Old 23rd February 2002, 05:43   #1
vletr

open/run dialog box annoyance

I've fixed this before ages ago, but now that I'm on a new computer, I've forgotten how to remedy the situation...
Basically all I want is to have the open/run dialog box to pop up when i click on an mp3 like in my browser (Internet Explorer). I've gone into the Folder Options/File Types window many many times and to "confirm open after download" box is always checked... so what on earth do I do to stop mp3s from automatically downloading? I've run out of things to try, it seems
vletr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 08:56   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

in windows explorer

tools/folder options/(click the file types tab)

scroll down to mp3....

click advanced

and make sure the 'confirm open after download' box is checked
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 09:55   #3
vletr

That's just the problem. It is checked, but it acts like it's unchecked. No box. grr.
Old 23rd February 2002, 13:07   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Is Winamp your default MP3 player?
ie. are MP3, M3U and PLS all selected in Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes?

Are you sure these links are to MP3's and not M3U or PLS playlists?
ie. also make sure "confirm open after download" is selected for M3U & PLS.

btw, what is your Windows OS ?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2002, 21:52   #5
vletr

Winamp is my default player, the "confirm open." boxes are checked for both mp3s and playlists, and i'm running win 98se.
Can't imagine what's going on...
Old 23rd February 2002, 23:08   #6
vletr

Slight update: when downloading an mp3 from an ftp in msie (acronyms rule@!) the dialog box comes up. When the mp3 is being downloaded from an http address, it automatically starts. Dunno if that's going to help any, but uh. That's what happens.
Old 23rd February 2002, 23:23   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It sounds like some other player's messed up your windows file associations, probably one of WMP7, RP8/RealOne, QT5, or MMJB ???

Is "MP3 File" listed as a separate file extension in Windows Folder Options,
or is it listed under "Winamp Media File" (as it should be in Win9x) ?
If it's seperate, delete it,
and again make sure MP3 is selected in Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes.

Apart from editing the registry, I can't think of much else at the mo.
Old 24th February 2002, 00:22   #8
vletr

All that is set up like it should be. The "confirm open" box for the Winamp playlist file type does seem to uncheck itself, though, whenever i re-open Winamp. Aside from that, everything looks as though it should work. I know I've fixed this before without messing around in the registry at all, but if that's what I have to do...
Old 24th February 2002, 04:59   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, well can you confirm whether it's Winamp Playlist Files (PLS / M3U)
or Winamp Media Files (MP3, etc) that you're having the problem with ?!?!
I'm starting to get a bit confused now....

Try unchecking "register files on Winamp start" in Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes.
Old 24th February 2002, 05:48   #10
vletr

Hm, unchecking the "register files.." box doesn't do a thing..
It's mp3s i'm having trouble with. When I left click on the url linking to an mp3 it automatically opens it instead of giving me an open/save dialog. i've even gone as far as removing Winamp playlists from my file associations and it's still giving me trouble. Winamp is the only player I have so I don't know what could be causing this. I guess I'm just as confused as you are..
Old 24th February 2002, 11:32   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Look, this is why I'm confused....
You keep referring to MP3's and playlists as the same thing, but they're not.
Maybe if you provided some examples of these url's that you're clicking,
then I can confirm for you whether they are direct links to MP3's, or whether they are links to M3U or PLS playlists (which in turn link to MP3's).

Once I know for sure, then I can (maybe) provide you with a regfix.

What I'm saying is, say for example you clicked the "select all" button in
Winamp Prefs -> Filetypes, then in Windows Folder Options you'll have two separate entries for Winamp's associated filetypes:
1) Winamp Media File (MP3, MP2, MP1, WAV, MID, MOD, WMA, CDA, etc etc)
2) Winamp Playlist File (M3U, PLS)

I need to know for sure, which of the two we're dealing with here!

Basically, by default, when Winamp is the default player, clicking a direct link to an MP3 should present you with the Save/Run dialog, of which the default checkmark should be "save to disk" (with the option to "run from current location" if you wish). Either way, the whole MP3 will then start downloading to your HD, either to the specified folder, or to the Temporary Internet Files dir respectively.

When you click a link to a M3U or PLS playlist, then the Save/Run dialog box should briefly flash on and off the screen and the playlist should automatically open in Winamp without any user interaction.
This is why I'm convinced you are clicking links to M3U/PLS playlists, not MP3's.

Also, can you please confirm whether or not you've installed any of the players I referred to above.

Awaiting your url's . . . . .
Old 24th February 2002, 20:10   #12
vletr

It is, as I have said before, it's mp3s I'm downloading - not playlists. I have, in fact, removed all traces of mcu and pls from my file associations.
And they are mp3s and not playlists I'm having trouble with - I've been trying to get stuff from the following:

http://www.vgmix.com
http://www.mono211.com
http://www.epitonic.com

and here's a specific mp3 url:
http://http.se.scene.org/pub/demos/s...nadittydub.mp3

Grah. I don't know why, but downloading from an ftp address works the way I want it to, but downloading from an http just automatically starts downloading to my temporary internet files, acting exactly like a playlist..

The only other media player I have installed at this time is Windows Media player, and I've made sure not to have mp3s associated with it.
Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2002, 06:37   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Well, I've checked some of those places, and clicked the direct link to the mp3 too, and everything works as it should for me . . . so . . . hmmm . . . maybe the installation of WMP7 has messed up the EditFlags for MP3 in the registry?

Please confirm again (I asked this earlier but didn't get a definite reply) that MP3 is listed under the "Winamp Media File" section in Folder Options -> File Types, and NOT under it's own separate MP3 File entry.
ie. say if you've associated MP3, MP2, MP1, WAV, MID, MOD all with Winamp (via Winamp Prefs), then in Win9x, all these extensions will be listed together under the one single "Winamp Media File" entry . . . and it's this one single "Winamp Media File" entry which needs to have "confirm open after download" checkmarked.

btw, it's not going to be easy for me to provide an auto regfix, mainly because I'm a clever bugger and set up my associations manually . . . initially so I could use a different icon for each filetype, but for MP3 I've also installed an MP3 Info shell extension which displays a different icon for each different bitrate, so I can't just copy my Win98 reg entries for you to use, because they won't be compatible.
Old 25th February 2002, 08:07   #14
vletr

Yup, mp3s are associated with Winamp and nothing else. Hm.

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far. It seems kind of strange that nobody else has said anything about this problem before - it's happened to me on a different setup altogether, so it's not just some fluke thing, I think...
Old 25th February 2002, 18:37   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What Content Type (MIME) is set for Winamp Media File? (c/o Edit button)
Old 25th February 2002, 19:57   #16
vletr

Um, there isn't one! What should it be, audio/mp3 or....?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support