Old 19th October 2013, 00:29   #1
radioguy1961

Song currently playing won't update

I am having a problem and was hoping someone could tell me what the problem is. I am using winamp 5.65 and for some reason, it will not update the song that is playing. It has been stuck on the same song (which is not the song that is playing). I have the box checked that says follow winamp's title update and it will not update to the current song that is playing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
radioguy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 11:07   #2
DrO

I assume you're using the source dsp? if so ensure you're using v2.3.3 (links to it are in the SHOUTcast discussion forum). if not, you need to be more specific on what you're using.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 13:42   #3
radioguy1961

DrO.....I want to give you a BIG thank you, upon investigating, I was running the shout cast dsp version 2.3.2, I installed version 2.3.3 like you suggested and everything is working fine now!! Ok, another question if you don't mind, where in the settings would I set things for song to song segues? I have alot of dead air between songs (atleast 3 to 5 seconds) When I have crossfading enaled, I still have dead air and when the next song starts, it skips, I have disabled crossfading but I want to have the songs blend instead of dead air between tracks. How could I make this possiblr, or is it even possible to do what I want? Thanks bud!!
Old 19th October 2013, 13:45   #4
DrO

Winamp's crossfading is done at the output stage and not before DSP's have had their chance to process the audio so what you're describing is completely expected.

i think thinktink had a plug-in which could help though having files encoded (subject to format support) with the relevant silence / gap removal information encoded into them would also help with the issue (though that's a length process and if you don't have the original files, in most cases it's not recommended as you have to re-encode and loose more audio data).
Old 19th October 2013, 14:23   #5
radioguy1961

Ok bud, I appreciate it, I'm just confused because when I am listening to my music in winamp (not braodcasting) I have the crossfader enabled and have it set at 15 and it segues song to song perfectly but when I am streaming online it does not work so I guess I will deal with it lol
Old 19th October 2013, 14:28   #6
DrO

it's because of when it's done. what you hear is after everything has been processed through any DSP plug-ins, etc and then is cross-faded (which for listening to Winamp normally makes sense).

streaming from Winamp is effectively a hack by doing it as a DSP and due to that, it's getting the audio before it's gone all the way through the processing that may be happening and hence the difference. it's why you generally have to pay for proper broadcasting software so it'll do all of the fancy stuff like that compared to the cheap method that is using Winamp + Source DSP (which for most cases is ok but it's not great in some cases as you're finding).

yes it doesn't make sense initially but there's not a lot to do about it due to how Winamp works without hacks or even going as far as taking the output of one Winamp instance and feeding it into a second instance and then broadcasting that (which is going to add more lag to the system than is already in place).
Old 20th October 2013, 01:23   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
DrO, does that limitation of the DSP design also extend to winamps builtin silence detection removal?

it sounds like the solution would be to remove the silence from the files. i know from previous threads on here there are ways to do so losslessly even from lossy files, but i don't think a purely automatic way was found. (maybe there was a batch way, but there were questions as to accuracy / doublechecking the edits, etc)

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 01:31   #8
DrO

nope, most of the silence removal is done by the input plug-ins (hence it being format / tag specific as to how well or not it'll work). out_ds also has the means to skip over silence in what it ends up being provided (if below a specific db level).
Old 20th October 2013, 01:34   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

ah, ok, so if i understand you correctly, if he is using say, mp3s, he can configure the input plugin to remove the silence and get the desired effects as that is prior to the SC dsp?

so i guess the question for him is what formats does he broadcast?

--
Old 20th October 2013, 01:47   #10
DrO

for mp3s, if the mp3 was encoded with the relevant lame header information then in_mp3 willl be skipping the silence anyway (assuming it's silence that was encoded when it shouldn't really be there). that as such is not configurable - if the information isn't in the relevant headers then nothing will be removed.

if it's normal silence as part of how the original audio was then no, it won't be skipped automatically and needs to be stripped out as needed (as i remember CDs used to have a few seconds inserted on purpose in-between the songs which would then be carried over to the ripped files).

most of the silence skipping is to allow for gapless playback of correctly ripped files, not for CDs, etc where there's a hard-set silence in the original audio.
Old 20th October 2013, 14:41   #11
radioguy1961

Don't know if this info will help, but all the music I broadcast is in mp3 format, all of my song tag information is entered in each song and is correct. I'll keep playing around with this and just maybe I will accomplish what I am trying to do. Thanks for your responces, help and suggestions
Old 20th October 2013, 14:55   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

tags are separate from LAME headers, which would hold the info DrO is talking about.

running the files thru mp3val couldn't hurt either, but that won't matter if the info isn't there at all, or if the mp3s were encoded with a codec other than lame.

--
Old 20th October 2013, 15:18   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi radioguy1961,

For streaming mp3s, if the silence is included at the start and/or end of the encoded files, it needs to be stripped out. Everything that I've tried to do this during playback (because of the way Winamp hacks into the input thru DSP to output processing) introduces other undesirable artifacts (popping, skipping, etc).

"mp3DirectCut" is a free app (link below) that lets you cut out any silence at the start and/or end of mp3s, without the need to re-encode the files. It is a manual process (to select and delete the affected parts), so it will take you a little time to 'fix' each file.

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support