Old 30th April 2015, 10:28   #1
Suesy

What's the best mp3 bitrate for an iPod?

I've ripped some of the CDs that I own as apple aac 128 which I've heard is the best, as I'm trying my best not to take up too much space. Which is the best mp3 bitrate for an iPod? 160 or 192? I have some variable bitrate albums too, and 128kbps albums which were ripped from the direct source though. I would appreciate some help, thanks.
Suesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:05   #2
Dr.Flay

Send a message via ICQ to Dr.Flay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr.Flay
MPEG AAC encoding has nothing to do with Apple other than they force users to write files with it.
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Variable bitrate is the best compromise over quality and size.
VBR encodes quiet/simple audio, and loud/complex audio at different bitrates.
Set Winamp to VBR Quality 4, for good quality copies.

I use a basic rule with MP3s that approximately 170k = CD quality (and why you see lots of 160 or 192k files).
128k is as low as you should go, especially with CBR (Constant Bitrate) mode, as it is already below CD quality.
MP4 is more efficient so you can consider that 160k will give you approximately CD quality files.

None of this is exact, so I recommend you do what I do, and try the same file at different settings.
Try ripping a file from CD at VBR 4 and 160k (rename the file before ripping another) compare the sizes with the 128k version you already have, and listen with the headphones you will be using.
If you can't hear any difference between 128k and the higher quality files, then it does not matter as your headphones are not good enough, or the source CD was not an original.

Background and deeper explanation for MP3s
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/audio-encoding
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:42   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
best is subjective.

in my usage, i rip to 256kbps. probably a bit overkill, but storage isn't a big deal anymore, and it will suffice for all but the most intense audiophile requirements.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:50   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Flay View Post
MPEG AAC encoding has nothing to do with Apple other than they force users to write files with it.
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

Variable bitrate is the best compromise over quality and size.
VBR encodes quiet/simple audio, and loud/complex audio at different bitrates.
Set Winamp to VBR Quality 4, for good quality copies.

I use a basic rule with MP3s that approximately 170k = CD quality (and why you see lots of 160 or 192k files).
128k is as low as you should go, especially with CBR (Constant Bitrate) mode, as it is already below CD quality.
MP4 is more efficient so you can consider that 160k will give you approximately CD quality files.

None of this is exact, so I recommend you do what I do, and try the same file at different settings.
Try ripping a file from CD at VBR 4 and 160k (rename the file before ripping another) compare the sizes with the 128k version you already have, and listen with the headphones you will be using.
If you can't hear any difference between 128k and the higher quality files, then it does not matter as your headphones are not good enough, or the source CD was not an original.

Background and deeper explanation for MP3s
https://vivaldi.net/blogs/entry/audio-encoding
Wow.. well I don't have that time to think anymore haha. I just use the best I can for my PC (320kbps) and sometimes 192kbps for my phone (32gb SD card). VBR was a bit troubling at some point when I had some mp3 players so I stop using it (it's been a long time since that, so now it's probably much different).
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:03   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Wow.. well I don't have that time to think anymore haha. I just use the best I can for my PC (320kbps) and sometimes 192kbps for my phone (32gb SD card). VBR was a bit troubling at some point when I had some mp3 players so I stop using it (it's been a long time since that, so now it's probably much different).
I don't see the point of VBR (esp now that storage space really isn't a concern, or to put it another way, VBR doesn't make enough of a difference to make it valid to use it), and I had the same issues you did with VBR, so except for random things I DL (about 5 - 10% of my collection) all my stuff is CBR, including all my rips.

however, I don't think you would notice the difference between 320 and 256. I use 256, basically b/c its twice 128, and yet still small enough. its my one size fits all ecosystems bitrate. I can't see having a collection of 320 stuff, and then making a mirror of 192 stuff for portables. too much work. 256 is the sweet spot for me. (I also use joint stereo and a q = 1 switch in EAC. my rips sound awesome).

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion