Old 3rd August 2014, 23:56   #1
Lou Sander

Updating Library Information

I've just installed v 5.666 on my Windows 7 machine. I had Winamp long ago, so I'm sort of accustomed to it.

This installation is for one single purpose: to play 100 songs that are in a folder currently on my desktop (but it may be moved elsewhere). These songs have nothing to do with the many other songs on my computer.

I don't want Winamp updating any of my songs with something it might find on the Internet (art, artist, etc.). I just want it to play my 100 songs. So I have (I think) disabled any looking into the Internet.

When I installed Winamp, I set up my library to be these 100 songs, and so far everything works fine.

But I have recently updated some of the data on the songs in my folder -- some dates, the album name, and some Genres, to be specific.

How do I get Winamp to forget the old data in the library/folder and to pick up the newest version?
Lou Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 00:13   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Lou,

If you want to start a new media library database go to the General Preferences - Media Library - Local Library - Options tab. Click the "Clear Library" button at the bottom. Then switch to the Watch Folders tab, add the folder(s) containing the songs you want (remove any other folders) and click the "Rescan now" button.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 00:22   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

I'm not entirely sure to get what you mean, but if I'm not wrong, all the solutions to your problem are in:
01 Watch folders (preferences -> Media library -> Local Library -> Watch folders tab)
02 Smart views

In the first you tell to Winamp where to look for your music. If you set it up, it will update your library like you want (see the options around to adjust it to your needs)

In the second one, you can create a Smart view to show only the 100 particular songs. You can do this in the Media Library by Right click on "Local library" -> Add Smart View (see attached for an example set up).
Alternatively, you can edit the (usually) first view called Music to NOT show those 100 songs (one way is to change the field where it says "Begins with" for "Does not equal" ..and the path of the 100 songs folder).

Hope I'm being helpful. Ask again if you don't get something (or if I didn't get something right hehe).

EDIT: Aminifu's reply wasn't there when I started writing.. I see both went through the same road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartvexample.png
Views:	115
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	51330  
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 02:17   #4
Lou Sander

Thanks, guys! Aminifu's suggestion fixed it.

I want to send my folder with 100 songs to some friends who like the music, but are very unfamiliar with computer stuff. I'd like to also send them some MP3-playing software that has minimal capabilities -- in other words it will only play those 100 songs, maybe with some control over which song is playing, which one will play next, etc. It would be good, but isn't absolutely necessary, if it had some sort of playlist capability -- shuffle, resequence, etc.

Winamp has far too many features for them to be comfortable with it.

Can somebody suggest a kindergarten-style MP3 player program?
Old 4th August 2014, 03:05   #5
ChiggyChiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
Thanks, guys! Aminifu's suggestion fixed it.

I want to send my folder with 100 songs to some friends who like the music, but are very unfamiliar with computer stuff. I'd like to also send them some MP3-playing software that has minimal capabilities -- in other words it will only play those 100 songs, maybe with some control over which song is playing, which one will play next, etc. It would be good, but isn't absolutely necessary, if it had some sort of playlist capability -- shuffle, resequence, etc.

Winamp has far too many features for them to be comfortable with it.

Can somebody suggest a kindergarten-style MP3 player program?
Winamp Lite Its the stripped down version of Winamp thats down to the basics!

Btw, im not sure if you meant this, but if you meant to reread the new tags of the same file, then right click on the files and choose "Reread metadata on selected files"

*If you have issues with Winamp, ensure you have the currently latest version Winamp v5.666 build 3516 & its patches that fix several issues
*To remove the currently dead Winamp online stuff, see here: removing online stuff
*If you miss the Autotag feature: Gracenote CDDB Autotag alternatives
ChiggyChiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 12:48   #6
Lou Sander

Thanks!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support