Old 16th October 2006, 14:33   #281
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The "Disc" entry was added in the this release (5.3a), same with "Album Artist" (5.3).

Preliminary ID3v2.4 support is there and will be finnished in a future release.

[Edit]Hi Egg
Old 16th October 2006, 14:33   #282
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, Album Artist, Disc & Album/Track Gain are all new to the ID3v2 section of the MP3 Editor in 5.3 + update pack (Disc was added to in_mp3 v4.01 from the Update Pack).

Disc field should have a single integer such as 1 (or: 2, 3, 4, 12, etc)
or: Disc x of x, eg. 1/2, 2/2, etc.

[Edit] Doh! Too slow again :-)
Old 17th October 2006, 22:53   #283
Blaubaer

Send a message via ICQ to Blaubaer Send a message via AIM to Blaubaer Send a message via Yahoo to Blaubaer
Hello!

Is it somehow possible to see the replaygain values in the media library? at the moment it's easy to get confused which files already have replaygain data and which still need to be scanned.

maybe a new column could be added to the album list in the ML showing the album gain (if present)?
Old 18th October 2006, 18:00   #284
amano
Major Dude

It would be neat, but it is not possible yet. Maybe that will be done for a future release.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 18th October 2006, 19:52   #285
l_p_4_7

I am having a problem with Lame 3.97 VBR APX MP3s showing incorrect track lengths that change throughout the playback of the file(s).

I am using a clean install of Winamp 5.3 with the update pack (in_mp3.dll v4.01) and have no additional plug-ins installed. My machine is WinXP Pro SP2.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 18th October 2006, 20:34   #286
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

And you ripped these files with Winamp, or with some other app?
If the latter, then which app, and if a commandline app, then what commandline/switches did you use?

It suggests that the LAME header is messed up...

Do you see "mp3 has been modified from its original encoding" under the MPEG Info section of the Tag Editor (Alt+3)?

Any chance of a link to a zipped sample file?
Old 18th October 2006, 21:56   #287
l_p_4_7

I used Easy CD-DA Extractor and selected LAME VBR V0 which I think is a newer version of APX.

I don't see "mp3 has been modified from its original encoding" in the MPEG info box.

Link
Old 18th October 2006, 21:58   #288
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by l_p_4_7
I used Easy CD-DA Extractor and selected LAME VBR V0 which I think is a newer version of APX.

I don't see "mp3 has been modified from its original encoding" in the MPEG info box.

Link
Do you by chance have 'show average bitrate' turned on in the in_mp3 config?
Old 18th October 2006, 22:01   #289
l_p_4_7

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
Do you by chance have 'show average bitrate' turned on in the in_mp3 config?
No, but I tried it both selected and deselected and it does the same thing. Interestingly, if I look at the song in the Playlist editor it displays the correct length (3:31), but in the Winamp main window the length changes every few seconds.
Old 18th October 2006, 23:58   #290
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I can't get crappy rapidshare to work. Please use sendspace.com instead.
Old 19th October 2006, 00:11   #291
l_p_4_7

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uq7mex
Old 19th October 2006, 01:25   #292
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, it seems to play fine here.
The time display is accurate/constant/correct in the main window.
The only slight weirdness I see with it is when using Time Remaining display instead of Time Elapsed, where it starts counting down from approx 4:02 (actual length is 3:31), then after a few seconds it catches up and shows the correct remaining time...
which does actually suggest that there could be a problem.
But I can't reproduce the problem you say you're having. Anyone else?
Old 19th October 2006, 03:02   #293
ujay
Forum King

Some sort of junk in the ID3v2 tag by the look of it.

Cut the first 26337 bytes off the file and re-do the tag should set things straight.

UJ
Old 19th October 2006, 04:07   #294
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I can see a WCOM frame for commercial url (pointing to the album on amazon) and an embedded jpg (album art / APIC frame), or were you referring to some other junk?

It's actually because the id3v2 tag is bigger than 16k, and is therefore causing the LAME Header to be ignored on playback, which then causes the problem I was seeing (time remaining inaccurate at start of playback, and slight jerkiness on seek).

This bug has now been fixed internally. Thanks.

Also note that it's possible that the issue you are experiencing (l_p_4_7) had already been fixed (somewhere inbetween the in_mp3 available in the Update Pack and the one in the current internal beta), which is why I wasn't seeing that same behaviour.
Old 20th October 2006, 23:07   #295
BugMaster

Winamp crash

Winamp with updated in_mp3.dll (this or from Update Pack) crashes after such actions:
1) download attached file
2) extract archive to some directory
3) run makecopies.bat (with 1 file it crashes rarely)
4) open this dir in winamp

I know that the problem is ID3v2 tag (because disabling it reading helps), but with old in_mp3.dll this file plays normally.

P.S. Also this file freeze any DirectShow player.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug.zip (13.9 KB, 501 views)
Old 20th October 2006, 23:55   #296
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
You dont even need to put 20 copies of it in the playlist. just one causes an ntdll.dll crash.
Old 21st October 2006, 06:01   #297
opozoid

I noticed the new ReplayGain implementation in Winamp v5.3. Yeah, I just noticed there was a new Winamp today, heh. Something that is absolutely essential for me is the ability to add an additional gain to already-replaygained files. So under Opts>Playback there should be an entry "Adjustment for files WITH Replay Gain". Basically, the whole replaygain implementation which was found in the previous Ogg Vorbis input plugin should be implemented in the new global RG, including the ability to use a 6db hard limiter for example. Are there any plans to do this?

I guess I'm back to 5.24 for now.
Old 21st October 2006, 13:32   #298
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
including the ability to use a 6db hard limiter for example. Are there any plans to do this?
I guess the hard limiter is still present in in_vorbis, the option is just invisible, because it's hard coded to be always active.
Old 21st October 2006, 13:40   #299
MasterViVi

My two cents about Winamp 5.3 (with update pack):
- reports inaccurately length of certain mp3's. Also can't pick a certain location of a file (doesn't pick the right location / skips to the next song). I'm currently noticing it on my new rips (EAC / Lame 3.97 -v2 -new-vbr). These play fine in any other application. <--- really annoying, heh.
I think I noticed it on my older (EAC / Lame 3.96 -196) rips too, but I can't confirm for now.
edit: yep, also on those older mp3's; wasn't like that on previous winamp versions. Probably the same problem that was mentioned above.

- Duplicates in the media library for some, nothing special-about-them files (always complete albums though). Restarting Winamp makes all okay again (so I don't really care about this bug, just reporting).

For all the rest; great work, another excellent release.

But, oh, I fucking hate flash ads with sound. Always nice to hear some crap playing while Winamp is also playing. =(

Last edited by MasterViVi; 21st October 2006 at 14:07.
Old 21st October 2006, 16:39   #300
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterViVi

- reports inaccurately length of certain mp3's.
Can you confirm, that you've installed the update pack? This should have been fixed in the newer in_mp3.
Quote:
But, oh, I fucking hate flash ads with sound.
Benski said, that they will talk to their partners, so that this issue should be fixed soon.
Old 21st October 2006, 18:59   #301
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Updated in_mp3.dll available
http://stashbox.org/2168/in_mp3.dll

This fixes the following 5.3/5.3a-specific issues:
-Lame header ignored when ID3v2 tag is greater than 16kb
-An ID3v2.4 per-frame unsynchronization bug (BugMaster's bug above)
-Crash when modifying ID3v2.4 tags with UTF-8 data
-And possibly some other minor fixes...

Please confirm that all reported issues are now fixed.
Old 21st October 2006, 19:19   #302
opozoid

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
I guess the hard limiter is still present in in_vorbis, the option is just invisible, because it's hard coded to be always active.
Very nice. This was actually just a minor concern of mine anyways. I'll keep my fingers crossed and eyes glued to the changelogs about the other option - preamp for files WITH replaygain.
Old 21st October 2006, 19:26   #303
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The hard limiter option in in_vorbis was totally removed.
The general populus was that we were very anti hard limiter ;-)

Why not just remove the RG info if you're not going to use it, and set preamp to -6dB in Prefs > Playback (which is already enabled/set by default) for non-RG'ed files?
Old 21st October 2006, 19:36   #304
BugMaster

Thanks, DJ Egg.
Now, all files play correctly.
Old 21st October 2006, 20:00   #305
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

I'll probably just write a volume booster / hard limiter DSP plugin for those that really want it. The limiter was taken out of in_vorbis because its audio quality left a bit to be desired.
Old 21st October 2006, 20:58   #306
alexjoey

new in_mp3 doesn't yet appear in Guest

does this could be more the winamp 5.3 program than this in_mp3.dll ?
Luckily, mine and sister's sessions are administrators so no problem to enjoy mp3 streams with winamp : but it's not normal.
Old 21st October 2006, 21:56   #307
MasterViVi

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

This fixes the following 5.3/5.3a-specific issues:
-Lame header ignored when ID3v2 tag is greater than 16kb
-An ID3v2.4 per-frame unsynchronization bug (BugMaster's bug above)
-Crash when modifying ID3v2.4 tags with UTF-8 data
-And possibly some other minor fixes...

Please confirm that all reported issues are now fixed.
Tested quickly with two files;
- Lame 3.96 file plays fine.
- Lame 3.97 plays better, but still reports innacurate length and skips to next song when seeking to 90% of track or above.

Now I gotta go, I'll check more files later. =)
Old 21st October 2006, 22:02   #308
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

lame_enc 3.97 comes with Winamp 5.3, and I don't have any problems with any ripped or transcoded files.

What ripper/settings are you using?
Please zip up and upload a sample file to sendspace.com and post a link here.
Old 21st October 2006, 22:43   #309
MasterViVi

Scrap that latest, Winamp is even more waaaay off (reports of 12min for a 4min file, heh, but it's variable and changes throughout the song).

I use EAC (0.95b3) with secure ripping mode. LAME v3.97 final with

code:
-V 2 --vbr-new

ID-parameters are:

code:
--add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

The tracknumber is written in the comment field. Only other special option I can think of is the EAC-default "use a padding of '4kB' for ID3v2".

For a sample, I can't help you with that. I tried convering a .wav to .mp3 with EAC, but it plays fine in Winamp, so I guess it's the ID3-stuff that's causing all the problem. My personal cd-rips, I won't upload, sorry.
Old 21st October 2006, 22:58   #310
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Scrap that latest, Winamp is even more waaaay off (reports of 12min for a 4min file, heh, but it's variable and changes throughout the song).

I use EAC (0.95b3) with secure ripping mode. LAME v3.97 final with

code:
-V 2 --vbr-new

ID-parameters are:

code:
--add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

The tracknumber is written in the comment field. Only other special option I can think of is the EAC-default "use a padding of '4kB' for ID3v2".

For a sample, I can't help you with that. I tried convering a .wav to .mp3 with EAC, but it plays fine in Winamp, so I guess it's the ID3-stuff that's causing all the problem. My personal cd-rips, I won't upload, sorry.
In the "External Compressor" tab, do you have "Add ID3 tag" checked? From the looks of your setup, it seems that perhaps both LAME and EAC are adding ID3v2 tags, which would explain why Winamp is unable to find the LAME header (there'd be another ID3v2 tag where it's supposed to go!

Edit: the MP3 you provided is double-tagged, which would explain the problem. Turn off "Add ID3 Tag" in EAC. The LAME compressor is already adding an ID3 tag for you.
Old 21st October 2006, 23:14   #311
MasterViVi

Err... is okay for future rips, thanks, but is there anyway to get rid of the double tags somehow? Also, other players don't seem affected by them.
Old 21st October 2006, 23:41   #312
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Err... is okay for future rips, thanks, but is there anyway to get rid of the double tags somehow? Also, other players don't seem affected by them.
I've added a workaround for these kinds of files, so 5.31 will be able to play them back perfectly.
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:09   #313
opozoid

@ Benski: I personally don't really care about the hard limiter. I just tended to raise the preamp on RG'd files some and thought it was doing something good. I was probably wrong though, as I never compared output with/without. Getting rid of it is probably a good thing.

@ DJ Egg: Actually, I always use RG; have been for years. I don't wish to live without it. The reason I wish to have a preamp for RG'd files is that I also love the Ozone DSP, and I have spent a lot of time tweaking the bass compression to my liking, given that a certain sound level is being fed to it from the input plugins. Not being able to control the RG preamp screws this all up. I have Winamp v5.24 set to do this correctly as the only file types I play are Vorbis, Musepack, and FLAC, all of which support(ed) RG in the input plugin, and also support preamp for RG'd files. I guess the other reason I like preamp control is that the music is roughly as loud as other system sounds. I hate it when I'm listening to music with my headphones on, and then my computer alerts me (extremely loudly) that I have new email.
Old 22nd October 2006, 02:17   #314
BugMaster

Can anybody from Winamp Dev Team (Benski ?) tell me what changed in Winamp 5.25 build 843 and above (in compare to Winamp 5.25 build 834 and below) so that it don't show Cyrillic symbols in titles of streamed radio and delete them. I attached the images of the same track from different versions of Winamp. I think the problem is:
* Fixed: [in_mp3] icecast utf-8 stream title support

P.S. For testing you may use that stream.

P.P.S. And of course I want you fix that.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug.zip (14.2 KB, 521 views)
Old 22nd October 2006, 05:43   #315
PaganHobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Thank you for making this available. I had the variable track length error and this update took care of it.
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:50   #316
Desides

I had the track length error as well, and the update seems to have fixed it.

If anyone's looking for more sample fodder, gamemp3s.net's recent releases all exhibited the symptoms.
Old 22nd October 2006, 13:48   #317
MasterViVi

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski
I've added a workaround for these kinds of files, so 5.31 will be able to play them back perfectly.
Unchecking both ID-tags for every file did the trick. Unfortunately, edits I did afterwards I had to do all over again to the now uncovered "hidden" tags.

Thanks for the help,
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:33   #318
Moguta

With the latest in_mp3.dll only 2 lines in the comment field appear, instead of the 3 that there is space for.

Screenshot included, with red highlight to mark where text is no longer displaying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipboard02.jpg (72.9 KB, 580 views)

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Old 22nd October 2006, 20:53   #319
alexjoey

hopefully there's followers

he's right, even if I recently tagued, I had not seen it.
Old 23rd October 2006, 00:10   #320
Chrissyx

Send a message via ICQ to Chrissyx
Quote:
[i]Disc field should have a single integer such as 1 (or: 2, 3, 4, 12, etc)
or: Disc x of x, eg. 1/2, 2/2, etc.

[Edit] Doh! Too slow again :-) [/B]
I'm still uncertain how to use the new Disc field...
For now, i've written any "CD1" or "Vinyl 2" tags in the Album field, behind the name of the album. e.g. "Good Music CD2" or "Good Music Vinyl 1 (A Side)".
Should i now use the Disc field like this:

Album: Good Music CD
Disc: 2

OR

Album: Good Music
Disc: CD2

OR

Album: Good Music Vinyl
Disc: 1 (A Side)

OR

Album: Good Music
Disc: Vinyl 1 (A Side)