Hate it 178 64.26%
Its about the same to me 42 15.16%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 1st March 2006, 12:01   #201
sacharja

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
You might not care about the 12,000 stations with 0 to 20 listeners, but we do :/
I´m sure he meant an option, if the user wants to use the quick old search without IE, or if he wants to browse the stations. This has been said repeatedly here. And that´s all the angry users here want. What is so difficult to add such a setting and let the user choose (even with the compress methods I mentioned 3 times here)?

Quote:
Originally posted by Squashed 2)The really bad feeling from the need to allow IE to execute ActiveX and Javascript. Are both really necessary?
No, go to shoutcast.com (or v5.13) and you´ll see that it´s not.
Old 1st March 2006, 14:28   #202
VastOne

Send a message via Yahoo to VastOne
@ jcjs33jcjs

You have no class...no tact and you are probably only 12 or 13...

So, please try to be constructive if you are able to post here at all anymore... Personal attacks are rediculous and only done by cowards hiding behind anonimity...

VastOne
Old 1st March 2006, 14:55   #203
unknown-name

Would just like to mention that even though the layout still needs to be worked on, it is helping to do wonderful things for the less popular stations (especially the aac+ streams) that have not been listed for months due to the whole server overload thing.

I think it's fair to say that the whole change shocked people at first without actually taking the time to go through it all and figure it out. I'll admit myself that I had almost drawn a conclusion without fully roadtesting it.

Either way, good job to the quick response of the developers for listening to the public and doing the best they can.
Old 1st March 2006, 15:05   #204
Peppermonkey

Send a message via ICQ to Peppermonkey Send a message via AIM to Peppermonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Peppermonkey
My main complaint is that the search and sorting options are extremely limited or not even present.

I like the fact that I can see a lot more shoutcast stations, but I hate the fact that there is no sorting available.

If there's a way to do search-while-you-type AND have all the stations listed, I'd love it.

The more advanced the search is, the better. I don't like being limited.
Old 1st March 2006, 15:27   #205
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Squashed
@DJ Egg: Since a lot of users seem to oversee this (me included) I guess it would be a good idea to point that out by underlining (since it's a web page that is standard).

And: yes, I voted "Hate it" but now I'm calming down.
The improvements are notable; only left drawbacks for me are

1)The search speed. Why not caching the list between sessions and let the user refresh manually? Would save some bandwidth, too.

2)The really bad feeling from the need to allow IE to execute ActiveX and Javascript. Are both really necessary?
The old Online Media version didn't have a hand cursor, ie. it was the normal pointer, and you could just click on the column headers to sort by that column.

When the initial changes to the new OS listings were applied a couple of days ago, we still had the hand cursor appearing for all links, but it was decided to ditch that in favor of the standard pointer cursor, like it was before (much better, in most people's opinions, though we still need to get rid of the hand cursor for the rt-click context menu, heh).

Once we've got column resizing implemented (not easy, but it's being worked on) then it should become more obvious that you can click the column headers because then there'll be a visible separator inbetween them again.

I'm not sure about the search speeds. The results are cached by default. 1 hour is the default setting in Prefs > Online Services, even though I personally changed my setting to 'Never' because it's fast enough for me, and I get to see any changes almost in realtime with that setting, heh. Remember, you're now searching through the entire 13,000 strong Shoutcast directory, not just the top 500 to 1000 like it was before. And, as stated in the Update post, in 5.12 there'll be a new html compression method used which will vastly speed things up even more. It's all good, trust me/us.

If you're at all concerned about ActiveX and Javascript (they're not a bad thing, they're only bad when abused), and you don't use IE, then just add *.winamp.com and *.shoutcast.com to the Trusted Sites zone (assuming you still trust us) and then you can even set the Internet Zone to High, and the OS browser will still work perfectly.

And yes, if you see the attached screenshot in my first post in this thread, you can even edit ml_online.ini and add a link to shoutcast.com, so that it will display in Online Services . . . if you want.

@sacharja
It certainly isn't my decision as to whether there can be an option to use the old/flawed Online Media thing. Drewbar provided a link to the old gen_ml.dll as an option, for now. Note that the old Online Media listings for AOL and Winamp Music/Video only list the old NSV content, whereas the new Online Services also lists WMV content (probably more than twice as much content in total).
With the old Online Media module, to add new views like SingingFish and maybe MusicNow store and whatever other new Online Sevices might appear, we would still need to use the "look for new channels on exit" method. You may not be aware, but this was one of the most despised and problematic features of the old Online Media implementation. Search the forums to see just how many complaints there were about Winamp always trying to access the internet when you closed it, or not saving settings/not responding when you shutdown Windows with Winamp still running, etc.

Hey, I'm just a user like everyone else here, and hey, even I wasn't too happy with the original implementation of the Online Services module (you should've seen it before it went into the public 5.2 Beta, or maybe you didn't even see it once it went into the public Beta?), but I'm much much more happy with it now, and I wouldn't want to go back to the old one even if someone payed me (which they don't).

Anyway... we shall see.

Currently looking forward to the next batch of improvements/changes.
Old 1st March 2006, 15:29   #206
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Peppermonkey
My main complaint is that the search and sorting options are extremely limited or not even present.

I like the fact that I can see a lot more shoutcast stations, but I hate the fact that there is no sorting available.

If there's a way to do search-while-you-type AND have all the stations listed, I'd love it.

The more advanced the search is, the better. I don't like being limited.
No sorting options? What do you mean?
Have you not tried clicking the column headers?
You can sort by: Name | Now Playing | Type | Bitrate | Listeners.

It's all good
Old 1st March 2006, 21:57   #207
zola1

shoutcast radio browser very slow,unusable.
i click online services pages, winamp frezees 1-2 sec.

winamp 5.2 is stable version??
I always received message when I start winamp(5.1), today i download a new version. and?? worse..
anyway I reinstall older version..

plz fix online services bug!!!
Old 1st March 2006, 22:17   #208
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yay! New Shoutcast TV view, with column resizing. Looks & works sweet here.

Same changes should be applied to SC-Radio soon.

Comments/feedback welcome
Old 1st March 2006, 23:05   #209
VastOne

DJ Egg,

Can you check on something for me that I am having a horrible time with one of the other forums?

Will there ever be an oppertunity to right click on any URL anywhere....(Specifically those URL's found in Station Info) and be able to copy that URL and paste it in any other browser...This is obviously for us who refuse to use IE...

I appreciate it and apologize in advance for any cross posting issues...

VastOne
Old 2nd March 2006, 00:00   #210
ujay
Forum King

Very nice Egg, particularly like the character span readout

Something else of interest is the self centering of the bars within the pane. This allows things to be set up with a narrow strip of dead space down the side. Not only does this make things more readable, but also gives a continuous area that can be used to take focus without changing the current selection.

[edit] Just noticed I can't pick up the seperator between viewers and bitrate. Little tweak still needed ?

[And another thing ] Is the character limit on the genre string in the SI window by design ?

UJ

Last edited by ujay; 2nd March 2006 at 00:18.
Old 2nd March 2006, 00:28   #211
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
viewers | bitrates wont slide.. its already small enough
I'd make it slide, but the min would still be 4

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Old 2nd March 2006, 01:28   #212
sacharja

Quote:
@sacharja
It certainly isn't my decision as to whether there can be an option to use the old/flawed Online Media thing.
Yes, atm the old library dll is working, but I´m frightened when it won´t work some time. At all events I think it wouldn´t be so difficult to add this and this thread and most of the people would be satisfied. A setting would be elegant and btw I like the new look and maybe the (useful) features coming in future

Quote:

(you should've seen it before it went into the public 5.2 Beta, or maybe you didn't even see it once it went into the public Beta?...
Honestly I took a look at it in Beta, but all I got was a script error and an empty page, so I thought this is a known beta bug and downgraded.

Whatever I just wanted to say that ya all do a great job. From what I´ve recognized since I´m here Nullsoft is very concerned about the user´s opinion. And they don´t take it personally (mostly) if we sometimes don´t like something (I like the humor "post an angry message in the forums" )
Old 2nd March 2006, 02:41   #213
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
viewers | bitrates wont slide.. its already small enough
I'd make it slide, but the min would still be 4
Default is fine by me then. Thanks

UJ
Old 2nd March 2006, 03:01   #214
JavaJones

The changes being made are very promising and the devs deserve kudos for that, although I still feel strongly that these kinds of usability kings should/could have been worked out in beta. DJ Egg also should be commended for his patience here.

But let's be clear, most of the people complaining earlier on in this thread were not simply shouting about nothing, giving knee-jerk reactions, etc. Perhaps some didn't see the initial public implementation of the 5.2 browser but it really was a huge, huge downgrade from the 5.13 native browser. Things are much better now, just a few days later, and that speaks very well for the dev team's responsiveness, just be careful judging the posted opinions of others further up the thread - remember you're looking at a significantly improved version from what they/we were commenting on to begin with.

- Oshyan
Old 2nd March 2006, 04:21   #215
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:

If you're at all concerned about ActiveX and Javascript (they're not a bad thing, they're only bad when abused), and you don't use IE, then just add *.winamp.com and *.shoutcast.com to the Trusted Sites zone (assuming you still trust us) and then you can even set the Internet Zone to High, and the OS browser will still work perfectly.
While I argee with you for folks using 2000 or XP, but in some older versions of Windows, I'm fairly certain that just running IE is a hazard.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
Old 2nd March 2006, 04:31   #216
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Running older versions of Windows is a hazard, period.

[Edit]

I meant more in the sense that Win9x is a totally retarded system ;-)
Old 2nd March 2006, 10:34   #217
sacharja

Quote:
Running older versions of Windows is a hazard, period.
Till now there´s no worm/virus that can compromise Win9x by only connecting to your ISP like Sasser in WinXP.
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:02   #218
colorspace

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
Pycckèé Ctahäapt Neat!
Learning Russian?
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:43   #219
{_trueparuex^}

Yeah actually win98/ME is much more secure than XP or win2k. Simply because it still gets security patches and most of the new viruses doesn't even work in 9x versions.

But it's different case after June 06 when MS will stop all support for 98/ME versions.

On topic
The changes is starting to show in poll. Love it votes is slowly increasing and catching Hate it votes, but despite of the changes (and the plans) I would still vote Hate it, because it still is terribly slow to use even though I am using 1MB connection. The old one was sometimes slow too when downloading the lis, but after the list was loaded you didn't need to wait couple seconds after any sort or colunm resize. The truth is that, no matter how much you try the web interface isn't ever going to be good as the old one was.
Old 2nd March 2006, 14:29   #220
Peppermonkey

Send a message via ICQ to Peppermonkey Send a message via AIM to Peppermonkey Send a message via Yahoo to Peppermonkey
Quote:
No sorting options? What do you mean?
Have you not tried clicking the column headers?
You can sort by: Name | Now Playing | Type | Bitrate | Listeners.

It's all good
Yeah, I found that shortly after I posted this.

Now I feel dumb.

The genre would be nice to have in the columns as well.
Old 2nd March 2006, 14:41   #221
VastOne

Do not feel bad Pepper...I think we all missed it..When they get a rollover with them mouse, that will help

VastOne
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:31   #222
hate5.2
Banned

hi all

I see winamp fix problems.. thanks! today shoutcast services much better!
but still incredible slow..
I hope winamp fix it soon!
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:39   #223
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, there's a problem with winamp.com itself at the moment. So as soon as that's fixed, then the Online Services will be fast again (well, as fast as they can be...
for now, until the http compression stuff comes your way in 5.12 and maybe we work out a method to speed up the re-rendering eg. on 'sort by' and 'column resize').

Next up are the configurable options... hopefully coming before the weekend.

Getting there now, yes?

/me goes to recover from near mental breakdown
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:13   #224
George Worley

Re: 5.2 shoutcast browser poll

Quote:
Originally posted by IllBugYou
so what does everyone think of the new shoutcast browser
This is the worst upgrade to WinAmp that I have every seen. Sure it has fancy ICONS -- BIG WOO but I am very disappointed in the proformance and the ability to find anything at all.
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:39   #225
hate5.2
Banned

winamp 5.2 too early stable release, rather seems beta.

winamp music terrible, crash winamp when i try play video.
why use ie?? why not build own built-in webbrowser?

Error msg:
"A runtime error has occu... do you wish debug?
line: 367
error: oject expected"
-->and winamp crashed.
Old 2nd March 2006, 21:06   #226
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

???? ????? ?????
Old 2nd March 2006, 21:10   #227
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
why not build own built-in webbrowser?
Because the size of the installer would grow, and then other people will cry, that Winamp is bloated.
Old 2nd March 2006, 23:28   #228
George Worley

I just installed version 5.2 was an upgrade from 5.1111. First it wiped out all playlists. Secondly under online services was blank so I had no access to Shoutcast Radio/TV, AOL Radio/Video's, WinAmp Music, etc... I uninstalled WinAmp 5.2. Deleted \Program files\winamp and \document and settings\%user name%\application data\winamp. Re-installed from scratch. Now have items in Online Services but WinAmp doesn't play alot of the items under WinAmp Music. In fact WinAmp goes south no error except when I force close WinAmp through task manager. Most of the time WinAmp is using about 80 precent of the CPU. All of the AOL originated music will not play.

I cannot get it to play any video now. It simply goes "Not Responding" in Task Manager with memory useage about 85 meg. Back to the prevous version.

Thank you,

George Worley

Last edited by George Worley; 2nd March 2006 at 23:45.
Old 3rd March 2006, 02:56   #229
Attack Ion

Yeah ... what he said !

But really - I've given it a few days and tried to get over the "change" but it's just simply too painful. Going back to 5.13 --> disappointed
Old 3rd March 2006, 03:32   #230
VastOne

CPU Maxed...Question

Is it possible that the Predexis Musicmagic is doing something even though it is "off" out of the box?

The only time I see that kind of CPU utilization is when I amke a change to the MusicMagic settings and it does its thing...on the first time starting it afterwards...

Speaking of MusicMagic, what is the opinion so far of it?

Off subject...

Quote:
Originally posted by Attack Ion
Yeah ... what he said !

In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates !
Stolen.....!!i love it...

VastOne
Old 3rd March 2006, 03:35   #231
VastOne

Installer size ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
Because the size of the installer would grow, and then other people will cry, that Winamp is bloated.
I disagree Koopa, in an age of highspeed give me give me...
I don't think installer or application size is an issue any more...

I like the idea of using open source as code for a built-in web browser...no royalties and no headaches

VastOne

Old 3rd March 2006, 03:37   #232
VastOne

Furthermore..

One other point on the browser subject, there was not these issues before ActiveX was introduced....

Hmmmm, makes one wonder....

VastOne

Old 3rd March 2006, 06:40   #233
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
There is not activex used beyond XML dom. No different than Google Maps.