Old 13th May 2015, 17:57   #1
Tohno_Neil

What is 'amp'?

It is obvious that the 'win' equals Windows systems,
but how to define the 'amp' ,tell me your answer.
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 20:59   #2
DrO

it was the name of an MP3 playback engine (as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winamp#Initial_releases)
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 01:33   #3
djpete
Major Dude

I have never been able to get to the bottonm of the true meaning of Winamp. We even sent an email asking the founder but got no reply. lol

What does Winamp stand for?
According to Wiki:
Winamp was first released in 1997, when Justin Frankel and Dmitry Boldyrev,[5][6][7] formerly students at the University of Utah, integrated their Windows user interface with the Advanced Multimedia Products "AMP" MP3 file playback engine.[42] The name Winamp (originally spelled WinAMP) was a portmanteau of "Windows" and "AMP".[43] The minimalist WinAMP 0.20a was released as freeware on April 21, 1997.[44][45] Its windowless menubar-only interface showed only play (open), stop, pause, and unpause functions. A file specified on the command line or dropped onto its icon would be played. MP3 decoding was performed by the AMP decoding engine developed by Advanced Multimedia Products co-founder Tomislav Uzelac, which was free for non-commercial use.

So the short answer is Windows Advanced Multimedia Products.
But it also goes by other names..
Windows Amplifier
Windows Audio MPEG Player
Windows Advanced Media Player
We have emailed Justin Frakel for a definitive answer..no reply as yet..
Full post here at WEF
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wina...stand%20for%3F

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 01:49   #4
DrO

the wiki details is the best you're going to get for an answer to that question. not that it really matters what it might have meant (which was always seen as an amalgam of terms for the sort of naming in place with things at the time) as it's like asking why you were called pete and not bob, is just what was picked. and now it means little other than that's just the word that it's called (unless you try to find some sort of recursive acronym).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 02:02   #5
djpete
Major Dude

Well I still think the name origin is an important piece of the Winamp puzzle and it would be great to have something definitive on how and why the name was created and if it was interpreted differently over the years, to help complete the Winamp story.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 04:59   #6
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
Well I still think the name origin is an important piece of the Winamp puzzle and it would be great to have something definitive on how and why the name was created and if it was interpreted differently over the years, to help complete the Winamp story.
Get.
But,what winamp wanna do? Or it just aim to mp3 Playback market?

As a Product of software,it must define clear objectives/roles/responsibilities.

I love winamp,just bucuse winamp's skins and it using low memory.
Now,what it look like? It just winamp.

What will it look like?

<( ̄︶ ̄)↗[GO!]
Old 18th May 2015, 23:51   #7
Pretzel4

Winamp is Winamp, an awesome media player. Nothing will ever come close to it, unless, of course, VideoLAN can get their act together come up with a stable release for once.
Pretzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 12:55   #8
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel4 View Post
Winamp is Winamp, an awesome media player. Nothing will ever come close to it, unless, of course, VideoLAN can get their act together come up with a stable release for once.
Uh huh,what it look like?
Advanced Multimedia Player (Inability to play and stream most video formats,not perfect and have some trouble in playing VIDED.)
<Ps.I also have a problem, after I play VIDEO with winamp,its size became very huge,I need to resize winamp to normal size.>

Advanced Music Player (Not contain any sound effects plug-in except audio equalizer,they always said 'the 3rd party plug-ins get the job done' .I think people need some excellent Official DSPs,because of its better program compatibility.)

Last edited by Tohno_Neil; 24th May 2015 at 14:29.
Old 24th May 2015, 23:32   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
to me, its always meant windows amplifier, but thats based solely on my own interpretation.

some people think the name is a problem b/c how can u use it on mac or android with that name, but i disagree. "winamp" is a brand name, an iconic one. at this point, imo, it transcends what platform it is on.

win10, in theory, looks like an exciting concept, one windows to rule them all, even xbox. so again, in theory, you could essentially have one codebase to run on all windows devices, with whatever wrappers for the different UIs.

the trick then, would be to figure out if you could make the codebase truly multi-platform, and include mac, ios, android, linux, etc, and use wrappers to cross any chasms (ui or otherwise).

this is all hypothetical, and DrO has said in the past he doesn't see it as a possibility, at least not given the current state of resources available.

but what if you had an opensource player that was very stripped down, and truly cross platform, just to prove the concept as feasible? i think if you have an app like that, make sure it gives a similar UI [and otherwise] exp across platforms, build in basic ML and streaming, and brand it with an iconic name like "Winamp Global" u might have something that takes off. add in a winamp store that allows devs to get paid for 3rd party add ons and music DLs, and you have the revenue to keep it going.

pie in the sky.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
amp