Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 6th September 2007, 01:51   #1
ThomasBags

Apple Lossless in Winamp or some other light media player?

Well for the longest time all my music has been in 320 kb/s MP3s but I've decided to re-encode all my CDs that I have to Apple lossless. This is due to the purchase of a brand new shiney 160 GB iPod Classic and decided to fill that space with my library in lossless (right now it's about 18ish GB before the lossless, don't know afterwards yet though cause I'm not finished re-encoding). Now the only problem is, iTunes is not my regular media player (it's too large and too much of a lag for me while playing games) but WinAMP is. Now I've loved WinAMP for years now because of how light it is and how low profile in the RAM, however I am bummed to find that I cannot play these Apple Lossless files in WinAMP. I've searched a bit on WinAMP forums and some others finding no luck yet and was hoping to find an answer here.

So if you want to skip reading all that look here:
How do I play Apple Lossless files in WinAMP, and if not is there a light media player out there (maybe just anything but iTunes) that can play Apple Lossless?
ThomasBags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 02:28   #2
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Install the Winamp Essentials plugin pack, it has an ALAC plugin. There is a link to it in each version relese thread. The 5.35 pack is here: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....13#post2185513 and if you are using the 5.36 beta, check the thread for that one.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 11:58   #3
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Hmm, alternatively, if you arent planning on playing lossless on the ipod (due to the size constraints), I would say a flac archive on your machine, with pmp_ipod transcoding to aac or mp3 on transfer would work out just fine.

Or what J_Darnley said.

Note however that apple lossless support is based on reverse engineering work that someone published into the public domain (lgpl?). So may or may not be feature complete.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 15:18   #4
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

or you could put rockbox firmware on your ipod and just send the flac files onto the ipod.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 07:46   #5
jmbattle

Rocker, I doubt Rockbox will be compatible with the new iPods for some time.

I purchased a second-hand (albeit unboxed) 1st generation Nano specifically with the intention of using Rockbox, yet after the initial excitement of being able to play Doom, I actually found that I preferred the original Nano firmware.

Cheers,
James
x
jmbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 15:35   #6
deathtoyouall

Do I need to configure anything after installing the essentials plugin? Because as far as I can tell, I just installed a giant helping of nothing. I've seen no changes, except for the few aesthetic changes that I don't particularily care about. I just want ALAC files to work. I've already added alac to the list of file types that can be played, as well as just about anywhere else I could think of. Do I just install it in /winamp/?
deathtoyouall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 15:46   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

no you should not need to configure anything. you shouldn't need to add any file types. (unless the files have been renamed to alac in which you'd add ;ALAC to the extension list of the mpeg4 plugin.)

alac uses the .m4a file extension last time I checked because it HAS to be inside a mp4 container. winamp will not play raw alac files.

you should just install it. the installer should know where winamp was installed to originally. It will put a file called alac.w5s into the /winamp/system folder for alac mp4 support.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2007, 15:46   #8
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
ALAC isn't a file extension or anything. It should be in a .MP4 or .M4A file. And when you install it, nothing magical should happen. The file should be playable, though.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion