Old 7th June 2002, 12:04   #1
zonik

jukebox as virtual file system drive

Here is an idea of a the perfect mp3 jukebox. This one is structured as a virtual hard disk drive. That is; it only looks and behaves like a new hard drive. You would be able to map a new mp3 drive, as the M: drive on your computer and all songs would be categorized in folders. But all the folders are [u]just virtual and based on the ID3 tags[/b] in the mp3 file. The actual files could be stored just on your local C: drive, but your new virtual M: drive only has the alias for the actual file.

Then you just use the file explorer to browser your music collection. Very simple.

You could add as many virtual mp3 drives as you like. Each drive could have different settings. Example: one virtual mp3 drive could be filtered to show only classical music. Other drive could have the complete collection, categorized on Artist and Album name.

This would be the best jukebox in the world. So, basic and so simple to use. And it would be compatible with all the different mp3 players, because it is basically just an addon to your operating system.
zonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2002, 14:12   #2
THEMike
Bastificator [Alumni]

an idea I love, I've had similar ideas for ages, but rather than a drive letter, use an explorer extension like notmad explorer from www.redchairsoftware.com does (for the nomad jukebox).

i'd code it, but i code delphi, and for a shell extension to be really viable, it needs to be C/C++ I think.

"Beer?"
THEMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2002, 03:23   #3
Gourou

Location: The backside of the universe on the trailing edge of eternity
here's a concept, as you move music into these folders, also change the ID3 tag to reflect the changes
Gourou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 00:09   #4
dylman
Forum King

This is a great concept. Simple (once it's set up) and elegant. Somebody please wave their magic coding wand and make it happen. Please?

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 02:09   #5
Gourou

I think I can do it, it'll be vb, but I dont think it's out of my reach or anything, I'm working on 3 other projects at the moment, but I think I like this concept, I'll start a structure soon.
Old 10th August 2002, 05:31   #6
zonik

any new development here ?

Hi all -

do you know if there is any new development on the perfect mp3 jukebox idea thingy?

For those who did not perfectly understand my idea, I would like to describe it a little bit better here.

1. Let's say we keep our mp3 music collection in folder C:\My Music

2. We have 1000 files all stored all over the place in the My Music folder.
- -

Now, let's imagine that we use our perfect Jukebox that is installed in Windows like when you install a ZIP Drive or any other removable drive or a new harddisk. But there is no hardware behind this drive, it only listens to a folder (and all it's subfolders) that you specify.

In our case, we map this mp3 drive as drive M: and configure this virtual drive M: to listen to the actual folder on C:\My Music and let it search for files with ID3 Tags.

Then we go to drive M: and we look at all the folders. But, now we see a nice collection of band names. We can select Tools from the menu and select to view the folder after Genre or Year.

- -

Now, let's make it simple and think of a simple scenario. We just have 1 single file stored in C:\My Music folder. The full name of the mp3 file stored there is; C:\My Music\DM-Enjoy_the_silence.mp3 This file has some ID3 Tags attached to it like:

Band: Depeche Mode
Album: Violator
Song: Enjoy The Silence
Genre: Electronic
etc.

When we go to the root of M: drive we see just one folder called:

Depeche Mode\

Then when we open this folder we see:

M:\Depeche Mode\Violator

and this folder includes on file called:

Enjoy The Silence.mp3

... and the full name of this file is:

M:\Depeche Mode\Violator\Enjoy The Silence.mp3

But in reality this file is really just this:

C:\My Music\DM-Enjoy_the_silence.mp3

So,
M:\Depeche Mode\Violator\Enjoy The Silence.mp3
and
C:\My Music\DM-Enjoy_the_silence.mp3
are exactly the same file.

Understand?

This is just plain and simple - - brilliant. Would simply be the best jukebox in the world. Why don't we have this nice OS plugin?

If you decide to implement this or you find this somewhere on the net, then please drop me an e-mail at zonik@strik.is ...

ciao -

- g u d j o n
Old 22nd August 2002, 06:16   #7
Kon

Send a message via Yahoo to Kon
So lemme see if I have this right - you want all files to be scanned on the hard drive, and indexed into folders automagically on some 'media drive' (like M: ).

Any file found on all the drives gets broken out into

m:\genre\group\album\song.xxx

Correct?

What if these song.xxx's are really song.xxx.lnk's ? (windows shortcuts).

Now you can move the songs around on the c:, d:, e: etc drives and let windows locate the files for you automagically.

I've already coded an app that (cleverly, I think) uses shortcuts as symlinks under windows. Even winamp can resolve the shortcuts.

So, if this is what you want, I can slap it together in an hour or so.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2002, 00:19   #8
zonik

Hi Kon - the idea you have is one way to look at this, but it becomes quite difficult to maintain. If you move any of the original files or rename, then the actual shortcut files becomes non-usable. But your implementation is quite clever! I like it.

But what I am talking about is to create a new software-based virtual harddrive. That is, when you go to drive M: you are basically just browsing a database that looks and behaves exactly like a harddrive. (A bit like browsing through shortcuts, like you have implemented)

The database engine can scan your entire C: harddrive during the night, looking for new or updated media files, being mp3, mpg, avi or qt. In mp3 it specifically look for the ID3 tags...

This is without a doubt doable, but it's not easy. You need to dive deeply in the OS if you want to make this elegant. And the elegant way is to have this as any other hard disk, so it becomes easily browsable in any application.
Old 23rd August 2002, 07:09   #9
Kon

Send a message via Yahoo to Kon
Well, you could always just trap winblows' winapi for any diskchange notifications, just like explorer does.

If someone moves a file, you update the shortcut destination in the background. And just use a linked list to keep a queue of the items for processing in a low background priority.

No need to worry about files being moved. And new files would be added just as easily.

See, easier than you think
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2002, 04:47   #10
Gourou

making a fake drive under windows is actually quite simple, if you know how, the deal is, you cant control what goes in that drive, except files, windows does all the file work, so it'll have to be links, I would suggest a ramdrive, or a mapped drive from some obscure subfolder of the program, then you can chuck 4k away for every link without worrying about it. I seem to remember a vague discussion about something of the sort from before, and not to ruin a genuinely perfect idea, but if you have to write a program for this, then you can just display all this info in the program
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development