Old 1st October 2006, 05:07   #161
TheUniqueTiger

I'd like to point out a few points...
1. The RG scanning (for MP3 especially) is slower than that with the last 5.25 beta. (Since I used it for about 100 MP3s I know the difference) I think its got to do sth with the update for faster RG scanning for MP3s.

2. When you open File info box for a MP3, and you click Cancel to dismiss it, the PL display for that entry is not updated but similar for Ogg updates the display. (Noted when applied RG to many files at once... My ATF shows RG data too. When I opened & dismissed File info for MP3s, no change in display title in PL but for Oggs the title then included the RG data too.)

3. Till the last 5.25 beta, if RG was applied to the file being played, the RG (change in volume) would come into effect immediately. (One could appreciate the sudden change in volume of the file being played) But in 5.3 even if RG is applied to the file being played, it continues at the same volume & then on the next play it adjusts the volume. (In short volume adjusting takes place at the start of a track & not effected immediately when RG is applied to the file being played) Reverting this behavior to the previous style (as in the last beta) would be good.

4. For WMA files, if a WMA file is being played & its RG scanning is started..Then pause the playback... Now apply RG to the WMA file (Save RG data)... The WMA file playback starts playing from the paused position by itself!!!
Unpausing a WMA file after appling RG seems to be a bug. This behavior not seen with MP3 & Ogg.

Otherwise a great release!!!

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
Old 1st October 2006, 09:46   #162
byblo

Unicode titles never appear correctly, just get ?????? chars.
Old 1st October 2006, 09:59   #163
Gilgamesh83

Yo! First off before i start rambling about bugs an stuff I wanna thank the developers of the program I use every day every minute :P

But here we go...

* "There is now a fixed ml_local.dll available separately, which fixes a couple of bugs." Tried it and it still shows -1 on transcoded files where the track field is empty.

* When transcoding from mp3->flac->mp3 the flac saves track number but it doesn't show in the tag info box and when transcoded the -1 problem occurs. How i know that the flac saves track info is because i use a plugin in total commander that shows tag info on various formats including flac by using the internal viewer.

* The new in_flac.dll config->general menu if you box the "Read ID3v1 tags" it does not save it after pressin ok.
Don't know if this is a problem since previous versions.

* When going to the rg menu and choose to enable rg the volume of winamp goes down a bit and I don't even use rg on my mp3z or any other format files that I have.

My system setup is:
Windows Xp Pro Sp2
Winamp 5.3 clean (updated ml_local and in_mp3) and installed winamp essentials. Using out_wave and have all but one box checked in playback->audio wich is mono, no rg enabled.
Old 1st October 2006, 10:52   #164
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@TheUniqueTiger

1. The slightly slower rg scan for mp3's is due to a 64bit internal precision fix in in_mp3. In 5.25beta, this was broken and was actually set to 32bit internal precision. Maybe it can be optimized again, we shall see...

2. Yes, the atf/titles update in the playlist for ogg files even when you click cancel or the x in the Vorbis Editor. This isn't 5.3-specific and has been like this for quite a while due to a previous in_vorbis bugfix (related to non-blocking info editor bugfix, somewhere inbetween v5.1x and 5.22). The lesser of two evils maybe?

3. I think it depends on the file format. I don't think mp3 or m4a ever updated in realtime after applying RG, but maybe ogg or flac did/do... not sure. As for wma, it probably updates in pseudo-realtime because it has to be (and is) paused & restarted/resumed for any metadata changes to take effect.

4. Yup. Welcome to wma ;-) I think this is by design (a similar method is used when you just update the tags for a playing wma - winamp pauses it then resumes playback from paused position).

@ byblo
Please read the notes in the first post. Maybe related?

@Gilgamesh83

All of ml_transcode, in_flac and enc_flac are not included with the default Winamp distribution. The plugins included with the Winamp Essentials pack are not officially supported. We know there's problems with in_flac, which is one of the reasons why it wasn't ready yet to include in the Winamp distribution.
Quote:
When going to the rg menu and choose to enable rg the volume of winamp goes down a bit and I don't even use rg on my mp3z or any other format files that I have
As referenced in the Notes in the first post in the thread, this is due to the "adjustment for files without ReplayGain" preamp slider setting. The default value is -6dB. What this means is that -6dB will be applied to all files without any rg info. To circumvent this you would need to increase the value somewhere closer to 0dB.
Old 1st October 2006, 11:31   #165
byblo

Yes it was due to the "use library title info for playlist item formatting" which was checked. Thanks.
Old 1st October 2006, 11:51   #166
Gilgamesh83

Thanks for the reply DJ Egg now I know :P

Keep up the excellent work guys.
Old 1st October 2006, 13:47   #167
biggercrap

Hi, installed v5.3 today. Playlist able to display unicode character in playlist, but not on the player itself (with no changes in setting). Is this a bug?
Old 1st October 2006, 14:56   #168
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
I don't think mp3 or m4a ever updated in realtime after applying RG, but maybe ogg or flac did/do... not sure.
In fact after about 100 or so files scanned for RG, I remember MP3s are the ones which take immediate effect while playing & OTOH Ogg might not be similar in this regard.

But that title update thing after dismissing the File info box is definitely possible (the Ogg one is better) & I hope its done in the near future.

I think that like a recheck for the directories for Music files after a certain period of time, I think there should be a similar feature (customizable, of course) for PL and/or ML.

Anyway thanks for help!
Old 1st October 2006, 16:41   #169
pvdh

Erros in New Version

Hello,

after Update from winamp 5.24 to 5.3 I have a lot of problems. And can't start winamp.

in Modul IN_MP3.DLL bei 018f:020018ba.

with new update:
in Modul IN_MP3.DLL bei 018f:0200190a

IN_WM.DLL bei 018f:01239d7e
IN_MP4.DLL bei 018f:012e2d17
IN_MP3.DLL bei 018f:0200190a
ML_LOCAL.DLL bei 018f:0198d427
ML_PLAYLISTS.DLL bei 018f:0198117e

with new Update:
ML_LOCAL.DLL bei 018f:01a9d40f

With a downgrade I get other similar Errorcodes. Before Update Winamp runs without problems.

System: P3 500 Mhz, 512 MB RAM

P. S. With a complete Deletion of WINAMP and then run as clean installation the same error.

Last edited by pvdh; 1st October 2006 at 18:43.
Old 1st October 2006, 17:10   #170
alex_gamer

is winamp dashboard an idea from the winamp dev team?

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
Old 1st October 2006, 19:19   #171
MertcanKaya1991

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
Yeah, someone already posted this in the forums.

You can always see the whole changelog in the installed whatsnew.txt, using your favorite text editor.
That was me
Old 1st October 2006, 19:22   #172
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

pvdh:

You should post in technical support next time.

Try a clean install, so many erors are sure no valid Winamp bugs.

If this doesn't work provide more informations about your system, otherwise nobody can help you.
Old 1st October 2006, 19:28   #173
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I couldn't reproduce it anyway. I just installed Winamp 5.3 on my old p3 500MHz running Win98SE and it runs perfectly, no errors whatsoever. The only things I unchecked in the installer options were Sonic Burning Support (no cd burner on that old machine) & PlaysForSure PMP Support (no p4s devices, and doesn't even load on anything less than WinXP sp1 anyway).

Yup, you should post in Tech Support, but be sure to read this first

(provide hjt & my_plugin_list.txt logs)
Old 2nd October 2006, 03:21   #174
Shadowtech

Hmm... I've got a clean install of v5.3 pro (with the essential plugins pack) and I'm still getting the massive CPU spike when starting up Winamp. It can last 15-20 seconds, sometimes longer, at 100% CPU usage. Not really sure what's causing it, though. As I posted previously, I thought it was from an outside (3rd party) plugin, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Best guess is that it's something in the essential pack because there's no spike with a fully clean install. Once I install the pack, the spike returns.
Old 2nd October 2006, 03:38   #175
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The DLL's included with Winamp Essentials pack are:
enc_flac, gen_find_on_disk, gen_killpredixis, gen_nopro, gen_skinsubmenu, gen_undo, in_flac, ml_lite_n, ml_transcode (all in Winamp\Plugins dir) and alac.w5s (in Winamp\System dir).

Note, although it's posted in this thread, none of the plugins in the essentials pack are officially supported. But yeah, see if you can work out which one of them causes the cpu spike. I've got them all installed except for killpredixis, 'cos I never install predixis anyway, heh.
Old 2nd October 2006, 04:04   #176
alex_gamer

i thought that predixis was not going to be in 5.25/5.3. what happened?

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
Old 2nd October 2006, 05:23   #177
Shadowtech

Okay, I went through and removed those DLLs one at a time, opening Winamp each time after removing 1 DLL. After removing the gen_nopro.dll, the CPU spike stopped. Here's the strange thing: I then moved the gen_nopro.dll back into the plugins folder... and the spike didn't return. So, just to double-check, I moved all the other DLLs back into the plugins folder. I re-opened Winamp, and again quite strangely enough there's no CPU spike. Baffling, to say the least.
Old 2nd October 2006, 06:57   #178
Reaper
Forum King

I'm having issues playing certain MP3s with 5.3. The This Week in Tech podcasts do not work for me in 5.3, but they do work fine in 5.24 and in other players. The seek bar and timer advance but no sound comes out. It has also happened in some other files that I have, not just the podcasts.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:44   #179
EmuChicken

"Unicode titles never appear correctly, just get ?????? chars."

... you need to change the font to one that supports unicode (you can change it in the settings)

I dont think you should advertise winamp for supporting unicode, its nowhere near full support. If you load a song with a japanese name into the media player, it should at least play the file- but it doesnt read the file at all (just skips it) - this is the only thing thats really annoying me - I cant play all the songs I want easily with winamp :/
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:49   #180
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

What has file skipping to do with unicode?? I guess you need technical support.

If a player doesn't support Unicode, it just shows ??? instead of the letters.

I've tested Winamp with chinese and russian files and it works fine.

Nobody said that Winamp fully supports unicode yet, from the main site:

"New! Unicode filename and title support"

That the library and the taskbar text still don't support unicode, you can see in the sticky threads, or in the notes in the first post in this thread.

Last edited by Koopa; 2nd October 2006 at 11:47.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:42   #181
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Provide us with a link to a zipped sample unicode file which Winamp 5.3 doesn't play.
Old 2nd October 2006, 11:52   #182
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Reaper

Hmm, the Twit71 podcast plays ok for me.
However, even though it shows as 46:06 in the pledit/main windows,
it says "Length: 0 seconds" and "64kbit, approx. 0 frames" in the File Info box,
so yeah, I can see there being a problem there....

There's a bit of a pause before playback starts, but it does play.
There's also a bit of a delay before the File Info box appears (Alt+3).

Encspot says: mpeg 1.0 layer 3 (mp3), 64kbps cbr, mono, 44.1KHz, encoder guess: FhG (fastenc or mp3enc), no xing header, CRC's: yes, no sync errors/bad frames.

Please also confirm that you're using the updated in_mp3 linked to in the Updates section of the first post.
Old 2nd October 2006, 13:39   #183
Reaper
Forum King

@Egg:

Sorry, I found the problem. I had "Allow 24-bit" enabled from when I was playing around with it a few days ago. Thanks for the updated in_mp3 link, I didn't notice that.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 2nd October 2006, 14:12   #184
unknown-name

2 queries..

[1]

(Sorry if this has been mentioned already)

The Visualization/EQ Grapgh
does not go all the way across ( / show the treble side properly) when listening to any stream or mp3 file.

From memory this problem used to exist (only with AAC+ streams I think), and then was fixed, and now seems to be back again in this version, unless it's some setting I did..

This bug is back (well maybe not so much a bug, more an issue)?

[2]
Is there any difference in audio quality with MPEG Audio Decoder 4.0 compared to 3.5 (besides 24bit)?
Old 2nd October 2006, 14:25   #185
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Is there any difference in audio quality with MPEG Audio Decoder 4.0 compared to 3.5
Not sure, which in_mp3 version was bundled with 5.2 (3.5 or 3.6?), but the differences are:

- gapless playback
- replaygain support
- crippled fast layer 3 EQ isn't checked by default anymore (in_mp3 uses now the same global EQ like the other input plug-ins)

You should also read this, there you can find more infos about other improvements, which are made in the time between Winamp 5.24 and 5.3.

Last edited by Koopa; 2nd October 2006 at 14:46.
Old 2nd October 2006, 14:43   #186
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

It depends on the quality/loudness of the mp3.
If it's low, then the spectrum vis peaks will be lower.
It also depends on whether you've lowered the preamp slider in the EQ
(the graph/peaks will increase when you increase the preamp slider value).
But basically, at 0dB, the vis is an accurate true representation.

[re: reply below]
It's not a plugin, it's part of the core, in winamp.exe
And yes, there has been a fair few tweaks made since 5.2x :-)
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:01   #187
unknown-name

Actually, it is different, just tested it (comparing Winamp 5.3 to 5.21).

With 5.21, the graph only measures frequencies up to around 12.5KHz, whereas 5.3 measures up to around 22.050KHz (which of course makes 12.5KHz somewhere around the middle of the graph), so I'm guessing this is more of a conscious decision by whoever created the plugin rather than a bug.

Cheers Koopatrooper & DJ Egg for the speedy replies.

Oh, and this version has also fixed the bookmark delay that existed in 5.22-5.24. yayy!
Old 2nd October 2006, 15:24   #188
priestlyboy

Send a message via AIM to priestlyboy Send a message via Yahoo to priestlyboy
Ah finally out of beta. My old P2 (used to run win95 for 10 yrs!) which runs Win98SE was having problems running the previous two betas. Whatever changed in the final version made it work beautifully now.
Thanks guys.

EDIT: Note this is the old family computer. I have a better one but I'm moving back to my parents place and my brother has been taking forever to send me my stuff.

~Priestlyboy
Old 2nd October 2006, 19:19   #189
TheUniqueTiger

Quote:
With 5.21, the graph only measures frequencies up to around 12.5KHz, whereas 5.3 measures up to around 22.050KHz (which of course makes 12.5KHz somewhere around the middle of the graph), so I'm guessing this is more of a conscious decision by whoever created the plugin rather than a bug.
Ya but its also seen that the extremely lower frequencies (20~200) where most of the beats were represented before have disappeared. Why not show the whole audible spectrum (20-20000Hz) on the vis? I'm sure this has been discussed before & there was a post about removing bass bias but now it looks like the beats which were earlier on the first one/two bars are no longer there. (& I miss them)
Old 2nd October 2006, 19:43   #190
pvdh

Hello,

many thank for response.

I think I must make a reinstallation of win98SE, to solve my problem or look if now a conflict with a other program.

Have a nice day

Peter
Old 2nd October 2006, 20:56   #191
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Added filereader.w5s to the Updates section in first post
(file is missing from the installer, heh).
Old 2nd October 2006, 22:49   #192
inSaner

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread...
Old 3rd October 2006, 03:35   #193
pile0nades

Problem with Dashboard. When I open it, I get an IE script error, I would like to turn those off, how? I have "Display a notification about every script error" unchecked in IE advanced settings.

Also, the Dashboard is a nice Netvibes clone. But is there a way to make it have more than 2 columns?

Also, I clicked the link in the Station Info window while listening a Shoutcast stream and it opened in IE. This should be fixed to use the default browser.

And now, a complement. I love how when you download and install a new skin while playing a song, it doesn't stop playing! That is just beautiful!

http://pile0nades.wordpress.com/

Last edited by pile0nades; 3rd October 2006 at 06:14.
Old 3rd October 2006, 09:47   #194
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Hmm, I thought it was set to use default browser for external links now?
Perhaps those changes arent rolled out across all pages.

Old 3rd October 2006, 13:56   #195
ujay
Forum King

Not seeing that in either of the browser windows I have - Online sevices and Station Info. Both open external links in IE regardless.

UJ
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:21   #196
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
In that case you are clicking a link within IE, so it will always open with IE.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 3rd October 2006, 21:50   #197
W-Tiggeh

Hmm... I updated Winamp with the 3 files provided in this topic, and I still get ??? s in the taskbar.

OS: Windows XP SP2 with Asian Languages support installed
Winamp: 5.3
Attached Images
File Type: png shotx.png (36.3 KB, 371 views)
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:00   #198
DrO

i can't find the post at the moment in the 5.25 beta thread but it's a known issue and there is no fix for the time being.

-daz
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:03   #199
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=256207#notes
It's in the first post of this thread

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Old 3rd October 2006, 22:05   #200
DrO

damn, i knew i shouldn't have skim read the thread *shrugs* and goes to get his eyes tested

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion