Old 23rd January 2006, 12:05   #41
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
A skeptic is not a scientist, strictly speaking. I already said that.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 12:49   #42
zootm
Forum King

You didn't quote anything, I'm not sure what you're referring to — I was trying to only reply to the equation of scientific falsehoods with religious ones, for most of that post.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:58   #43
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
That's not the point of science. The point of science is to increase our understanding, and those who embrace it are simply those that wish to know more.
Really?. And how much money did we toss down the toilet over the fraud of cold fusion?.

And I can take a half hour drive to see a fission reactor that never produced any energy. While I am paying for the worthless bastard being dismantled in my electric bill.

Did the scientists involved know they were stuffed clean full of blueberry muffins... yep... did that stop the fraud?.. nope ....

We don't even want to go into the fraud of medical research..

Or billions on space programs that don't work.... to get the ball point pen?.

Eventually religion finds it's fraud too, but certainly not any slower than science.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 14:16   #44
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I can't wait for "The DaVinci Code" movie.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:23   #45
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Really?. And how much money did we toss down the toilet over the fraud of cold fusion?.
You seem to have quoted the wrong part of my post. Besides, cold fusion's theory is still thought of as possibly-sound, although the experimental evidence was (as I mentioned in my post that it would be) fairly easily disproved.

Quote:
Did the scientists involved know they were stuffed clean full of blueberry muffins... yep... did that stop the fraud?.. nope ....
You've lost me. Your argument seems to be that fraudsters pretending to be scientists pulled off some form of con, and somehow science is to blame? Is there an ounce of logic in that? I assume I've misunderstood this.

Quote:
When it's biased by money, it ain't science. Results must be reproducible, if they're not (whether by cost-of-entry or by restriction by trade secrecy systems), it's hardly a convincing scientific proof.

One particularly sad tale about medical research is that one company found that their medicine for relieving the symptoms of some types of stomach ulcer (if I remember correctly) was found to cure the ulcer completely if taken along with a specific antibiotic. The manufacturer of said medicine have issued an advisory not to do this, and it is now illegal for doctors to prescribe the two together.

Medical research is a horrible thing to look at sometimes, since it's one of the areas where the cracks between "free capitalism for the good of everyone" and morality begin to show. Of course, one could argue that this is more the fault of the laws in place to "protect research investment", and that without these laws the investment wouldn't be made at all, but it still leads to some ******dly-horrific things.

Quote:
Eventually religion finds it's fraud too, but certainly not any slower than science.
When "religion finds it is fraud", you let me know. All of your examples have been proven cases of fraud. Proving Mary wasn't a virgin or God doesn't hate gays is something more of a task.

Old 23rd January 2006, 15:27   #46
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
And which philosophy did you want to embrace?. A philosophy of morality or one of decadence.
I wasn't aware this was a buffet...

Your buffet sucks. Only two items on the menu?

Quote:
The ideal of a priest... the worship of God. The ideal of the atheist... to be God.

Quote:
Of course there have been abuses with faith in Christianity. But Christianity has a durable morality that has been around for centuries. Has it been abused?... sure... and Christians are the first to recognize that.
Reasonable.

Quote:
Then we have the other side of the coin, which is atheists. They have no morality, save what they made up in their head.
From my perspective, you have no morality, save what someone else made up in their head. Are you implying that that is better?

Quote:
Christians with a clear moral mandate and atheists with none.
There are many Atheists with a clear moral philosophy, and Christians with none...

Quote:
So I guess if you want to run around and screw everything in sight, kill your unborn children and find platonic excuses for any misdeed, then atheism is the RELIGION for you.
Well, it seems to me that killing an unborn child is better than killing a fully grown one for gluttony and drunkenness.

Quote:
Your morality doesn't have to follow human traditions, much less the moral code of Christians.
So what you're saying is we're free to make progress?

Quote:
Despite the abuses, the morality remains.
Does it? Do you really believe that?

Quote:
And what is the motive of atheists?.
Ah, what is the motive of Atheists? You might just have to ask a particular person and find out what his response is.

Quote:
Certainly not to EXCEED the morals of Christians....
Yes, because Atheists have this book, which all follow, and... shit, wait, let me start over.

Quote:
If it feels good do it?
Which explains why all Atheists are drug addicts! Of course!

Quote:
No God... so it doesn't really matter huh?.
Clearly you have struck upon why every Atheist in the world has killed themselves in despair.

Quote:
Certainly no more than Christians toss down the toilet every Sunday.

Quote:
And I can take a half hour drive to see a fission reactor that never produced any energy. While I am paying for the worthless bastard being dismantled in my electric bill.
A fission reactor that never produced any energy...? So what dumbass is responsible for that? We've had very functional fission reactors for a long time.

Quote:
?!

Quote:
Right, the expected life span going up about 15 years over the last 60 is just... um... fuck, what are you attributing that to, now?

Quote:
Or billions on space programs that don't work.... to get the ball point pen?.
Are you talking about the Fisher space pen, which was developed independently from NASA at the sole expense of a private firm, or are you referring to successfully landing on the moon, or possibly, say, the GPS system, landing a rover on Mars? Which of those things are not working?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but how exactly do you find fraud in faith?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:36   #47
zootm
Forum King

Err, yeah, that's probably better worded than mine.

Old 23rd January 2006, 15:41   #48
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

What will the religious zealots do when they find out that their "God" is a little green man?
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:50   #49
mikm
Major Dude

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:52   #50
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Did someone say that all atheists are incapable of being moral?

Thats almost as broad a generalisation as saying that all christians are nutjobs. But everyday, that particular generalisation is looking more and more true

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:30   #51
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
All this argument, geez.
Atheists don't think God is real. Christians, among others, do. Thus they disagree. Not all atheists are immoral and not all Christians are mad and only a small sample of either group is hellbent on forcing their beliefs on those who believe differently, but nobody's gonna change anybody's mind here, these are deep-set beliefs.
/Agnostic

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:43   #52
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

load of bullshit...

first of all, let me make an assertions, atheism is primarily a western phenonemon - do we agree? Then let's establish the fact that i'm a Dane (well im born in Sweden, but i've lived in Denmark for 93% of my life), a quite standard western society.

Hence i brought up in a society based upen the Lutheran branch of Christianity, Denmark have been official a christian nation since 965 when King Harald Blåtand converted to Christianity. Hence the society customs, moral obligations etc. have evolved for more than 1000 years under christianity.

My parents, like most parents, have brought me up, so that i would be able to fit into society, to be able to to do this, i have learned to respect my neighboor, to treat others the way i want them to treat me, not to steal, not to kill, not to intentionally harm other people. Does that sound like my parents give me a good christian upbringing?

Well, i come from a home without a bible, my parents have allways denounced God to me, when I asked questions I was allways told the scientific explanation...

and i've only twice been involved a fight in my adult life, and they've both involved someone hurting someone i loved, i've never cheated on a girlfriend, the worst thing I ever stole was a bottle of Coke in 4th grade, i've allways stood up for the underdog, and i do volentary work for drug addicts at a, may i add, christian mission in Copenhagens hard neighboorhood. But i can see clearly that all that don't count, because i don't believe in God, i do it out of selfishness, or whatever motivation you think atheists have to do good

but your good book gives you the right to judge Maria, who got pregnant by accident, because the pills didn't do its job, so she have to give up her education, to feed a child she didn't choose to have in the first place, or little Sarah who was raped in an alley on her way home from church...

It also gives you the right to put to men who have happened to fall in love with eachother in the same category as child molesters and people who have sex with animals or dead corpses.

No thanks - I'll rather keep my bad morality, and keep respecting the people around me.

Last edited by ertmann|CPH; 23rd January 2006 at 16:59.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:45   #53
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Someday, THEY are going to come up with adisinfectant strong enough to get rid of our entire infectious universe.
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:11   #54
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by MegaRock
I have a detachable brain.
everyone does. It's the re-attaching part that gets messy though
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:33   #55
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
I suppose what the real question is, is would it really make a difference if God were real? And if so, what difference? What great change in your life, here and now, would occur if you were wrong?

I feel that those who believe, do so for it's convenience. Think about it: before the Earth were professed round, did it make any difference in the everyday life of the common citizens? And how can we even be sure today that the Earth is spherical? Would you be upset if you were proved wrong? As rockouthippie said, "...truth is subjective." We only believe that the Earth is so because it's convenient to our operations.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:38   #56
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by gaekwad2
How much historical evidence do you need?

There are tons of records, as opposed to one book written by an interested party.
one book, composed of multiple manuscripts from various authors. Also there are a number of other manuscripts that did not make it into the bible, do a search for the gnostic gospels. Josepheus writes briefly about Christ as well.

Do you believe that Aristotle existed? why? there is much more documentary evidence that Jesus was a real person than there is for Aristotle. Do you believe that Jusius Ceasar was a roman emperor? why?

There is so much documented writings that point to Jesus being an actual person who lived on this earth that to argue against it is stupid. Besides believeing that Jesus existed and believe he was the son of God are two completely different things. Believeing that there was some dude named Jesus 2000 years ago in Israel who started a cult of the Jewish religion has no impact on your atheist belief. These simple facts do not prove or disprove God's existence.
Refusal to believe that Jesus even lived does prove something about you though.

Why don't Atheists argue with Muslims about whether or not Mohammad existed?
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:41   #57
Mattress
Forum King

whoopsie, double post
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 17:49   #58
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
Hence i brought up in a society based upen the Lutheran branch of Christianity
And do you think those values are good values?.

You obviously didn't sue the minister for putting out the church bulletin.

And you follow the christian based moral code that is your heritage, even without a belief in God.

A christian heritage?.

I would also imagine that you didn't run down to the church saying Hitler was a catholic and that all the ills of the world were caused by this morality... a christian morality?.

The christian morality that you follow without even believing in God....
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:33   #59
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
And you follow the christian based moral code that is your heritage, even without a belief in God.
The thought that we owe morality to our heritage doesn't stand to criticism, though. Some moral rules are self-evident to all who are not mentally challenged in some way, without the need for a religious heritage. Some morals are passed down by those who do not have a religious heritage.

Removing religion from morality allows morality to become more rational. It allows it to change when we know it is wrong.

My morals are as close to those of Islam as they are to those of Presbyterianism (The Kirk). I don't believe we need religion to give us morality. It's acted as an excuse for it in the past, but I feel we are beyond the stage where we need some "authority on morality" which is linked to a religion.

Old 23rd January 2006, 18:42   #60
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Also large parts of this moral code are much older than christianity.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:01   #61
zootm
Forum King

I had meant to make that point, yes. The most common parts of moral codes are common to most religions which put a claim over morality.

Old 23rd January 2006, 19:45   #62
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Back on topic, gentlemen:

Isn't this lawsuit a misuse of the legal system? Even the French ones? It seems like he's just using this suit to try and make a religious statement.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 20:08   #63
mikm
Major Dude

Yes, in the sense that it is pretty dumb to sue a church about religious stuff in a church bulletin.