Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 24th May 2009, 19:31   #1
Greg_E
Major Dude

Sony NWZ-E438FBLK 8gb Video Walkman and HE-AAC m4a files!

Just wanted to make mention of something that I just found. The Sony NWZ-E438FBLK 8GB Video Walkman will play HE-AAC v1 (aac+v1) compressed files with full fidelity and stereo. I tested the 64k rate which means a whole lot of music will fit in that 8GB of space. Files were encoded with Winamp 5.552 free version. In the past I tried the other version which produces .aac files and these did not work.

I'll be doing more testing in a few days with some different disk to make sure everything is OK, if I find problems I'll report back.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 21:58   #2
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
IM FULL ATTENTION TO THAT ONE.

I guess I know what player Im buying next. If it has a wi-fi adapter, or a way to tune into the SC directory, Im sold.

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 01:48   #3
Greg_E
Major Dude

Nope you need to wait for the next one then, rumors are that it will have WIFI and probably something similar to the internet radio player in the PSP. This one would be strictly a portable music device. Winamp does manage it flawlessly or you can drag and drop files. The thing is also tiny. Hard to tell ultimate sound quality as I've only tested a few things and always with the crap included earbuds.

At $80 it's not too bad, but no way I would pay higher for it. Have to wait for it to go on sale again before I would be willing to pick it up. It's still cheap compared to the Archos Puke Box that I'm using now (about 7 years old now), if it wasn't for the Rock Box project I probably would have tossed that player a long time ago.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 28th May 2009, 05:23   #4
sonyuser

I own the NWZ-E438F. I cannot use winamp with it at all. When I connect via USB, Winamp shuts down. What need's to be corrected to get this working ? I'm only posting a reply here to you as a question since yours seems to work with winamp.
sonyuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 15:07   #5
Greg_E
Major Dude

Not sure, all I did was plug it in, didn't even load the drivers for it and it worked. Shows up in the portables tab of the library and has choices to sync and stuff from there. This was on Winamp 5.552 (most current) and on WinXP home. Seems to work more reliably with the driver loaded, though on the machine that was used I sometimes need to connect from a fresh boot or it will loose the connection and then reconnect. I'm pretty sure this is something to do with the computer used and not the player. Maybe check the firmware to make sure you have the most current, I think I might have flashed mine (or at least tried to flash it), the firmware is on the Sony site for download.

FYI the PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 will play files encoded to aac+v1 with the m4a encoding type, so now I'm a bit torn between a PSP and one of these Walkman Video players. Price is pretty close between a used 3000 and a new walkman. Ripping the rest of my library now.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:57   #6
Greg_E
Major Dude

OK... So a couple weeks ago I bought one of these (had borrowed one for the previous tests) and it does indeed play aac+v1 files that Winamp rips just fine, and sounds good doing it, but there is an exception... It only has decent volume with headphones that are 16 ohms impedance and below!!! Even when you plug the headphone out to a line in amplifier it may not have enough drive to do the job!!! After about an hour with Sony support chat (because their email link is no good), I'm told to fill out the online return request form. I enter the date I purchased and it throws an error that the date can not be in the future! So I get on Sony chat again and the idiot wants me to use a different browser. In this day and age if your site doesn't support Firefox, IE, and Safari there is a significant problem.

Sent an email to the place I bought it asking if I can just return the piece of junk for a refund. I know Sony repair won't find a problem with it, both units I have access to are the same volume, and the web is scattered with reports of low volume with most headphones. There currently is no hack to make it louder as no one has been able to find the secret service menu.

Too bad because this looks like a decent player, but it just will not work with the majority of headphones. A very frustrating experience to say the least.

Looks like my laptop will get more of a workout with music playing duties. Sucks in the car though because the display gets unreadable with sunlight. No other player advertises aac+ support, maybe the Zune will since WMP12 will support this when it arrives.

Your mileage may vary!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion