Old 12th April 2004, 05:06   #201
Veej007

i have been having the problem you described with enqueue. i think it started when i installed mexp (prompted by your mention of it, i'd been meaning to check it out for a while). removing mexp and doing a full reinstall of both winamp and ml_www didn't fix the problem. please let me know if you figure out a solution.

also, how riaa safe are these file sharing plugins?
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 06:10   #202
chris_d_smith

Quote:
how riaa safe are these file sharing plugins?
IMHO:

theoretically: not at all

in practice:
they're probably reasonably safe (for the moment), particularly if you use usernames/passwords.

The reason i say this is that ppl out to get you will need to find out your computer host name/ip from somewhere and, since ml_www is most suited for using between friends/ppl you can send your ip to directly, it's unlikely that they'll find out about it without using some kinda bot which tries ip addresses and looks for ml_www.

That said, i would imagine that, if ml_www becomes popluar, looking for ml_www could become standard practice when they gather ip addresses from p2p programs.

It's probly also not a good idea to go offering your ip/ml_www address on forums and stuff like that either (esp in newsgroups like alt.music.dodgy_mp3_sharers or whatever hehe)

+ i imagine that using all the file sharing tricks would increase the security too (eg: peerguardian, firewalls etc...)

It's worth mentioning that I have no idea how secure the underlying ml_www web server code is... I don't profess to be any kinda web security expert and, even if i was, i haven't really touched any of the server code at all (just the code to generate pages)

DISCLAIMER: these are just my views, i dont support/endorse distributing illegal music, etc blah blah...

*edit: We're probly getting pretty close to breaching a few of the forum rules with this topic... probly best to just move on...

Last edited by chris_d_smith; 12th April 2004 at 06:30.
chris_d_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 08:13   #203
chris_d_smith

wierd enqueue behaviour

ah ha!!!

found out what causes the wierd enqueue behaviour:

If you have the option "On doubleclick or enter in the library" set to "Enqueue the selected item(s)" rather than "Play the selected items(s)" then ml_www will clear the playlist and begin playing the selected song when you use the include links in your browser.

Dunno why this is the case, will ask on the developers forum.

For now, the workaround is not to use that option =/

At least it wasn't my beloved MEXP would not have been able to live without
Old 12th April 2004, 08:22   #204
chris_d_smith

ah, think i worked out why the wierd behaviour is occuring... for some reason, the ml_www uses a wierd method to enqueue the requested file. It asks the medialibrary to send the command to winamp rather than doing it itself...

should be able to fix it up for next version now that i know what's going on...
Old 12th April 2004, 09:51   #205
javajunky

They're perfectly safe because obviously you're only sharing media that can be legally shared, right? If you're not well that's your problem and you could find yourself liable to prosecution.
javajunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 13:32   #206
siebe83
Forum King

encoding

what about encoding for this plug-in? I noticed you implemented charset=UTF-8 in your code. In my case this leads to Bj?rk instead of Björk. Is this a know problem?
I'm not an expert in encoding stuff, but maybe charset=ISO-8859-1 would be better?

Great plugin, btw!
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 13:36   #207
siebe83
Forum King

although i think that these errors are generated at a higher level...

(ie Bj?rk instead of Björk, etc...)
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 00:18   #208
chris_d_smith

hmm yer, i get that too... not sure quite why it's happening... looks like the character code is translated correctly (i think...) but doesnt get displayed... tried the other encoding scheme but that didn't help

Will mess around with it some more and see what can be done...
Old 15th April 2004, 18:48   #209
old and quite mad
Major Dude

First, major, MAJOR props to the writers and developers of this plugin.

I have a question. If I implement Authentication, is a single user ID password sufficent for all users, or does everyone need a seperate account?

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 19:21   #210
theknub
Major Dude

a problem i have been experiencing, when in remote mode on IE and in the left pane, the numbers will eventually reach triple digits when you have over 100 songs loaded. well, the numbers run into the song title and make it just very weird looking. see attached.

[edit]
i have to apologize for the low picture quality, i forgot how much big a screen shot was size wise. to see it better, just zoom in.
[/edit]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left pane error rc.jpg (94.1 KB, 321 views)

When you take a hand and chop the fingers off... what do u get?

That would be the knub.

Last edited by theknub; 15th April 2004 at 22:09.
theknub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 21:38   #211
wakingrufus

has this been mentioned?
how about a button to download a whole album next to the button to stream a whole album? thats would be a nice feature
wakingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 22:08   #212
theknub
Major Dude

it has been mentioned...i think chris explained earlier why there is problems implementing that

That would be the knub.
Old 16th April 2004, 01:05   #213
chris_d_smith

Quote:
the numbers run into the song title and make it just very weird looking.
yer, thought i should have made that column a bit wider... it's really just a css problem so it's pretty easy to fix... i'll post a new stylesheet in a tic.
Old 16th April 2004, 01:15   #214
chris_d_smith

try this
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_www_stylesheet.zip (1.5 KB, 273 views)
Old 16th April 2004, 01:53   #215
theknub
Major Dude

fantastic.... thanks chris

That would be the knub.
Old 16th April 2004, 01:56   #216
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
Quote:
Originally posted by old and quite mad
I have a question. If I implement Authentication, is a single user ID password sufficent for all users, or does everyone need a seperate account?
You really only need one. But I suggest you create two, one that allows users to just download/stream, and a Admin account for your use.
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 07:31   #217
old and quite mad
Major Dude

Thank you for the answer!

The search for the ultimate signature continues apace. I have journeyed from the peaks of Nepal to the depths of oceanic trenches. I have crossed deserts, jungles, swamps, savannas, steppes and frozen wastelands. I have consulted with seers, swamis, sages, scholars and savants. The peregrination proceeds purposefully.
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 09:26   #218
unfletch

new version/theme

I've taken the 0.44b source and modified it's output. Frankly, the CSS was super redundant and only slowing things down. In the end I rewrote the CSS entirely, and ended up adding leading spaces to the HTML. Obviously leading space added some size, but ultimately the new output HTML is almost 30% lighter. (For web people: it validates as XHTML 1.0 Strict, but I left the doctype as Transitional because of img-in-td vertical alignment quirks.)

The new HTML breaks chris_d_smith's stylesheet, so I went ahead and rewrote it to work with the new CSS structure. (Any custom CSS anyone may have written for themselves will also be broken.) I've also included a second theme, with its color scheme stolen from winamp.com. Here's a screenshot of both the original theme (in shiny new CSS) and my new theme in action: http://flet.ch/ml_www.png.

So. Attached is a zip file (sorry, no installer) that includes the plugin dll (version 0.44b-fletch), its source code, and both themes. Unzip to your winamp/plugins/ dir and you should be good to go.

The old blue theme is still the default. If you want to use my theme simply copy all the files in the "new theme" dir into the ml_www dir.

[edit]: Two important points I just wanted to make sure were clear: 1) The only parts of the source I touched were the parts that build HTML, and the version number. There are no new features in my version. 2) My modifications have, by no means, made this thing fast with large lists. But, they have helped.

--fletch
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_www.zip (79.8 KB, 299 views)
unfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 10:11   #219
skinme!
Forum King

I think the artist/album stream/download page would be clearer if the first row (artist) seemed to encapsulate everything else:

code:
Artist: [ARTISTNAME] {STRM}
Random Track 1 [01.03] {STRM} {DL}
Random Track 3 [01.23] {STRM} {DL}
[FIRSTALBUMNAME] [10.32] {STRM}
|-> Track1 [01.03] {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track2 [01.32] {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track3 [01.59] {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track4 [02.53] {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track5 [03.05] {STRM} {DL}
[SECONDALBUMNAME] etc. {STRM}
|-> Track1 {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track2 {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track3 {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track4 {STRM} {DL}
|-> Track5 {STRM} {DL}

(Notice the album show their total play time -- Js?). Keep the striped background colors. I just think the current format is a bit confusing, separating out tracks by the same artist so much. This format is somewhat like Abander TagControl 2 (click for screenshot).

I looked at the HTMLgen code. I guess it's in C. I know PHP so I could understand it somewhat but not enough for it not to take me several weeks to get right!

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 12:56   #220
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
fletch, that looks really slick. do you plan to update it alongsite chris' versions when he puts out new updates?
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 18:18   #221
unfletch

Quote:
Originally posted by inthegray
fletch, that looks really slick. do you plan to update it alongsite chris' versions when he puts out new updates?
I don't know that he'd be opposed to merging my html changes into his latest code. Chris, if you want to discuss it, or send me your current dev source so I can merge my changes, I'm up for it.

If for some reason he doesn't want my changes in his version, then I'd still probably keep updating it myself. I use my version daily to stream my music to the office. Whether I update his next version(s) depends on whether I really want to use any new features he adds. =)

--fletch
Old 16th April 2004, 19:53   #222
D&B
Banned

Unfletch, the changes look awesome! I cant wait to get home and install them. I really like the look of your new theme.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2004, 06:58   #223
chris_d_smith

Quote:
merging my html changes into his latest code
Yep, this sounds like a good idea...

As you probly noticed, the code is a spaghetti nightmare at the mo just from adding lots of features without spending too much time on keeping everythign neat. My current development version is am attempt at cleaning it all up so it's a bit all over the place at the moment

It'll probly take me another couple of days to put it all back together and get it working again so maybe we should wait till after then?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 17th April 2004, 14:30   #224
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

christophe has set up a sourceforge project to better aid multiple developers of this plugin (as he already has with the ipod plugin). However, due to his busy schedule, has has yet to check in any code.

I suggest that you PM him and set the ball running over there at sourceforge.

We all want to see this plugin be as successful as the ipod one

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2004, 23:57   #225
unfletch

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_d_smith
It'll probly take me another couple of days to put it all back together and get it working again so maybe we should wait till after then?
Ok, whenever it's ready.

--fletch
Old 20th April 2004, 22:12   #226
elgatodesigns

commctrl.h?

Yo...

I'm trying to compile the source for this w/ mingw32 and it appears that ListView_GetSelectionMark is undefined in the version of commctrl.h that comes with mingw.

Could you send me a copy of the commctrl.h that you used?

Thanks,
Nick
elgatodesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 09:52   #227
chris_d_smith

Hey Guys,

Updated my webpresence a bit over the last two days, so you can now get my latest version of the plugin from here and unfletch's latest version (packaged up in an installer) here.

I hope the installer works for unfletch's version, i cant test it here without killing my development environment =/.

Let me know any problems and i'll try and fix it asap.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 21st April 2004, 17:13   #228
theknub
Major Dude

fantastic, thanks chris

does your new version have some of the code changes fletch made or are they both still completely seperate?

That would be the knub.

Last edited by theknub; 21st April 2004 at 18:10.
Old 21st April 2004, 19:41   #229
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
can I shutdown winamp over the remote control management?

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 23:20   #230
chris_d_smith

@theknub

No changes in the versions on my site, just packaged up and put somewhere a little more permanent (the old location could disappear at any time since i'm no longer using that ISP)

I'm still working on cleaning up the code for the next version - if it looks like it's gonna take another week after today, i might stop working on that, add some new features and then release that to keep everyone going

@VOODOOpower

Not at the moment but it's probably a pretty easy feature to add.
Old 21st April 2004, 23:28   #231
chris_d_smith

btw, what's everybody's oppinion of the usefullness of leaving the old, ultra complete CSS method?

It seemed like the easiest way to keep all skinners happy but i'm happy to ditch it and go with unfletch's (or something similar) method - i was thinking more along the lines of using CSS2 containment selectors rather than id's just cos it'll let you do a bit more inheritance.

Anyway, i guess the options are:

1 have both the old and the new style with a preference to toggle

2 have only the new style (which may be restrictive to novice skinners)
Old 21st April 2004, 23:30   #232
theknub
Major Dude

i'm good either way. i like what you have already put together. maybe it was just me, but unfletch's seemed to take longer to load on my huge playlist. but it might have just been a placebo.

That would be the knub.
Old 22nd April 2004, 10:58   #233
chris_d_smith

sourceforge project started

Yay, got the sourceforge project details off Christophe today so i've uploaded everything to there (ehhhh... takes a fair while )

I'll start checking in source code later... (that'll take even longer )

The project is here

unfletch's version is now here

and my version is now here

(hopefully this will be the last relocation )
Old 22nd April 2004, 16:08   #234
skinme!
Forum King

*loving the RSS feed for releases available from Sourceforge*

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2004, 18:21   #235
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
I would like to have an option in the plugin prefs to add a filter to show not the whole media files in the ML, for example that users can only see media files in a specific folder or only files with a special name or so.

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2004, 00:20   #236
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
Nice work unfletch. I like my stuff XHTML Transitional/Strict. The Validator only gives 1 error in Transitional, and 8 or so in Strict. Not too bad. Might want to fix that one error, though. It's quite annoying.

I'll see if I can fix it myself later. In case you don't know the error, here it is:

code:

Line 101, column 18: reference to non-existent ID "ss_query"

<label for='ss_query'>Search for anything containing:</label>

Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2004, 02:23   #237
guycouch

ml_www + Jinzora

I am working on a project called Jinzora (www.jinzora.org) with a few other developers, headed by a guy named Ross. It is a really solid interface for your mp3 collection.

Right now, it only gets the track information from the filesystem itself. We are hoping to implement the ability to use the Winamp Media Library as another way of getting track information. We were wondering if any of the developers of ml_www would be interested in doing some work on/with Jinzora. The ml_www backend and the jinzora frontend would make a pretty solid project.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think..
guycouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2004, 04:38   #238
unfletch

For some reason I stopped getting my thread-has-been-updated emails for this thread. I'm still here.
Quote:
Originally posted by chris_d_smith
i was thinking more along the lines of using CSS2 containment selectors rather than id's just cos it'll let you do a bit more inheritance.
My $0.02:

1) I'd stay away from any CSS2 in a default style sheet simply because of IE. IE's market share is still huge, and it doesn't support much CSS2 at all (it lacks support for all of the new selectors, for example).

2) As long as the HTML is meaningful, it can be light weight and still very customizable.

BTW, to clarify my position, I only modified a copy to lighten it up a bit, and only posted my modified version because I thought someone else might have found it useful. I don't intend to keep making source changes, but I'll likely churn out some more CSS themes once HTML changes settle down. I think you're doing a great job with the plugin.
Old 25th April 2004, 04:43   #239
unfletch

Quote:
Originally posted by Kickboy12
Nice work unfletch. I like my stuff XHTML Transitional/Strict. The Validator only gives 1 error in Transitional
Thanks. I validated it, but I guess I made a change afterward to cause that one error. Oh well, consider it a bug.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kickboy12
and 8 or so in Strict.
That's because it's not Strict, hence the Transitional doctype. =)
Old 25th April 2004, 13:30   #240
chris_d_smith

@unfletch

I finally had a chance to install your update the other day, is much faster for me, looks like it's definitely a good idea to ditch a lot of that css.

Quote:
1) I'd stay away from any CSS2 in a default style sheet simply because of IE. IE's market share is still huge, and it doesn't support much CSS2 at all (it lacks support for all of the new selectors, for example).
Ah ok, i haven't had that much experience trying to write cross browser stuff but I've certainly run into enough IE bugs just in the css for ml_www to be more than happy to go with something that makes it easier

Quote:
2) As long as the HTML is meaningful, it can be light weight and still very customizable.
Yep, would be also good from a development point of view as it means less time updating the template...

btw, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you re the source updates I think i got overly excited with the pulling things apart it's taking longer than i thought to put it back together

I'm gonna start checking stuff into CVS even tho it doesnt work/compile at the moment. At least you guys can see where i'm going and it makes life easier for me.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion