Old 26th November 2001, 06:32   #1
randman

The "God Bless America" bugshield

I was ranting a few weeks ago about some companies taking advantage of the patriotism that has spread throughout the USA. Some of them were donating part of the proceeds to charity which is OK. Others were just looking to make a fast buck.

Enter the "God Bless America" bugshield. I just returned from taking out the trash and noticed one of my neighbors had put a bugshield on thier vehicle that had "God Bless America" printed across it. (For those of you who don't know what a bugshield is, it's a 4-5 inch strip of plastic that runs across the front of the hood on your car. It "catches" the bugs and keeps them off your windshield.)

I wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen it myself. Who thinks up this stuff? Why do people buy it? And do the bugs that splatter to thier death on a "God Bless America" bugshield go to heaven? Questions, questions.
Old 26th November 2001, 06:40   #2
rm'
Banned

The phrase "God Bless America" seems awfully paradoxical to me, and even though I would really like to deny the Christian heritage of this great nation, I simply can't.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 06:42   #3
randman

Stupid but true Nemessis. I don't expect many responses to this thread. It was just so bizarre I had to post something about it. It's just a "roll your eyes and shake your head" kind of thing.
Old 26th November 2001, 07:10   #4
BullGawD
Cool Guy.
(Forum King)

lol - hadn't seen that one yet. figures.

...a blatant person.
BullGawD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 07:16   #5
mr_sax
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to mr_sax
how about a "Canada...Eh?" one for us Canadians

mr_sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 09:01   #6
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Have anyone yet noticed that every American Convienience store (Circle K, 7-11, AM-PM, Flying J etc etc) has a flag on it or a
god bless America like thing on it? Without exception?

My thoery is that the people who work/own in them, who are generally foriegners, are terrified that anyone might storm in and attack them for being foriegn and its like a "protective ward"

Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 10:24   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

But no-one cares when the IRA bomb Britain.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 10:29   #8
SNYder
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
Have anyone yet noticed that every American Convienience store (Circle K, 7-11, AM-PM, Flying J etc etc) has a flag on it or a
god bless America like thing on it? Without exception?

My thoery is that the people who work/own in them, who are generally foriegners, are terrified that anyone might storm in and attack them for being foriegn and its like a "protective ward"
Every store in my small town has a flag hanging outside of it.
AHHHHHH!!! Foriegners are taking over my town!!!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 11:38   #9
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Its been happening for too long- it has no "shock value" anymore. Which is good for them I guess, since the less attention on them the better they keep secret.

If they changed to say... anthrax, people would care.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 12:58   #10
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Actually, The IRA have very rarely planted bombs on the British Mainland, the Gilford and Bermingham pub bombings being notable exceptions. The majority of their bombs have targeted RUC stations in Northern Ireland, and military targets. And people do care - it's been on the news here every night for as long as I have been alive.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 13:04   #11
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

I am not saying that the people of these Isles do not care, more the General world. How many save britain banners were flying around after Omagh? Why didn't an international coalition form then?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 13:18   #12
rm'
Banned

Because the IRA is not an international terror network.
Old 26th November 2001, 13:23   #13
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Because the problems that occur here to not affect the rest of the world. Attacks in America will echo worldwide - you've seen already that many airline companies have gone bust since September 11th. Earthquakes in Taiwan will affect the global cost of electronics. problems in the middle east affect fuel prices. This gives the rest of the world an incentive to try and solve the problem.

Unfortunately we do not provide such a world-wide service. An economic disaster here would barely affect the neighbouring country.

As regards the IRA, there are several points of view. Whereas the attack on New York was unjustified, the IRA attacks aren't always. You have to remember that there is a huge difference between the IRA of old, and what exists today. The old IRA was the Irish Republican Army, which was made up of volunteers who wanted to regain their homes and their country from the British Empire. Their (our) lands were taken from us at gunpoint, houses were burned, and the land was taken from them and divided up among english landlords. And this was brutally enforced by the british army until 1922! Thats within my grandfather's lifetime! The old IRA were well justified in everything that they did.

The difference now is that the IRA is composed of mercenaries, not to mention all the splinter groups, and a lot of innocent people are suffering as a result. They are using the old ideals to reclaim the north of Ireland. While I agree with their motives, I don't agree with their methods.

Old 26th November 2001, 13:28   #14
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
As regards the IRA, there are several points of view. Whereas the attack on New York was unjustified, the IRA attacks aren't always. You have to remember that there is a huge difference between the IRA of old, and what exists today. The old IRA was the Irish Republican Army, which was made up of volunteers who wanted to regain their homes and their country from the British Empire. Their (our) lands were taken from us at gunpoint, houses were burned, and the land was taken from them and divided up among english landlords. And this was brutally enforced by the british army until 1922! Thats within my grandfather's lifetime! The old IRA were well justified in everything that they did.

While I agree with their motives, I don't agree with their methods.
At the risk of sounding like an ignorant foreigner, I agree. I'm not a complete foreigner though... I remember the hassle and danger of going to the North to see friends, and I remember the general mood of the people, even as far south as Dublin.
Old 26th November 2001, 13:35   #15
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

You have to bear in mind that this is within living memory. My grandfather remembered a lot of this, even remembers people going to the villages trying to recruit volunteers. It takes a long time for people to forget such things.

Old 26th November 2001, 14:58   #16
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_h
... As regards the IRA, there are several points of view. Whereas the attack on New York was unjustified, the IRA attacks aren't always. You have to remember that there is a huge difference between the IRA of old, and what exists today. The old IRA was the Irish Republican Army, which was made up of volunteers who wanted to regain their homes and their country from the British Empire. Their (our) lands were taken from us at gunpoint, houses were burned, and the land was taken from them and divided up among english landlords. And this was brutally enforced by the british army until 1922! Thats within my grandfather's lifetime! The old IRA were well justified in everything that they did.

The difference now is that the IRA is composed of mercenaries, not to mention all the splinter groups, and a lot of innocent people are suffering as a result. They are usingthe old ideals to reclaim the north of Ireland. While I agree with their motives, I don't agree with their methods.
Thanks Ethan, that's about as balanced a view as I've heard on the matter, and I have personal reasons for hating the IRA.

Land rites have been the backbone of so much of Ireland's history, stretching right back to the time of Cromwell. I visit Co. Meath regularly and even today there is still resentment over the setting up of the Gaeltacht areas, and all the best land going to a "bunch of Kerrymen".

The sad thing is that if ever Ireland is united we will just see the UDF take the place of the IRA, para-military forces are so ingrained in the two countries. I hate the lot of them, so many of their activities now have more to do with plain gangsterism than nationalism.

God bless all here

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 15:02   #17
Bop
Forum King

what will they think of next? an "I Love NY" fly-swatter?

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 15:14   #18
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by Boplicity
what will they think of next? an "I Love NY" fly-swatter?
Hurry up. Get a patent. Start production. You could be the next millionaire. People are getting rich off of bizarre ideas such as this. Remember the pet rock?

~ Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 15:20   #19
Bop
Forum King

lol! i don't have the heart to do something like that missy... the ideas all yours

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2001, 15:30   #20
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

I think the best I've seen so far have been the "Christian dildos". (FHM - June). For $32 you can get a dildo in the shape of the virgin Mary. A particular favourite was the "Cricifixion Dildo" - memories of the film "The Exorcist" came to mind...

Old 26th November 2001, 15:51   #21
a-arse
Banned

What they thought of next..kinda..

http://www.eio.com/anthrax2.htm
a-arse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions