Old 11th November 2005, 13:33   #1
henkisback

Problems ripping with FLAC

Hello, I wonder if you can help, before I kick my computer in. I've just started ripping my entire CD collection with FLAC, which upto now has worked perfectly (thank you winamp!). The problem is it keeps crashing, "winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close down do I wish to send an error report etc, etc" or it will not start ripping at all, "error ripping track #1:can't open destination file". The only thing new to my ripping project is a WD 320 sata hard drive. At the rate I'm going, what with having to reboot each time winamp crashes (cd will not eject), I will be too old and deaf to enjoy music anymore; please help!! There seems to be no pattern or predictability to these problems, sometimes a 2nd or 3rd go with a cd will work, mostly not.

My specs are;

P4 3.0, 1gb pc3200 ram, soltec Qbic small form factor, WD 320 sata HD, NEC nd 3540a cd/dvd, Windows xp pro, Mozilla firefox, anything else needed?

I'm using the latest 5.111 version, still had the same issues with the one before, thats why i tried the new one. No extra anything, just standard winamp with FLAC.

Please find attached one of those mysterious hijackthis things.

Thanks,

Geoff

PS, I think this might be going onto a forum, which is completely new to me. I was expecting to be contacting support directly, but could find no way of doing this...any help, from anyone would be much appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: 7z hijackthis.7z (1.4 KB, 192 views)
henkisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 15:08   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Could you try ripping to wav, to see if it's a problem with the (3rd party) FLAC encoder?
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 12:23   #3
henkisback

It's so random, I can't find a CD to guarantee failure with FLAC, I will keep looking, but thanks for the idea.

Geoff
Old 13th November 2005, 09:05   #4
henkisback

Aha, found a CD that twice (in different places) failed with FLAC but went through fine on WAV....Also found a CD that failed 4 times with FLAC, but went through OK after I threatened violence. Does the WAV thing lead us anywhere conclusive?

Geoff
Old 13th November 2005, 11:17   #5
gaekwad2
Foorum King

It means there's probably some problem with the FLAC encoder.
Which unfortunately means the author will have to fix it.

If only certain CDs fail, is there anything special about them?
Like non-English characters in the titles.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support