Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Closed Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 22:41   #1
loulp

Deleting files in winamp PERMANENTLY DELETES them from COMPUTER

Having reorganized my music, I decided to delete the list of songs already my winamp music file so as to start fresh. What I naively didn't realize, (it is not my experience with any other media platform I've used) is that when one deletes audio files, Winamp ALSO PERMANENTLY DELETES ALL the same ORIGINAL MASTER MUSIC FILES ON COMPUTER. BEWARE TO OTHER INNOCENT USERS (used to other media platforms THAT NEVER DO THIS!) that if you click on the winamp "delete files" button you will also lose all the associated master files they've been copied from, even if on an external hard disk! Not to be found in the waste bin either!! I can't believe that Winamp developers have taken the liberty to write a program that destroys a user's original files, when it not more complex to write a program that doesn't!

CRUCIAL QUESTIONS:
Since files not deleted into bin, what does Winamp actually do with the original master files that it deletes?
Is there any possible way for me to recover the +6000 SONGS COLLECTED OVER 5 YEARS that your media has just permanently deleted from my computer? Please help!!
Old 6th July 2007, 22:51   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
If you deleate the file from the playlist, it removes it from the playlist and no where else. If you are experiancying any other effects, you might have a third-party plugin installed. Delete all third-party plugins and do a clean install.

If you select the option to permanently delete from the remove menu, it will do just that. Expecting it to do anything else is just silly.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 6th July 2007, 22:52   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

um?

winamp can't delete your files unless you have a plugin to do so, or your using the "rem->rem misc->physically remove selected files" command and even then it asks to if your sure you want to delete it.

if you deleted anything then you've done something very wrong.

i say again winamp does NOT delete anyones files.
Old 6th July 2007, 23:42   #4
loulp

Thanks for quick replies. Sawg states "If you select the option to permanently delete from the remove menu, it will do just that". I DID WANT to PERMANENTLY delete them 'on winamp media' so I could put on new music and reselect playlists. I did not EXPECT NOR WANT winamp to PERMANENTLY remove MY MASTER FILES at same time. My master files have nothing to do with winamp media platform! and winamp should be able to remove them!
Rocker, may understand that I am furious that winamp deleted 3 albums of Jamiroquai on my hard disk.
You say winamp doesn't delete anything. But I just read in Winamp support that deleting files in winamp permanently deletes same files stored on computer! Unfortunately this was not clear when you delete COPIES of files in winamp.
Solutions? Where does winamp send the master files it deletes? There must be a solution for getting them stored back on my computer. I tried Data recovery software - no success!
Should I be asking these questions on another forum?
Old 6th July 2007, 23:54   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Please explain the exact step-by-step method that you used to delete said files.

eg.

1) Added files to Winamp Playlist
2) Clicked the Rem button at the bottom of the playlist
3) then selected "Remove -> Physically remove selected files"
4) Clicked 'Yes' to confirm the physical deletion of said files

Note, ^that^ is the only native method of deleting files from your hard drive in Winamp.

To just remove files from the playlist without physically deleting them from the hard drive, you just highlight the playlist entries and hit the Delete key on your keyboard (or use the "Rem button > Remove selected", or right-click the entries and select "Remove items").

If you erroneously used the "physically delete" option instead, then by default Winamp sends those files to the Recycle Bin, according to the option in: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > General Preferences > Recycle permanently deleted files.

Did you maybe uncheck this option?

If you used some other method to physically delete the files, then please state it clearly, and also include a "List of Plugins" in your reply:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
Old 6th July 2007, 23:54   #6
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
If you went to the Rem > Remove... > "Physically remove selected files(s)" in the playlist editor, then they are gone, forever. They aren't moved, they are deleted.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 7th July 2007, 01:06   #7
loulp

Thanks again. It's 2am here in France. What started out as an hour job has turned into a 10h saga!!
I haven't been using winamp much in last year as found the winamp 5 less user-friendly than winamp 4 that was visually clearer for me. On the otherhand I've been missing the shoutcast radio stations so today I was trying to get used to the new winamp 5 format. Since I wanted to delete the entire audio library dating from 2 years ago so I could create a new one, I most probably clicked on the 'remove permanently' button. That menu would seem the logical if you want to get rid of a list of music on a media so you could load in a new list. And this is what I do if I'm on itunes or windows media - I delete an entire list or music library and create another. However this does not delete the master copies that the list has been compiled from. All the original music files stay where they have been saved on my computor - only the copies created on itunes or windows media is deleted. Same as when you make a copy of any microsoft or photo etc file you have...deleting a copy does not delete the original file. SWAG say winamp DOES DELETE THE ORIGINAL FILE as well!! This is what I protest is unrightful for any media platform to do...and I sincerely hope that there is a way these destroyed master files can somehow be recovered.
I do thank you however DJ EGG for trying to help me find some solution. In answer to your questions:
-Winamp 5.35
-Plugins - First time I've ever looked at them and don't know anything about...however I've never configured them or added any other plugins. So they are certainly just the regular plugins that are on the normal version of 5.35 when it is 1st downloaded. Followed your instructions and generated a text file of plugins
Old 7th July 2007, 01:09   #8
loulp

files deleted permanently

Installed Winamp plugin list
Generated by 'One for Nunz v2.83' on 7/7/2007 at 3:04:51 AM

<< Winamp Information >>

Winamp.ini path is: C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.ini
Plugin directory is: C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins
Visualisation directory is: C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins
DSP directory is: C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins
Skin directory is: C:\Program Files\Winamp\skins

Using Winamp version: 5.35 (Build 1305)
Current skin: D-Reliction.wal (Modern skin)
Sonic Burning Engine is not installed

<< OS Information >>

Running on: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Memory available: 523760 KB

<< Input plugins >>

Nullsoft CD plug-in (CDDB2) v3.11 [in_cdda.dll]
Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder v0.96 [in_dshow.dll]
Nullsoft FLAC Decoder 2.01 [in_flac.dll]
Nullsoft LineIn plug-in v3.1 [in_linein.dll]
Nullsoft MIDI player 3.09 [in_midi.dll]
Nullsoft Module Decoder v2.2.12 (x86) [in_mod.dll]
Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder 4.06 [in_mp3.dll]
Nullsoft MP4 demuxer v0.71 [in_mp4.dll]
Nullsoft NSV Decoder v1.05 [in_nsv.dll]
Nullsoft Vorbis Decoder v1.42 [in_vorbis.dll]
Nullsoft Waveform Decoder v2.06 [in_wave.dll]
Nullsoft WMA plug-in v2.14(x86) [in_wm.dll]

<< Output plugins >>

Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v2.0c (x86) [out_disk.dll]
DirectSound output v2.41 (d) [out_ds.dll] [active]
waveOut output v2.1 (d) [out_wave.dll]

<< Visualisation plugins >>

Advanced Visualization Studio v2.81b [vis_avs.dll] [active]
MilkDrop 1.04b [vis_milk.dll]
Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen 2001 (v2.05) [vis_nsfs.dll]

<< DSP plugins >>

Nullsoft Signal Processing Studio DSP v0.36 [dsp_sps.dll]

<< General Purpose plugins >>

Nullsoft Global Hotkeys v1.3 [gen_hotkeys.dll]
Jump To File Extra v0.96fg [gen_jumpex.dll]
Nullsoft Winamp Library v3.12 [gen_ml.dll]
One for Nunz v2.83 [gen_nunzio.dll]
Nullsoft Tray Control v0.2 [gen_tray.dll]

<< Media Library plugins >>

Nullsoft Dashboard v1.01 [ml_dash.dll]
Nullsoft Now Playing v2.03 [ml_nowplaying.dll]
Nullsoft Bookmarks v1.04 [ml_bookmarks.dll]
Nullsoft History v1.04 [ml_history.dll]
Nullsoft Local Media v1.61 [ml_local.dll]
Nullsoft Playlists v1.09 [ml_playlists.dll]
Nullsoft Rip & Burn v1.14 [ml_disc.dll]
Nullsoft Online Services v1.5 [ml_online.dll]
Nullsoft Portable Music Player Support v1.2 [ml_pmp.dll]
Nullsoft Replay Gain Analyzer v1.04 [ml_rg.dll]
Nullsoft Format Converter v2.21 [ml_transcode.dll]

<< Portable Media Player plugins >>

Nullsoft iPod Plug-in v0.56 [pmp_ipod.dll]
Nullsoft Creative NJB Plug-in v0.52 [pmp_njb.dll]
Nullsoft PlaysForSure Plug-in v0.62 [pmp_p4s.dll]
Nullsoft USB Device Plug-in v0.54 [pmp_usb.dll]

<< Encoder plugins >>

[enc_aacplus.dll]
aacPlus (HE-AAC) Encoder v1.26
aacPlus (HE-AAC) High Bitrate Encoder v1.26
LC-AAC Encoder v1.26
MP4/aacPlus (HE-AAC) Encoder v1.26
MP4/aacPlus (HE-AAC) High Bitrate Encoder v1.26
MP4/LC-AAC Encoder v1.26
[enc_flac.dll]
FLAC Encoder (Flake SVN r117)
[enc_lame.dll]
MP3 Encoder v1.21
[enc_vorbis.dll]
Ogg Vorbis encoder v1.0
[enc_wma.dll]
WMA Encoder v1.1

<< Summary of system components (*.w5s) >>
(These are not included in the plugin counts below)
aacPlusDecoder.w5s (356kb)
jnetlib.w5s (26kb)
playlist.w5s (31kb)
tagz.w5s (21kb)
xml.w5s (88kb)

<< Summary of all dlls in the root winamp folder (*.dll) >>
(These are not included in the plugin counts below)
burnlib.dll (82kb) [not loaded]
libFLAC.dll (124kb) [not loaded]
libmp4v2.dll (165kb) [not loaded]
nde.dll (84kb) [loaded]
nscrt.dll (344kb) [loaded]

<< Summary of installed plugins >>

12 Input plugins installed
3 Output plugins installed
3 Visualisation plugins installed
1 DSP plugin installed
5 General Purpose plugins installed
11 Media Library plugins installed
4 Portable Media Player plugins installed
5 Encoder plugins installed

Total: 44 plugins installed
Old 7th July 2007, 01:48   #9
loulp

3:30 am now and trying to fall asleep. What keeps going through my mind is: How could those original master files disappear from all their folders...all the folders in my hdisk are there but no music in them. Then only thing I know or heard of that can make files 'physically' disappear is if you delete from the bin, or if pc or external disk crashes. And in later case, if you've got right recovery program or computer expert, the files can be restored. As it is usually agreed, If files were once on your disk, they are still 'somewhere' on it, even if you can't see. So I can't understand how an external media platform can 'get into' my hard disk and destroy files that aren't on the winamp program. How do I find where winamp is hiding them? Smiles.. But tomorrow is a new day and I hope some genius out there has an answer out there for me...
Old 7th July 2007, 03:25   #10
Ayamatta_Kurash

When you use 'permanently delete' it permanently deletes the files. permanently. maybe you should have paid closer attention to the warning messages that appear when you click things.
By default winamp deletes them to the recycle bin, but chances are windows gave you a message saying 'this item is too large for the recycle bin, are you sure you want to delete it permanently?' and you probably clicked yes.
if your files aren't in Recycle bin, there gone forever, and you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 7th July 2007, 07:25   #11
loulp

Ayamatta_Kurash
Your reply is not helpful.
1) Researching information re this issue, I’ve found here on your site,
“Welcome to Winamp, Getting Started, Playlist Editing”
Rem (Remove) Button: Click this button for removal options.
• Remove selected files: Remove the selected tracks from the current playlist.
• Crop selected: Only keep the selected tracks, while removing others.
• Clear playlist: Remove all the tracks in the current playlist.
• Remove
• Remove all dead files : Remove tracks that have missing, moved, or deleted files.
• Physically remove selected file(s): Delete selected tracks from your computer.
Caution: Using this option will permanently remove the selected tracks from your computer and they will be irrecoverable.”

Therefore according to the above, and contrary to your claim
that ‘remove’ deletes to recycle bin, the files will be ‘irrecoverable’. Which also corresponds to the fact that I did not get the message 'this item is too large for the recycle bin, are you sure you want to delete it permanently?' which you say I probably missed, or should have read!

I maintain that Winamp should make this point much more obvious to the user AS and WHEN he is using menus – (and that do not require extensive reading PRIOR to using Winamp …). with a strong and REPEATED WARNING message, that ALL ORIGINAL FILES, AND NOT JUST THE COPIES ON PLAYLIST will be deleted AND IRRECOVERABLE IN RECYCLE BIN. And this BEFORE allowing the user to select this option – A feature included in just about every program I know of, where there's a popup message stating that selecting option in not recommended and can cause irreparable damage to files.

What would be helpful now, since I highly doubt that I am the 1st person that this has happened to, is to recommend a recovery program that is powerful enough to retrieve the original files deleted without the recycle bin. As I’ve already mentioned in former exchanges, I know that there are programs capable of recovering files destroyed by malicious viruses and hard disk failures. However, there are many on the market, and it is difficult to know which one might be capable of restoring the files winamp permanently took off my computer.
Thanks in advance to anyone for any recommendations concerning recovery solutions.
Old 7th July 2007, 13:17   #12
DBGARZA

In fact Winamp has that option of send the permanently deleted files to the recycle bin, just go to

Options>Preferences>General preferences where you can click to enable the option "Recycle permanently deleted files"

Here is the screenshot of the part I mention:

Though the only explanation is that you by accident disabled that option since by default it comes enabled.

As for a recovery program you can use Restorer2000 Pro, it is free to try but you need to pay for it in order to enable it to recover your files, also there is an important thing you have to do and that is not install it on the same disk the deleted files are because if you do it the program can get installed in the area where some of the files you want to recover used to be therefore making them unrecoverable.

I have used this program at work, I work in a computer business therefore I dealt with virus, damaged disks, spyware and that stuff, we use Restore 2000 with pretty good results

this is the program's website: http://www.restorer2000.com/
Old 7th July 2007, 14:45   #13
loulp

Thank you for your message is much more explanatory and helpful than last message I received.
I’ve looked at General Preferences, and recycle option is checked. In fact I’d formerly been using the 4 version and just download the new 5.35 winamp which I started using when file mishap occurred. So I hadn’t touched or even looked at any of the options. However this preference is good to know about in, for me and other users. The problem must therefore have happened for another reason…perhaps because too massive for recycle bin, even though I received no warning message.

This morning a computer expert friend sent me FILERECOVERY PROFESSIONAL which I think is comparable to one you are recommending. It will take hours before I know what it has found. Following on your advice that I do not install the program on the same disk as where lost files are… Can I run the program from the external hard disk to check files on the C disk? The original files were stored in the external HD, Winamp is on C disk which is where it imported + deleted files. So I’m not sure which disk I should be looking on?
Thanks again for your helpful comments
Old 7th July 2007, 16:11   #14
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

If you received no warning message, it's unlikely your files were deleted.

Have you searched your hard drive for the files? Maybe you ran some other program in the interim that has moved the files. Windows Media Player has a bad habit of automatically 'organizing' any files you've added to its library. I've run into this annoying feature while testing compatibility stuff.

You still havn't answered whether you simply removed the files from the playlist, or whether you selected the "physically remove" option and then acknowledged the warning message.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:21   #15
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
In fact I’d formerly been using the 4 version
Please post a link as to where you obtained this version.

Old 8th July 2007, 01:03   #16
DBGARZA

Quote:
Originally posted by loulp
Thank you for your message is much more explanatory and helpful than last message I received.
I’ve looked at General Preferences, and recycle option is checked. In fact I’d formerly been using the 4 version and just download the new 5.35 winamp which I started using when file mishap occurred. So I hadn’t touched or even looked at any of the options. However this preference is good to know about in, for me and other users. The problem must therefore have happened for another reason…perhaps because too massive for recycle bin, even though I received no warning message.

This morning a computer expert friend sent me FILERECOVERY PROFESSIONAL which I think is comparable to one you are recommending. It will take hours before I know what it has found. Following on your advice that I do not install the program on the same disk as where lost files are… Can I run the program from the external hard disk to check files on the C disk? The original files were stored in the external HD, Winamp is on C disk which is where it imported + deleted files. So I’m not sure which disk I should be looking on?
Thanks again for your helpful comments
As long as the external disk remains connected I don't see any problem in install the program there, the only detail would be that you won't be able to use the program when you disconnect the external drive but as soon you plug the drive back in the program will be available since it doesn't run any services nor startup routines when you start the computer you can install it on the external drive.

But seeing what you say that the files were on the external drive then the program should be on C, I mean physically the files were on the external drive the only thing that was saved on C must have been the playlist and it is one Winamp saves on its installation folder.

You see if you only are using the simple playlist view when you add files to it, and even when you save the .m3u file that is the playlist file in the folder you decide, when you close Winamp, the program also saves a playlist called winamp.m3u, that's the reason why when you open the program again, the playlist appears with the last song you played before close winamp selected.

But the physical mp3 files should be on the external drive, my advice first is that you make a search through both disks for mp3 files or any multimedia files since I don't know if besides mp3 you lost any other files, maybe they are still there but the location got changed.

If no files appear then use the program to recover them and if you said the physical files were on the external drive then the program can be installed on C: again always that you be sure the mp3 and any other multimedia files you missed were stored on the external drive.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:36   #17
SailorMax

Do we have any hotkey for this action?

[edit - Moderation]
thread closed 03 Feb 2012 as it keeps being targeted by spammers
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support