Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Old 8th November 2010, 20:34   #1
TheFeshy

Syncing in USB Mass storage, USB PC/Media Sync, and WiFi are different experiences

I accidentally left my phone in the USB mode "PC Mode" after doing some development work, and found that using Winamp to sync music in this mode was a different (and abysmal) experience. Having previously tried mass storage mode and WiFi sync, I thought I'd post about each of those methods and the differences I found with each.

issues with all modes
Only some settings seemed to be saved between the different modes. I had three playlists checked to be synced, and these three stayed checked (and others unchecked) when I switched modes. Other settings (specifically the "auto fill device" setting) reverted to its default (checked) state when I switched modes. This is very confusing as you may not remember what mode your phone is set to when you plug it in, and there is no indication on winamp that it thinks it is a different device
than last time.

Edit:
Another thing that seems present in all modes is that winamp always thinks the songs on the device are not present in my media collection, even though that's where it came from. In my case this may be because my music is on a network share, and not local, but I am not certain.

WiFi
Recognizing my phone
First of all, to even get this to work, I had to disable all other network adapters on the computer and reboot. I have also heard others have had problems if they connect to a wireless router with cabled ethernet, but I haven't been able to test that. Once those problems were overcome, however, I was able to get the device to be recognized by winamp every time.

File locations
Defaulted to "all over the SD card" (root with a separate folder for each artist) with no way to change it.

Syncing
Able to transfer between half a dozen and two dozen songs at a time before hanging (very random)

Playlists
Never was able to get an actual playlist file to sync up, but I suspect it can be done the same way as with USB mass storage (see below.)

PC Mode and Media Sync Mode
Both of these modes seemed identical in my limited testing.

Recognizing my phone
Connected and found my phone every time.

File Locations
Defaulted to "Albums" (which was always empty) "Music" (which had my music from the playlist) and "Playlists" (which was also always empty.) These could not be changed and were created every time. The most frustrating thing about this is that if you previously synced a playlist with another method (that defaulted to a different location) those files would be copied over again, duplicating them in this new location.

Syncing
Able to transfer one to two dozen songs at a time before crashing or hanging, [I]but[I]: several songs (about 20%) would fail to sync with a message: "error in insert 80070003" or "error in insert 80070005". The worst part of this (other than not being able to play these songs) is that the software would attempt to sync them again the next time. This means that in an attempt to sync a 100 song playlist, the first sync would get about 15 songs, 2 of which failed, before hanging My next attempt would try those two again, and get around 13 new songs synced before hanging. By the end of the playlist, it was failing 15 songs it had tried a dozen times before, and only adding one or two new ones before hanging again.

Playlists
Playlists were synced every time. At first I thought this was an improvement (as wifi never added them and mass storage took several tries...) until I opened winamp on my device and found over a dozen copies of my playlist (see above for how many sync attempts it takes to get a whole playlist in this mode.) I also have no idea where these playlists wound up, as the "Playlist" directory that was created was empty.

USB Mass Storage mode
Recognizing my phone
Very touchy. It can take several tries of connecting, disconnecting, enabling / disabling debugging, opening and closing winamp, changing usb modes, etc. before my phone will be recognized by winamp. Sometimes it never is.

File Locations
The device has an "advanced" tab that allows me to choose the location of the files. This is ideal, although the default of "all over the SD card" is a poor choice (and one that conflicts with the other USB mode; see above!)

Syncing
One to two dozen files at a time before a crash or hang, but all songs are eventually synced. Edit Okay, I am not getting about 5% of songs reporting "failed to transfer" Edit again Okay, I found the problem with that...some files that didn't exist got into my library and playlist, and I know how they got there...

Playlists
Playlists are seldom (and only randomly) copied along with the songs they contain. I found that I had the best results if I waited for a playlist to be completely synced, then to send it again a few more times. Usually this resulted in one (and only one!) copy of the playlist landing in the directory specified in the advanced tab.

Other hassles:
Using the phone in mass storage mode has a few other drawbacks, like windows complaining whenever the phone is disconnected without first choosing "disconnect hardware" (this doesn't happen in PC or Media Sync modes.) It also means you can't access your music (or often special ringtones if someone calls!) while the phone is plugged in and syncing.

Overall
All modes need to use the same default locations (or at least to check the other locations before syncing.) All modes need the same "Advanced" tab that USB Mass storage mode has. Obviously, all modes need to sync without hanging or crashing after a few dozen songs. Right now, all modes have at least one drawback; pick the drawbacks that are the easiest for you to work with (or wait until the software is out of beta.) Hope this helps some of you using it and some of you looking for bugs to fix.

Edit: USB Mass Storage Sync
I've just had some better luck with USB mass storage mode syncing without hanging. Choosing the sync button from the devices list (with the appropriate playlists checked) seems to get through playlists of at least a 100 songs without hanging; at least this last time I tried it. Previously, I had used "send to ANDROID" to test with this method.

Last edited by TheFeshy; 8th November 2010 at 22:11.
TheFeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 20:40   #2
joebloggscity

"Recognizing my phone
Very touchy. It can take several tries of connecting, disconnecting, enabling / disabling debugging, opening and closing winamp, changing usb modes, etc. before my phone will be recognized by winamp. Sometimes it never is."

Hi

but is there a final solution on how to get this to work every time? Is this being noted and worked on? It's a big problem I find and very frustrating. Not had much luck in getting any feedback...

Reall need help with this......

My phone is a HTC Desire
32GB chip
joebloggscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:04   #3
TheFeshy

The only thing I've found for sure that works (at least, the three times I've tried it) is to make certain the phone is in USB Mass storage mode (with debugging checked, I believe?), unplug it, reboot the phone, reboot the computer, start winamp, then plug in the phone. It is always recognized this way for me... but is obviously a huge hassle so I haven't done it often.

I certainly hope it is being worked on as well!
TheFeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:41   #4
joebloggscity

That's not very practical though Feshy as we both agree, it's strange as Winamp & Windows Explorer can see the E drive as below shows (using Ultimate Media Library)
see: http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/5209/41665173.jpg

I thought i had it sorted to finally recognise my phone as a portable...

But this morning, it's strange it is recognising the disk drive but NOT as a portable under devices (see screenshot). Why is this?

I've got it to work sometimes but not often.

What is going on wrong? If winamp can see the E Drive surely it should be able to scan the files and put them into the media library for the portables.

I used to use "Send To..." heavily with my old phone with Winamp (a 3 year old Nokia) with no problems, so amazed there is a big problem with the new HTC desire

Please help and give us all some feedback. We really need help on this one.

I've a HTC desire,
android 2.2
32GB card
i've got "enable auto-mount" as ticked on
I always use the USB cable
Old 10th November 2010, 13:46   #5
joebloggscity

I've also found a strange thing.

I've the issues with using the USB as said above.

However, if I use the WiFi sync (just discovered how to) then amazingly the device is shown quickly and a full list of all tunes & arties are shown!!!

Why is there problem using USB cables? I don't like the Wifi sync as my network is too slow.

Please can someone help me out on this, i've been trying to get any assistance for days and I'd to see what is going wrong here as I'm a Winamp devotee for 7-8 years...
Old 10th November 2010, 19:31   #6
iStormUK

Okay, my experiences. Winamp Android is a beta, so here's my report on syncing:

Lousy.

Let me explain; doing so over wifi is challenging, to say the least. Once I got it to see my Dell Streak (Android 2.1), I could send, at most, 6 files, and it was slower than swimming in treacle (this latter issue is likely due to my wifi network tho). In addition, it would not sync a single playlist, and despite giving options in the desktop client for having it sync selected playlists, ignored said settings, and wanted to sync all 3.2k songs, of which I reckon only a third would have fitted anyway.

For some reason, regardless of how I sync, it pops up a box to tell me there are 'local files' on the device, and lists about a half-dozen in-built Android sounds, I can't even see these with any tool on my device, so how Winamp does I will never know, but there you go.

USB syncing was impossible, no matter how, or where, or who I tried, looked or asked, it refused to see my 'mounted as USB drive' device, and thus failed to bother syncing, strange since WMP10 is working fine, as we speak (though this is likely going to convert everything to WMA, and ruin my chances of playing any media on it).

In short; I think the syncing needs rebuilding, when it does, eventually sync something, it shoves it in the root folder of your external SD card, which is messy enough with Android apps having their stupid .folders everywhere, appdatas, and bleedin' images. Would be at least passably good if it, at least used the default 'media' folder, or better yet, custom locations like /sdcard/Music, something that keeps it more contained.

On the whole I love the player, nothing bad to say about it, playlist creation is a bit laborious, would've prefered checkbox options, for selecting mass amounts of files to put in a playlist, as opposed to holding down on each one, or using the menu key, specially since playlist sync fails to work.

Work these issues out, and I'll be happy to use the desktop client as my primary player, til then, sticking with WMP to sync to the device.
iStormUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 09:25   #7
joebloggscity

IStorm - I've the same problem as you with respect to USB linking.

however, your phone may link to Winamp and show under Devices/Portables. However it may sometimes take upto 1 hour to do so! Strange as it shows instantly in Winamp if you use "Ulimate Media Library plug in" as in my screen shot above.

The Winamp link to Ultimate Media Library plug in (which is really jsut a windows explorer plugin thing).

Please Winamp team can you assist on this one......
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android