Old 29th July 2015, 01:24   #1
hightype

Plugin for correcting stereo imbalance?

I have a DJ mix that is mixed from vinyl. Most of the tracks have some stereo imbalance, that is, either the left or the right channel is louder than the other (sometimes the difference between the channels is about 1 dB, and this is due to the vinyl pressing).

Fixing this manually would take days. Compressing the left and right channel separately does improve things but is far from being the ultimate solution.

As far as I remember, I saw a pan autocorrection Winamp or DSP plugin a while ago (but I didn't need it then so I didn't download it) - I wonder whether I remembered well and if yes, can someone help me locating it?

Any help would be kindly appreciated!
hightype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 15:56   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Forum King

If you rip the vinyl files as mp3 then give mp3gain a try it volume levels tracks. I've used it to sort audio imbalance before.

You could also try volume levelling it in a program such as Audacity.
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 04:00   #3
hightype

Thanks for the reply!

Well, if the mix is already recorded or I'm trying to remaster a mix that was recorded in the 1980s to tape, it's already done (so pre-adjusting the tracks is not an option).

Manual correction gives the best results but it's time consuming... and if I have multiple mixes with 10+ tracks each, it's not an option.

Since I'm not the only one looking for such a plugin, there are forums that point to (rather useless) plugins - what I'm looking for is a specific Winamp plugin that I remembered seeing. I just don't remember the name but the description stated that it could correct stereo imbalance in the playback stream automatically (not sure about the exact wording as I didn't download it then).
Anyway, if it was a known or commonly used plugin, someone would have already wrote it...
Old 1st August 2015, 04:43   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

The free version of Stereo Tool (http://www.stereotool.com/) is a very comprehensive DSP plug-in. It has a stereo section (http://help.stereotool.com/7.60/stereo.shtml) that can repair and change stereo separation. This plugin significantly increases Winamp's CPU use.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H1 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 04:57   #5
hightype

Well, I use StereoTool (to much satisfaction) and I fiddled around with the Stereo knobs. As far as I know, the Azimuth does only phase correction, to prevent phase cancellation when collapsed to mono... or is the solution to imbalance correction hidden between the other options?
Old 1st August 2015, 15:06   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I would try the options in the "Stereo Image" section. You can also post questions in the Stereo Tool website's forum. If Stereo Tool can 'fix' your problem, you'll find the answer there.

Old 1st August 2015, 20:51   #7
hightype

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately the help for Stereo Tool is quite brief so I'll ask in the forum there. It seems that with some finetuning Stereo Tool can do stereo balancing.
Old 5th August 2015, 20:32   #8
hightype

Well, the plugin I was looking for is the ClaessonEdwards Auto Balance 1.0, as a kind user on the Stereo Tool Forums pointed it out (thanks to Bojcha).

(The funny thing is that I use many other ClaessonEdwards plugins to great satisfaction - how I wasn't able to find this via Google again is beyond me... )
Old 6th August 2015, 15:25   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Good to hear that you found what you were looking for.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion