Old 7th April 2004, 20:54   #161
amano
Major Dude

@Christophe

Is there a todo list for Winamp currently. It would be very pleasing to hear what could be next

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 20:54   #162
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
Quote:
Originally posted by Christophe
you should wait for the new Winamp transcoding APIs that should be in around 5.05.
huzzah!
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 03:16   #163
lunarboy1
Forum King

sexalicious

[edit]Chris did get my PM [/edit]
lunarboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 09:40   #164
chris_d_smith

new version

Yay, new version! Here's a temporary link for the moment, hopefully with a more permanent home tomorrow.

Here

code:

Changes:

- (optionally) Added javascript timer to keep the track position in sync
- New images for delete and jumpto on the playlist
- Playlist controls are now up the top of the playlist page
- Can turn on/off artist browser
- Default skin now highlights rows in the results list and playlist when
the mouse is over them
- Can now save/load playlists from the playlist panel. Playlists are saved
to your ml_www config folder.
- (optionally) Can now stream and download items from the playlist,
including the entire playlist (eg: for streaming predefined lists to
work or whatever...). If you dont want to use this, it's a good idea to
turn it off as it slows down page loading.
- Added a link to each track name. On the playlist, the link jumps to that
song. On the right panel in remote control mode, the link enqueues that
song. On the streaming mode pages, the link streams the song.
- Made pages (almost) XHTML 1.0 compliant. (see issue below). This has
fixed a few problems (eg dropdown artist chooser now works properly).

Known Issues:

- Link on track names should be configurable. The mechanisms are all set
up but, for some reason i cant get combo boxes to work on the plugin
dialog. I guess i'm missing some really obvious win32 combo box thing or
something but the dropdown list is displayed as a 2pixel slab, seems
like they work other than that - you can use the arrows to go through
the options. Any clues from the win32 gui ppl out there would be much
appreciated.
- Widths of the divs in IE are a bit screwy, dunno what's with that.
- Preferences dialog is now huge. Might get VC.Net soon and use the easy
tabbed panel control setup thingy it has in it's resource editor =)

- The "display lengths of songs other than the current one" feature on the
playlist turned out to be so prone to crashing that i had to take it
out... hopefully someone on the forums can tell me what i was doing
wrong...

Cheers,
Chris
chris_d_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 09:50   #165
chris_d_smith

known issues in new version

Not so happy that i had to take out the track lengths on non-current items in the playlist =(

Is very odd.. works fine for all tracks when using a debug build, crashes every time in a release build Guess I'm doing something dodgy (probly something really obvious too always the way )

Oh well, i'll post some questions in the developer forums and see what ppl say.
Old 8th April 2004, 09:51   #166
Dextro

Can't this be made to operate with the Media Library playlists insted of new ones?

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 16:21   #167
chris_d_smith

probably

This was the eaaiest way to do it as an initial attempt (since it's basically reusing existing code)

I'll have a go at using the ML playlists for next version
Old 8th April 2004, 23:19   #168
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Christophe
BTW, about the transcoding for streaming at a specified bitrate, you should wait for the new Winamp transcoding APIs that should be in around 5.05.
Holy shit! I love Nullsoft!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_d_smith
I'll have a go at using the ML playlists for next version
Sweet! I was gonna bring that up . Its cool to you see you implemented so many peoples requests.

About the Javascript timer, it does not start counting the time until the frame is completed loading. On a slower pipe with a long playlist, this leads to quite an incorect display in the time. Is this fixable?

Last edited by D&B; 8th April 2004 at 23:42.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 01:13   #169
chris_d_smith

Quote:
About the Javascript timer, it does not start counting the time until the frame is completed loading.
ummm, not that I know of, maybe someone else knows how?

It probably depends on what browser your using and the options you have set?

One thing i can suggest tho is turning off the "Allow streams in playlist" thing in the preferences (if you dont need it) as that definitely slows down page loading (proportional to the size of your playlist)
Old 9th April 2004, 01:35   #170
Veej007

KICK ASS

this plugin is now officially RIDICULOUS.

i can't believe this.

anyone else hotwiring their links in "now playing" to point to these?

anyway, some other things to think about:

* if you can access ml playlists, chances are you can access ml media views as well, right? that'd be bomb.

* how about a mass download feature, ie "copy entire playlist" (to portable, for example, if you plug your player in at a remote location)? much sleeker than having to do it one file at a time.

* speaking of downloads, any word on the %20 bug i mentioned before?

* how about an option for more than four accounts? ie refer to a logins.txt file on the host computer, which would contain lines saying

login,password:1,1,0

where the numbers refer to streaming, remote control, and admin control capabilities. then we could create as many of these as we wanted, and users could use the same logins and passwords as their email or IM accounts (or whatever else) and wouldn't have to remember yet another name/password combo.

* option to exclude some files/directory that are in the media library from being listed by ml_www? . This thread explains one of the reasons why i'm looking for this; the other is <edit: whoops, already mentioned this one last time> that i want to have my "new downloads" folder included in the winamp media library because of its sorting/mass tagging features, but i don't want to have them out there for people to download until i have checked the files for errors and manually filled in all the tag fields.</redundancy>

and just because i'm an idiot, could someone please tell me just what "admin control" means? i have enabled it but can't find any difference between that and remote control mode
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 06:13   #171
D&B
Banned

Quote:
It probably depends on what browser your using and the options you have set?
Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Quote:
One thing i can suggest tho is turning off the "Allow streams in playlist" thing in the preferences (if you dont need it) as that definitely slows down page loading (proportional to the size of your playlist)
I already have that turned off. It slows down the page by over 10x. Should it really be so drastic?
Old 9th April 2004, 10:08   #172
chris_d_smith

@Veej007

Quote:
* if you can access ml playlists, chances are you can access ml media views as well, right? that'd be bomb.
Yep should be able to do both of those at some point.

Quote:
* how about a mass download feature
That's a bit harder, given that you can only really send one file at a time, ml_www would have to zip the files or something before sending This was one of the things that i'd really like too but not sure when/whether I'll get to it...

Quote:
* speaking of downloads, any word on the %20 bug i mentioned before?
Might have a play with that for the next version... I'm running firefox too so it's annoying for me as well

Quote:
* how about an option for more than four accounts? ie refer to a logins.txt file on the host computer, which would contain lines saying
Yep, sounds like a good idea, will give it a go for next version.

@badrad

yer firefox seems a bit slower on the uptake than IE for starting javascript, not sure why...

I think i'm gonna spend a fair bit of time cleaning up the code and re-arranging things for the next release, so hopefully some spped improvements will come from that...

Quote:
Should it really be so drastic?
Yer, the reason it's so slow is that it actually has to individually query the details of each file from the media library to build the stream/download links on the playlist maybe i can rearrange the code a bit better so this takes less time but i think it's always gonna be slow
Old 9th April 2004, 17:31   #173
D&B
Banned

Quote:
@badrad

yer firefox seems a bit slower on the uptake than IE for starting javascript, not sure why...
Yer, the reason it's so slow is that it actually has to individually query the details of each file from the media library to build the stream/download links on the playlist maybe i can rearrange the code a bit better so this takes less time but i think it's always gonna be slow
Ah, thats why its slow. Its not a bandwith thing but an ML query thing. Got ya. Didnt know that

As far as firefox, if it is a firefox bug that it is waiting for the entire page loads before executing the javascript, we could submit a bug report, or maybe if we could create a javascript that measures the page load time, then add that value to the last known play time if the browser is gecko. I know the timer will never be perfectly accurate, but sometimes its way off.

The ML stuff sounds awesome. And I cant wait to see what you can do with the upcoming transcoding APIs, because as I have the shoutcast thing sorta working now, it would be much better to have it built into ml_www.

I also 2nd Veej007's suggestions

This plugin is so bad ass! Thangs again for your hard work Chris.

*edit idiot talk->english *
Old 9th April 2004, 18:12   #174
chris_d_smith

Quote:
As far as firefox...
Ah, got an email from lunarboy1 with a fix for the timer thingy so i'll include that next time...

Also got a reply to my post re problems getting track lengths so I should be able to add track lengths on the playlist back in, yay!

hmm, so many bugfixes... might do an update tomorrow just to clean up these loose ends before starting work on new features...
Old 9th April 2004, 21:40   #175
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Ah, got an email from lunarboy1 with a fix for the timer thingy so i'll include that next time...
Thanks lunarboy1!
Old 10th April 2004, 01:20   #176
Veej007

ok, just confirmed that the %20 bit is a firefox-only error. knowing that, i really don't care, because most people just use ie.

Quote:
the reason it's so slow is that it actually has to individually query the details of each file from the media library to build the stream/download links on the playlist maybe i can rearrange the code a bit better so this takes less time but i think it's always gonna be slow [/B]
why not have the ml build this and export it to ml_www upon rescan? then ml_www could load immediately. (though you should make sure to account for the fact that some people aren't going to have automatic rescan enabled)

also, i definitely think that ml_www deserves (perhaps more than any other ml plugin) to be integrated into the media library. the web page interface is very useful for when i'm not at my computer and for getting my music to people who don't use winamp, but it'd be great if we winamp users could have a "ml_www" entry on the left hand side of the media library (ie where "playlists" and "devices" are) that would show everything in that library.

it'd be even cooler if we could access the remote media as if it were in the media library; that is, not have to deal with the web interface, just have it load into the media library the same way it looks in media views of local media... sort by artist and year and track length and whatnot. that's probably pretty far off, i'd imagine, but i think that a ml entry where we could save bookmarks and passwords and such would probably be feasible?
Old 10th April 2004, 05:22   #177
WHEREamI
Major Dude

Quote:
also, i definitely think that ml_www deserves (perhaps more than any other ml plugin) to be integrated into the media library. the web page interface is very useful for when i'm not at my computer and for getting my music to people who don't use winamp, but it'd be great if we winamp users could have a "ml_www" entry on the left hand side of the media library (ie where "playlists" and "devices" are) that would show everything in that library.
try wombat share. discussion website
javajunky aims for it to be a cross-platform media sharing protocol. so far, he's implemented it for Winamp and Foobar2000.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 05:26   #178
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
Is it just me, or is someone else getting the repeat of songs at the end of each artist listing? (See Image)

This happens on every single artist. My bad is someone already posted this, I just skimmed everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ml_www_0.41a_bug1_repeat_v2.jpg (90.1 KB, 286 views)
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2004, 06:03   #179
chris_d_smith

@Kickboy12

what version are you using?

looks like liquidmotion's release from a while back? I dont think this occurs in later releases?
Old 10th April 2004, 08:07   #180
chris_d_smith

version 0.44b

Hi Guys,

Another update - all bugfixes this time :/

Changes:

Changes:
- Fixed play lengths for tracks other than the current one in the playlist
(thanks DrO)
- Fixed slow start for track timer in Mozilla (thanks lunarboy1)
- Fixed page validation, all main pages should now be valid XHTML
Transitional 1.0 (thanks lunarboy1 for doctype pointer)
- Fixed "delete" image on the playlist under certain circumstances - image
was only used sometimes previously (thanks lunarboy1 for noticing)
- Fixed problem where the track name link was not correctly created on the
media library pages

Plugin available here

Noticed a wierd problem on one of my winamp installs where enqueuing from ml_www would delete the rest of the playlist and immeadiately start playing the selected song. Think it might be due to some other plugin that i have installed on that computer tho :/ oh well, can ppl let me know if they have that problem?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 10th April 2004, 16:33   #181
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
If you checked the image files name, it said 0.41a.

I'll see if I still get it on the newer version.

Edit:
Looks much better.

- Thanks

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Old 10th April 2004, 18:36   #182
chris_d_smith

hehehe, yer i probly should read the names of files i click on

oh well - glad it works ok now
Old 10th April 2004, 18:55   #183
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
"also, i definitely think that ml_www deserves (perhaps more than any other ml plugin) to be integrated into the media library."

ditto.

while wombatshare is an awesome plug-in, isn't it just for networks, unlike ml_www, which has a wider range?
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 00:22   #184
lunarboy1
Forum King

Does anyone else get Kernel32.dll errors and winamp shuts down when they try to view http://localhost/ctrl ?

WinME (i know, i know)
IE 6.0.2800.1106 (if it matters)

[edit]It doesn't, the same happens in Opera and Mozilla. It seems to fail on retrieval of the CSS (because Opera shows text in the left pane) and the right frame never loads[/edit]
Old 11th April 2004, 01:03   #185
chris_d_smith

@lunarboy1

crap, sounds like the error for track lengths.... =/ can you see if the track lengths are displayed before winamp closes?

Hmm, wonder why it works on my machines....

edit:

also, does the problem still occur if you set "Load Track Lengths" to 1 in the preferences?
Old 11th April 2004, 07:30   #186
lunarboy1
Forum King

it works when Load Track Lengths is set to 1, no crash.
Old 11th April 2004, 14:31   #187
chris_d_smith

hmmm damnit... yer definitely track length thing again

Is anyone else having that crash? if so, is it only on WinME or other specific OS? doesnt seem to happen for me on Win2k...
Old 11th April 2004, 19:47   #188
Veej007

couple more thoughts...

maybe i'm missing something here, but is there any way to listen to the playlist in remote control mode? that is, instead of streaming the files from my remote computer, i'd like to let the winamp on my home computer start running and then just tune into that from a browser. see the difference?

also, there ought to be links for enqueue/play/etc "all search results.." or even better, check boxes next to each search result item and then controls for enqueue/play all selected items (and of course, a select/deselect all). i just noticed that the "search for anything containing..." WILL search genres, but then you have to go through and enqueue each one individually.

and i for one am waiting for searching of the comment field...
Old 11th April 2004, 20:19   #189
javajunky

Quote:
Originally posted by inthegray
"also, i definitely think that ml_www deserves (perhaps more than any other ml plugin) to be integrated into the media library."

ditto.

while wombatshare is an awesome plug-in, isn't it just for networks, unlike ml_www, which has a wider range?
Not any more, manual IPs are now implemented, they pretty much work so if you have a list of remote ip's in your manual IPs then anyone who puts you as a remote ip will get that list of ips and vice-versa, neato
javajunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 21:13   #190
Kickboy12

Quote:
hmmm damnit... yer definitely track length thing again

Is anyone else having that crash? if so, is it only on WinME or other specific OS? doesnt seem to happen for me on Win2k...
Works fine for me. I tried setting "Load Track Lengths" to 1, and 0, they both load perfectly.

OS: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1 (5.1 - 2600)
Browser: Firefox 0.8
ml_www: v0.44b
Old 11th April 2004, 21:37   #191
Kickboy12

Some Suggestions / Wishlist:

- Playlist Management in the Remote Control section should give a list of all the playlists currently in the ML. Or give a option in the prefs for this feature.

- In Remote Control, the playlist view should be broken up into dynamic pages in my opinion. When I'm viewing my complete playlist, It takes far to long to load 1889 songs.

I've also found another bug (Or just incomplete feature?). When unchecking Use Images, the Playlist in Remote Control screws up. (See Image)

It's coming along nicely, though. I love the customizable colors feature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ml_www_0.44b_bug2_text_v2.jpg (82.1 KB, 299 views)
Old 11th April 2004, 21:46   #192
Veej007

maybe you guys ought to consider merging the ml_www and wombatshare projects? or at least figure out how to make them talk to one another. cooperation, not competition. this is going to be amazing.
Old 11th April 2004, 21:51   #193
javajunky

They solve different problems really, [as far as I see it] one allows you to control and listen to your winamp from home for example (ml_www) whereas the other allows a group of individuals to share/source a common library of media files with little to no configuration (wombatshare). Wombatshare is intended to work across different media players to allow user's to choose what they use to listen to their music ml_www is intended to be used by *any* system that can run an internet browser and has a media player installed which is pretty-damned cool
Old 11th April 2004, 22:13   #194
phatbasturd

Re: version 0.44b

Quote:

Noticed a wierd problem on one of my winamp installs where enqueuing from ml_www would delete the rest of the playlist and immeadiately start playing the selected song. Think it might be due to some other plugin that i have installed on that computer tho :/ oh well, can ppl let me know if they have that problem?
Chris - I think that the new playlist option is a great addition since I use this to stream music @ work, but I am having this problem as well. Keep up the good work!
err...maybe i'm a little slow, but how do you change the colors?

Last edited by phatbasturd; 11th April 2004 at 22:41.
phatbasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 22:48   #195
Veej007

Quote:
Originally posted by javajunky
They solve different problems really
i don't know man, ml_www has some pretty serious media sharing capabilities too. in fact, that's how i've been sharing my library with people, because a) i just found wombatshare recently and b) i didn't realize that the implementation of the manual ip stuff meant that you could reach out beyond your local network

just something to think about as development of both of these superb pluggles continues
Old 11th April 2004, 22:49   #196
Dextro

phatbasturd you edit the colours in the css file, of course you need to know how to do RGB colors in html.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2004, 22:54   #197
javajunky

@veej: They still serve different purposes ml_www is ideal for serving your media up to others but doesn't give any feedback to 'you' as to what else is available. WombatShare does, crucial difference. They both have a place, I believe anyway

Plus I'm only doing mine as a programming task to keep my C++ skills up to scratch, *sigh* job hunting as ever
Old 12th April 2004, 01:34   #198
chris_d_smith

@Veej007

Quote:
maybe i'm missing something here, but is there any way to listen to the playlist in remote control mode? that is, instead of streaming the files from my remote computer, i'd like to let the winamp on my home computer start running and then just tune into that from a browser. see the difference?
hmm, not sure i really understand what you're getting at here... do you mean more like a shoutcast stream? ppl were trying that a bit earlier in the thread (here)

Quote:
also, there ought to be links for enqueue/play/etc "all search results.."
yep, sounds like a good idea... i'll add that next ver.

Quote:
or even better, check boxes next to each search result item and then controls for enqueue/play all selected items (and of course, a select/deselect all).
hmm, a bit harder but we'll see how we go

I'll add some search fields for genre and comments too... Might have to make the list of fields to display configurable soon =/
Old 12th April 2004, 01:47   #199
chris_d_smith

@Kickboy12

Quote:
- Playlist Management in the Remote Control section should give a list of all the playlists currently in the ML. Or give a option in the prefs for this feature.
Yep, will give this a go soon... not sure re difficulty...

Quote:
- In Remote Control, the playlist view should be broken up into dynamic pages in my opinion. When I'm viewing my complete playlist, It takes far to long to load 1889 songs.
hmmm, again could be tricky but will have a go sometime...

Quote:
I've also found another bug (Or just incomplete feature?). When unchecking Use Images, the Playlist in Remote Control screws up. (See Image)
Umm, this is not really either... it's more an issue with the default skin. To get the playlist/media view looking good, i sacrificed the display of the text... If you really want to display the text then you need to change the widths of the relevant cells in the stylesheet (warning: leaves minimal room for song titles)

I might have a play with trying to get it to work well in both cases but cant really promise anything... If anyone finds a fix sooner, feel free to send me a description and i'll update the skin for everyone.

having said that, there are definitely options in the preferences which dont work well with the default skin. they're there more for ppl writing their own skins.
Old 12th April 2004, 01:53   #200
chris_d_smith

@phatbasturd

can you email me a list of the plugins you have installed?

I think my problem is due to having MEXP installed (btw: best plugin ever... will have to see about making ml_www work with it's database sometime next millenium )
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion