Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 31st May 2011, 07:02   #1
nitromix

Send a message via Yahoo to nitromix
Student, need more technical documentation about shoutcast and icy protocol

Hello,

I'm student, and i have to make a college thesis about streaming. I'm looking for more information about SHOUTcast server and ICY Protocol. Please let me know where i can find more documentation, ICY Protocol diagram (header, how works, etc...). What i found till now are only on wikipedia, and not so detailed

I really appreciate any official document to help me on my college thesis.

Thank you

Best regards,
NitroMix
nitromix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 09:12   #2
DrO

http://forums.radiotoolbox.com/viewtopic.php?t=74 is one of the better ones but there's no real formal documentation provided for ICY, with only the SC2.0 protocol provided on http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Developer

i should probably sort out some sort of legacy ICY documentation to consolidate things into one place but that's really low on the list of things.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 11:39   #3
nitromix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
http://forums.radiotoolbox.com/viewtopic.php?t=74 is one of the better ones but there's no real formal documentation provided for ICY, with only the SC2.0 protocol provided on http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Developer

i should probably sort out some sort of legacy ICY documentation to consolidate things into one place but that's really low on the list of things.

-daz
Thanks daz,

But on thesis i need some official documentation, i hope can someone from AOL or someone from develop team to give me some more details, about icy header, at what layer work (i suppose it's layer5), how create pachets and send over the shoutcast server, etc ...

Thanks

regards,
Nitromix
Old 31st May 2011, 11:45   #4
DrO

as i said in my previous post, i should probably sort out some sort of legacy ICY documentation (as i'm the dev team at the moment) but the old ICY system isn't the main focus of the time i have so what i linked too is about the best you're going to be getting and that i can really provide for the time being (i can have a look around but i've more pressing things to get done).

-daz
Old 1st June 2011, 05:22   #5
nitromix

Hi daz,

That will be great if you can send me anything you can about streaming process and ICY protocol (even is about new ICY protocol), also if you have any other documentation about streaming process, diagrams, anything it's welcome

Thanks again

PS: I'm so disappointed as are not so many books about streaming (personal i learn about this process testing and using). Many use this but it's so less documented, and wikipedia as source it's not accepted 100% on college thesis . All books what i found (we can count on fingers) are so old, and many are about realaudio stream or windows media.

Best regards,
Nitromix
Old 1st June 2011, 08:57   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromix View Post
That will be great if you can send me anything you can about streaming process and ICY protocol (even is about new ICY protocol), also if you have any other documentation about streaming process, diagrams, anything it's welcome
well everything official provided is in the developer section off the wiki (which i linked to a few posts back) which fully documents the SC2 protocol. i may have found some internal docs about the SC1 protocol (though it's more an overview than implementation) but will need to check it over before pushing it onto the wiki at some point in the next 2 weeks (no point in publishing something which isn't right).

-daz
Old 1st June 2011, 21:29   #7
nitromix

Quote:
well everything official provided is in the developer section off the wiki (which i linked to a few posts back) which fully documents the SC2 protocol. i may have found some internal docs about the SC1 protocol (though it's more an overview than implementation) but will need to check it over before pushing it onto the wiki at some point in the next 2 weeks (no point in publishing something which isn't right).

-daz

Hi daz,

2 weeks will be late for me i have to done something this week. It''s not possible to send me some material on email or somewhere?

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:07   #8
DrO

Quote:
internal docs about the SC1 protocol (though it's more an overview than implementation) but will need to check it over before pushing it onto the wiki
2 weeks is the best timescale i can work against as i've got other things with the tools and site to otherwise work on (that may sound harsh but getting the v2 authhash usability resolved is my main focus currently). and i'm probably going to have to work through the docs during the weekend to get it done in that time scale. additionally there's no point in providing information in some official form which may not even be valid (which is then no use to anyone).

-daz
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:51   #9
nitromix

Thanks daz

You are really great guy, sad as i can not get any official support as student from AOL/SHOUTcast, but that is , i will write from experience not from "books".

Thanks again

Regards,
Nitromix
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
icy, streaming, student