Old 1st November 2003, 06:09   #41
Paparazzi

Nice Work there Dr.O!!!

Was just wondering if you could add this "J" feature to the Media Library as well? I know that I could type into the search box, but for some of us, it has come as a habit to press the J before searching for anything and invariably at most of these occassions, I end up having to remove the J at the begining. Another thing is that after having done the search, the user has to manually delete everything in the search box to get back the full list unlike in the J key option where once we get out, its cleared!
Paparazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 12:55   #42
Mmusicman

WHEREamI, I apologize...you are correct...I re-read your comment and I did misunderstand your statement. I agree, there doesn't seem to be much need to turn off the "Force Shuffle Off" option, and your praise for this function was clear.

---------

DrO, I don't mean to repeat myself, but your little plugin has to be the SINGLE BEST improvement to come along for Winamp in years!! (insert more !!! here)

When will the next update be coming out? (ha! sound familiar??)

I love the fact that it offers enque options for "both kinds of people"...those who use shuffle mode, and those who don't. (more praise coming...) It does it sooo neatly & cleanly in the cute little "J" box. (I hate extra open windows running all the time).

Alright, here's my "gen jumpex.dll Wish List":

1) a button for "move selected after current". This is the feature I will be using 99% of the time, and it's currently an "extra", a 3 step operation...(right-click, scroll down, scroll over). Could it also just be put in the scroll down window where the "right-click Extra Options" is, rather than a 2nd drop (over) down box. (hope I'm being clear)...

That's about it for my 1 wish list! But I'm sure the "shuffle people" will want "enque numbering" for more than 1 enque, or something along that line.

Now let me just say, even if nothing is changed at this point, this plugin is still the most AWSOME thing to come along (since the wheel)...period!! I'm installing this "beta" version on all my machines today!

I'm sorry if I sound too happy, but this ability has been ignored on the Winamp 2x wishlist for years, and YOU single-handedly waved your hand...AND MADE IT SO!

THANK YOU!

Signed,

(adoring fan...speaking for many to discover...I'm sure)
Mmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 15:22   #43
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
this is DEFINATELY the best thing evar! like the philadelphia eagles though, there's still room for improvement. Here are some suggestions:

after someone enqueues something, close the jump-to-file box.
how about Shift+enter to enqueue songs(?) for mousephobic ppl.

BUG
May not be fixable... but after enqueuing a song, FFW goes to a random song (my playlist is on shuffle), not the enqueued song.

ps. i noticed your alt+click[*]s... soon to come?

No sig here folks.
GqSkrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 15:38   #44
DrO

Quote:
your little plugin has to be the SINGLE BEST improvement to come along for Winamp in years!!
you're too kind
just glad people are finding it useful to have.

Quote:
The force shuffle off feature turns off the shuffle when a song is "moved after currently playing." my comment praised this, since it makes sense, but i'd never have thought of it. if the shuffle was still on, then it might not play that file next.
@WHEREamI: glad that gets a thumbs up (common sense idea that )

Quote:
are you planning to implement Dispo's [#] idea to indicate cues? is that even possible?
yeah that will be added (will be on the jump dialog only though (the alt+click example shows the very basic of this) and there will be a way to view/manipulate the list envetually.

Quote:
Was just wondering if you could add this "J" feature to the Media Library as well?
@Paparazzi: i'd have to look into that once i've got all the rest sorted out but i like the idea of adding it in though

Quote:
a button for "move selected after current"
@Mmusicman: was going to add that for the next version and move the menu item into the main part (intend to make 'extra->' be for management features like the 'clear' option)

Quote:
after someone enqueues something, close the jump-to-file box
@GqSkrub: that's either ctrl or shift click for the 'move' option but will make the other for enqueue and close - ta for the idea

i'll check out the fast forward option for you (should be doing it correctly - is the 'move' option that won't handle it from memory)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 15:48   #45
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
@GqSkrub: that's either ctrl or shift click for the 'move' option but will make the other for enqueue and close - ta for the idea
ctrl shift click 'move'... huh? i understood "enqueue and close" and that's all.
<edit> i think i understand now, just had to read it a couple of times; so ctrl/shift click will move after current and you're gonna try to make enqueue (shift+enter) enqueue and close</edit>

Quote:
i'll check out the fast forward option for you (should be doing it correctly - is the 'move' option that won't handle it from memory)

-daz
sorry man, i don't speek greek.

No sig here folks.
Old 1st November 2003, 16:16   #46
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by GqSkrub
sorry man, i don't speek greek.
not good trying to reply and be at work at the same time hence the greek

what i meant for the first part is that currently 'ctrl/shift+doubleclick' will close the window and move the selected file after the currently playing one.

i'm going to sort out the way that double-clicking works for the next version (and document it all and/or put the shortcut's into the menus as well)

Quote:
but after enqueuing a song, FFW goes to a random song (my playlist is on shuffle), not the enqueued song
i'll check it out is what i was trying to say but got a bit confused i think

what i had meant is that even if shuffle is on the enqueued song should be played next (unless it has been removed or moved from it's initial enqueue position) but i will double check it.

-daz
Old 1st November 2003, 16:39   #47
amano
Major Dude

works great. that is THE plugin, i LOVE you.

the only thing I would prefer changed:
2 buttons at the bottom, one for "enqueue", one for "move after current"

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2003, 16:47   #48
DrO

the 'move after current' button is already on the list of things to do from this post.

i'm glad you like it but "i LOVE you" might be a bit strong

-daz
Old 1st November 2003, 18:16   #49
amano
Major Dude

Strong emotions for a strong prog )

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso

Like:
NORMAL: 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
ENQUEUED: [1] 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles

it should be a bit clearer to see it:
{(1)} 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
--{1}-- 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
1NEXT - 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles
(1)JUMP - 3. System Of A Down - Bubbles

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 1st November 2003, 22:26   #50
WHEREamI
Major Dude

ouch... i'll have to disagree with you on those suggestions (they look too sloppy), but maybe some spaces would be nice to separate it more.

[edit] sry, that sounded too harsh. i think it's a good suggestion in general, but not as-is, due to the ({[]}) looking very dirty, unproffsional, etc. [/edit]

hmm... i guess actually it would have to be "3. [1] System Of....", because i believe wa adds the pl number at the beginning, and that can't be changed. i could be wrong though.

~WHEREamI

(interesting how involved i am in this thread while so against wa5 in favor of wa3/WP...)

Last edited by WHEREamI; 1st November 2003 at 22:45.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 05:47   #51
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Wa3 adds the queue # after the track time and makes room for it by moving every single item in a bit..
Before, Wa3 added the queue # first, then pl # etc..

Anyways, this is seriously turning out to be a very good enhancement to J and Winamp 2/5 in general.

Would it be possible at all to implement enqueue options in the pledit/media library right-click menu?
And if you found any way, add the [#] thing to the pledit/ml aswell, it would be so much better that way..

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 05:51   #52
Chris Diack

What a cool plugin. Inspired by the simplicity and functionality, I'd be interested to know if the jump to feature could be modified for our radio station (LPFM) or shoutcasters, whereby it could be asked to "jump forward to xxx.mp3/.wav at the top of the hour" as soon as the currently playing file is finished. We have been playing with a cool little program available at http://playlistbuilder.freeservers.com/wclock.exe which enqueues a predetermined file (News sounder, and News audio) into the playlist, but we need to jump forward to the start of the next hour's playlist which starts with a Legal ID or "Top Of The Hour" audio marker. We always schedule about 65 minutes of material into each hour and currently manually adjust it to if the hour with the added files enqueued. The general principal would be to look forward to the next instance of a file which has a predetermined sequence of characters. Currently we use a file containing the alphanumeric characters "4-----3 Song Promo xx.mp3" as our hourly marker (see attached Winamp.jpg) Any interest in an adaptation of this sort?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp.jpg (80.1 KB, 340 views)
Chris Diack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 07:12   #53
Wetzel

Send a message via AIM to Wetzel Send a message via Yahoo to Wetzel
Hey, great plugin, works beatifully!

thank you!
Wetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 11:47   #54
DrO

thanks people for the comments and ideas on things.

for the enqueue option i'll try and eventually get it into the pledit/ml but the main aim at the moment will be to get the core features working for the 'j' option.

[off topic slightly]
what's even better is that the girl friend can use the feature and she's a complete winamp noob
[/off topic slightly]

as for the enqueue indicators the aim is going to be to make it customisable for how you want to view it (i hope it will ) so that you'll have more control over things.

you'll have to give me a few days to get all the changes, ffwd bug fixed, etc put in but i'll post as soon as i can do (may be a few days though )

thanks for the support and feedback once more

-daz
Old 2nd November 2003, 11:50   #55
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
ouch... i'll have to disagree with you on those suggestions (they look too sloppy), but maybe some spaces would be nice to separate it more.

[edit] sry, that sounded too harsh. i think it's a good suggestion in general, but not as-is, due to the ({[]}) looking very dirty, unproffsional, etc. [/edit]

hmm... i guess actually it would have to be "3. [1] System Of....", because i believe wa adds the pl number at the beginning, and that can't be changed. i could be wrong though.

hmm. I think the point is to catch the eye. especially because the colour doesn't differ from unqueued items.

"3. [1] System Of...." doesn't, it looks like the first part of a song or a mislabeled song. but other proposals are certainly welcome.

EDIT: DrO's proposal to make it customizable is nice though.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88

Last edited by amano; 2nd November 2003 at 14:46.
Old 2nd November 2003, 14:25   #56
DrO

Quote:
DrO's proposal to make it customizable is nice though.
since it's not too clear at the moment what the best way to setup the text indicators is it is easier to make it customisable from the start rather than go for a fixed option which only a few will like and all the others will hate

also with the customising of the playlist tags now it makes more sense to keep with that style of things (that's how i see it)

-daz
Old 2nd November 2003, 14:43   #57
amano
Major Dude

Well, so let's just find a nice default setting. New examples (hopefully more pleasing ): EDIT: Updated
3. (1)♫ System of a Down - ALT-14 ASCI
4. ►[2] System of a Down - ALT-16 ASCI
5. ►2◄ System of a Down - ALT-16 and 17 ASCI

this customization setting could be included in the "configure selected plug-in" dialog in preferences, to make the "Jump TO" Dialog not too "bloated".
edit: maybe the force shuffle off option should go there, too.

EDIT (back): What about a test release with the ffward bug fixed?

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88

Last edited by amano; 2nd November 2003 at 15:21.
Old 2nd November 2003, 15:04   #58
DrO

Quote:
What about a test release with the ffward bug fixed?
if i was on my machine then i would - hard to do when at work

as for the config option i was thinking of using an integrated preferences page (which v2.9x upwards allows you to do but of course support for versions below 2.9x to keep everyone happy).

as for the 'force' option that was going to be moved to the config page anyway + will add it onto the right-click menu which is going to be altered again so 'extra' becomes 'options' which be more sensible i think.

before i forget, the track indicator will always be first (as far as i know for the moment) - is just how the playlist works from what i know of it

-daz
Old 2nd November 2003, 15:22   #59
amano
Major Dude

For those interested:
Check this thread http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=153674 , where the idea to bundle "J" and Enqueue had shown up first.
There is a bit of relevant information/suggestions there.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 2nd November 2003, 15:43   #60
Mmusicman

@Dro: 1st let me say, following the creation & evolution of this awsome plugin is the most fun I've had with winamp, period. I apologize for repeating, but, YOU ARE THE MAN!

As you stated, this is a plugin even your girlfriend can use! (I can relate!) The simplicity, but total functionality, of this plugin, make it so great! (not to mention we've been waiting years for this!!)

Everyone has so many great ideas on what they wish for it to do, but my wish is that it doesn't get too complicated. It already works exellent, and does mostly what we're hoping for. I am NOT a big fan of the media library, so any involvement there seems unneccessary to me, but ok if it doesn't complicate the playlist functionality. That's my opinion.. (now maybe a dedicated plugin for the ML option could be considered in future....)

Question: This may be premature but, is this thread where we should continue monitoring for updates, or will there be a set location?

Thanks again for the awsome effort...we truely appreciate it!!!

----------------

@Chris Diack: Thanks for the "Winamp Clock". I'm also involved with LPFM, and this also looks like a much needed and waited for addition. Unfortunately, you have to download and install a lot of crap before you find something that really works right! Very nice....
Old 2nd November 2003, 15:51   #61
amano
Major Dude

I second that DrO should focus on the playlist as the ML is changing currently very fast and would possibly break the plugin very soon.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 2nd November 2003, 16:15   #62
DrO

the ml will be a last option, once i've got the core features in then i will work on extras (already had a look at ml plugins).

i don't intend for it to get complicated - keep it easy for the girlfriend

i prefer the simple style of things of how things currently are but to still allow you to make use of the extended features if you want to use them. basically keeping it simple until you want more

Quote:
Question: This may be premature but, is this thread where we should continue monitoring for updates, or will there be a set location?
this is the best place since i don't have the web space to host

-daz
Old 2nd November 2003, 21:19   #63
amano
Major Dude

Hmm, can't stop thinkin about the plugin.

maybe a jump button should be added too, to perform the task the "J" dialog was designed for. otherwise you would press the "Jump to"-button and in the dialog you can do many things but (apparently) not jump to a file.

Then there would be 4 buttons:
-Jump to File
-EnqueueFile
-Move File after current
-Cancel File

If the option to force shuttle off was moved to prefernces (or somewhere else) there would be space for the new buttons.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 2nd November 2003, 21:50   #64
WHEREamI
Major Dude

how about 2 buttons: "OK" and "Cancel" and a radio-button list for the other three, with memory.
Quote:
Well, so let's just find a nice default setting. New examples (hopefully more pleasing ): EDIT: Updated
3. (1)♫ System of a Down - ALT-14 ASCI
4. ►[2] System of a Down - ALT-16 ASCI
5. ►2◄ System of a Down - ALT-16 and 17 ASCI
i like #5 there. customization would be nice too. mmm... make #5 the default.

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 22:10   #65
amano
Major Dude

aaah, nice to have found a pleasing one (my favourite too, btw)

EDIT2: That would look like:

-----------------------------------------------------
75. Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 06}- Where I End And You Begin
76. Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 07}- Suck Young Blood
77. ►2◄ Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 08}- The Gloaming
78. Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 09}- There There
79. Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 10}- I Will
80. ►1◄ Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 11}- Punch Up At A Wedding
81. Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 12}- Myxamatosis

EDIT1: btw, I like your radio button list idea! would make perfect sense.

Maybe there would be place for an options button between ok and cancel:

☻ Jump to File ○ Enqueue File ○ Move after Current File

[OK].....................[Options].....................[Cancel]

or

☻ Jump to File
○ Enqueue File ........................................ [Options]
○ Move after Current File

[OK]........................................................[Cancel]

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88

Last edited by amano; 2nd November 2003 at 23:47.
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:10   #66
Dipso

Yea was about to suggest the customizing idea aswhell. Maby if thiese functions ever get added to the full product, maby the title formating function allready in WA5.0 could be used for this. (Havent realy checked it out, so i might just not know what im talking about )

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:18   #67
amano
Major Dude

We are talking about customizing the enqueue marks in the playlist, not the way the song title is displayed.

I don't see any benefit from separating this option from the feature. It's definatly not title formatting.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:41   #68
Dipso

I know, i was just thinking that box might be used to define where and how the enqueuemarks are displayed if ever thiese features get added officaially. But like i said i haven't realy gotten my head around it and how it is done.

Then again, just adding a option/box like this might be just as easy:

Queuemarks:
[&n.]

Where anything you choose to enter around the &n is used (in this case the brackets) and the &n is ofcourse the queuenumber.

[&n.] would then give: [2.] Infected Mushroom - Bust a Move
<<&n>> would give: <<2>> Infected Mushroom - Bust a Move

I'm realy just throwing ideas into the air here.

Last edited by Dipso; 2nd November 2003 at 23:56.
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:50   #69
amano
Major Dude

dipso, what would be your favourite "default queuemark"? Look at my second-last post, I tried to create an optical (ascii) example.

I think that the customization should be done as you suggests, but not completely separated from the plugin (therefore not in the title formatting dialog).

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:01   #70
Dipso

Hm.. i mostly like my original idea of just plain squarebrackets, as i dont think they will be to hard to read... but as long as its customizable it doesn't realy matter for me....

Also note that some of my ideas is for when/if this gets fully integrated into the software, as i still mean it should. And for when we get to se it visualy implemented in the PLedit. (That was the original intention of my brackets post, a way of implementing it without breaking 2.x skins.

Old 3rd November 2003, 00:05   #71
amano
Major Dude

77. [2] Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 08}- The Gloaming
80. [1] Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 11}- Punch Up At A Wedding

hmm, I think, that doesn't really catch the eye

vs.

77. ►2◄ Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 08}- The Gloaming
80. ►1◄ Radiohead -{Hail to the Thief 11}- Punch Up At A Wedding

more opinions??

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:11   #72
Dipso

Maby something is wrong with your eye :P

But all joking aside, its all I realy need, and in my eyes it stands out just enough... but then again it might just be my hawklike perception

Old 3rd November 2003, 00:35   #73
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
Maby something is wrong with your eye :P
Yes, maybe
But you know, playlist fonts are usuallly small by default.

Maybe some people don't have any ID tags (or even tag the album number first ).

For example: There is a song without any ID tag in a folder called "Radiohead", and there in a subfolder called "Hail to the Thief" The song is named "(08) The Gloaming.mp3"

Then winamp would display:

77. [2] (08) The Gloaming.mp3

"77. [2] (08)" doesn't look very good.

For those reasons I think that the queuemarks should be as eye-catchy as possible, to compensate the lack of colour in comparison to wasabi player (WA3).

Just my 2 cents. In the end DrO will make his choice as the default one (and as it might be customizable, it can't piss anybody off ), I am just trying to exchange thoughts.

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:50   #74
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

if there was any way of putting the queue # before the track #, then there wouldn't be any need for this discussion, since:

[2] 77. (08) The Gloaming.mp3

stands out very well from:

76. (07) The Whatever.mp3
[2] 77. (08) The Gloaming.mp3
78. Something Else.mp3

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 01:09   #75
amano
Major Dude

That's right, but IIRC Dro assumed (somewhere above ?), that winamp puts the Playlist number first.

We will see, as I told it isn't much of a problem.

And even if pure brackets stand out well, do more eye-catchy variants stand out too much?

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
Old 3rd November 2003, 01:55   #76
GqSkrub
Major Dude

From what it seems.. some people like the "move after current" while some like "enqueue". if this is the case, then ctrl+enter can be "move after current" and shift+enter == "enqueue". this would be in addition to the alt+click/ shift+click.

No sig here folks.
Old 3rd November 2003, 02:15   #77
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by GqSkrub
From what it seems.. some people like the "move after current" while some like "enqueue". if this is the case, then ctrl+enter can be "move after current" and shift+enter == "enqueue". this would be in addition to the alt+click/ shift+click.
Old 3rd November 2003, 02:42   #78
Mmusicman

It would be totally awsome if you could choose your default operation for double-clicking on your selection, since some will mostly "enque", while others will mostly "move after current" (such as myself). It's really nice that this plugin should please just about everybody!

@Amano: I'm with you...I can't stop thinking about this plugin!
Old 3rd November 2003, 13:13   #79
DrO

Quote:
From what it seems.. some people like the "move after current" while some like "enqueue". if this is the case, then ctrl+enter can be "move after current" and shift+enter == "enqueue".
setup in the current build
Quote:
It would be totally awsome if you could choose your default operation for double-clicking on your selection, since some will mostly "enque", while others will mostly "move after current" (such as myself). It's really nice that this plugin should please just about everybody!
added in the current build too also the double-click will act the same as 'enter' (like in the playlist)

also i've fixed the fast forward issue (not allowing enqueue for the reverse button otherwise what's the point of rewind )

the 'force shuffle off' is in the preferences but not removed from the jump dialog yet (need to sleep occassionally after work )

also i'm working on an integrated preference page for the settings (which will drop back to a normal dialog for all you people using wa2.81 and below ) - the current build shows this (though got a few bits to make it use the same resource correctly)

as for the buttons, 'move after selected' is there now. i like the 'jump button' since that does seem to round things off nicely - will put in the next build along with menu options for the original jump mode (keep all happy i think )

aim is to get basic queue list up soon and custom string identifers for the jump dialog (the playlist will need a bit of fiddling to get it working i think but will do it once i've got the jump dialog fully working with the queue list)

i'll post the current build when i can get on a machine that'll let me.

-daz
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:21   #80
Dipso

Awsome DRo

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion