Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 4th March 2005, 17:58   #41
DrO

hmm, not sure why the drag+drop, etc is failing since i'm sure the code will only process the files it's designed for and i'm sure it was working when i released that build for normal associations. i'll check it out when i look at the other 'features'

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2005, 12:43   #42
DrO

Playlist Loader v0.9.5.3 (formerly known as B4S Playlist Loader)
  • Fixed drag+drop handling issues (the code was removing the first added file in all cases and not when it was meant to be)
  • Added in exclusion of adding /.wma to .pls, .m3u and .mts (custom type request) entries just incase they're in the asx style file
get v0.9.5.3

I've got a bit further on with the external enqueue/play feature but it's crashing out Winamp after i've done my processing on the file so i'm not enabling the feature in this build.

-daz
Old 7th March 2005, 21:41   #43
JonnyMac

Hello Darren

The Playlist Loader seem to be causing some problems with loading EQF equalizer presets.

Presets button > Load > From EQF

No EQF files are displayed. Reproduced with the Playlist Loader plug-in on a "clean install" of Winamp that I keep in a separate folder. To get around this
'All Files' are selected in the File Types dropdown box or *.EQF is used in the File Name box.

However, Presets button > Save > To EQF
The EQF files are displayed just fine.

Winamp Full 5.08e
Playlist Loader v0.9.5.3
Windows XP

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 21:46   #44
DrO

confirmed and that's really weird that one. i'll try and look into it tonight otherwise i'll get it sorted tomorrow

-daz
Old 7th March 2005, 22:02   #45
JonnyMac

OK
Thanks and take your time, no rush.
Old 8th March 2005, 00:53   #46
DrO

Playlist Loader v0.9.5.4 (formerly known as B4S Playlist Loader)
  • Fixed the open file dialog handling to ignore the 'load eqf' variant
get v0.9.5.4

I'd completely forgotten there was a the load eqf feature in there so a bit of sloppy coding on my part going on there :/ Also only took a few mins to find and fix so off to bed with me now

-daz
Old 8th March 2005, 01:01   #47
JonnyMac

Thank You. Working!
And yes, get some rest. It must be about 1:00 in the morning over there.
Old 8th March 2005, 02:49   #48
noonan

I'm having trouble getting a couple of .asx files to play. I select 'open
playlist' and paste the url in. I see it populate the playlist window and try
each url in turn.

This one will not play any of the url's although it buffers the third url
before failing silently:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live...903_030903.asx

This URL will work when entered manually in the 'play URL' dialog:

http://st14g1.services.att-idns.net/...54_01.asf/.wma

.asx contents:

<asx version="3.0">
<title>KRLA</title>
<asx version="3.0">
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
<copyright>2004</copyright>
<entry clientskip="no">
<title>E-Harmony</title>
<author>Salem Web Network</author>
<ref href="mms://st31g1.services.att-idns.net/c...63EA45BEE16FB5"/>
<ref href="http://locus.geo.advection.net/003/w...56DD4E59BF72A3"/>
<ref href="mms://gwmod10.streamos.com/wm10/1e/9...63EA45BEE16FB5"/>
</entry>
<entry>
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
<ref href="mms://gwmlive.streamos.com/20_swn-20...39D432FE670E6D"/>
</entry>
<entry>
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
</entry>

</asx>
<!-- Generated by Nine Systems Stream OS BOSS (v2-20050228) - Patent Pending -->
<author>KRLA</author>
<entry>
<title>KRLA</title>
<author>KRLA</author>
<ref href="mms://st14g1.services.att-idns.net/3408_3854_01.asf"/>
<ref href="mms://gwmlive.streamos.com/16_swn-16...7AC4C7DDEC94BD"/>
</entry>
<entry>
<title>KRLA</title>
<author>KRLA</author>
<ref href="mms://st14g1.services.att-idns.net/3408_3854_01.asf"/>
<ref href="mms://gwmlive.streamos.com/16_swn-16...7AC4C7DDEC94BD"/>
</entry>

</asx>
<!-- Generated by Nine Systems Stream OS BOSS (v2-20050228) - Patent Pending -->

This .asx one will only play the ad before the real stream for the radio station:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live...104_041118.asx

This URL works when entered manually in the "Play URL" dialog:

mms://gwmlive.streamos.com/20_swn-20...2A7D4?ext=.wma

.asx contents:

<asx version="3.0">
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
<entry clientskip="no">
<title>E-Harmony</title>
<author>Salem Web Network</author>
<ref href="mms://st31g1.services.att-idns.net/c...63EA45BEE16FB5"/>
<ref href="http://locus.geo.advection.net/003/w...56DD4E59BF72A3"/>
<ref href="mms://gwmod10.streamos.com/wm10/1e/9...63EA45BEE16FB5"/>
</entry>
<entry>
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
</entry>
<entry>
<title>KNUS</title>
<author>KNUS</author>
</entry>

</asx>

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this "/.wma" trick documented anywhere?

Thank you,

Noonan

Hey, D'AnNunzio - "You don't get no coke".
noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 04:35   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

"Is this "/.wma" trick documented anywhere?"

Just a bit... :/
try here or here

Not sure if you were already doing this, but with the Playlist Loader plugin, you have to save the ASX playlist to the hard drive first (c/o right click asx url > save link/target as) and then either use the Open/Add File (not url) Dialog or drag+drop to properly parse the list into the playlist.

It's a known issue that about 85% of mms:// wma or asf audio streams will play fine in Winamp by just adding /.wma to the end of the url.
However, the other 15% could require any of:
?ext=.wma
&ext=.wma
;stream.wma
;wma

(where "ext" could also be "type" or "MSWMExt" etc)

Some will only work by adding nothing to the end of the url and changing "assume extension of unknown filetypes" from mp3 to wma in Prefs > Playlist.

In your examples, you've come across one of the known cases where adding /.wma doesn't work. Therefore, you'll need to right click the playlist entry, select "playlist entry" and edit it accordingly, until you get it to play using one of the other workarounds.

Re: *.asf streams

The Playlist Loader plugin will currently only add /.wma to these if no actual filename is specified at the end of the url. However, your example stream ends with a filename.asf (3408_3854_01.asf) so therefore nothing is added. The reason for this being that the DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow.dll) should handle it properly instead of The WMA Decoder (in_wm.dll).

in_dshow is the default mms:// handler, but adding /.wma to the end of the url forces in_wm.dll to steal it from in_dshow.dll.

Also, .asf streams could be video streams, not audio streams, but adding /.wma to the end would pass the stream to in_wm.dll, and then you'd get audio only and no video.

Due to the nature of the proprietary asx / wma / asf formats, I'm not sure much can be done about this at the moment, so you'll just have to deal with it, heh :/

Though we're not helped by the fact that in_dshow.dll is a bit buggy and borks sometimes with some .asf streams (ie. it just enters an endless buffer loop and never actually plays the stream . . . as you witnessed)

[edit]

Note, I had to edit your post because it was breaking the thread width, so I changed all the links into proper url's, heh.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 12:37   #50
noonan

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

Not sure if you were already doing this, but with the Playlist Loader plugin, you have to save the ASX playlist to the hard drive first (c/o right click asx url > save link/target as) and then either use the Open/Add File (not url) Dialog or drag+drop to properly parse the list into the playlist.
[/B]
No, I did not. I just pasted the url into the open playlist window and it seemed to work. From your response, it would seem that doing this extra step would not help the .asf's play as it is just a known deficiency. Should I try it for some other reason?

Thanks for the help.

Noonan

"The world needs ditch diggers, too"
Old 8th March 2005, 13:09   #51
noonan

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
"Is this "/.wma" trick documented anywhere?"

Just a bit... :/
try here or here
These threads are filled with examples of URL moderators, but I was hoping to see something like a description of what each URL moderator does. Does this exist anywhere? For example, what does "?=.wma" do for you that "/.wma" does not?

Thank you,

Noonan
Old 8th March 2005, 13:19   #52
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by noonan
No, I did not. I just pasted the url into the open playlist window and it seemed to work.
I can't reply much to this thread since my lunch break is almost over now but with the url loading i think the code *may* be downloading as needed when using that method. if not it will in the newer build and also i'll look into handling of the open/add url dialogs soon as well then i'm going to leave this plugin alone for a bit as other projects need dev time (unless any major bugs, etc appear)

-daz
Old 8th March 2005, 15:57   #53
ujay
Forum King

Playlist 'Add files' and main window 'Open file(s)'.

WMA not showing in 'All supported types' ???

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 17:02   #54
DrO

i'll check it out in a few hours

-daz
Old 8th March 2005, 19:47   #55
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@noonan

Yes, funnily enough, it does work if you paste the asx url into the Add/Open Files dialog, but not the Add/Open Url dialog, heh.

Re: adding /.wma or ?ext=.wma or &ext=.wma at the end

I've no idea what/why/how, I guess it depends on the server/script.
All the url's work fine in Windows Media Player, without adding anything to the end - they might also work in Winamp if it wasn't for 1) the stupid endless buffer loop bug in in_dshow or 2) the input plugin architecture which relies on file extensions to determine which plugin handles a particular filetype.

The WMA Input plugin (in_wm.dll) will only handle a local file or remote url if the address ends with .wma. This is why we need to add either /.wma or ?ext=.wma to the end of the url.

If the url already includes a "?" switch in it, then adding &ext=.wma to the end is required and works (you can't have two "?" in the url).

And as I said, because adding /.wma to the end works for most url's, then this is the method used by the plugin. If it doesn't work, then (also as already said) you'll need to manually edit the playlist entry accordingly, until you come across the one which works (in 99% of other cases, it'll be one of ?ext=.wma or &ext=.wma which works instead of /.wma).

And that's just the way it is :/
Old 9th March 2005, 13:00   #56
DrO

after some talking with Egg i've modified the .asf handling to hopefully cover more cases so it'll work everytime such as adding ?=.wma or &=.wma as needed along the way

i still have to do a full re-test on the test files i have but so far things are working fine even noonan's test file now correctly works, yay

ujay: i'm not too sure what's happening with the wma option since it's showing fine in my setup. i did find a bug in the adding in of the extra filetypes for that option though which meant that m3u files weren't showing up but i've fixed that now. for the next build i may add in some debug code to save out a small text file listing what's added into the open/add file dialog (which could be useful for people elsewhere as well when they report issues with not enough filetypes showing up, etc )

on a general note, i've got handling in place now for the open/add url dialogs, just need to find/fix a crash bug in the downloading code otherwise it's nearly ready to be put out. and on a side note, i really really despise Windows Media formats now especially asx files

-daz
Old 9th March 2005, 13:10   #57
noonan

Thanks, Egg for the explanation of the parsing issue with URL suffixes.

Thanks, DrO for all your work in figuring out these asx/asf/wma issues so we can use WiMP streams!
Old 9th March 2005, 13:35   #58
DrO

i just code Egg checks and explains what i'm meant to be coding so most of the thanks should duly go to him

-daz

Split this since it really wasn't related too much to the flow of this thread
Old 10th March 2005, 03:10   #59
noonan

I never expected that winamp would be unable to burn protected wma's to CD after reading all about the output stacker fiasco. I understand that M$ doesn't want winamp to be able to make mp3's out of wma's but it didn't occur to me that winamp would not be able to burn wma's with an unrestricted burn license. I guess I thought that if winamp could play it, it could burn it if the license allows... oh well, I guess I'm stuck with WiMP for that. I just post on the off chance that I'm doing something wrong.

noonan
Old 11th March 2005, 01:00   #60
DrO

Playlist Loader v0.9.6.0 (formerly known as B4S Playlist Loader)
  • Added in open/add url dialog handling (won't add the url to the recent url list)
  • Fixed the open/add file(s) dialog to have the extra playlist formats added to the end of the 'All supported types' extension list (makes m3u available again!)
  • Modified the .asf handling to now add ?=.wma or &=.wma as needed so there's more chance of Winamp playing the file without editting the added entry
get v0.9.6.0

This build should be more useable and shouldn't require as much (if any manual editting of added playlist entries now and if you do then blame MS )

-daz
Old 11th March 2005, 14:49   #61
noonan

If I paste it in to 'play file' or 'play url', it loads up the list and plays it. The stations from my prior post now play without editing them. Thanks! If I put the .asx in the bookmark it doesn't work - I presume that is because bookmarks don't support playlists?

noonan
Old 11th March 2005, 15:08   #62
DrO

there's no handling for loading from bookmarks by the plugin at the moment. as long as a format is supported/handled correctly in winamp then you can add anything as a bookmark.

before 1.0 the plugin should be able to handle external loading of say *.asx files from explorer and i'll look at fixing the bookmark handling

-daz
Old 11th March 2005, 17:54   #63
SJHiker

simple asx file...

I saved an .asx file but cannot get it to play with the .9.6.0 version of the plugin. I've tried adding /.wma ?=wma etc.. to the end of the links with no luck. Any ideas?

This is the ENTIRE file:

[Reference]
Ref1=http://ccri.eonstreams.com/ccri_ca_sanjose_kufx_fm.asf
Ref2=http://10.80.175.222:80/ccri_ca_sanjose_kufx_fm.asf
SJHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2005, 17:58   #64
DrO

that's different from the asx file format i'm aware of. what's the url of the file that you're getting this from?

[edit]
Egg's edit reveals the light of the situation. i'll add in support in the next version (/me bows to the almighty finding powahs of the Egg!)

-daz
Old 11th March 2005, 18:09   #65
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, that's not the standard .asx format.

However...

http://ccri.eonstreams.com/ccri_ca_s...x_fm.asf?=.wma

plays perfectly in Winamp.

(though the 2nd stream url is dead)

[edit]

Ah, found some relevant info here

Sample 4 (Advanced ASX file - Protocol rollover)
Old 11th March 2005, 18:43   #66
SJHiker

URL for odd format...

You can find the referring URL here:

http://www.kfox.com/streaming.html

-SJHiker
SJHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 18:57   #67
G the K

Send a message via Yahoo to G the K
I find that when I click on one .asx file duplicats or triplicates open in Winamp. How do you prevent that happening (if you can)? I want to set up an .m3u list comprised of different files, like playlist of albums.
G the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 19:40   #68
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by G the K
I find that when I click on one .asx file duplicats or triplicates open in Winamp.
are you trying to load the files externally from Winamp? if so then it should just add in a single entry for the file as Winamp does for any unknown filetype since in all of the public builds the plugin only supports loading from the add/open file or add/open url dialogs. the next build (which i'm working on at the moment is now working to at least correctly handle enqueuing a asx file into the playlist)

SJHiker: the next build now has handling for those types of playlist files (though if anyone finds one that uses the 'BaseUrl' entry then that'd be great for me to add in handling for that as well )

noonan: bookmark handling is now in play from the menus (hopefully my detection shouldn't conflict with anything) and also from the media library (related to the external enqueue support added in )

-daz
Old 13th March 2005, 05:33   #69
Walter66

I can play these two files--for about 30 sec each!

I installed Playlist_Loader_v0_9_6_0.exe and downloaded these two files and saved them to disk as WMP files. Dragging and dropping into Winamp causes them to play.

FILE 1

<asx version="3.0">
<title>MDR FIGARO - Live-Stream</title>
<author>www.mdr.de</author>
<copyright>MDR FIGARO 2004</copyright>

<entry >
<ref href="mms://62.146.66.35/3087mdr_figaro_live.wmv?cid=51504&dummy=.wmv" >
<duration value="00:00:00.000" />
</ref>

</entry>

</asx>

FILE 2

<ASX version="3.0"><Entry><ref HREF="mms://sr-wm.qbrick.com/02038_p2-musik-wm-High"/></Entry></ASX>

I don't know why they look so different--In fact I don't know much about either of them. They play in Winamp after and I drag and drop them in the Playlist Editor Window for about 30 sec and then start breaking up, like maybe the buffering can't keep up? They play fine in WiMP 10.

I have been following the discussion, kind of, as v 9.6.0 came about. What do I have to do to make these things play correctly and save them as New Playlists in Winamp? Or can I?

Thanks for dragging a bumbling amateur along.

Walter66
Walter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 06:22   #70
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

mms://sr-wm.qbrick.com/02038_p2-musik-wm-High/.wma

plays fine in Winamp for me.

Though ZoneAlarm prompted me that Winamp needed to accept connections from the internet, so you may want to check your firewall settings for winamp.exe

mms://62.146.66.35/3087mdr_figaro_live.wmv?cid=51504&dummy=.wmv/.wma

played perfectly fine as well...
though I'm not sure why the hell that "&dummy=.wmv" is in the url.
It works fine without it, and it's an audio stream (wma) not video (wmv).
mms://62.146.66.35/3087mdr_figaro_live.wmv?cid=51504/.wma

So maybe you should be posting in a new thread in Tech Support instead, heh :/

Read the stickys first, especially this one
Old 13th March 2005, 12:12   #71
DrO

both files load and play fine for me as well (run both for over a minute and i had no buffering issues).

Quote:
I don't know why they look so different--In fact I don't know much about either of them.
they both follow the same basic format, it's just how they've been formatted which is different such as the second one not having each entry on a new line etc. if you've ever looked at the source of webpage, they should sort of look the same, just the text will be different. the main thing to look at for them is when you find a <Entry><ref HREF=""/></Entry> which is what the plugin uses to detect where the streams are (along with a few other checks).

as a note, with 0.9.6.0 you can just put the url/address of the asx into the open/add url dialogs which saves having to manually save the files first. the 0.9.7.x build(s) will allow you to have asx, etc associated in Winamp and then just have to click on the url and it's done straight away for you and the tests from me and Egg show that it's working really well!

-daz
Old 13th March 2005, 13:41   #72
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
the 0.9.7.x build(s) will allow you to have asx, etc associated in Winamp and then just have to click on the url and it's done straight away for you and the tests from me and Egg show that it's working really well!
Teasing us, huh?
Looking forward to it.

btw... the Playlist Loader v0.9.6.0 link in your sig points to Playlist_Loader_v0_9_5_4.exe instead of Playlist_Loader_v0_9_6_0.exe

Maybe change it now? Unless of course Playlist_Loader_v0_9_7_0.exe is just about ready.
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 14:37   #73
Walter66

Thank you for the help, DrO and Egg!

Egg--I'm too new to know what "Stickies" mean. I read the one you referred me to. I will post this issue there. Sorry guys, you have been so good to me I hate to leave. One last question, when DrO says "if you've ever looked at a web page", the code I guess he means--what's a good place to start? Is all this stuff you are writing called HTML? Do I have to learn that to understand? I will, if I have to.
Again, thank you, and I look forward to v 9.7.0 also with the auto association of the .asx files

Walter66
Walter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 23:35   #74
G the K

Send a message via Yahoo to G the K
Will you be zble to (or can you) click on a link to an .asx file on a web page and have Winamp come up and play it?
G the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2005, 01:47   #75
DrO

as stated in this thread a few times (even quoted in Nunzio's post) as well as a few other threads, the next public build will have the ability for Winamp to be associated with b4s, asx, wax, wvx, wmx (new one we found that's still an asx derivative) and wpl playlists.

the new build is potentially planned for late today (uk time) inorder to start testing a load of the new handling/features

-daz
Old 15th March 2005, 02:20   #76
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Teasing us, huh?
yup, especially with this screenie taken from the test build the myself and Egg have been playing with for the last hour or so all i can say is that it all appears to be working fine and is acting as though it was Winamp doing it natively for the association(s). once i've got one bug and two features finished, a new public build is going to be ready to go, yipee

-daz
Attached Images
File Type: png plldft.png (11.7 KB, 634 views)
Old 15th March 2005, 02:40   #77
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Great news!!

Ya know... when I first looked at the screenshot, the only thing that caught my eye were the 2 disabled extensions... zip and rar

And I thought huh? What's Darren talking about? Does this belong in the in_zip thread instead of here? But then I saw all the playlist file types listed under those 2 and said... YES!!!

Can't wait

[EDIT]

And you should KEEP "Winamp Preferences get hacked by DrO cos he can... yeah baby yeah!!!"

Yep. Keep it in. Make it "official". Then, when this and a bunch of your other plugins become part of what is natively included in the Winamp distro (as JTFE did), for the next release, it'll BE THERE!!! Yeah!!

[EDIT #2]

Errr... I just looked again at the screenshot. Under Explorer Settings... what happened to the fields/checkboxes for the Winamp Agent, System tray icon, and Maintain file associations?
Old 15th March 2005, 03:09   #78
JonnyMac

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
[EDIT]

And you should KEEP "Winamp Preferences get hacked by DrO cos he can... yeah baby yeah!!!"

Yep. Keep it in. Make it "official".
That is DrO's Skin Peviewer plug-in.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 15th March 2005, 03:42   #79
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Oh I already know about that, JM. I posted about it in the same thread. I am assuming that Darren has also intentionally included it in what he's testing now.
Old 15th March 2005, 03:54   #80
JonnyMac

Hmmmm, we'll see...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion