mysongchillin

locks up

i installed 0.5.3.6 again
it locks winamp up.

winamp 5.08e
Old 21st September 2005, 01:03   #122
DrO

in_zip v0.5.3.7 alpha
  • Fixed a next song play lockup bug when the root archive entry is played (this bug could force Winamp into an endless loop)
get v0.5.3.7

Finally got the lockup issue as i had been testing with a single archive playlist.. as soon as i added a zip into my normal playlist i got the lock up (was related to the 3rd line of the 0.5.3.6 changelog). Isn't alpha/beta testing fun..

-daz
Old 21st September 2005, 04:29   #123
mysongchillin

Luv it

Seriously I luv being a part of this ,....to give you info on what is going on with my end,.....then "BOOM" you have a fix
WOW
:-))
let me go try this new version,...i will post input after i try it.
Old 21st September 2005, 04:35   #124
mysongchillin

guess what

Well that new version works for my zip files ( cdg mp3).
and it goes down the list of zip files i load or drop in.

GREAT JOB.

Can't wait to see what may be next :-))
Old 21st September 2005, 09:27   #125
DrO

cool, it's good that fix is working fine then (especially since it was a nasty bug)

-daz
Old 24th September 2005, 02:30   #126
DrO

Multi-part extraction

i've been messing around with a few ideas but i've come to the following basis of an ini file which will control how such files are handled. the file name is ini_zip_rules.ini and is stored wherever the winamp.ini file is stored.

[in_zip]
ext0=mp3
rule0=%file%.cdg
ext1=miniusf,usf
rule1=*.usflib

extX is the extension of the file to be worked on and ruleX is the related file(s) that need to be extracted at the same time. so from the example with an mp3 file it would extract the cdg file (assuming it exists) with the same filename (represented by the %file% segment. as well, by inserting a comma between entries for a extX line, it's possible to group multiple extensions to an extraction rule.

as things stand with the implementation of this, the ini reader is now done, it's the modifications to the common extraction function which needs to be done. once done it initially will be that manual alteration of the ini file will need to be done with a preferences page being implemented when i get around to doing that (since aspects of the ui need to be tweaked but i'd rather do the preferences in one go but still have functionality available hence the manual modification of the ini file). one or two aspects of the ini method may change such as the file and section names before a working build is released but the core way i've described above is how it will remain and if no ini file exists then we end up with the same functionality of in_zip as was the case before cdg auto-extraction was hard-coded into the plugin (since i was never keen on such a hard-coded feature to begin with but it'll be a default entry on a clean install of the ini file though and any others that people suggest will be beneficial to a larger number of people)

-daz
Old 24th September 2005, 04:47   #127
mysongchillin

Ok version 0.5.3.7 does work with zip files ( mp3 cdg)
but this is what i have found out
to have it auto open the zip files one after another ( when one is done the next zip will play )

this is what I have to do
put at least 2 or 3 regular mp3 songs in first
let it play one song ,....then it auto plays song two ..etc
then after that I can drop in a zip file
then it will auto play the zip file(s)
Old 24th September 2005, 09:44   #128
Mouser X

In regards to playing zip files consecutively, I believe I encountered the same problem. I didn't consider it a big deal at the time (It's not what I was looking for), but I believe the same happened for me. When I loaded a RAR (containing GYMs, I think) and it played all the way through that set, it was followed by another RAR set (also GYMs, if memory serves me). However, the second set didn't load properly, and therefore didn't playback. I had to double click the song to get it to play.

That's the way I remember it, but since I wasn't looking for it at the time (and didn't consider a big deal, as such) I might be missing some details. For one, I can't remember for sure if the GYMs were in_ym compressed or not. If they weren't, then the files in the RARs would have been rather large, and would have taken longer to extract. Basically, I had a similar experience, but it might not actually be related. I'd try it out again, but I'm having memory shortages. For some reason, Winamp crashes frequently when I start getting close to my memory limit (close being within 100-200mb of 994 (my total memory), or something in that area)(Oh, and Winamp takes a lot of memory).

Anyway, I just figured it had to do with the loading of the archive. Perhaps there's more? Also, glad to hear about the ideas in place to make in_zip work with multi-part files. As stated previously, that is a feature a await most excitedly. Thank you for your great work and effort! It is impressive to see how much you actually put into this community. All your work is greatly appreciated (there's plugins of yours that I really take for granted, such as the "next on stop." That really should have been included with Winamp...). Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work. Mouser X over and out.
Old 24th September 2005, 16:54   #129
DrO

i'll have to look into the continuity issue (hopefully when i get home from work) but i've also had a few thoughts on some other issues with the end/start of the next track playing that's been reported and i've experienced (i think the emulation code i'm using is incorrectly re-setting itself on track end when it shouldn't be but i'll see later possibly )

mouser: yeah, i think once i've got that multi-part code in place things will be pretty sweet with the plugin at least as core functionality goes with it

-daz
Old 25th September 2005, 02:21   #130
DrO

quick update...

the extraction rules are now implemented so you can do *.extension, *.*. file.*, file.extension (like folder.jpg) and %file%.extension (basically for mp3+cdg style handling)

however i've a few issues with the playback of such multi-part files which all seem to fail when the current extracted track ends which seems to match with most of the reported issues left with it now so at least i can consistantly re-produce the issue now (and hopefully can fix it!) so this issue is what's holding back a newer build now of the plugin, so i'll try to get a resolution to the issue asap!

-daz
Old 25th September 2005, 03:59   #131
Mouser X

I was wondering something about the multi-part file extraction. I know the PSF format (which USF is part of) supports haveing the *.xSFLIB file in another directory other than where the *.MINIxSF files are. Ex: inside the *.minixsf files is a tag that reads something like "_lib=game.xsflib" However, that tag can also read "_lib=..\game.xsflib" or even "_lib=\directory\game.xsflib" (I don't know how else to word my question, sorry). I can't think of many (if any) sets that do that, but I know the format supports it. I was wondering if, when in_zip extracts the files, if it will keep the directory structure. In this case, since the *.miniXsf is looking for the *.Xsflib file inside "\directory" would it be able to find it?

As I said, this "feature" isn't important right now. After all, I can't even think of any sets that do that (but I can think of some that should). So, if it can't be done that way right now, it's not a big deal. I probably won't run into that situation real soon. I was just curious to know if it would, or would not work. Thanks in advance for your answer, and especially thanks for the AWESOME plugin. Mouser X over and out.
Old 25th September 2005, 11:28   #132
DrO

in_zip v0.5.5.0 alpha
  • Internal cleanup to make the integration/usage of the archive reader easier (e.g. the auto mp3+cdg extraction was limited to zip file only, this change now means a 7z or rar file will work as well)
  • Implemented rules file support (in_zip_rules.ini stored where winamp.ini is to be found) -> %file%.ext, *.ext, *.* and file.* are supported masks for the rule based extraction
  • Fixed a nasty bug with the zip extraction where if the file to extract could not be found it would attempt to extract the last file in the zip when it shouldn't have
  • Fixed the input plugin emualtion layer to correctly handle the setting of the initial volume on playback with plugins that don't call the SetVolume(..) function of the related output plugin being used
  • Fixed the track advance issue by removing an incorrect check in the Stop(..) function which was testing the IsPlaying(..) when it wasn't needed
  • Implemented playback restore for Winamp 5.11+ (due to changes with the input plugin load order) - pre 5.11 support will be implemented for 0.5.6.x
  • Few other things i've forgotten to note
get v0.5.5.0

i'm just about to run out the door to work so i can't make a full changelog up for the moment but hopefully what's there will be enough to get people testing. depending on things i may make a smaller 0.5.5.x update tonight (since i want to get archive restored playback working on all winamp versions!)

Mouser: with the _lib tag, if it's easy to scan the files to find that tag then it would be possible to do something like that (though the current extraction code is coded to strip out folders so that it's easier to manage the extraction and clean up of the temp files but i will have to expand the code to handle folders being created as needed for another project which i want to use the archive core from this with). if it's not really something in use though then it may be best to deal with the issue if it arises

-daz
Old 25th September 2005, 22:17   #133
mysongchillin

v0.5.5.0

v0.5.5.0, extracts the zip ,..but only plays the mp3 file
the cdg graphics do not appear with this version

( zipped mp3, cdg files)
Old 25th September 2005, 22:53   #134
DrO

can you confirm what's in the in_zip_rules.ini (should be in the same location as where winamp.ini is located).

-daz
Old 25th September 2005, 23:31   #135
Mouser X

Yeah!!! It's working great so far! I've been able to load GSFs, USFs, and PSFs just fine. I was wondering something though. When I load something from an archive (I'm using RARs right now), would it be possible to have the playlist display the internal tag info properly? Currently, it displays the filenames when in_zip adds the files to the list. This is understandable, of course. What I was thinking is, depending on the size of the archive (or extracted size, if you can get that from the archive), you could have it extract the whole thing temporarily. That way, it could display the info correctly, and it could help decrease load times (not that they're bad (because it's pretty good so far), but it could possibly be better). This option would probably be configurable by the end user. So, any archives smaller than "X" are extracted fully. Or, data from archives is extracted up to "X" amount. Then, when the pre-extracted amount is reached, it extracts more, and does this until the entire file has been run through.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Thanks again, it's great! Mouser X over and out.
Old 26th September 2005, 01:20   #136
DrO

mysongchillin: confirmed the issue, it seems to be something i missed in testing with older versions of the winamp.exe (since i'm normally running with a development build of winamp.exe). the issue seems to be a bit hit and miss in that it reads the information but then doesn't process it all correctly (which is a bit strange)

Mouser: i see you posted about it over at hcs
with the titles issue, i was comtemplating seeing if it's possible to do it as a background process or to create some form of internal cache that would then populate the title once read. is something i need to look into to see how it could be done or if there's a better way to do it

-------------------------------

and on a general note, i've finally managed at least on my box to get archives to have their playback restored though i need to do some more work on the code since it's not 100% stable at the moment (i keep getting the odd random glitches with older winamp.exes). the next build is likely to be 0.5.6.x

-daz
Old 26th September 2005, 01:36   #137
evolution76

Send a message via Yahoo to evolution76
The plugin is working damn good.

DrO you are God of Winamp plugins.
Old 26th September 2005, 01:58   #138
mysongchillin

in_zip rules

my in_zip rules.ini states this

[in_zip_rules]
ext0=mp3
rule0=%file%.cdg
ext1=miniusf,usf
rule1=*.usflib

This is with the newest version installed
Old 26th September 2005, 13:36   #139
DrO

that rules file is fine so that's something. from what i can tell from playing with the ini reader late last night (was up until 2am trying to fix it :/ ) and the processing once the entries have been read in seems to fail on every other call for me when i run it with a 5.094 version of winamp.exe (so something isn't quite right). i'm going to re-write that code tonight which should fix the issue i hope along with a few others that have appeared in my trying to make the plugin support playback restore on older winamp installs (loads of fun, heh)

evolution76: not as good as i would like to do though, hehe

Changelog for v0.5.5.0 is now up (at last) though i need to now put up some proper documentation on how to use in_zip_rules.ini for those wanting to do some manual rules creation (and i'm interested in adding some more in as part of the default setup so if you want to post the actions needed... )

-daz
Old 26th September 2005, 15:31   #140
hcs

Send a message via ICQ to hcs Send a message via AIM to hcs
Glad to see it's working now. I do see the problem with track ends not working out, I look forward to 0.5.6.
Also I tested it on 2.95 and it doesn't work (in case you were wondering...) Running in 5.08 now.

PSF tags are easy to read, Neill Corlett's public domain PSFPoint source contains everything you'd need. Or if you want to do it yourself:
read two fields in the header to get the size of the data (and thus the offset of the tag), then read the rest of the file (after the 5 byte "[TAG]" marker). Tags are seperated by the 0x0a character and are of the form "name=value". The _lib tags are _lib, _lib2, etc., though I don't know of any set that uses over _lib (not that I know everything).

It probably isn't worth bothering with, though, if you just have a rule for each format. The INI system seems to work just fine. I've never seen the directory structure thing Mouser mentions.
Old 28th September 2005, 01:48   #141
DrO

in_zip v0.5.6.0 alpha
  • Enabled playback restore handling on Winamp 5.1 and below (since future Winamp versions have changed the input plugin api just enough to make it a lot easier to support such a mode)
  • Re-worked the rules support so that it should work 100% now
  • Fixed the plugin to now not crash on 2.x installs since they don't provide IPC_GET_EXTLIST - legacy support of this may be added...
  • Few minor changes to the input plugin emulation layer which should make it behave a bit better
  • Anything else i forgot to note
get v0.5.6.0

hcs: thanks for pointing out the 2.x support issues (is too late to add in a work around now (is almost 2am as i post this) but i'll look into a quick and dirty work around tomorrow. hopefully the change to the emulation layer will fix the next track issue since it was firing multiple play events before which could have made things lock up. and yes, the directory structure thing is something best dealt with only if it happened (which i hope doesn't heh)

-daz
Old 28th September 2005, 13:58   #142
DrO

in_zip_rules.ini documentation

Attached is v1.0 of the documentation of the in_zip_rules.ini file and is posted here until i finalise the format and information in the file where it'll then be shipped as (an optional) part of the installer for easy reference as required. enjoy and remember if there are any rules that should be included as default then let me know

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: txt the in_zip plugin rules file.txt (2.9 KB, 481 views)
Old 29th September 2005, 02:02   #143
DrO

in_zip v0.5.6.3 alpha
  • Added in an implementation of IPC_GET_EXTLIST for 2.x versions of Winamp (which isn't natively supported)
  • Fixed Winamp 2.x support (not too sure how well this works since the stop(..) function was never called for me...)
  • Fixed a memory leak when querying one of the Winamp api's when dealing with viewing/extraction of the archive(s)
  • Added in support for 'exts=1' to be added to the plugin's settings section (in_zip block) in Winamp.ini which will add zip, rar and 7z to the file types list (which allows for Winamp to detect these files when using the add file(s), add folder, etc features)
get v0.5.6.3

i have a feeling if i can fix the issues i've been getting with 2.x i'll be able to resolve the track advance issues others have been reporting. there's some more things i need to do in the next few builds but i think i'm going to habr a break from this for a few days now (since other things need loving ) though i could just be coding this for fun (noting by the lack of response of late... :shrugs: )

-daz
Old 29th September 2005, 03:51   #144
Mouser X

Well, you said that no one had commented on the plugin. I think it's great! Only once have I had any problems with it, whatsoever. And that one time, I'm pretty sure it was the "interpreting the in_zip_rules.ini" error, which should be fixed now (as I recall). I haven't had a chance to check out any of the builds since 0.5.5.0 because my memory has been to low, but from what I have seen, it did exactly what I wanted it to, every time (except that one that I already mentioned. It was Winamp 5.093). Even when I loaded a 512mb RAR into Winamp, and played files that, when extracted, are about 10-20mb, it still ran just fine.

I did have one thing to ask though. I'm not sure how the cleanup to in_zip works, but from what it looked like, it extracts the files into Windows's temp directory. I think it was yesturday that I cleaned out my temp dir. manuelly (for some reason, Windows never gets it all), and I found some folders that were left over from in_zip. Winamp probably crashed while playing from inside a RAR, so in_zip never had the chance to clean it out (Winamp doesn't fare well when I'm running low on memory), at least that's what I speculate.

Other than that, it's been pretty good! Thanks again! Mouser X over and out.
Old 29th September 2005, 13:28   #145
DrO

the way the extraction has been designed to work for the last few builds is to store the folder being created as the temp folder in the plugin's section in winamp.ini. then when playback ends or is aborted due to some form of error, the code will then attempt to remove the folder there and then. if it can't do it due to certain files being kept in use (such as happens for me with the cdg plugin) then that folder is kept in the list. when winamp is closed it will attempt to scan through that list and remove the files and temp folders that it's recorded. if that part can't remove the files then when winamp is started it will go through that list and attempt to remove those folders again (watching the temp folder when that happens always amuses me).

for the last few builds when the plugin has been in a final version that i've released then it works all the time (even when i force crash it or something else makes winamp crash out) so there's a fair chance that those folders and files are left over from earlier test versions of the plugin. really i should have mentioned this earlier in the plugins history but some situations i forgot would occur which have been fixed as such

if you remember back you said about the zip:// entries not having the number on the end but the filename in the archive instead, well that's on the todo list for the next version (i was hoping to get it done for the build i've just done but sleep and other things got in the way, heh). i think the other thing was to look at extracting the files in the order that they appear with any associated playlists in the archive, that is being looked into now as well so i may depending on how things go (with some other things) start towards the 0.6.x series of the plugin in the next few weeks

-daz
Old 29th September 2005, 20:30   #146
Mouser X

Regardless of being short on memory, I started up Winamp (I like music, k?), after installing the newest 64th Note, and in_zip. Oddly enough, none of the files (all from archives) would load. If I added a new archived file, it said 0 avialable files. I pushed ALT+3, and no files showed up in the window, at all. That implied that something was amiss, since there were definatly files present in the archive (and this happened for both RAR and ZIP files). So, I reverted to 0.5.6.0, and RARs work, but ZIPs do not. Again, I found that a little odd...

As far as I can recollect, I didn't change anything in Winamp, except installing the newest in_zip and the newest in_usf (beta 16). I just barely reverted to in_usf beta 13 and tried to see if 0.5.6.0 would read ZIP files, and it still doesn't. If it's something on my end, I'm going to need a little help figuring out what.

As for adding in the filename feature, that's great! I look forward to it. Thanks again. Mouser X over and out.
Old 29th September 2005, 20:34   #147
DrO

crap, just confirmed that issue here as well (thought i'd done some public winamp version testing before i released...)

lemme check what's going on and i should have a new build out asap (*starts the clock*)

-daz
Old 29th September 2005, 20:46   #148
DrO

in_zip v0.5.6.4 alpha
  • Fixed the internal winamp version detection to not break the plugin (a real dumb one line bug)
get v0.5.6.4

The changelog sums it up, hope this one works.. and how's that for a bug fix

-daz
Old 29th September 2005, 21:02   #149
fisher819

Send a message via Yahoo to fisher819
now that i have some free time, i can test this new version, since i still haven't tried some of the older ones.

help us count :Click here
Old 29th September 2005, 21:04   #150
DrO

fisher: you'll probably want to do the adding 'exts=1' into the plugin's section in winamp.ini from what i remember you asking a while back (not all of your requests have been done tho...)

-daz
Old 29th September 2005, 21:14   #151
Mouser X

Well, it works now. Part of my problem before was one of my files was corrupt (d'oh!). Perhaps, in the configuration, when it comes, you should have a selection that will popup a message notifying the user when they try to load a corrupt file. Anyway, WOW that was fast! Thanks for the excellent service. Mouser X over and out.
Old 29th September 2005, 21:18   #152
DrO

i have to agree, more information on error would be a useful option to have and is now on the (ever growing) todo list, heh.

it could have been a quicker fix if there hadn't been something on tv that i got destracted by

-daz
Old 1st October 2005, 19:22   #153
mysongchillin

been buzy

wow u have been buzy,...i have to catch up....i am goinf to try the newest version right now
Old 1st October 2005, 19:45   #154
mysongchillin

the newest version works,...but i still have to drop a few regular mp3 files in prior to the zips,...to have it auto open each zip file

It is no problem for me to do that ,..just informing you

I love this plug in

It works excellent with wwwinamp plug in

I use networked compuetes to play songs from my main pc with all the music....it is a great way to have another pc pick the files for the main pc to play

I can have a party or a gig ,...and let other people pick what the want to hear or sing....with out me staying at the pc and dropping the songs in

Your in_zip is perfect for what am am doing

I just wish wwwinamp could have next performer screen to let the singers see a screen for about 20 seconds that shows something like
MYSONGCHILLIN ( the singers name) IS UP NEXT SINGING "filename"
Old 1st October 2005, 20:07   #155
mysongchillin

pacemaker with in_zip

i tried to install pacemaker plug in but with in_zip installed it will not install

anyone else have that problem?

It installed on my other pc ....without in_zip installed and it works on that pc.
I know this is the forum for in_zip
But i want all of these features to work together

I have a huge gig 22 Oct, and people from all over are going out from a karaoke irc channel to party here,.....and i am trying to get all this to work so it is very easy to have people pick their songs really easy and work smoothly

Now I will still be the dj ,...but if i can input the singers in that manner it would be perfect

Last edited by mysongchillin; 1st October 2005 at 20:30.
Old 3rd October 2005, 00:58   #156
mysongchillin

in_zip and pacemaker

i cannot get pacemaker to show up at all in any version of winamp 5 ....tho it is in the plugins dir.....it does not show up in the plugins.....

so I installed winamp 2.8 and installed pacemaker no problem ,..it works....then i tried every version of in_zip......and in_zip states zero files when i drop it in. or add it in some form.

If i remove pacemaker....then i can get in_zip to work...

In_zip does also work in winamp 5.1.......but i cannot install pacemaker

I hope i explained that well.

Do you think they are conflicting?

Pacemaker is a karaoke pitch change add on that is well needed alot for karaoke DJ's
Old 3rd October 2005, 13:21   #157
DrO

i'm not too sure what's going on since i've just installed both on my machine at work (xp system using Winamp 5.1) and from what i can see the install goes without a problem. the only i could think of is maybe there's something with the emulation layer in_zip creates around the other input plugins..

i can't see if output works correctly or not since i don't have output on it but i'll try to look into this tonight after work. i'll also look into the auto-expand/track advance issue again to see if there was something i was missing in my test setup

-daz
Old 4th October 2005, 01:32   #158
ZuGzUg

All, FWIW, I have Pacemaker and IN_ZIP working in peace in harmony just fine... am using Pacemaker V2.1 and IN_ZIP 5.6.4.

Dro, just installed 5.6.2, working nicely. One question tho... I noticed it does double entries on the playlist when a ZIP is played.

See pic below...

"Before" depicts what the playlist editor looks like when 3 zips are enqueued, "After" depicts what it looks like after the third song is played (the embedded MP3s in this example have ID3 tags, which is why title info changes).

Note how each song is shown twice, presumably one for the ZIP and the other for the extracted MP3.

We use Winamp in conjunction with a modified version of ml_www, using a modified version of left.html as a public display to customers. The dummy ZIP entries would be considered "confusing", so it would be nice if those were not shown.

Any chance we can get an option to remove the dummy ZIP entry from the PE when the MP3 is extracted and enqueued? Like this:

Or, just make that standard behavior?

I suppose we could modify left.html output to not display the ZIP entries, but the other way seems like a cleaner approach...

Thanks!

-Z
Old 4th October 2005, 02:38   #159
mysongchillin

working

ok ...it was me and my plugins

I must of had too much crap in it

WIN XP PRO
i removed winamp
installed winamp 5.1
installed an old version of pacemaker----works fine
installed cdg ( graphics ) plugin for cdg / mp3--works fine
Installed the newest version of in_zip -----works fine
Installed PLay storebought CDG karaoke disks in winamp--works fine

It was me trying too much i guess.

Can u explain to me ml_www i tried it but i dont get it ,...can users who choose songs input their name

And also I too see that once i drop the zip file in ( or have it requested (from wwwinamp , from a networked pc ) that oce it opens it has the mp3 file listed in the playlist also as you stated.

You all are GREAT .....alot of input ,..and a great programer working with us ...THANK YOU.
Old 4th October 2005, 06:26   #160
hcs

Send a message via ICQ to hcs Send a message via AIM to hcs
Glad to see work is coming along.
I looked at the track switch failure issue, my plugin doesn't ever recieve a stop call or another play call during that freeze between tracks. I look forward to seeing this working, thanks for your work (it is appreciated!)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion