Old 2nd April 2004, 08:29   #121
chris_d_smith

Quote:
Originally posted by liquidmotion
um dude, that's a zip file. where's the installer?
installer is inside the zip file. The forums wont let me post exe's... =(
chris_d_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 08:41   #122
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
upload somewhere else and link plz.

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 09:40   #123
chris_d_smith

ummmm, ok, try here

Unfortunately, i can only keep it there for a week or so as i have to change ISP's
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:00   #124
COtto1984

Send a message via AIM to COtto1984
looks like play.gif is missing

COtto
COtto1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2004, 10:28   #125
theknub
Major Dude

download it and see.... or i can tell you he zipped the .exe so you unzip the .exe and then run that

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 23:49   #126
lunarboy1
Forum King

the exe is packaged in the zip
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2004, 23:56   #127
lunarboy1
Forum King

pretty slick, i get this html error though

<option class='class='search dropdown select_artist' value=>&lt;Browse by Artist&gt;</option>

the second line shouldn't have the double class=' i believe

(it's line 113 of the generated main page)

[edit] another suggestion, icons (images) for [Delete] and [Jump To] links, they kinda clutter things up. And, listing EVERY artist on the front page could have an option to just use the drop down menu, because listing all the artists really bogs down the page when you have many many many artists.

ooo and more coolness: to simulate the playlist view being real time, when a song is being played you could use a little javascript to have the time position update on the song until the next refresh.
Old 4th April 2004, 02:37   #128
WHEREamI
Major Dude

<edit> oops... nevermind </edit>
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 11:03   #129
chris_d_smith

Quote:
Originally posted by lunarboy1
pretty slick, i get this html error though

<option class='class='search dropdown select_artist' value=>&lt;Browse by Artist&gt;</option>

the second line shouldn't have the double class=' i believe

(it's line 113 of the generated main page)

[edit] another suggestion, icons (images) for [Delete] and [Jump To] links, they kinda clutter things up. And, listing EVERY artist on the front page could have an option to just use the drop down menu, because listing all the artists really bogs down the page when you have many many many artists.

ooo and more coolness: to simulate the playlist view being real time, when a song is being played you could use a little javascript to have the time position update on the song until the next refresh.
Re: error
coolies, thanks for that, i'll fix it for the next version...

Re: images for delete/jump
Yep, will have that in the next version... + stream/download links on the playlist (hopefully). The next version will have some support for loading/saving playlists so it'll be handy to then stream a playlist that you've loaded...

Re: every artist
hmmm, shouldn't slow it down too much but i'll put the option in anyway (pretty easy to do).

I was thinking that it's probly a good idea to have a mode where it doesnt put in nearly as much CSS information as that is now probly about 50% of the content :/ that should speed it up for slow connections. Most of the CSS is pretty unnecessary unless you want really funky skins.

Re Javascript:
hmm will have a go sounds like a good idea...
Old 4th April 2004, 19:16   #130
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
honestly, i dont think you can really speed up the loading that much. i mean, ooh, 20k.

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 21:01   #131
AnalogRoaming

Stream bitrate

How hard would it be to allow a bitrate setting for the streaming? My cable connection is only 128kb up and so when I stream songs to work they cut out if they're at 192 or higher.

Just a thought.... maybe steal the code from Shoutcast or something...

Otherwise, this is great. Super great.
AnalogRoaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2004, 23:12   #132
D&B
Banned

Yea, thats what I was saying, same with me so I love it.

My cable can handle up to 192, but cuts out after that, and much of music is higher then that.

Anyway, even if you cant do it, thanks for your awesome work Chris.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 03:07   #133
chris_d_smith

change bitrate for streaming.

hmmm, had a look at how the plugin does streaming, doesnt look like there's much that i can do without making huge changes to the way it works

At the mo, it basically just creates a playlist containing hyperlinks to the file/files you wish to stream on the webserver. It then relies on the receiver's player to do the "streaming" - that is "play the song as you download it". There isn't really a shoutcast server or anything to do the bitrate conversion

The easiest way i can think of to get it working would be to use winamp's internal format converter to convert the file to a lower bitrate and then send a link to that but not sure how to get that to be a smooth stream (converting is probly slow). Maybe it's possible to output the stream as it's being converted? <shrug> dunno
Old 5th April 2004, 05:30   #134
Veej007

killer.

anyone wanna point me to a place where i can find prepackaged css sheets? i don't know if i have the motivation to figure out how all that works on my own, but having some customized looks would be bomb.

a few things missing:

need to be able to exclude particular files or media views. i have my winamp library set up such that my "new downloads" folder is accessible, but i do not want these to be in my ml_www for others to access and download, because i haven't yet checked them for errors or made sure that the tag data is correct.

also, my version of this plugin doesn't seem to be handling the %20 character properly for downloads. trying to download a file called

satriani, joe - crystal planet.mp3

will only result in me getting a file called

satriani,

worse, this means that there is no file extension, so the computer on the other end won't automatically know what to do with the file.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 07:54   #135
D&B
Banned

Re: change bitrate for streaming.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_d_smith
At the mo, it basically just creates a playlist containing hyperlinks to the file/files you wish to stream on the webserver. It then relies on the receiver's player to do the "streaming" - that is "play the song as you download it". There isn't really a shoutcast server or anything to do the bitrate conversion
Yeah, I know that how it is now. My solution now is to just download what I want to play and then play it. Still pretty sweet.

To do it, the plugin would have to do the streaming, not the client. I think the conversion and then stream converted file is a little weird. I think the best solution would be to interact with an already present streaming system or to code a new one. I know its a lot of work, and I guess the people who would like it our a minority.

Really though, thanks to everyone for this plugin. Its amazing!
Old 5th April 2004, 11:24   #136
chris_d_smith

streaming

hey, was thinking, assuming your the only person using the plugin on your home computer, could you just install the shoutcast plugin for winamp and then use the remote control features of ml_www to determine what is played on your shoutcast server?

shoutcast plugin
Old 5th April 2004, 21:27   #137
D&B
Banned

That is a sweet idea! Im swamped with school this week (am only posting this cause im fooling around at work), but when I have time this weekend Ill give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
Old 5th April 2004, 21:50   #138
jscanlon

I have no idea how to program but it might be neat to add options to add/remove the button to enqueue entire albums. Then you could almost use this as a kind of party mode for winamp. Know what I mean? Add a control panel allowing the administrator to specify what can be enqueued to the playlist and what can't?

jim
jscanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 22:12   #139
jscanlon

Also, add a way for when the user requested playlist runs out, Winamp automatically switches into random mode, but when a user adds a song to the playlist, it plays that requested song next before switching back into random mode.

jim
jscanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 01:02   #140
lunarboy1
Forum King

here's what i mean with the time thing. I didn't know how to make the DLL do what I want, so here's what I did javascript wise. The script block is added in the head section:
code:

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
// Brian Lunardini

var pt = new Date(0);
var tt = new Date(0);
function startTime() {
var t = document.getElementById("playTime").innerHTML.split(":");
pt.setMinutes( t[0], t[1] );
var t = document.getElementById("totalTime").innerHTML.split(":");
tt.setMinutes( t[0], t[1] );

setTimeout("updateTime()",1000);
}

function updateTime() {
pt.setTime( pt.getTime() + 1000 );
if( pt.getTime() > tt.getTime() )
document.location.reload();
var s = pt.getSeconds();
if( s < 10 )
s = "0" + s;
document.getElementById("playTime").innerHTML=pt.getMinutes()+":"+s;
setTimeout("updateTime()",1000);
}

//]]>
</script>

the body tag is modified like so:
code:

<body onLoad="startTime()">

the the time display needs this added:
code:

<TD class='results album track track_length'>
[<span id="playTime">1:52</span>/<span id="totalTime">8:01</span>]</TD>

The script reads the time inbetween the span and adjusts it appropriatly. A demo is at http://www.bluni.com/a.html if you want to check it out. It adds leading zeroes as well, (let it run). But wait, there's more. It calls an automatic refresh when the time runs out on a song. I think it's helpful because, if a song updates at it's at 3:49/3:50 for another minute, i'd like it updated. But that's just me.

Hope it can be done not too hard, i tried to limit the effect on the general document with the time reading and all.

Brian

P.S. one line is condensed so it wouldn't mess up the forum layout

P.S.S. Okay, it's still a little messed up, my bad .

[last-edit-i-promise] What i meant about faster loading by leaving out the artist list was not to save bandwidth, but if you're on a "lesser" machine, the huge HTML file makes it hard to scroll, plus I don't see that much use for it if you have a huge collection, but again, just my opinion.
Old 6th April 2004, 04:14   #141
chris_d_smith

timer

thnx for the script lunarboy1, i wrote one the other day but mine's a fair bit more complex so i'll give yours a go...

Hopefully will get a new version out tomorrow or the day after. So far, changes will be:

- HTML is now valid XHTML 1.0 (checked with the W3C validator even ). I know that must have been keeping all you guys up at night worrying , should mean that everything works properly in most modern browsers tho.

- Save/Load playlists available in remote control mode.

- Stream playlist.

- Display of "artist browser" is now optional

- Dropdown artist list now works as it was supposed to (automatically does search when an artist is selected)

- Images for delete/jumpto links on playlist

- Javascript timer for currently playing track time so that time is now displayed every second rather than just when the page is refreshed...
Old 6th April 2004, 12:07   #142
Dextro

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!

ml_www is looking sweet, can't wait for this next version, your last 2 ones already rocked I can imgine this on!

Keep it up

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 20:22   #143
lunarboy1
Forum King

Hey chris, I mentioned an error earlier before, and it seems that every time the drop down menu is used, the line that says &lt;Browse by Artist&rt; has an error in the class attribute. Just realized the problem wasn't just a one-time occurance, my bad. You probably caught that already though .
Old 6th April 2004, 20:29   #144
theknub
Major Dude

chris... looking awesome. i can't tell ya how great this new version is.

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 00:37   #145
D&B
Banned

Re: streaming

Quote:
hey, was thinking, assuming your the only person using the plugin on your home computer, could you just install the shoutcast plugin for winamp and then use the remote control features of ml_www to determine what is played on your shoutcast server?

shoutcast plugin
Well, right now I am listening to a shoutcast stream broadcast from my home computer as suggested.

Pros:
-recompression allows me to listen to even my 320 kbs mp3s remotely (not at that bandwith of course.)
-works with any file type. Now I can listen to my obscure filetypes like .psf at work on my mac streaming from home!
-using a dsp stacker, i can use my favorite dsp (enhancer)

Cons-
-25 second delay between me jumping to atrack using ml_www and hearing the change in the stream. People familair with shoutcast - is this a usual delay?

The only thing I would really like, that might already be there I am just away from my comp (obviously) is a configurable time for the playlist refresh (basically my playlist is so long I cant use it right now it refreshes so fast.)

Oh, and can the playlist controls be moved to the top of the remote control mode? I think they would be way more useful there, would they?

***** Edit ***********
Cut out stupidity.
Old 7th April 2004, 00:45   #146
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Yeah. SHOUTcast is not known for being real time. If it is a private stream use the SHOUTcast DNAS 1.7.1. It has some security issues, so I wouldn't use it for a public stream, but it doesn't have the built in 1MB buffer of later DNAS versions. It's available on Sawg Stuff, but I don't remember the new address.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 00:46   #147
Dextro

yes it is normal that delay un the shoutcast stream and you can chose the refresh rate, just look closely in the prefs of the ml_www plugin

Old 7th April 2004, 00:49   #148
D&B
Banned

Re: timer

Quote:
Hopefully will get a new version out tomorrow or the day after. So far, changes will be:
Cant wait!
Quote:
- HTML is now valid XHTML 1.0 (checked with the W3C validator even ).
Thats a good thing to strive for, regardless if it makes a difference now.
Quote:
- Save/Load playlists available in remote control mode.
Sweet!
Quote:
- Display of "artist browser" is now optional
Awesome as well.
Quote:
- Javascript timer for currently playing track time so that time is now displayed every second rather than just when the page is refreshed...
Ooooh, very nice. I asked earlier if the playback controls could be move to the top, if so, it would be cool if it also said the current playing song and time elapsed as well.
Old 7th April 2004, 00:50   #149
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dextro
yes it is normal that delay un the shoutcast stream and you can chose the refresh rate, just look closely in the prefs of the ml_www plugin
Cool, I figured it had to be there. Just cant check right now because Im miles away from my comp, and not on windows either
Old 7th April 2004, 00:53   #150
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
Yeah. SHOUTcast is not known for being real time. If it is a private stream use the SHOUTcast DNAS 1.7.1. It has some security issues, so I wouldn't use it for a public stream, but it doesn't have the built in 1MB buffer of later DNAS versions. It's available on Sawg Stuff, but I don't remember the new address.
Sawg's Stuff

I see it, cool Ill set it up tonight when I get home and see how it streams to work. Thanks for the info.
Old 7th April 2004, 00:54   #151
D&B
Banned

Quote:
I was thinking that it's probly a good idea to have a mode where it doesnt put in nearly as much CSS information as that is now probly about 50% of the content :/ that should speed it up for slow connections. Most of the CSS is pretty unnecessary unless you want really funky skins.
I dont plan on using anything besides the default skin you made (its great!), so if the main default had only the CSS it needed, and a 2nd template for skinners had all the CSS, then people on slower pipes like me would surely benefit from the trimmed sizes
Old 7th April 2004, 00:58   #152
lunarboy1
Forum King

its hard to have two versions, because you need to leave the class declarations in there no matter what. If broswers universally accepted css 2.0 selectors then the job would be much much much much easier. But then again, the only really css heavy parts are just html pages like the remote control panel.
Old 7th April 2004, 00:59   #153
Reaper
Forum King

@Badrad:

Behold the powers of:

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 01:59   #154
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
@Badrad:

Behold the powers of:
[Image]
Meh, lazyness.

I thought of something that I think would be cool to improve the visual use of a long playlist:

The Table Rule

Example

*edit->fix url*
Old 7th April 2004, 06:10   #155
chris_d_smith

The Table Rule

Yep, cool idea badrad, I put that in too... (although used more generic code so you should be able to apply hover highlighting to anything with it...)
Old 7th April 2004, 06:20   #156
chris_d_smith

Quote:
Originally posted by lunarboy1
its hard to have two versions, because you need to leave the class declarations in there no matter what. If broswers universally accepted css 2.0 selectors then the job would be much much much much easier. But then again, the only really css heavy parts are just html pages like the remote control panel.
yep but was thinking that, for ppl who just want to use in specific locations where they know they have a CSS2.0 compatable browser installed, we could ditch all the class attributes and have a special version of the stylesheet that just used fancy selectors... would be pretty easy to do and would probly cut page volumn in half... dunno, might do it some time in the future =)
Old 7th April 2004, 07:54   #157
D&B
Banned

*sigh*
My winamp was crashing on any video file...turns out it is the shoutcast plugin, even when not active. Crashing doesnt go away until its uninstalled.

Why can't this be easy?
Old 7th April 2004, 11:58   #158
Dextro

wierd badrad, any third party plugins? I have the shoutcast plugin installed and have no problems.

Old 7th April 2004, 19:06   #159
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dextro
wierd badrad, any third party plugins? I have the shoutcast plugin installed and have no problems.
Tons of plugins. Tons. I guess Ill do a fresh install and start adding plugins in until it stops working. Thanks for letting me know its not a normal problem.
Old 7th April 2004, 20:42   #160
Christophe
Sexaholic

Very nice, chris_d_smith! Email me at christophe@winamp.com and I'll give you access to the winamp.com ml_www plugin page so you can update it with your latest versions.

BTW, about the transcoding for streaming at a specified bitrate, you should wait for the new Winamp transcoding APIs that should be in around 5.05.

-Christophe

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion