Old 13th February 2006, 20:44   #81
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Build 430 is out in a couple of mins, so give the iPod transfers a good workout please

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2006, 21:08   #82
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
Will, can I sort my tracks with the PMP's iPod support?
For some odd reason they won't sort by album track number (even though all tracks are fully IDed).

It can't do this with ml_ipod, it seems (I have a thread in its forum).

YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2006, 21:37   #83
colorspace

Hi Will, my iPAQ Pocket PC (or it's inserted 1GB SD Card) still doesn't show up in build 430.
colorspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2006, 22:42   #84
JayBaddd

I have put Winamp 5.2 Beta build 427 through its paces with the SanDisk Sansa m230, which as was posted previously, is Plays for Sure-compliant.

What was discovered was that files can be transferred by sending them to the m230 with no issues but one, and that is that the ID3 tag info shows up but original filename does not. However, when I edit File Info and update, that does show up successfully in the m230.

The m230 will not allow playing of files in Winamp but as long as files are added to the Winamp Library, files transfer smoothly once the File Info is updated. Keep up the great work!

Jay Bader
Orlando, FL
JayBaddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 16:41   #85
drGonzo

Hi Will,

Tested b430 on a freshly formatted 3g iPod. I tried a couple of small auto-fills, with & without full album that completed successfully. Afterwards I did an 80% auto-fill with albums that completed successfully. Everything is looking great!

I really like how you can continue to use the new Winamp normally as it is transferring tracks to the iPod, load play-lists, play/skip tracks, close/open/switch views in media library...this build seems very smooth.

Thanks,
Rob
drGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 17:29   #86
will

Excellent! Thanks for the positive report drGonzo.

The transfer queue is one of the things i wanted in mlipod for a loooong time, so it's great to see that now I did it in ml_pmp, other people like it too

Old 14th February 2006, 19:18   #87
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
im not quite sure what autofill does but 5.2.430 seems to be working wonderfully with my 60gb ipod photo
i do notice though that when transferring songs through iTunes the id3v2 cover tag was transferred to the ipod as a viewable image while playing the song but with ml_ipod and pmp_ipod it isnt (big deal i can wait for this to show up later)

something i found very irritating though was thig;
ki used the ipod updater to 'restore' my ipod (factory default) before trying to use pmp_ipod (so i could have a fresh start and more fun) and i found out that the iTunes files dont come on the restored ipod, and pmp_ipod lacks the ability to put them there and ml_ipod seems to be blocked out of 5.2.430 so since i didnt want to uninstall 5.2.x and reinstall 5.1x i had to take the ipod to my other comp and use ml_ipod's format feature to get things rolling

i'll read the beginning of this thread now to see what auto fill does if it's in here, if it's not would someone mind posting some description?

up until this version i wasnt able to use the pmp_ipod because after transfers it would crash, so good job fixing that
NyNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 19:44   #88
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Awesome! The transfer of songs works great on my 4G Ipod. Thanks Will!
Is Playlist transfer planned for the first proper release of ml_pmp?
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 20:26   #89
Kanpai

Send a message via AIM to Kanpai
I am happy to report that I am no longer getting the runtime errors on my file transfers! Thanks, Will!

EDIT: ITunes is reading my Ipod correctly again as well.
Kanpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 22:02   #90
shaneh
Major Dude

Transfers seem to be working for me too. I hope the 'last played' bugs have been worked out too, ml_ipod trashed a good part of my db Probably some char* to long or long to int cast problem. I found I had a similar problem with ActiveWinamp when I had to write a script to cleanup the mess.

Small request though : could you prevent the window from taking focus/switching to the transfer window when you transfer over a song. Its annoying to lose your place when you are going through adding songs.

Speaking of which, drag and drop does not appear to work, only 'send to'.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 23:21   #91
will

shaneh: There is, but i'm afraid you have to go digging around in winamp.ini. Add the line:
switchToTransferView=0
under [ml_pmp] in the winamp.ini file.

Old 16th February 2006, 13:20   #92
shaneh
Major Dude

Thanks will that seems to work, it should probably be default.

Bug: If I leave my ipod plugged in when I shut down winamp, playcounts and probably other ml data is not saved to the ml (not songs played off the ipod, but other songs, not even on the ipod). Im guessing this could be because pmp_ipod.dll is causing the ml to shut down uncleanly and not flush the data - or it is holding some kind of lock on the data. Be great if you could look into it.
Old 16th February 2006, 14:25   #93
will

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
Thanks will that seems to work, it should probably be default.
Benski agrees with you. However, I, and a couple of my bosses disagree.

It was a tough call, but people need some visual feedback so they know stuff is being copied to their device.

Old 16th February 2006, 15:42   #94
omarello
Major Dude

the new beta seems to work without throwing that error and closing winamp...

thats great....

still as some already said the album art isn't showing up...

i actually havn't tried to format my ipod and sync form winamp, cause i read sometime back that an itunes db needs to be present... is that still the case or can i uninstal itunes and foramt?

also on the ipod is there a way to get my podcasts to show in the podcast section after the music menu... i can access them from the Music/Genre/Podcast area, but the Music/Pocast area is now empty..

thanks a lot u guys...

Shoot me again I ain't dead YET
omarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2006, 21:31   #95
shaneh
Major Dude

Well as long as it can be turned off, can't argue with the boss. I have a feeling you will suffer some backlash from it however, as iTunes does it in the background. It seems kind of pointless to have background transferring but then force it to the foreground. It makes it pretty difficult to transfer songs using the ml, as you have to go back and try find your place and remember what songs youve transferred already etc.

Perhaps just a windows balloon or change the tree item to say 'Portables (transferring 35%)' - 'Portables (ready)' or a non-modal dialog of some sort.

Anyhow, I hope that you got the bug report ok this time. It would be good if we knew when a ticket was raised for an issue or not, or used bugzilla or something, instead of just wading through noise in a forum thread, or getting accused of being a broken record. I still dont know whether drag drop support is broken or just not implemented yet.
Old 17th February 2006, 04:26   #96
boerner

Beta 5.2 build 430 does not recognize my samsung yp-u1z. However, the old g_usb plugin seems to function fine with it.
Is this device going to be supported in ml_pmp?
boerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 16:47   #97
dv8shawn

Playcount sync

Great plugin!
Everything is working great (and it doesn't mess up my podcasts/compilations/artwork YAY!)

Is ratings and playcount syncing support for the ipod in the future? That is the only thing that is missing I think.

Thanks again for the great work on this one.
dv8shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 17:42   #98
KISStian

Winamp.exe not closing upon exit

Hi, I reported this issue in the 5.2 BETA thread, but nobody has commented on it. Something that I have noticed with the new PDP plugin is that is causes winamp.exe to hang when the program is closed down. With the plugin installed, the process might reamin in the task manager for about a minute before it successfully quits and the process cannot be terminated manually. When the plugin was uninstalled, everything worked as expected. Any ideas what may be happening? Winamp is running on a clean system and the player I have is the Zen Vision:M. The problem happens when the player is plugged in as well as when it is not plugged in. Thanks.
KISStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 19:02   #99
awg

My creative muvo doesn't work in ml.
Still need ml_gusb.dll
awg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 21:18   #100
motion157

is there any plans to have a "Search" field at the top of the ML when you select a playlist on a portable device? It was one of the best things in ml_ipod. Currently it only shows the search field when you're on the root of the portable device. Or is it something plugin devs will have to do? 'cause if that's the case, I can start looking at the plugin api right now then.
motion157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2006, 00:50   #101
NyNe

Send a message via ICQ to NyNe Send a message via AIM to NyNe Send a message via Yahoo to NyNe
i notice ml_pmp sorts the music on my ipod differently than winamp sorts it in my library
for example, winamp puts (Hed) P.E. at the top, where ml_pmp put's it in the H section

i dont really care which way it goes but i would like them both to be the same
NyNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 19:42   #102
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Hi Devs Extraordinaire.
If you right click on a playlist in the left pane media library choose send to > Ipod you get an error message that says that you cannot send playlists to a portable device.
If you highlight the playlists tree on the left side. you will see all of your playlists in the right pane. However, if you right click a playlist in the right pane and then choose send to > Ipod, then no error message comes up and nothing happens.

I hope that helps.

{edit}

Also one more interesting behavior.
IPod Plugged in
If you try to edit the metadata directly to your Ipod
right click a song >edit selected Items
if you edit the Disc# field to anything, when you save it, that field with change to whatever the track number is AND the Year gets changes to something strange also.

Last edited by Juanus; 20th February 2006 at 19:58.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 13:19   #103
lifer

Quote:
Does anyone know what playlist functionality the new Portable Device Support plugins are supposed to provide? I'm just curious if I should start using the new iPod plugin or stick with the existing ml_ipod plugin because it seems to do more than the one in the current 5.2 beta. Thanks!
Hi, Will! Not to be a total pain in the a**, but I haven't seen any list of the planned Portable Device Support plugin functionality. Compared to your old ml_ipod plugin, the current PDS iPod plugin seems to be limited (no Smart Views, no playlist transfers from Winamp, etc.). Naturally, I'd like to use the most current and stable software, but also want to have all the functions available that one would normally need for managing an MP3 player. Could you (or anyone else in the know) post a list of features? Thanks again.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 13:36   #104
will

I thought I addressed this in the first post in the thread. Basically, its up to you.

Old 21st February 2006, 18:40   #105
lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by will
I thought I addressed this in the first post in the thread. Basically, its up to you.
Thanks, Will. The first post doesn't have quite the amount of detail I was hoping for, but I'll take what I can get. Playlist transfer appears to be on the to-do list in any case. Smart Views aren't mentioned, but I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for future versions.

Thanks again for the great plugins!
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 06:48   #106
thomassster

Send a message via AIM to thomassster
the newest final version of winamp works great with ipod nano. Sync good, but still has the bugs with ml_ipod. I know they might have conflicts with each other, but I want to somehow keep the option of copying songs to hard drive. Still waiting for the day that pmp will have that option.
thomassster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:24   #107
brutalwit

Send a message via AIM to brutalwit
Here's something I noticed with ml_pmp and my 4th gen Ipod. I didn't see another post about it, so it may just be me.

I have a clean install of winamp and an ipod that I've been using ml_ipod with. When WA 5.2 came out, I did a clean install and tried ml_pmp. It synced beautifully, but on each sync afterwards there are about 12 files that get copied to the ipod again, creating duplicates. And each subsequent time I sync, they get copied again.

After I noticed this, I deleted the entire library and all playlists from my ipod did a sync again. It copied the library with no duplicates. Then I synced again and it copied over the same 12 files that it was before.

Some of the files had exceptionally long tracknames, like tracks from a David Cross CD and the Sufjan Stevens cd, Illinois. However, 4 of them just had one word track names but were all Tool songs, for some reason.

Other than that, I'm loving it and I'm sure once word hits the street that winamp handles portable devices so beautifully, there will be a collective sigh of relief about no longer having to use iTunes.
brutalwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:16   #108
Sillee String

Hey everyone. I've been using Winamp for years, and this is my first post here. A-hoy-hoy!

Alright now that that's out of the way I'd like to say that I think it's awesome that Winamp works with the new ipod in a more complete way than the old plug-in, but I have a quick question: When transferring to the ipod with this new plug-in, does it rename all your files on the device itself in a similar way that itunes does, or does it maintain their original filenames? Thanks for the answer in advance!
Sillee String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2006, 23:17   #109
Sillee String

ok I'll answer my own question: apparently it renames it into something sort of like ml_pmp001.mp3

So I guess a new question is--is that the only way they could be named? Could the original filenames be kept by any chance?
Sillee String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 00:16   #110
Spikeismoo

Send a message via AIM to Spikeismoo
Re: Supports Plays For Sure but not standard USB?

Quote:
Originally posted by reedermw
When you say it supports "Plays For Sure" devices; are you really saying MTP protocol devices? Does that mean that MSC (Mass Storage Compliant) USB devices like the Rio Carbon and flash players won't be supported? I have plugged in my Rio Carbon and it doesn't appear to be seen. Am I missing something?
Bumping this post. I'm also having problems detecting my Rio Carbon using the Winamp 5.2 release, however, when i plug it in, Winamp appears on the handlers window.

Edit: I've just noticed some strange behavior - as i removed my Rio Carbon from my computer, Winamp closed itself. I'm not a computer whizz, so i'm not sure what to say apart from that my computer runs Windows XP.

Last edited by Spikeismoo; 23rd February 2006 at 00:34.
Spikeismoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:33   #111
fuzzyhair

Transcode question

Considering the new ipod sync doesn't have transcode yet, I was wondering how I can make it so the old transcode takes my 192 kbps mp3 and turn it into a 96 kbps aac file automatically?
would I have to put something in here?

If so what would it be?
Thanks, I will switch when transcode is available.
fuzzyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 15:20   #112
jbond23

Another plea

Another plea for PFS playback. NotMad can stream tracks straight off a PFS Creative ZenXtra. So can Creative Explorer. It would be really, really good if ml_pmp could do the same. Currently when you try and "play" from the list it comes back with "device doesn't support direct playback". I wouldn't mind at all if this was faked, perhaps by copying to a temporary file on the Winamp PC. Just to be absolutely clear here, I want to play a track residing on the PFS device through Winamp. Not to tell the device to play it though itself. I would also much prefer it if it appeared to play natively so that AudioScrobbler (Last.FM) picked it up rather than it being streamed.

Yours in hope.
jbond23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 19:55   #113
arsinmsn

Will,

I note near the beginning of this thread you said that "Devices" would be going away. I hope it'll be folded into "Portables" or something like that. I've been using gUSB to move tunes onto my Sony/Palm device (TH55); it's not perfect but it's better han nothing.

Otherwise, congratulations on an excellent extension.
arsinmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:21   #114
will

Hopefully in a future version we will be able to fake direct playback by copying the track to a temporary location. No promises, but we will look into it.

Old 23rd February 2006, 21:51   #115
bunklung

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to try out my Dell DJ when/if you get streaming working. The playlist exporting and backup would be great too. Thanks.
bunklung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 02:59   #116
mightymo

I was thinking about getting a Toshiba Gigabeat MEGF20K. I really don't want to use the included software to transfer my songs to it. Can anyone confirm that the Gigabeat works with Winamp 5.2?
mightymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 03:43   #117
LobsterX

I have a Creative Muvo V200 1gb MP3 Flash player.

I pluggged it into my laptop and winamp doesn't recognise my player. Nothing shows up. Is my player not supported?

pls help.

using win98se
LobsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 04:22   #118
Project2501

hey whats the word on PSP support?
Project2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 23:04   #119
brutalwit

Send a message via AIM to brutalwit
Also, if I delete files from my media library, and then sync with my ipod, those files are not deleted from the ipod. Is this by design?
brutalwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 11:20   #120
PjotrStroganov

Quote:
Originally posted by will

Unfortunatly, Sony players are not part of any of that. Blame sony, not us. [/B]
Wouldn't be so sure of that. The PSP acts as a normal USB drive when selected. This is an option on the PSP. There is no propriatory Sony program needed to transfer files to the memorystick. It just showes up as an external drive on the pc.

It is just a matter of drag and drop the mp3's from the source map on the pc to the music map on the PSP. I don't know anything about the media library in winamp, but synchronising files between the pc and PSP should not be more difficult than with a simple usb mp3 player.
PjotrStroganov is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion