Old 15th April 2004, 08:28   #1
Heartzzz2

Send a message via Yahoo to Heartzzz2
Its Crashing HELP!!!!!

Hey guys i need help!!! purty purty please. On saturday i had my entire drive wiped out and Windows XP Professional installed on my computer. I am to get Winamp and downloaded the new 5.03 version. Well for some reason it runs great for about 30 minutes and when i get a pop up, or sometimes when i open a new browser window or some times just out of no where.......it gives me a messsage that it has caused an error and needs to shut down. i have clicked on the MORE INFO link it gives me and it refers me to a web page for downloading Windows Media Player 9. im SOOOOOO lost. why would winamp closing down refer me to another media player?

i uninstalled it and reinstalled hoping that would fix it but it didnt. still have the same problem. Can anyone please help me? Never had problems with winamp 3 before and just tried to download and use that one and i got the same thing. WHYYYYYYYYYYY i have songs on my back up hard drive that i tried to play in both and most of them play but i just clicked on one in winamp3 and it opened the browser again to download media player. Could my songs have been saved as .WMP instead of MP3 and THAT be cuasing the problem?? If so how can i change them to MP3 again??? im desperate here guys please help. ty
Heartzzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 12:14   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

At a guess, the browser pop-ups are happening when you try to play drm-protected WMA files, but you lost the licences for these when you reformatted your pc, so winamp/windows is trying to (re)acquire the licences...

In other words, those files are useless, and you might as well just delete them.

This is the price you pay for ripping to drm-protected wma format.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 19:42   #3
Heartzzz2

Sorry for sounding stupid but what are DRM-protected wma format. im not all to familiar with this stuff. What Licenses do i need?
Old 15th April 2004, 20:18   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, if you ripped your CD's with Windows Media Player,
then it saves the files in the WMA format by default.
Another wonderful default WiMP setting is to enable copy protection.
What this does is apply a DRM (Digital/Personal Rights Management) licence to each file you rip.
This means that the files will only be playable on the computer they were ripped/created on, as long as the DRM Licence file is present, in tact and valid.
If you reformat your computer without backing up these licences, then the WMA files are as good as useless, and can never be played again.
If the WMA file specifies that it is DRM protected, but the licence cannot be located on the computer in the specified dir, then the application (Winamp, in this case) will attempt to locate a licence to play the files. The default location is some Microsoft Windows Media site....

This is all speculation, btw.
I'm not 100% certain if this is the cause of your problem or not.

What is the file format & extension of these files?
(ie. the ones you're playing when the problem occurs)
Do they have .wma on the end?

Have you got Windows Media Player 9 installed?
Or are you still using the v8.1 version which comes with WinXP?
What is the version # of wmvcore.dll in your Windows\System32 folder?

When you get the error message, it should say:
To view details about this error, click here (or words to that effect).
When you click on "click here", does it say that the faulting module is wmvcore.dll ?

However, if the files are definitely .mp3 files and not .wma
then the problem obviously lies elsewhere...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 20:24   #5
Heartzzz2

Your awesome. Thank you. If i remember correctly then a few of the files i do have i did bring them up from some of my cds and thats whats going on. Im trying to find out which ones are the wma so that i can delete them and just download the song all over so its saved as mp3. i dont think its many of them so it shouldnt be too much trouble. thanks so much for your help and if this doesnt solve all the problems then belive me you will hear from me again asking for more help hehehehe.
Old 19th April 2004, 03:16   #6
cordielys

Hi, I am having a similar problem, but I don't have anything with .wma (if I rip anything I make sure to change it). I deleted and then redownloaded winamp hoping this would fix it, but no such luck. It will be playing fine and then just stop, I tried to look under more info about the problem but I don't understand computer language and couldn't find a place where it actually said what caused the problem (arghh). If you have any idea as to what it could be, any help would be greatly appreciated.
cordielys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support