Old 10th December 2004, 21:24   #1
Mofos

Best DSP/effect plugin

Whats the best dsp/effect plugin? ive tried wow thing and didnt like it and im currently using enhancer and i dont really like it eaither, im lookin for a plugin that can make the music sound clearer Help!

[edit > JonnyMac] Moved from WA Tech Support to WA Discussion [/edit]
Old 11th December 2004, 00:07   #2
JonnyMac

DSP/Effect plug-ins are very much in the ear of the beholder. I am not a big user of DSP plug-ins. However, I was about to suggest Enhancer until I saw you already have it. Maybe Dee3

If you are getting poor sound quality (static, background noise, etc) then try the DirectSound tweaks. If that does not work, post a reply with system specs and I (or another mod) will move this thread back to Tech. Support. Until you tell me otherwise, I am considering this to be plug-in suggestion thread.

Good luck and happy Winamping.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 11th December 2004, 00:17   #3
Eck

Mofos,

If you're not satisfied with whatever your sound card software provides, and you're willing to pay, I would recommend QSound Lab's QMaxII. It's something like 25-30 bucks, but works from all sound sources so you won't need plugins for different players. You can even improve how older games sound.

I use it when I don't have a Creative card installed. (Those have all the effects built in to the software.) I used to use it with my original HP's Riptide sound card as that didn't have DSP software. Right now, I've got an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Awesome sound, but I wasn't satisfied with needing to activate surround processing to use the SRS True Bass and stuff. I installed my QMaxII, and don't have it run at startup. I just run it whenever I'm playing music.

It's got an EQ, Q-Expander, Q-Sizzle, Q-Rumble, assorted environment presets (like Hall, Living Room, etc),a unique algorhythm for either headphones or speakers, and uses less memory, processor than the SRS stuff. I know, because I can run the G-Force Visualization with no problems. SRS software like WOW and TrueBass made G-Force stutter.

I love the thing.
Old 11th December 2004, 00:44   #4
Mofos

Alright ill give you my sys specs becuase ive already tired that stuff you stated.

P4 2ghz @ (2.02ghz 101x20)
512 PC2100 ram
60 gb HD
Old 11th December 2004, 00:49   #5
Eck

Yeah, if you're not getting clean sound with no added processing then you need to troubleshoot. No DSP is going to clean anything. First get clean sound, then play with it (if needed).
Old 11th December 2004, 00:52   #6
Mofos

Ive got integrated sound
Old 11th December 2004, 01:01   #7
JonnyMac

Moved back to TS

Try updating the sound drivers. Go to the website of your computer provider or the manufacturer of the motherboard for updates.

Still no luck? Please provide additional system specs as described in the system specs link.
Old 11th December 2004, 01:06   #8
Mofos

Ive done that too... what else do you need to know :S
Old 11th December 2004, 01:36   #9
JonnyMac

Well, the information as requested in the system specs link, but mostly...

Windows version?

Soundcard? Integrated yes, but what is the name?...
ComputerHope.com: How to determine what type of sound card I have?
If you don't find the System Information icon in the Accessories folder, it may be in the System Tools sub-folder (inside the Accessories folder). If you are not familiar or uncomfortable with the inside of computer, I would not suggest using "opening the computer" as the other method. You can also use System Information to find what you have for a video card, click on Display under Components.

DirectX version...
1. Start button
2. Run...
3. type DXDIAG > click OK
4. System tag
5. 'DirectX Version:' will be near the bottom.

Hijack This log...
Download Hijack This from the systems specs link or use this direct download link. After downloading HjT (unzip if needed) it will be ready to run. Run HjT and press the 'Scan' button. After scanning the button will change to a 'Save log' button. Save the report as a text file by giving it a txt extension instead of log. Example: HijackThis.txt. Please do not use the 'fix' button. Then attach the HjT log with your next reply.

The files that play bad, did you download them from P2P apps (like Kazaa)?

It is late a night in my part of the world so I am going to sign off for now and check back at this thread some time tomorrow. If someone else would like to step in and help, feel free.
Old 11th December 2004, 01:43   #10
Mofos

DX Vesion: 9.0c
Soundcard type: SIS 7012

and no i dont have spyware.
Old 11th December 2004, 02:01   #11
gaekwad2
Foorum King

For $25-30 you can already get a fine sondcard, like the Chaintech AV 710.
Old 11th December 2004, 17:37   #12
nybergh
Dialup Junkie
(Major Dude)

...but if you want to have good game sound, buy an audigy 2. Only creative have support for EAX Advanced HD (EAX 4.0).

( to gaekwad)
Old 11th December 2004, 18:29   #13
gaekwad2
Foorum King

And only Creative sells $200 cards (Audigy 4) that still can't properly play 44.1kHz audio.

na na na pwned!

But you'd agree that he should rather invest $25 in a soundcard than in a DSP?
Old 11th December 2004, 19:42   #14
JonnyMac

Since you are not going to provide a HjT log, I will have to take your word that you do not have any spyware/adware. Other than the intergraded soundchip, I can not find reason for the crappy sound. So, you may want to try gaekwad2's suggestion to get a soundcard.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
Old 11th December 2004, 20:01   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Try the dsp_getanewsoundcardandspeakers.dll plugin
Old 11th December 2004, 21:02   #16
JonnyMac

Too bad there is not a free version of that DSP.

Read the Stickies
Old 11th December 2004, 23:35   #17
nybergh
Dialup Junkie
(Major Dude)

Quote:
But you'd agree that he should rather invest $25 in a soundcard than in a DSP?
Hell yeah, dsp-trials can be cracked while there are no trial versions of hardware . That makes the choice easy to make.
Old 12th December 2004, 02:38   #18
peaceofcake

What kind of speakers do you have? It's generally the speakers that muddy sound not the computer. MP3 doesn't really mess up the spectrum of audio that gives it clarity (it does screw up the fine detail and some bass though)
Old 12th December 2004, 02:51   #19
Eck

As much fun as everyone is having, I hope the fella gets the sarcasm.

Mofos,

It's possible that your sound drivers need to be reinstalled. Do you have a cd that came with your motherboard/computer? If so, you can use that. I would check the website for the motherboard's manufacturer or the manufacturer of your computer to see if there are any updated chipset drivers and/or audio drivers for your computer. If you look in your Windows Device Manager under Sound, Audio devices, and right click your audio device and choose Properties, you'll find a description of it and, on the Drivers tab, a listing of the version you're using. If you ever reinstalled Windows and didn't install specific chipset drivers (if available for your's, as sometimes manufacturers just sent drivers to Microsoft and they build them into Windows), then that could also be the problem. If there are chipset/sound drivers offered then if you ever reinstall Windows it's up to you to hunt them down if you lost the cd.

Or, you're motherboard built in audio does stink (as many do), and you may want to invest some money in a card. I recommend the M-Audio Revolution. Newegg.com is where I got mine from. The new boxes even have the latest drivers on the cd so you wont need to download them from M-Audio.com.

Then, you can consider that cool QMaxII I was talking about. I also use the Yamaha S-YXG50 Midi (XP version) which has been discontinued and so hard to find now. If you like midi and you don't already have that, you might want to get an Audigy 2 ZS. When their software works, it's great. Creative installs so much stuff that, even though it's pretty and cool (when everything goes well), there is at times a glitch in one or two of the thousands of files and registry entries their drivers/software installs. If their Tech Support and Forums don't fix the problem, many users install the KxDrivers. All they lose is EAX, but at least they can use the card. Many say the Kx Drivers sound better than what Creative offers.

This is more than you probably need (want?) to know at this point. I just figured it'll save you searching around for some of this info later.

Hope you fix the crappy sound.
Old 17th February 2005, 01:11   #20
sucahyo

Funny, I have onboard souncard CM8730, I play using Winamp and enhancer, but I am not experiencing bad sound quality. Maybe your speaker is bad.
From what I know, enhancer is better than DFX or DSP-FX in making clearer sound. Even mp3 recorded from tape cassete is better when using these kind of plugin (sound harmonic restoration). And enhancer is more stable than DSP-FX, even if it has less seting.

This is my setup:
- I disabled winamp equalizer.
- occasionally use winamp franhaufer in_mp3.dll (winamp version 2.79 ?)
- Enhancer setting:
-- volume = 10
-- Harmonic bass = 3
-- Harmonic bass Range = 10
-- Drum bass = 4
-- Drum bass range = 10
-- Dry signal = 10
-- Harmonic treble = 10
-- Harmonic treble range = 10
-- Ambience = off

[edit > JonnyMac] Please do not revive old threads. This is over two months old (last post date before yours 12-11-2004 ). The posting dates can be found under the forum name next to the 'Profile' button.

*whacked*
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support