Old 15th February 2004, 12:04   #1
ds23765

winamp 5 destroyed my sound quality

I was using 2.78 and it was great then I decided to install winamp 5. It sucks basiclly (sorry guys but it's slow like windows media player). But the worst is that now all audio files played on my PC sound like karaoke backgroud. The voice of the singers is hardly audible. I have uninstlled the 5 and installed 2.78 but nothing has changed. The same situation is with all players (real, windows). I have checked the speakers on mandrake 9.1 and everything is fine.

I am using win2k with SP3 directX 9 on athlonXP 1.7
Someone help me, please! It drives me crazy!!!
ds23765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 17:36   #2
a-jenny

Destroyed sound

Hello.
I have got the same problem. I tried the winamp 5.02 today
and the quality of the sound is terrible. I also have the Winamp 3, and you are absolutely right, it sonds like a karaoke-machine when I play my music in Winamp 5.02.
I hope that somebody can tell us how to get a sound quality
equal to the sound in version 3.
Have a nice day
a-jenny
a-jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 17:58   #3
VTUrge311

Send a message via AIM to VTUrge311
Have you looked at the settings in your equalizer, in both Winamp and Windows? The settings could be too low for treble, or too high for mid and bass. What soundcard(s) do you have?

@ds23765: if you say it is "slow like windows media player," I am going to assume you mean slow to start up. If that's the case, turn off Modern Skin support, since you don't have that in Winamp 2.78 either. That will definitely increase the startup time for you.

And just for the record, if the sound is bad on all players, settings could have been changed by something other than Winamp...
VTUrge311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 19:02   #4
ds23765

Hi there
@VTUrge311
1. Both equalizers are fine I am sure this is not the reason, it doesn't matter if they are on or off, it's the same.

2. I have a regular soundcard integrated with ECS K7VTA3 mainbord. with the VIA8233 Codec Sound on board driver. Version A2.56, Release 12/28/2001. deliverd by manufacturer on CD

3. I noticed the poor sound quality right after instaling the "5". The difference was horrible so I have unistalled winamp5 and installed 2.78c once again. But nothing happened It was still "karaoke machine". I have reinstalled my codec pack ACE Mega CoDecS Pack 5.93. Still nothing. Then I have reinstalled VIA driver. Still nothing. I haven't been istalling anything beside winamp recently so for me the winamp is the one to blame. Before that everything was fine.

4. I didn't know about Modern Skin Support, thanks for advice

I hope someone will come up with the solution. I dont wanna switch to mandrake to listen to the music
Old 15th February 2004, 19:58   #5
Carno

It sounds like you've lost your middle channel, if that helps. I'm not certain how to fix it, but run DirectX configuration and see what it tells you.
Carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 20:25   #6
ds23765

I did what you said. I mean I performed all the tests and according to the results everything is perfect. I haven't found anything to change my "middle chanel" maybe I missed sth.
Old 15th February 2004, 21:24   #7
VTUrge311

Open up Control Panel, and double click on System. In the Hardware tab, click on Device Manager. A new window will pop up. Do any exclamation marks show up next to the hardware? If there is a hardware conflict, it will show up there.

You can also open up Control Panel and click on Sounds and Multimedia. In the Audio tab, under Sound Playback, make sure your device is the chosen one. You can check the Windows equalizer by clicking Volume, then in the new Play Control window, click Options -> Advanced Controls. Now click the Advanced button that appeared.

If that is also ok, close that window, and back in the Sounds and Multimedia window, in the Audio tab, click on Advanced (again under Sound Playback). Make sure that the speaker setup is correct for your system (ie Quadraphonic Speakers is chosen if you have 4 speakers, Surround Sound Speakers is chosen if you have 5 speakers, etc).

Maybe something will be incorrect in those places. Since you said that all of the programs sound the same (like a Karaoke machine), it seems like some Windows settings got changed, not anything in Winamp itself.
Old 15th February 2004, 22:00   #8
ds23765

you were right!!! thanks a lot! this is exactly what I have done. I don't have english win2K so please excuse my descripitons of the buttons.

Reinstalling the soundcard driver simply by clicking on setup.exe on the manufacturer CD doesn't work.
You have to uninstall this driver manualy
1. Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> audio, vido, game controlers (or sth like that) find your soundcard driver right click -> Properties -> Driver -> Uninstall -> (In Device Manager window) Scan for new devices (or sth). windows should detect your soundcard and ask you for a driver location. Insert CD with drivers provided by the manufacturer and follow the instructions ---->reboot.

I hope this will help.
Thanks everyone
Take care
Old 15th February 2004, 22:42   #9
Carno

Cooool. Thanks @VTUrge. This is good thing to see. But we still have a question on our hands: what in the world caused it? The signal processing plugin is the first thing that I think of, because it has a remove center channel setting --- but I should leave the tech support to those who know more than me.
Carno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2004, 23:39   #10
VTUrge311

@ds23765: glad I could help.

As to what caused the problem in the first place, I have no idea. This ended up being a driver issue, which I would not attribute to Winamp at all, but you never know... And it seems to be a fairly isolated incident (the other poster hasn't replied, so we can't help her out). Also, ds23765 never said what kind of speaker setup he had; it doesn't seem like it was center channel related, though. (I for one have 4.1 speakers, hence no center channel at all).
Old 16th February 2004, 00:11   #11
ds23765

a VTUrge311 I have creative 2.1

I have no idea what caused the problem neither. I thought that the winamp5 was the one to blame because the the changes appeared imediatelly after installing it. So what else could damage the driver. I think that some changes were made in the soundcard driver during the winamp installation or maybe some kind of conflict, but I have no idea how to prove it.

Concluding I will stay with my old winamp. I am not saying the "5" is a bad piece of software but I preffer the unix rule. One program makes just one thing, but it makes it efficiently and fast. when I want to listen to mp3 winamp is the best when I want watch the movie file I will use dedicated 300kb player, but this is just my point of view
Old 16th February 2004, 01:18   #12
VTUrge311

Well, I am glad that you have your sound fixed, and I am not going to tell you what programs to use and not use, but Winamp 5 is better

I don't know what caused your computer to act the way it did... if you were feeling curious, you could try installing Winamp 5.02 in a different directory (ie C:\Program Files\Winamp5) and seeing if your sound is still messed up or not, but I understand if you don't want to. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised if you do, though...

And just for the record, Winamp 5 is a continuation of Winamp 2... like I said before, turn of Modern Skin support and you have an updated Winamp 2 with some more features (I don't think 2.78 had a Media Library, for example).

Also, if you do have any problems in the future and you are using 2.78, everyone will tell you to upgrade to 5... just letting you know
Old 16th February 2004, 03:23   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

For future ref (from the troubleshooters sticky)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=166479

Also, I recommend you install Win2k sp4
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 15:10   #14
ds23765

Ok I am trying to be open minded . I have installed winamp 5 in different directory. Now I I have 2 winamps . The sound is fine. Now I am confused. Well sorry winamp crew for blaming you but I am still telling you the sound quality changed imediatelly after previous winamp5 instalation. Well, the truth is out there.

The SP4 has 1014 fixes for SP3. I kinda get used to my bugs and threads, is it a good idea to install new ones
Old 16th February 2004, 21:26   #15
a-jenny

Hello again.
It can't be my soundcard causing the problem in my case, when I play in Winamp 3 the quality is like before. I've
plugged the sound to my NAD hi-fi, and there is a remarkable difference, WA 5.02 has this echo-karaoke sound.
I've tried to adjust the equalizer but it's like having tinnitus, a high frequent background noise. But however: Is there any settings in WA i should try to improve the sound? Thankful for good advices.
a-jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 21:29   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
For future ref (from the troubleshooters sticky)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=166479
Old 17th February 2004, 11:07   #17
ala_frosty

Sound Quality Fix

type ctl-P

Check "WaveOut output" and make sure the "sounds-like-a-dog-is-pi$$ink-in-my-ear(tm)" DirectSound output is NOT selected.

"Click on Configure" and select whichever sound card you want to hear your output.

Except .. there seems to be a WinAmp Bug where it will only play WMA files to the Windows Default Output Device, and not the device you select here. I'm going to post this problem somewhere else.
ala_frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2004, 14:23   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Crossposted here :/
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support