f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
But the WA5 ML is much more mature!
that it is, no question about it..
I soo want Wasabi Players ML to have all the features of the Wa5 ML. It would rule.

-Plague
Old 20th November 2003, 20:03   #122
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Oh, i'm sure it will. I'd think the ML is written pretty close to Wasabi, so wouldn't to hard to make it totally compatible. we just have to get through this wa5 release first.

~WHEREamI
Old 20th November 2003, 22:31   #123
evil_oj

Plague,

Wouldn't you rather have them concentrate on Winamp 5 for now, and leave Winamp3 alone? I know that you still treasure Winamp3, but the reasons to keep it are getting smaller in number. Sure it has neat components, but name some major ones that would justify using WA3 over Winamp 5.

If they work full time on Winamp 5, it's media library would be great, and it would come along quickly, rather than 3 and 5 both slowly getting the same features; slower than the competition. I understand that it's probably not a big deal to copy the code over, but instead of doing that, they could be working further on the strongest product.

edit:
Besides, Nullsoft is going to do what's right. Our talking about this won't affect them beause they'll choose whatever makes sense from where they are.

edit2:
Well that's not entirely true, they will listen to what the people want. But since most people will like Winamp 5 better..

Last edited by evil_oj; 20th November 2003 at 22:58.
Old 21st November 2003, 01:16   #124
Darth Maul BR

Great new version... Thanks!

Some Sugestions:

- Main Window need an Cover Art view (like iTunes and Musicmatch);
- Media Library need an Directory and Sub-Directory Scan for playlists m3u and pls (for "Playlists" feature);

Thanks for all!
Old 21st November 2003, 01:35   #125
net-cruizer

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Maul BR

Some Sugestions:

- Media Library need an Directory and Sub-Directory Scan for playlists m3u and pls (for "Playlists" feature);

Thanks for all!
How bout Nooooooooooooo.
lol. we definitely don't need Winamp looking like MusicCrap Jokebox.
Besides, Winamp does album covers ver well.
Old 21st November 2003, 01:58   #126
kiilu
Major Dude

is it me or is it slower than beta2??
Old 21st November 2003, 02:05   #127
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
Oh, i'm sure it will. I'd think the ML is written pretty close to Wasabi, so wouldn't to hard to make it totally compatible. we just have to get through this wa5 release first.
This is untrue: the Winamp 5 ML is coded as a Winamp 2 plugin, not a wasabi component (hence it can be used without gen_ff.dll installed - it was in Winamp 2 before Wasabi support was added).

However, such features will soon be available for Wasabi Player, mainly because I wrote them about 8 months ago and never got around to releasing them.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 21st November 2003, 02:10   #128
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
Wouldn't you rather have them concentrate on Winamp 5 for now, and leave Winamp3 alone? I know that you still treasure Winamp3, but the reasons to keep it are getting smaller in number. Sure it has neat components, but name some major ones that would justify using WA3 over Winamp 5.
Who mentioned anything about Nullsoft? I'm writing that functionality for Wasabi Player, and when last I checked, I wasn't employed by AOL.

I make no excuses - the main advantages that Wasabi Player has over Winamp 5 are for developers, not end users: Extensibility, platform independence, mostly open-source codebase. But in the long run this will make it more attractive to end users too.

Our talking will not affect what Nullsoft do, but hell and high water won't stop me doing what I like with Wasabi Player.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 21st November 2003, 02:23   #129
Ebany

Quote:

Some Sugestions:

I definatly want to see something native to Winamp for reading cover art from the mp3 rather than fetching it from the internet. The id3 format allows it, I use it, and using a plugin for something so basic is silly. Having Winamp go out and fetch a piece of cover art when one is available in the current file also seems silly.
Old 21st November 2003, 02:24   #130
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_oj
Plague,

If they work full time on Winamp 5, it's media library would be great, and it would come along quickly, rather than 3 and 5 both slowly getting the same features; slower than the competition. I understand that it's probably not a big deal to copy the code over, but instead of doing that, they could be working further on the strongest product.

edit:
Besides, Nullsoft is going to do what's right. Our talking about this won't affect them beause they'll choose whatever makes sense from where they are.

edit2:
Well that's not entirely true, they will listen to what the people want. But since most people will like Winamp 5 better..
I'm not talking about Winamp3, I'm talking about Wasabi Player, which in reality is Winamp3 but without the name confusion, and it's still in development.

I'm all for Winamp 5, but I don't get why some people want to SHUT DOWN Wasabi Player, when it's infact beeing developed by Brennan (and some of us forumers are helping out aswell, I'm working on wa2 skin compatibility for example) who's not even working on Winamp 5 and never was.

-Plague
Old 21st November 2003, 02:28   #131
graigsmith

Send a message via AIM to graigsmith
simple but effective request..

an easier way to set ratings...

perhaps when you are listening to a song.. you can rate it right away.. by either using - and = to adjust them.. and little stars would show up in the name scroll bar.. or perhaps just 1-5.. would make getting the ratings on things easy.
Old 21st November 2003, 02:40   #132
dwilliss

Quote:
...Buy winamp! I never thought I would, but after this version, I think its a justifiable purchase.
I actually paid for Winamp 1.something a long, long time ago. I haven't actually tried any of the 5.0 betas yet (downloading now) but if it's as good as I've read, I'll probably shell out a few bucks for the Pro version.

OK, got it installed. Found a couple minor bugs and one big one which I'll post in the correct thread.
Old 21st November 2003, 02:48   #133
synmoo

This build absolutely rules over beta3. The database enhancements are exactly the direction it needs to go in order to replace using explorer. I do have some suggestions:

1. Ability to rate files from playlist and a hotkey to rate current file or something. Need a faster way of rating while playing

2. Ability to jump to current playing file in the media library. With a huge library it's easy to get lost between playlist and the library. needs more continuity between the two. Also a context menu in the playlist editor to find in library (under local media)

3. show ranking in modern skin? (prob not gonna happen I know)

4. going from different views in ML should have an option to remember the window's current scroll position. I find it hard with a huge media library to go back and forth.. have to keep scrolling all the time which is annoying. If each window remembered it's scroll position that would be a huge convenience!

All in all I think this is amazing - especially the ability to add your own database queries!!!!
Old 21st November 2003, 03:34   #134
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

4. Prefs -> Media Library -> Library Options:
Remember search filters in media and album views
Old 21st November 2003, 03:38   #135
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Well, Winamp has come a very long way since winamp 1

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 21st November 2003, 04:18   #136
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Now tell us something we don't know
Old 21st November 2003, 04:26   #137
Amiantos

Send a message via AIM to Amiantos
Notifcations?

How do you turn on balloon notifications? Is there an option somewhere that I am blind to? Doesn't seem to be happening when minimized... Do you need to have one of the display options (taskbar or tray) enabled? I use the Winamp Agent as my minimize control, if that effects anything.

Who remembers Winamp before it was skinned? How about who remembers downloading numerous winamp.exes in order have custom skins? Man those were the days.
Old 21st November 2003, 04:46   #138
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

yup

notification options are in: config tray -> options -> notifications
"Show always" should work in all modes (maximized, winshade, minimized),
or at least it does for me...

hmm . . . I don't have Agent installed, so I'm not sure, but it's possible that Winamp itself needs to be open and set to show in taskbar or systray
Old 21st November 2003, 04:50   #139
Amiantos

Send a message via AIM to Amiantos
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
yup

notification options are in: config tray -> options -> notifications
"Show always" should work in all modes (maximized, winshade, minimized),
or at least it does for me...

Errr... oh... how about in non-modern skins? is this strictly for modern skins? sad ;(

Also, I thought this would be handled in balloon tips like when XP notifies you about critical updates or low disk space... Oh well. Sounded good in theory, at least.
Old 21st November 2003, 05:13   #140
sanosuke
Major Dude

actually amianatos it is only for the winamp modern skin, not ever other third party modern skins .

it would be nice if it used the XP/2000 notification balloon but that would not work with 9x/ME. (not even sure if the modern skin pop up box worked in 9x in the first place)

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 21st November 2003, 05:18   #141
grant_pritchard

Quote:

Some Sugestions:

Thanks for all!
I agree.

1. Cover art rocks -- having a good local filesystem-based album cover art feature (instead of the current browser-based "now playing"/"item info" alternatives) is a great idea. The cover art can be cached on the computer instead of downloaded/browsed on each song change. At the moment, there is just a 58x58 px album cover (in the ML), and much more space for things like "AC/DC box set winner! AC/DC - live" and "Buy The Razors Edge Now". In the "now playing" area of ML, the picture is a 'whopping' 100x100 pixels. Of course, clicking on the picture enlarges it and gives an album list, but a minimalist approach to album art might be a great feature: a big picture of the album with track listing (downloaded automatically and cached on the user's computer)

Quote:
How bout Nooooooooooooo.
lol. we definitely don't need Winamp looking like MusicCrap Jokebox.
Besides, Winamp does album covers ver well.
2. Having great cover art support doesn't equate to looking like MusicMatch Jukebox. Surely you've got a better reason for avoiding album covers. Oh, and I disagree about "winamp doing album covers [sic] ver well". It doesn't do them well -- it is the same old minibrowser we knew before.

Not dissing here, just giving my view. I think RC8 rocks: GO RATINGS FOR TRACKS!

Oh, and does the rating for a track affect how often it is played in random mode? I sure hope so!

G
Old 21st November 2003, 05:25   #142
grant_pritchard

I do think that embedding album cover art in the MP3 file isn't the way to go, unless there is some kind of standard in place for it (e.g. the first track for each album has the cover art embedded). However, there isn't a standard/convention, and this doesn't work well when you do not have entire albums. I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but WA5 (or somewhere down the track at least) could really lead the way when it comes to album cover art -- Perhaps storing album cover art in the ML database would be a better solution than either of a. storing a "folder.jpg" file for each album folder or b. embedding the album file.

Perhaps this will be added in RC10? LOL

G
Old 21st November 2003, 05:40   #143
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Sorry, but as you've already stated, Winamp already has a cover feature
(c/o ml -> now playing / show info).

Now if more than 75% of users actually had all the covers for all albums stored on their hard drives and/or in the id3 tags, then the call for relevant built-in support would be valid. But seeing the figure is probably closer to less than 10%, the choice you are given is to install one of the many available cover plugins . . . and afaik, that's the way it will stay.
Old 21st November 2003, 06:15   #144
grant_pritchard

Winamp 5 RCx?

How about this as an option for Winamp 5 for album integration:

Closed:

Open:

I know it looks pretty crap, but it gives you an idea: the album and track list integrated to the main Winamp window. Of course the space for the cover, cover size and track list could be a bit bigger, but I had limited time to whip this one together.

I think a feature like the pics above would be a real asset for Winamp's core feature base.

Edit: Note the use of the little arrow button to slide the Cover/Album List area in and out
Old 21st November 2003, 06:21   #145
ujay
Forum King

Last word on the 'Preferences' > 'Title' > 'Help' screen should be "filename" ??

UJ
Old 21st November 2003, 06:22   #146
grant_pritchard

Quote:
Sorry, but as you've already stated, Winamp already has a cover feature
(c/o ml -> now playing / show info).

Now if more than 75% of users actually had all the covers for all albums stored on their hard drives and/or in the id3 tags, then the call for relevant built-in support would be valid. But seeing the figure is probably closer to less than 10%, the choice you are given is to install one of the many available cover plugins . . . and afaik, that's the way it will stay.
I agree with you, but what I am suggesting is that Winamp *automagically* downloads the covers for the user. This makes your "75%" argument less valid. Your argument is analogous to saying "if only 10% of users write their ID3s (album, year, artist, genre, title) correctly, then we shouldn't provide a service to automatically download and suggest updates/corrections to 'malformed' ID3s). People will only find this useful if 75% of them have well-formed ID3s for their MP3 collections
Old 21st November 2003, 06:23   #147
dwilliss

Re: Notifcations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Amiantos
How do you turn on balloon notifications? Is there an option somewhere that I am blind to?
Options / Winamp Modern / Notifications

You have to be using the modern skin for it to be there.
Old 21st November 2003, 06:56   #148
Smigit

ok i know this is rc 8 so its probably basically feature locked for this release (if you follow software release conventions, nopw will be bug fixes). but i reckon the media Library could do with a touch up. its great but when you click audio under local media you get 3 seperate "frmes" and it seems to be a bit cluttered for me.

Personally id rather a WMP9 style where the left bar has a sub option under audio for artist/album/all. its alot cleaner and less cluttered. thats my only real gripe however in what seems to be a good release, mayb be good enough to get me back onto winamp (i sused 2.8 for ages but went to wmp9 for the better ML). just i reckon that it would be a good fix or addition, but i suppose its up to personal taste anyway.

and the new theme is pretty good also
Old 21st November 2003, 07:11   #149
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Still no one has answered my question WTF does RC mean?

@Smigit -> If you like WiMP then use it.

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
Old 21st November 2003, 07:18   #150
swhite

Well, Nullsoft took interface ideas from iTunes rather than WMP, which was an excellent idea because MP sucks. I'm glad they did what they did.

Shayne
Old 21st November 2003, 07:30   #151
Rellik
Major Dude

RC == Release Canidate
Old 21st November 2003, 07:39   #152
WHEREamI
Major Dude

@WhiteRayven
RC = Release Candidate. basically a step above beta. all features should be implemented, maybe a few bugs left.

edit: Doh! you beat me to it.

~WHEREamI
Old 21st November 2003, 08:50   #153
Smigit

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRayven

@Smigit -> If you like WiMP then use it.
i like winamp, i like it alot, however i feel that this is a better way of doing it, thats all. it was the best example i had.
Old 21st November 2003, 11:05   #154
nybergh
Dialup Junkie
(Major Dude)

I dig it. Ok, it's not completely as light as 2.81 anymore but compared to WiMP, RealONE and iTunes the amount of customizable features and effectivity is in a whole new different sphere.

Will AOL Time Warner attach the final version WA5 with Netscape? I remember Netscape 6 came with Winamp some time ago.
Old 21st November 2003, 11:42   #155
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Originally posted by nybergh
Will AOL Time Warner attach the final version WA5 with Netscape? I remember Netscape 6 came with Winamp some time ago.
Err, that's sort of unlikely since Netscape no longer exists (more specifically, it only exists as an ISP now). AOL sacked the remainder of Netscape in July. So there will be no more Netscape browsers, although Mozilla will continue (AOL will distribute IE exclusively).

Old 21st November 2003, 12:02   #156
Smigit

not sure...is this a bug

when i launch winamp and before doing anything right click on the system trey the options for "windows settings" (such as opaque and scale) arent visible. the option to change these in the taskbar then becomes useable after rightclicking anywhere on winamp (no need to select any options but) and then right clicking again on the taskbar.

also if you resize it the tick next to the current size is always next to the size that winamp launched in, the same applies for opacitie. this only applies as long as you dont right click on winamp itself, once again just the task bar icon and the changing of the size and opacitie using the icon as opposed to the player itself. if u then righclick winamp the taskbar options will then update themselves.

not sure if these are bugs, are known and if i should even post these here. at least can someone explain this to me?

EDIT: i mean system trey, sorry, the system trays icon
Old 21st November 2003, 12:06   #157
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Crazy. They look like bugs to me.

Old 21st November 2003, 12:07   #158
Smigit

so i take it that it is happening for you also?
Old 21st November 2003, 12:07   #159
steak
Major Dude

Quote:
btw, have you tried playing with the Opacity / Hover settings in:
Prefs > Modern Skins -> Alpha Blending ?
Now thats cool
Old 21st November 2003, 12:09   #160
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yeah, I've reported them.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion