Old 11th February 2016, 23:03   #1
hellzscream

A lot of songs not displaying in library/playlist

I've noticed i'm missing around 300 or so songs in my library/playlist that I have imported from my music folder. Any idea why?

Upper part of the pic is the # of files in my winamp library and lower is # of files from properties of my music folder. Of course some of the files in my music folder include album art but this shouldn't be a 300 file difference
hellzscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 03:35   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Have you checked for any hidden files in your folders? Sometimes the OS adds hidden artwork and folder structure files.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 04:46   #3
hellzscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Have you checked for any hidden files in your folders? Sometimes the OS adds hidden artwork and folder structure files.
You were right. I first had show hidden files checked but the hidden files still weren't showing. Had to show protected operated system files. I have a lot of duplicate album art. The weird thing is I remember deleting it previously yet it came back.
Old 12th February 2016, 12:29   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
what were the filenames like? WMP is known to DL art without indication. i keep my winamp files in areas that WMP is not aware of / monitoring, and u might want to investigate WMP options as well.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 14:50   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellzscream View Post
You were right. I first had show hidden files checked but the hidden files still weren't showing. Had to show protected operated system files. I have a lot of duplicate album art. The weird thing is I remember deleting it previously yet it came back.
The OS will use Windows Media Player to download and add hidden artwork files from time to time. It is not clear what triggers this action. The OS may use this hidden artwork to represent the folders in certain Windows Explorer views. Don't delete WMP, even if you don't use it. Winamp uses some of the dll files associated with WMP for some of it's own features.

These hidden artwork files are not a problem unless Winamp uses them instead of the artwork files you want it to use for your songs. The next version of Winamp may include some new options to prevent this issue. Currently Winamp will use an embedded image, tagged as the "cover", in a selected or playing song. If it doesn't find this embedded image, it will then look for artwork files in the folder containing the selected or playing song. There is a naming scheme that Winamp follows when looking for artwork files in a folder and the name of 1 of the hidden artwork files, that may be present, matches what Winamp looks for.

The OS may also add hidden folder structure files when you change how the files in the folder are presented (e.g. from icons to tiles or list or details or if you change the customize option in a folder's properties window).

Other media players may also add files (hidden or not) to your media folders to support whatever they are doing.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 12th February 2016, 17:26   #6
hellzscream

The file types are jpegs. I actually embed all my music using mp3 tag which is why I previously deleted all separate album art. I tried disabling retrieve additional information from the internet in wmp setttings but it still seems to download album art.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:51   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
The file types are jpegs. I actually embed all my music using mp3 tag which is why I previously deleted all separate album art. I tried disabling retrieve additional information from the internet in wmp setttings but it still seems to download album art.
Well you don't have to worry about Winamp using the wrong album art. I also embed images in all my music files.

There is no quick and easy way to check if all your music files were scanned into the media library, afaik. What I did when I first scanned in my music collection was to go to each scanned folder in Explorer and determined the number of music files. Yes, it was time consuming, but fortunately all my files were scanned in. Now as I add and remove files, I make sure the total number listed in the media library reflects the changes. I also make a backup of my media library database after any changes I make to it.

Old 12th February 2016, 23:31   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
what were the filenames like?

winamp will use embeds over folder art. WMP will overwrite any existing Folder.jpg with its own Folder.jpg

i don't use WMP much and i store my music in folders outside of what WMP is aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
There is no quick and easy way to check if all your music files were scanned into the media library, afaik.
there is.

open a cmd window ('dos' window) and navigate to your root music folder and enter a string similar to this that applies to your environment:

C:\music>dir *.mp3 *.wma *.m4a /s

...and as long as you put all the extensions that represent all ur music files you should get a full accounting of everything in all the subfolders of the root.

(none of those extension types should be hidden or system files, but i don't think it would affect the count if they were, but i haven't tested it)

--
Old 13th February 2016, 15:04   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post

there is.

open a cmd window ('dos' window) and navigate to your root music folder and enter a string similar to this that applies to your environment:

...and as long as you put all the extensions that represent all ur music files you should get a full accounting of everything in all the subfolders of the root.

(none of those extension types should be hidden or system files, but i don't think it would affect the count if they were, but i haven't tested it)
Yeah, I forgot about the good old DOS commands.

Hidden files would not be included by the command you suggested. To check for any hidden or system files, the following command could be used in the root folder.

dir /s *.* /as /ah

Or, the last 2 switches above could be used with command you suggested to list media files that have their system or hidden attributes enabled. You may need to put the "/s" switch immediately after the "dir" command to have all the subfolders searched.

Old 13th February 2016, 17:24   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

not to beat this subject to death, however again it would be unusual for one's own audio files to be either hidden or system files. having said that, i tried some commands:

dir /s *.* /as /ah

that works, but u have to review everything it finds to find media files, if there even are any, (most likely not). in my case, it finds artwork, b/c i set all my art to be hidden and archives, but not system files. (WMP sets artwork to be hidden AND system files)

dir *.* /as /ah /s

will do exactly the same thing.

dir /s *.mp3 /as /ah

found nothing for me.

dir *.mp3 /as /ah /s

also found nothing for me, (as expected).

so, if someone suspects they might have music files that are marked as hidden or system files, they could try some variation of the above as pertains to them, but it would be unusual.

also, there is a nifty thing you can do to easily open the cmd window where u need it, see these links for more info (i used the downloadable reg hack in the first link, works great):

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

http://michaelcrump.net/power-tip-fo...d-prompt-here/

http://www.askvg .com/enable-open-command-window-here-option-in-context-menu-in-windows-vista/

EDIT: for some reason the forum won't let me properly link the last URL.

--
Old 13th February 2016, 19:07   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
dir /s *.* /as /ah

that works, but u have to review everything it finds to find media files, if there even are any, (most likely not). in my case, it finds artwork, b/c i set all my art to be hidden and archives, but not system files. (WMP sets artwork to be hidden AND system files)
That suggestion is just a quick way to check if any hidden and system files are present, like those added by WMP.

I agree it would be unusual for media files to be hidden and more than unusual for them to have their system attribute enabled. But if the media library says it has more files than your suggested DOS command lists and counts, then either there is 1 or more Winamp watched folders not being searched or there are hidden media files in the searched folders.

Quote:
also, there is a nifty thing you can do to easily open the cmd window where u need it, see these links for more info (i used the downloadable reg hack in the first link, works great):
I just use the shift + right-click on the folder name (my music root folder is a subfolder). That provides for selection of a normal DOS command box or an administrative DOS command box, when elevated permissions are needed.

Old 23rd February 2016, 17:55   #12
hellzscream

Quote:
what were the filenames like?

winamp will use embeds over folder art. WMP will overwrite any existing Folder.jpg with its own Folder.jpg

i don't use WMP much and i store my music in folders outside of what WMP is aware of.

there is.

file names were generally AlbumArtSmall, Folder,AlbumArt_{6C482CDE-324E-48C3-8871-941E59762915}_Large and AlbumArt_{6C482CDE-324E-48C3-8871-941E59762915}_Small

The other issue i'm having is when I try to backup my music it will backup all the hidden files as well unless I manually go into every folder and copy everything without hidden files on.
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:16   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

The other issue i'm having is when I try to backup my music it will backup all the hidden files as well unless I manually go into every folder and copy everything without hidden files on.
It has always been the case that each user must determine (one way or another) what is actually in their file folders. A simple backup routine will just copy everything that is in a folder. There are backup apps that will let you select general and/or specific things to not include.

Old 23rd February 2016, 21:06   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
file names were generally AlbumArtSmall, Folder,AlbumArt_{6C482CDE-324E-48C3-8871-941E59762915}_Large and AlbumArt_{6C482CDE-324E-48C3-8871-941E59762915}_Small
so those are def being put there by WMP, and WMP makes them both hidden and system files, afaik.

your best solution would be to store your files in an area WMP doesn't monitor.

Quote:
how do you do backups?

since u embed art, use a windows explorer window to do a search for all *.jpg files in your music root and subdirectories and make sure hidden and system files are showing, then mass delete. you'll also want to mass delete thumb.db files and whatever else is related.

--
Old 2nd March 2016, 02:58   #15
hellzscream

Quote:
so those are def being put there by WMP, and WMP makes them both hidden and system files, afaik.

your best solution would be to store your files in an area WMP doesn't monitor.

how do you do backups?

since u embed art, use a windows explorer window to do a search for all *.jpg files in your music root and subdirectories and make sure hidden and system files are showing, then mass delete. you'll also want to mass delete thumb.db files and whatever else is related.
I zip the root folder which contains everything then upload it to dropbox
Old 2nd March 2016, 17:47   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I zip the root folder which contains everything then upload it to dropbox
zip it with what? i would expect a zipper to get everything, system, hidden and otherwise. the real issue is finding a way to keep WMP from recreating those files after you search for and delete them.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support