Old 14th June 2003, 01:01   #41
AquaRichy

Just posting to support the modulation of the cd ripper. I'd prefer not having to install it.
AquaRichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 01:42   #42
net-cruizer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
He's an internal tester of the plugin that'll allow freeform skins to work. It isn't in 2.92.
Oh I see. lol, I thought I was missing out on something.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 01:46   #43
net-cruizer

Hey, for the people that have been complaining about certain things being in winamp 2.92 that they don't want, etc. etc.
Winamp is based on dll's so if there's a certain part you don't like, use a dll from a previous version. You should back up the whole Winamp folder first, befor installing a new version.
So for example, if you don't want cd ripping, you can still have Winamp 2.92, but swap the media player dll and delete the lame codec. As simple as that, then you have Winamp 2.92 without cd ripping.
Same goes with pretty much everthing else too, and you can use different peices of different versions.
Oh, and say a certain thing didn't seem to work in a newer version that did in the previous one, use the dll that worked.
For example, you got new Winamp but dx sound output doesn't sound good any more, use the dll from the previouse version. Also you can have more of the same dll listed, just give it a different name, like you can still have the old 2.8 vis and the new 2.9 visuals if you want, etc. etc.
Old 14th June 2003, 01:51   #44
net-cruizer

Anyone know why when I rip a cd it goes threw the process, makes a folder, but there is no mp3 in it. Folder is empty.
I have the lame encoder working, but just end up with no mp3 file in the folder that was made, even if I choose the ogg encoder.
Old 14th June 2003, 04:38   #45
sanosuke
Major Dude

sawg has a point, but althought 21k is just a small size, alot of people might think that it is bloat.
i personally perfer cdex.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 07:04   #46
Calrobowiz

Will AVS be updated in Winamp 2.92? If not, then when?

Calrobowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 07:10   #47
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
AVS Did get a few updates, "AVS evallib | and & operators fixes".

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 07:45   #48
UltraZelda64

I don't get what's taking so long. This doesn't seem like a good update, nothing major. Just a few bug fixes and internal CD ripping, which I'll never use. Hell, that's what I have CDex, Exact Audio Copy, LAME, and Monkey's Audio for, among other encoders...

How about something more useful, like more Repeat/Shuffle modes instead?
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 09:00   #49
Calrobowiz

Well I know that there are people out there who will use CD ripping on Winamp. But I'm with you, UltraZelda64 because I know I won't. At least more bugs will be fixed.

Last edited by Calrobowiz; 14th June 2003 at 09:38.
Old 14th June 2003, 09:22   #50
mark e
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by UltraZelda64
I don't get what's taking so long. This doesn't seem like a good update, nothing major. Just a few bug fixes and internal CD ripping, which I'll never use. Hell, that's what I have CDex, Exact Audio Copy, LAME, and Monkey's Audio for, among other encoders...

Developers are doing very hard work to make a good program. And they have done it.
If you don'y like something, don't use it...
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 10:36   #51
Carnicero

Quote:
Originally posted by mark e
Developers are doing very hard work to make a good program. And they have done it.
If you don'y like something, don't use it...
Sorry, but I gotta agree with him. It is a fact that people would rather use dedicated ripping programs, like EAC. Will CD ripping be a wasted effort? Probably not, considering the 21K size and the fact some folks who don't know better might use it. It sure is a waste of development time though.

There are a hell of a lot more useful things that should have priority over what will be a second-fiddle CD ripper.

I'd rather see massive improvements in the Media Library than yet another frontend for a CD ripping program.
Carnicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 10:38   #52
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
Question: Why did they build the ripper in the media library?
And why didn't they make the cd ripper a seperate plugin like most other components of Winamp are? Maybe they didn't believe that some people do not want to use that ripper?
Because the Winamp 2 plugin system is inextensible, and doesn't have support for implementing CD ripping as a plugin yet. It might be in later versions. But come on it's only 21k.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 10:39   #53
duh
Banned

Send a message via AIM to duh Send a message via Yahoo to duh
anyone made an enc_mp3.dll using LAME yet?
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 10:44   #54
Sawg

A LOT of people wanted CD Ripping support. It has been one of the more common requests throughout time. If you don't agree it should be in there then you are entitled to your own opinion. Don't install the Encoders and ignore the Extract button.

If you still think 21K is too much for your computer to spare download 2.91 from Winamp Heaven.

But a common problem I see with people on this forum. You generally speaking about everyone) are not the only user of Winamp. You may not agree on the usefulness of a feature in Winamp. But the developers don't dictate features on the whims of one user. They consider their entire user base. There will always be features that some people love and some people despise.

But they way the ripper is currently I am not sure if it could really be extracted from the media library to another component. Especially for an external plug-in to add a button to another external plug-in. It is just a feature you are going to have to live with.

Screaming Bloat whenever Nullsoft adds a feature to a plug-in or another plug-ins starts to get old after a while. It's to a point no matter what Nullsoft adds people will scream bloat. I just have a hard time seeing that people really need that extra 21K from the library or the 100ish KB the new default skin added. if you are REALLY hard up for that 21K you can UPX the plug-ins. That 21KB difference becomes 9KB. If you still can't spare 9KB I recommend Winamp 1.X.
Old 14th June 2003, 10:54   #55
Calrobowiz

21k is nothing. Do people have a floppy disk as their main drive or something?

Old 14th June 2003, 11:12   #56
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Quote:
Originally posted by Calrobowiz
Do people have a floppy disk as their main drive or something?
Maybe
AtiUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 11:23   #57
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
I just don't get it why Nullsoft added a inferior cd ripper to Winamp v2.xx, which is legendary for being so compact and small ...

Why not putting that damn cd ripper in Winamp 3, it wouldn't matter with it anyway, as bloated it is. Or at least introduce the cd ripper component as a seperate plugin with its own dll, rather than inplementing it in the media library.

Overall, v2.92 ain't that great of a release, if you consider how long it took . Main updates were the cursed cd ripper + media library updates (which, again, are completely spoilt with the cd ripper built into that :P ).

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 11:25   #58
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:

Damn right

Old 14th June 2003, 11:36   #59
Calrobowiz

Well why don't you guys go off and make something better than Winamp. Good Luck!

Old 14th June 2003, 11:37   #60
AtiUser

Send a message via ICQ to AtiUser
Quote:
I don't get what's taking so long. This doesn't seem like a good update, nothing major. Just a few bug fixes and internal CD ripping, which I'll never use.
I agree with Calrobowiz.

I also hoped that they integrate some wishes from the official Winamp 2.9x wishlist.

Like many other people, I prefer EAC to ripp CDs and I don't need cd ripping in Winamp, but never forget Winamp is freeware, and has a lot of features wich other players never will get.

Its not easy to satisfy everyone,be happy that we can use this great player for free.
AtiUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 11:46   #61
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Calrobowiz
Well why don't you guys go off and make something better than Winamp. Good Luck!
seconded!!

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 13:57   #62
Budgie
Major Dude

Let's just hope they won't go the MMJB lane

Old 14th June 2003, 14:37   #63
reddog

I might be complaining about CD ripping and video playback making WinAmp bloated, but at the end of the day, I'm a very happy 2.92 user, and I'll be continuing to use WinAmp, at least until iTunes for Windows comes out.

I just think it would have been nice to see existing features expanded upon - some of the suggestions already in the official WA2 wishlist would be great (e.g. alt-click song queueing, song ratings).
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 14:38   #64
nierke

Look that I found

http://www.techconnect.ws/modules.ph...ticle&sid=1109

/edit exxxx damn it's not 2.92 its 2.9beta2 ((((((((((((((((

...:::nierke:::...
nierke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 15:15   #65
RIV@NVX

Send a message via ICQ to RIV@NVX Send a message via AIM to RIV@NVX Send a message via Yahoo to RIV@NVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sanosuke
seconded!!
Not needed
Someone already thoguht so before us and did that

DriverHeaven Moderator
kX Product Quality Tester
RIV@NVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 15:17   #66
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The latest version of 2.92 is available at www.winampheaven.net
You should class this as 2.92 rc1 (release candidate, but not final).
For those who aren't moaning about a 21k ripper, an extra page in Prefs and an extra button in Media Library, you can also install enc_lame to the Winamp\Plugins dir (also available at winampheaven).

When Justin/Christophe decide that freeform (gen_ff.dll) is ready for public testing, I'm sure they'll post a link.

Remember the 2.92/3/5 threads in WA3 Disc forum?
You all knew that 2.9x would include a cd ripper, and that the hybrid player will include cd burning & freeform skin support. So you all should know the intended direction, yes ?!
At least some people are happy. I know I am. And so are most of these

For those who want to rip in slow secure mode, then keep using EAC/CDex.
These are dedicated rippers, whereas ripping is just one small feature of Winamp.
Maybe more options (secure, paranoia, --alt -preset, etc) will eventually make there way into Winamp's ripper? Maybe the option will be modular in forthcoming releases? Maybe, just maybe.

For now, just chill out, and don't turn this into a Winamp3 Bitchlist-style thing, otherwise I'm out of here for good.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 16:10   #67
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

There are good things in winamp 2 and more coming, I can now use winamp3 skins in winamp 2 (no, you can't, I can ), it's still very buggy in places, but it's coming along nicely.

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 17:55   #68
Dr Satan

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Satan
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
For those who want to rip in slow secure mode, then keep using EAC/CDex.
Can anyone think of a reason why you wouldn't want to rip securely? It's only slightly slower than standard ripping.
Dr Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 20:02   #69
The_Drake

Quote:
Can anyone think of a reason why you wouldn't want to rip securely? It's only slightly slower than standard ripping.
Yeah, really. Why not rip securely?

Maybe the Winamp developers felt it would be harder to implement than non-secure ripping? Still, though... it doesn't seem like it'd be that much tougher to do.
The_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 20:05   #70
bmezenga

Send a message via ICQ to bmezenga
Well, I´m really sure that Justin/Christophe know winamp better than any of us (duhh). So if they decide that the cd ripper should go within media library they must have their reasons !!! When coding you have to balance "code reuse" and "integration" (among other things), so, I believe that developing this way had produced benefits. It´s hard to guess if they´ll tell us why they took this decision but I trust it worth !!!
bmezenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 21:11   #71
duh
Banned

Send a message via AIM to duh Send a message via Yahoo to duh
can we get a mirror for enc_lame.dll? or could someone that has it e-mail to me and ill set one up
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 21:37   #72
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by duh
can we get a mirror for enc_lame.dll? or could someone that has it e-mail to me and ill set one up
It's mirrored on winampheaven
eg. http://mirror3.winampheaven.net -> mp3Lame codec (113 kb)
Old 14th June 2003, 21:46   #73
Lion King
Major Dude

the ripper disappears if one deletes in_cdda.dll

i can move the quality slider in the vorbis configuration of the ripper neither by clicking on the arrow buttons nor with the arrow keys - only when i drag the bar :/
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 21:57   #74
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I suppose everything CD related will disappear if you remove in_cdda.dll
Does it reappear if you install CDReader?

The vorbis quality slider was reported to the beta list a couple of weeks ago.
Maybe they'll fix it for 2.92 final final
If not, it's going in the official bug list.
Old 14th June 2003, 22:19   #75
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Does it reappear if you install CDReader?
no
Old 14th June 2003, 22:24   #76
matthewtwood

I don't see the problem. Sure, if Winamp became a bloated pile of crap like MMJB or RealPlayer I would be the first to complain. But just because Nullsoft are introducing new features, doesn't mean Winamp's gonna go the same way! They have to cater for all their users, and I think they've done very well. Does the CD ripper slow WA down or take up huge amounts of memory/disk space? No! Ignore the 'extract CD' button and you can pretend it never existed! Problem solved!
matthewtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2003, 22:37   #77
Lion King
Major Dude

it also created a .pls playlist in addition to the .m3u even though i didn't enable that option
Old 15th June 2003, 00:03   #78
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Winamp 2.92 Leak.

There has been a rash of leaks of beta versions of Winamp as of late. Please do not download or distribute leaked copies. These releases are only weeks away, you can all learn to be a little patient and get it when it's ready.

Also, to the person who keeps leaking these copies, if you keep this up, we WILL stop posting versions of the player and subsequently punish the entire beta team for your actions. I suggest that you start respecting the trust you earned to get on the beta team and keep builds to yourself.

Thank you,

-s

Steve Gedikian
Ex Llama Wrangler
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 00:35   #79
Dr Satan

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Satan
Quote:
Originally posted by matthewtwood
Does the CD ripper slow WA down or take up huge amounts of memory/disk space? No! Ignore the 'extract CD' button and you can pretend it never existed! Problem solved!
This is not the problem... let's see if I can explain.

Right, let's assume: developer's skill + time + effort = 100

Now, let's split that 100 into these development areas:

Audio Quality (Decoding & Output)
Video Output
Skinning
AVS
Playlist / ML

Now, if each program got the same amount of attention (which it doesn't), that's 20. In reality, AVS gets very little, and video (which I don't agree with) & skinning are getting a lot of attention.

Now watch this...

Audio Quality (Decoding & Output)
Video Output
Skinning
AVS
Playlist / ML
CD Ripper
CD Burner
Audio Encoders

Now everything gets an average of 12.5. But time and effort will be biased towards the newer features. Then the worry is that Winamp might loose sight of what it's supposed to be - an audio player.

Basically, the less stuff a program does, the better it is at doing what it does. Or at least the quicker it develops.

If I want to use a .txt editor that does way more than I need it to, I'd delete notepad and use wordpad. If I wanted an audio player to do way more than I need it to, I'd delete winamp and use realplayer.
Dr Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 02:49   #80
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Satan
Then the worry is that Winamp might loose sight of what it's supposed to be - an audio player.
Says who? You?
The fact is - it's a multimedia player. Like it or lump it my friend.
Personally, I like it . . . no, make that "love it"!
But hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Just don't flog it to death.
Quote:
If I wanted an audio player to do way more than I need it to, I'd delete winamp and use realplayer.
Yeah, sure you will, lol

@LK
That's interesting/good to know . . .
Cheers!

@Steve
The versions available at winampheaven.net were provided by and endorsed by Justin . . . weren't they?
However, they shouldn't be available at ANY other sites.

The dude in this thread said he got it from neowin.net
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion