Hate it 178 64.26%
Its about the same to me 42 15.16%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 27th February 2006, 18:43   #161
VastOne

Send a message via Yahoo to VastOne
Smart man!

Ok, since I have never seen it work, what is it supposed to do once you do this:

Search for Beth Orton

Click on the first response/return...

Then what do yu see or what happens?

Thanks !

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 18:47   #162
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Take a look:

Maybe clean install or adding singing fish to the trusted sites in IE helps.
Old 27th February 2006, 18:47   #163
Axellink

Ok the real main concern is how slow it is compared to the client side version in 5.13, and the fact that you can't arrange the tabs. I hate having to scroll along the left to see how many listeners there are. and yes I re-activated my account to complain
Old 27th February 2006, 18:53   #164
VastOne

Koopa,

I get that far, it is once you click on number one

1:Windows WMV3

If I click there, evry thign shuts down completley...What happens when you click that one?

Not sure why or how IE could shut down Winamp...

Appreciate your help...
Old 27th February 2006, 18:56   #165
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

If I click on 1:Windows WMV3, Winamp connects to the stream and plays the file. I can see the stream in the Playlist.

Did you read my edited posting above. This is the only solution I have, sorry.
Old 27th February 2006, 18:56   #166
VastOne

Also, I can go to the Singing Fish site with no issues...

In Firefox and IE...no hangups no snags...

All scripts and rights are enabled and run perfectly

I notice you are using a classic skin, I may change that and see what happens since I am using a modern

Again, I really appreciate the feedback

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 18:58   #167
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

No, I'm using the modern skin, with the color theme "Good ol' Winamp".

Try clean install.
Old 27th February 2006, 19:02   #168
VastOne

That was it...I switched to a classic skin and it almost worked...

It did not close immediatley, it in fact tried to play, but on the third sog attemted, it shut down again...the same way

The difference noted is that there was no sound at all, it appeared as if the stream was playing, but there was no sound...

Getting more and more interesting

Hopefully this is helping the Winamp dev folks...?

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 19:03   #169
VastOne

Clean install is next attempt and I will keep you posted

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 19:21   #170
VastOne

Clean install resulted in the exact same results..

It finds every stream but never begins to play...

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 19:51   #171
ESquared

I detest several things about the new shoutcast browser:

1) - Because it's functioning as a web page, it doesn't show what I last selected. If I'm selecting several streams to put in a playlist, it's easy to lose my place. But even worse is that I have to right-click on each one and choose "Enqueue." No more moving through the list with arrow keys and pressing Alt-Enter. This is a *serious* downgrade in functionality.

2) Speaking of enqueuing, I can't find the option anywhere in preferences to change the default action to enqueue instead of play. Destroying my active playlist every time I click really pisses me off.

2) Using two lines per entry and not having information appearing in columns makes it really hard to scan the list. I find it very difficult to pick out the familiar stream names that I'm looking for: I have to focus on each line and use effort to read it. I just can't scan any more. Not to mention losing the ability to sort. Blah.

3) Shoving the search box all the way to the right is annoying. I have to go to the right side to type, then look on the left side to read (and click, so I can see what I'm clicking on). Then go to the right side to type, then back, then over, then back. Just up and down would be nice to have back.

4) And last, the option to have different settings on a per-user basis is nice, but drat you to an unpleasant fiery place, couldn't you have imported my old settings and playlists in the process? There's nothing quite like thinking "sure, I'll make a minor version upgrade" and then finding out AFTER doing it, "Oh, by the way, all your playlists are gone. Good luck finding them in the registry or on the hard drive somewhere--that is, if they even still exist. Have fun, compliments of Winamp. We like making you take extra time at work away from your regular duties screwing around with settingup software. What? You were building a special playlist of your mp3s to share with your friend? Sorry. We hope you still like our software anyway, even though we royally suck at this upgrade thing."
Old 27th February 2006, 19:54   #172
ESquared

Oh, here's another good one I just found. You can't click and drag to select the text in the Search box, so you can type over it. No, you have to click into the box and hold down backspace to clear it out.

Pathetic. Did anyone use this stuff for a few days before releasing it? Or was the new interface just so COOL that your sensibility was overridden and you sent it out without thinking of actual usability concerns?

Plus, you used to auto search after typing, no hitting enter required. Get thee hence to an unpleasant fiery place again.
Old 27th February 2006, 20:34   #173
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ESquared

Read This First

1. Now implemented
(are you saying that you don't see the changes?)
Well, select entry to hi-lite, and Enter or Shift+Enter to Play or Enqueue is implemented anyway, heh.

2a. Coming soon
For now, use rt-click > Enqueue, or hi-lite + Shift + Enter

2b. No idea what you're talking about. It hasn't been like that since the changes were made yesterday (unless you're referring to sc-tv and not sc-radio, ie. the same changes to sc-tv haven't been applied... yet). It's all single line entries now, and 'Sort' is back via clicking the column headers.

3. Noted

4. Wrong thread / not relevant to Shoutcast Browser.
Also a known issue which will be addressed for 5.21
(ie. a 'clean' or 'import' option in the installer)
All your settings and playlists are still there where they were before in the Program Files\Winamp folder, you will just need to manually copy them over to your Username\Application Data\Winamp folder. Sorry about the inconvenience, heh.

5. Re: Search box
Select/hi-lite text has just been fixed.
Are you saying that you don't see the changes yet?
The Delete key not working is a known bug/issue in the actual media library, and also affects other areas like SC Wire (ie. it isn't specific to 5.2 or the new SC Browser).
Old 27th February 2006, 21:12   #174
ujay
Forum King

And with regard to usability, isn't this what the whole thread has become, gathering usability reports.
Have a read through the thread and you'll find that the devs are responded to what users want. It's impossible to spring something like this fully formed, and the speed with which changes are being developed is nothing short of remarkable in my eyes.

Personally, I'd hate to see it go back to the old style now. It's a much more fluid system than before and has potential that hasn't even begun to be explored yet. I have plans to add my own pages when I've learnt a bit more HTML.

UJ
Old 27th February 2006, 21:14   #175
VastOne

Agree UJ....

From a change management perspective and moderation of an irate percentage of LONG time users...Winamp has their hands full, but they are doing some amazing creative development and counseling...

VastOne
Old 27th February 2006, 23:18   #176
ESquared

I truly apologize for the excessive insulting and the overly negative tone. Winamp is a good product and I enjoy using it. Listening to music at work is what gets me through the day, day after day. For some reason it was particularly frustrating today to deal with random weird behaviors in winamp. Perhaps the fact that my leg was savagely mauled by a rabid wolverine this morning had something to do with my bad temper. And I was late on a mini-project... and someone started sharing my office today... so I desperately needed sound filling my headphones.

When I posted, I didn't see any changes from how it was yesterday. I see changes now. I don't know why that is.
Old 27th February 2006, 23:36   #177
VastOne

A Gentleman speaks, eloquently...

Well said, and I for one understand days like yours and wish you many happier ones ahead..

VastOne
Old 28th February 2006, 00:34   #178
plammen

lets start by saying that the new Media library is a huge disapointmet .... why?.... thats why:

webstyle... hate it... manualy refreshing droplist was a lot better idea although limited to 1000 stations...
(refreshing the page everytime you want to search for something different... hate it... and what's the use of alphabetical order when a lot of stations names start with symbols (..::CMAX::..) or have spaces in between every letter to make the name look better or what so ever (P L U G / F M)... search not practical at all)

limiting Shoutcast station names to 30 characters...
(thats a total disrespect to the Station... name too long.. sorry lets just cut two thirds out and make it short... man... full name of Digitaly Imported Cast is:
"D I G I T A L Y - I M P O R T E D - lounge - sit back and enjoy the lounge grooves!" and in this new ML u just see "D I G I T A L L Y - I M P O R".. no comment...)

limiting Shoutcast Now Playing SongTitles to 30 characters...
(long name bands leave no space for the song title)

cannot change list order to connection type
(I don't want to listen to the slow connection type stations, whwn i have a 4mb adsl line)

cannot change list order to listener numbers
(I want to choose a genre and listen to the station that has the most listeners... to listen to what other people listen, to what is popular...)

search as you type was one of the best features in winamp... u type 3 or 4 letters and u get the station you were searching for... and its gone
(it's not just useful for saving you time typing long names but also because sometimes you dont know the full name)

cannot bookmark the station...
(now that is real crap... all my bookmasrks are radio stations... have like 50 of them and i have even put 5 of them as shortcuts on desktop... now how do u bookmark a station in this new ML??? before u just rightclick and go to Send to: >> Add to bookmarks ...and it bookmarks the whole station playlist with all of its IPs... now all you have when you rightclick is Play and Enque... totaly useless)

as a conclusion... i find it very non-practical, and useless unless u know exactly what u're searching for... and sometimes you might not even find what u're searching for because u don't remember the exact name of the station...

to Nullsoft staff... if u're planning on keeping and/or improving the current webstyle listing...
PLEASE ADD AN OPTION TO CHOOSE THE OLD STYLE LISTING VIEW THAT HAD NO NEED OF ANY IMPROVEMENTS AT ALL.

thank you
Old 28th February 2006, 02:34   #179
DrO

and if you'd bothered to read the previous posts in this thread then you'd have found out why the change was made. shit happens and it isn't going to be reverted back. stay with 5.13 if that's what you want or use the other method as has been suggested though there is a very likely chance that the old gen_ml method will be pulled at some stage. things are being worked on and like anything new there will be teething issues and changes will (and already have been made).

in all honesty this thread (and related ones should just go to the forum's recycle bin) since the repetition and people's consistant inability to read what has already been said is really starting to grate on my nerves and i don't even use the damn thing (the one thing i advocate about the new ml_online is that it can be removed for those who don't want to waste bandwidth on online media crap, to that i thank tag and the rest of the team very much for this)

-daz
Old 28th February 2006, 02:38   #180
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@plammen

Read This First

The 30-char limit is just a temporary stopgap solution until we get column resizing back. Nothing is set in stone. The 30 char thing was only introduced a few hours ago (before that, it was 56 chars, but the columns were too wide, and meant that you had to either have a really wide ml or keep scrolling horizontally all the time). Besides, the Tooltips show the full name, and again, it's all just a temporary stopgap solution until we get column resizing implemented.

Bandwidth filter is returning

Search As You Type is hopefully returning

You can still bookmark stations via the playlist, but 'Bookmark' should hopefully be returning to the context menu too.

Re: "cannot change list order to listener numbers"
Yes, you can. Click the "Listener" header at the top of the column (ie. Sort by: Name, Now Playing, Type, Bitrate, Listeners).

You might not care about the 12,000 stations with 0 to 20 listeners, but we do :/
Old 28th February 2006, 03:06   #181
ESquared

daz,

There's no easy way to find exactly what one wants to talk about quickly. It takes less time to just say one's observed problems than to read through five pages of posts.

Perhaps there could be something that wouldn't require a person to read tons of posts. I DID check the bug list forum before posting earlier. But there was no way to find what I was looking for quickly.

I have two suggestions:

1) Have a hot items web page that lists, by various categories, all known and currently in-progress issues. This would let a user select shoutcast OR music library to find the items of interest.

2) Release new versions as betas until the initial feedback rolls in. This allows me to decline the new version if I don't feel like messing around with stuff, and if I DO accept the new version, I'll be less likely to be annoyed if I find things I don't like, because hey, it was the beta, after all.

Both of these could reduce the winamp development team's stress.
Old 28th February 2006, 04:22   #182
urbanite

Pretty cool how quickly issues are being addressed. As of this point, I'm only looking for column re-sizing and bit-rate selection (I know they're being worked). Very impressed! Keep up the good work.

I do want to comment on the frequent statement made about "small" stations; DJ Egg often says, "You may not care about the stations with 0-20 listeners, but we do."

It's not that I don't "care", I love listening to new stations. However, I listen to stations for hours at a time, and I can only get consistent, reliable results from those stations which have a lot of listeners. The smaller stations frequently get into buffering mode and prove to be more frustrating to listen to.

I'm not sure exactly how they're going to market themselves, admittedly it's tough. But I'm only going to listen if the station is solid, reliable, and plays the music I like.
Old 28th February 2006, 06:18   #183
DC83

I'm not really happy with it at all. I click on Online Services in the Media Library, and when I try to click on Shoutcast TV, or any other one of the options there, Nothing happens at all, no new window, no nothing, it's like the damn thing isn't even recognizing me clicking on it. I liked it the way it was before, I don't know what it's like after I click on those, and probably never will until a much better version is out, or until it goes back to the way it was, whichever comes first. But for now, I'm gonna have to vote for hating it since I'm having problems.
Old 28th February 2006, 16:08   #184
PaulAtreides

Dj Egg,

The shoutcast radio part is getting better in Winamp.
I first was really disapointed, but with the latest improvements I start liking the 5.2 shoutcast interface. I have found some new radio stations that I haven't listened to before. That's good!

Please add the option to filter out every station under 128kbit(mp3), and to sort stations based on their bitrate, not genre. And the possibility do drag and drop would be great, if it's technically possible.

Keep on improving it, until it's better than winamp 5.13.
Old 28th February 2006, 16:45   #185
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@PaulAtreides

You can already sort by bitrate by clicking on the Bitrate column header.

The 'bandwidth filter' is coming back (see update post).
Not sure about drag+drop support yet, but yeah, it would be nice.
Old 28th February 2006, 18:11   #186
ujay
Forum King

Can the mouse wheel be disabled in Quick Genre, seems to result in 'No stations available' and breaks Genre A-Z if you're not very careful. Or is it triggering some sort of flood control perhaps?

An hourglass would be handy too

UJ
Old 28th February 2006, 18:27   #187
l_p_4_7

The Shoutcast radio browser is much better now, will the TV browser be seeing similar changes at some stage?

For me, the only other important features missing are right-click bookmarking, search as you type, auto column resizing and filtering of bitrates.

Other than that though, looks great...thanks
Old 28th February 2006, 19:13   #188
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@l_p_4_7

All your questions are answered in the read me first update post.

Shoutcast TV view has now changed to look like the Shoutcast Radio list :-)

@ujay
Hmm, the mouse scrollwheel seems ok here.
No lockups and no 'no stations available' errors.
Also, I think an hourglass would be a bit kinda sucky (anyone else agree?)
It does say "Loading..." at the top.
Maybe that needs to be bigger and flashing or something? ;-)
Old 28th February 2006, 19:51   #189
ujay
Forum King

@ Egg - Doesn't happen all the time, maybe it's OK if you have the Genre already cached or something. Let's see how it settles down. Fair point on the 'Loading ...'

UJ
Old 28th February 2006, 21:22   #190
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So.. no more comments about the recently applied changes?
(Note, that there's still more changes/improvements to come)

Would any of you who voted 'Hate It' now vote any differently?
Would it be valid for us to start a new poll?

All comments welcome.
Old 28th February 2006, 21:44   #191
VastOne

YES! I voted no and realized I did not spend enough time on it to give it a fair enough shot...

Now I am emphatically in favor of the update/new version ad would never go back..

Please start another poll and ask for more evaluation time and next level opinions...

VastOne
Old 28th February 2006, 21:45   #192
est79

Hate the new shoutcast

I was using version 5.0x up until today. Now I just wish I could go back. I am very disappointed in the new WinAMP 5.2. If I ever find another music program, I will try to switch to that. I really hate the new winamp.

When WINAMP is open, it is slow when clicking on just about anything. This includes the computer itself, winamp seems to take all the available memory. Shoutcast or that new online browser thingy is especially slow trying to look for radio stations and gives me script error on page most of the time. Sure it might be nice to "browse over 13,000 channels" if it ever gets that far. You must have it cached because I am on a FULL T1 (that's 1500 up and 1500 down).

The Media Library is uncustomizable. When you click on Shoutcast Radio, you only get the first 30 characters of a title. So when a radio station has a title that says:

"WELCOME TO THE BEST RADIO SHOW IN THE WORLD!!11! WE PLAY STUFF YOUR MOMMA DON'T WANT YOU TO HEAR!!!ONE111!"

And all you can see is "WELCOME TO THE BES".

Take D I G I T A L L Y I M P O R T E D for example. You can't see any of the specific music types they play. It may not be Nullsoft's fault that they make their name like that, but I USED to be able to see the whole name if I wanted to.

There are really only two things I do with winamp. Listen to my own music collections / CDs or listen using Shoutcast. Now that shoutcast doesn't work, why would I want another program that just slows down my computer? Glad I never paid for pro. I can imagine how upset those people are.

Last edited by est79; 28th February 2006 at 22:19.
Old 28th February 2006, 22:32   #193
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@est79
Re: 32 char limit (temporary stopgap implementation until we get Column Resizing)
Thankyou for not reading the read me first post.
I guess you also didn't note the tooltips on mouseover which reveal the full Name / NP (also a temp stopgap solution)

As for slowness... sorry, but we can't reproduce that, and some of us have got much slower connections than you claim to have.

Script Errors we can't reproduce either, so maybe you've got your Internet security settings on High, and probably need to add *.winamp.com and *.shoutcast.com to the Trusted Sites zone (assuming you do still trust us)?

@VastOne
Old 1st March 2006, 00:01   #194
bdg2

I voted "Hate It" but the only reason is that I can't see how I can quickly scroll though everything that's available. I used to do this with SHOUTCAST Radio, SHOUTCAST TV and AOL Radio to find new stations to try.

Also why does 5.2 always make my 5.25" floppy drive B: buzz when it starts up??
Old 1st March 2006, 03:00   #195
jcjs33jcjs
Banned

Winamp 5.2

i think i have 5.09...i was reluctant to get that but when i got message i didn't ask for saying it's highly recommended i get 5.2 i knew i best not get it...i hate AOL saddened AOL is behind Winamp...'AOL' as 'Asshole On Line' or something...updating anything these days from Winamp or Media Player is primarily , not to make the thing function better but to 'make money'..the product gives me the music i love and all the rest is AOL trying to suck peope's money away from them...John
Old 1st March 2006, 05:22   #196
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@jcjs33jcjs
Ahhh, resorting to trolling now. Lovely.
The obligatory 'blame aol' message, even though aol has owned winamp since 1999, and saved it from going under.
And this is coming from someone who doesn't even know how to uncheck "look for new versions on startup" in Winamp Prefs.
So is it just pure coincidence that the vast bulk of your posts are in a thread called "Winamp forums flooded with morons"?

@bdg2
Hmm, I'm really not sure what you meant, but there's only 20 XM Radio streams, and all the ~300 Sc-Tv streams are there right infront of you on load. There's a scrollbar down the right-hand side, just like there was before.
We can't let you view ALL the Sc-Radio streams by default, because there's now ~13,000 of them, and the server would melt if we allowed that, heh. But at least you can click "Top 500" and that then emulates the default 'on load' behaviour of the old Online Media section.

Re: 5.25" floppy drive
All I can say to that is "Wow! Is that some kind of 1980's thing or something?" hehe

Anyway... all that said and done, the next item on top of the priority list is column resizing... hopefully coming soon.
Old 1st March 2006, 05:34   #197
VastOne

DJ Egg...

At the risk of gettingsmacked for a non essential...

I am curious what thread my posts would be designated to...

Actually, I just wanted to say I think you are doing an excellent job here! It is a tough one and you have a patience level that warrants a raise!

VastOne
Old 1st March 2006, 09:27   #198
jcjs33jcjs
Banned

fuck you DJ asswipe...john
Old 1st March 2006, 09:34   #199
jcjs33jcjs
Banned

sure in know how to uncheck...Winamp hasn't improved anything basic to what i use Winamp for...there's no improvement for the needs i use it for...the other fellow who's looking for another alternative i suggest Quinessential (also much easier and friendlier 'service')and using 'Real Players V Tuner Plus' in tandom with RealPlayer (which i haven't updated in years for the same i won't up EggHead's beloved Winamp)...V-Tuner automatically puts you in touch with hundreds of stations all over the world...Egg i ain't no moron you belligerent prick..sweet dreams honey...john
Old 1st March 2006, 11:25   #200
Squashed

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
You can already sort by bitrate by clicking on the Bitrate column header.
@DJ Egg: Since a lot of users seem to oversee this (me included) I guess it would be a good idea to point that out by underlining (since it's a web page that is standard).

And: yes, I voted "Hate it" but now I'm calming down.
The improvements are notable; only left drawbacks for me are

1)The search speed. Why not caching the list between sessions and let the user refresh manually? Would save some bandwidth, too.

2)The really bad feeling from the need to allow IE to execute ActiveX and Javascript. Are both really necessary?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion