Old 27th March 2004, 22:13   #1
luminous

ability to play mp3's using directory structure

Hi

I have been a great fan of winamp for years, but am currently getting very frustrated.

I have searched these forums for the answer to my problem, but have not found any good solutions.

Years ago I used a plugin called explorer playlist. It allowed you to navigate through your existing file structure and then just highlight a directory and have all the files within played. IT's so simple, so easy, but so missing from Winamp 5

I've searched the boards and found all sorts of threads, some leading to Dr O's inovations. I have yet to get my hands on anything that will actually do something like this.

Please can someone point me to the solution. Winamp 5 looks great, and I really want to start using it........
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 22:47   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Explorer Playlist was a 3rd-party wasabi component built for Winamp3, which was a separate product entirely to Winamp (2.x/5.x).

The nearest I've found so far is the gUSB ML plugin (info | discussion)

More plugins listed here...?
and I think DrO is meant to be implementing something similar to ExplorerPlaylist in his ExtPledit plugin...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2004, 23:02   #3
ilyag

It is really a shame gUSB does not let me browse my CD drives (with mp3's & directory structure, of course). By the way, is there any way to dinamically add mp3 CDs to the Media Library?
ilyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2004, 00:58   #4
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
do you mean rescan specific directories for added mp3s?

there's an option for that under the ML preferences.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2004, 06:06   #5
ilyag

You are right, there is. However, the I would really like a specific way to rescan F:\. For instance, adding a chckbox to Preferences->Media Library->Importing->Pick a folder, press Edit Selected that would make Winamp rescan this particular folder would be the minimum of what I want.

Ideally, the "Audio CD F" item in the library would transform in an "MP3 CD F" on the insertion of one, the disk would be scanned, and it would have a searchable Album/Artist view... Perhaps, I should post this to the wishlist.
Old 28th March 2004, 06:48   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Local Media > New View
View name = MP3 CD F
query: filename begins F:

maybe?

and, of course, "automatically remove missing files" needs to be checked in Prefs,
so the view will change on rescan to reflect whatever's on the MP3 CD at the time.

Hmm, but it doesn't let you view the CD drive in folder/tree mode...

*ponders*
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2004, 02:34   #7
ilyag

This would almost work... However:
  • Winamp will still need to rescan all of my media just to account for the CD. That takes about 50 seconds... I also have several other folders that are temporary storage for music... So, it would be very nice if there would be an option to mark some of Media Library's folders as "temporary" and have a button to rescan only those.
  • query: filename begins F: will also almost work. The problem is that I would need to add !(filename begins F:) to all other views. To solve this, it would be great if the Library had "sub-views" (and sub-sub-views), that add (AND) their query to that of the parent's view. I remember wanting this for other reasons than mp3 CDs, too (American Music view, with all the subviews. French music, subviews. Russian Music. Or, Rock->Soft, Hard, etc.)

Also, just in case mp3 CDs suddenly become the major focus of Winamp develoment (although this would also work for mp3-players, removable drives, etc)... Well, in the ideal world:
  • Winamp would scan the CD on inject.
  • In fact, it wouldn't even scan the CD - it would look something like Local CDDB lookup now. After scanning the CD once, it would record the CD's portion of the Media Library and activate it when the CD [iPod, whatever] is in drive.

Perhaps I should be posting this to the wishlist. But this place is so much more cozy... And I can always repost...
Old 29th March 2004, 08:57   #8
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
it would be great if the Library had "sub-views" (and sub-sub-views), that add (AND) their query to that of the parent's view.
heh... i was planning on doing that when i start working on wasabi.player's ML. also with an OR option. (AND query with parent, or OR query with parent.) thinking about it though, OR would probably not be that useful.

anyway, to the original poster: this is what i do, and i find it works quite well, but relies on having win XP.

r-click Start menu > properties > customize > Advanced tab.
find My Music and check Display as menu

of course this only works if your music is actually in My Music. if it's not:
easy way: move your music
hard way: i forget exactly how, but you can change where My Music refers to. you'll have to figure that out yourself.

Once you have that set up, you can just click your start menu, and navigate to your music. right click on a directory and Play/Enqueue in Winamp.

Alternative, and i think works in other OS's: add your music directory to the taskbar as a toolbar. r-click on taskbar > Toolbars > add new... > choose your directory. then just place it so that only the arrow shows on your taskbar, not a bunch of icons/text for the folders.

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2004, 22:48   #9
luminous

wow, I like qUSB, thanks for that. Its very nearly the perfect solution for me. The lack of the complete directory strucutre is its only failing.

Hopefully someone will be able to fix this. It is just so much easier to play music without having to fiddle with playlists. I'm sure all of us who have used explorer playlist will agree
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 01:47   #10
Fred Glavin

qusb works very well, but does have its limitations.
I have found that using a windows Explorer shell program
(FreeCommander specifically) is the answer. It, like Windows
Explorer, integrates nicely with Winamp through right-click
context menus. It is necessary only to open FreeExplorer, and
in my method of music playback, set up the two panes so that one is my ramdrive and the other is my well-organized music folder.Then I copy music files to ramdisk, select them and right-click, choose "play in Winamp", and its done. Winamp opens, the files are put in Winamp's playlist, and playback starts. Couldn't be simpler. You have to delete the files from ramdisk when done, also very simple.
Fred Glavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 15:47   #11
dj_squarepants

easy solution

shift+L
select folder
play music
dj_squarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion