Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 22nd October 2010, 13:25   #1
Jorsher

This would be my primary Android media player if only...

...there was FLAC playback.

At least, it's not recognizing my FLAC on the SD card.

Other than that, great looking, wonderful app...

Also, how can I play "whipping the llama's ass" whenever I please? Great tune and takes me back to the days of dialup...
Jorsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:35   #2
subliminalurge

Do most android phones have high enough quality audio hardware to make using flac worthwhile?

It seems to me that by the time music is processed by a mediocre sound chip, then sent out through a headphone jack, you'd be just as well off transcoding to a good quality vbr mp3 and saving the memory card space.

Maybe my ears just ain't what they used to be, but for me I have to be listening on some seriously high end gear before I hear much of a difference between flac and a properly done high quality mp3....

Not saying your idea is a bad one, just wondering if many android phones actually have the sound hardware to make it worth chewing up the extra space.....
subliminalurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 07:21   #3
Robpol86

Send a message via ICQ to Robpol86
For me, FLAC support wouldn't be about the audio quality on my phone, it would be to eliminate the need to transcode my music just for one device.

I have my entire music collection in FLAC, and a 32 GB microsd card on my phone. If my phone supported playing FLAC, I would not need to bother converting all my music (and new music) to mp3.

It would probably sound the same as v0 MP3s, but it would save time and effort every time I got a new album.
Robpol86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 16:42   #4
muzicman82

Send a message via ICQ to muzicman82 Send a message via AIM to muzicman82 Send a message via Yahoo to muzicman82
I'd love FLAC support on Android as well. My music collection is also in FLAC and I only transcode to Apple Lossless for my iPod Classic. I'd like a selection of stuff on my EVO for quick playback.

In any case, does anyone know if the DAC in the EVO is any good? I'd kinda like to see some RightMark Audio tests! I don't expect much, but it'd be interesting to see.
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 00:18   #5
Angel O'Death

Send a message via ICQ to Angel O'Death
Seems to be playing my flac files fine. Except for one song where it cuts out the audio after about 10 seconds of play, though it keeps counting time. It eventually starts playing the audio again exactly where it left off and finishes up the song. But the 1+ minute silence is annoying.
Angel O'Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android