Old 6th October 2002, 23:26   #1
Mp3nutz

Send a message via ICQ to Mp3nutz
Winamp freezes yet continues playing. Can't stop it...

This is not your typical freezing situation. I appologize upfront because I know you don't want freezing messages posted on this board, but I'm pretty desperate.

First thing: This problem occurs with both directsound and waveout plugins.

I am under xp, trying to play music off my dad's computer which is connected by a 10 mbps network. Winamp starts the song immediately, so it doesn't appear to be lag as the music keeps playing with no skips, but winamp freezes, and freezes for a solid 30-45 seconds before allowing me to actually stop the music or control winamp at all. Winamp does this regardless of format over the network(tested with mostly mp3's and wma).

Also the problem is not entirely consistent. It happens 3 out of every 4 songs. This problem doesn't exist though when it's successive songs on a playlist, but rather on just opening a song via the open button, or opening a song in windows explorer.

Stats are: I'm running latest version of winamp2, 700 mhz, 128mb ram. SBlive(PCI) with latest drivers. Standard 10/100 mpbs network cards. My dad's computer stats(which I'm opening the music through the network from) are all the same except his sound card, which is irrelevant.I have no other known network problems, and other media players(including wmp and winamp3) play just fine. The freeze in winamp2 occurs regardless of what other programs are running(or none at all), and even when nothing is using the network, on any computer.

Last edited by Mp3nutz; 6th October 2002 at 23:56.
Mp3nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 00:19   #2
Sawg

Delete any third party plug-ins and complealty un-installa nd re-install Winamp.

TSGH > Offical 3rd-party Plugin Buglist > gen_nomad.dll
Old 7th October 2002, 00:33   #3
Mp3nutz

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Delete any third party plug-ins and complealty un-installa nd re-install Winamp.

TSGH > Offical 3rd-party Plugin Buglist > gen_nomad.dll
Nope. No 3rd party plugins installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled winamp also. Just now double checked to make sure. Oh also, the reason that I don't think it would be that(if I did have 3rd party plugins), is if it also did it with music on my own harddrive. But no alas, only over a network(a never congested one, at that). Music on my own drive plays fine, and I'm not about to copy mutiple gigs to my harddrive just to listen to.
Old 8th October 2002, 13:57   #4
Mp3nutz

Any other ideas?
Old 9th October 2002, 21:03   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Tried wa2update patch yet?
Then make sure DirectSound Output is selected in Prefs -> Output.

btw, gen_nomad.dll is silently installed by SBLive upgrade (with PlayCenter2)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support