Old 4th August 2004, 21:45   #1
sgtfuzzbubble011

Cool More Metroid...

Nintendo is going to release a Metroid Prime GameCube bundle soon. This is straight from Nintendo's exclusive online press room...

Quote:
NINTENDO DELIVERS A BUNDLE OF BADASS: GET METROID PRIME AND A BONUS DISC -- FREE!

Learn How to Fight Like a Girl - a Butt-Kicking, Bounty-Hunting Girl

REDMOND, Wash., Aug. 4, 2004 - One of the toughest characters in the video game universe is about to become part of a powerful new package deal. Starting Aug. 15, Nintendo's Metroid® Prime Bonus Bundle gives consumers a Nintendo GameCube™ system and not one but two free discs. The first disc contains a complete version of the award-winning Metroid Prime game, while the bonus disc contains a playable demo version of the highly anticipated sequel, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

"Other companies sell their systems starting at $150," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "No one can match Nintendo's value as we offer a Nintendo GameCube and two free discs, all at an MSRP of just $99.99."

The great value of the bundle builds on the already-strong interest in Metroid Prime 2 Echoes and carries the enthusiasm into the holiday season. The bonus disc features a wealth of information about the Metroid franchise, such as:

- an exclusive playable demo of Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
- The Metroid Chronicle, an interactive history of the Metroid franchise
- two Metroid Prime 2 Echoes cinematic trailers
- a stunning Metroid Prime art gallery

And the whole bonus bundle comes in a Metroid-styled Nintendo GameCube packaging. This incredible value will be available only while supplies last.

Game enthusiasts who already own a Nintendo GameCube can get the bonus disc in one of two ways, while supplies last. The bonus disc can be obtained by purchasing a one-year subscription or renewal to Nintendo Power® magazine, the official print source for product-related updates and information. The second option allows "My Nintendo" members of Nintendo.com to obtain the bonus disc by registering a Nintendo GameCube system and five eligible software titles. Complete details for both options can be found at www.nintendopower.com/metroidprime2.

Metroid Prime remains one of the most adrenaline-soaked Nintendo GameCube titles of all time, with more than 1 million units sold. Metroid Prime was named the 2003 first-person action console action game of the year by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, and was named "Game of the Year" by GameSpot.com, GameSpy.com, IGN Cube.com and Planet GameCube.com.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes, set to launch Nov. 15, sends heroine Samus Aran to explore the dual Light and Dark sides of split-dimension planet Aether. The tension-packed first-person adventure features new power-ups, a new ammo system and special suit upgrades. And for the first time in the Metroid franchise, up to four players can battle against each other in multiplayer mode using all of Samus' unique powers and abilities.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.9 billion video games and more than 170 million hardware units globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario™ and Donkey Kong® and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid®, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere.

For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

And as was stated in the article quoted above, Nintendo is also giving away free copies of the Metroid Prime 2 Echoes bonus disc to qualified Nintendo members. I just reserved mine...

NintendoPower.com/MetroidPrime2

sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 21:54   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Why.....

did Metroid skip a system and avoid the N64 when it was clearly one of Nintendos big sellers on other systems.

I've heard varying reasons why, but I thought I'd ask a die hard Metroid fan, that's where you come in
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 21:57   #3
sgtfuzzbubble011

They didn't make a Metroid game for the N64 because it wasn't quite up to snuff with the kinds of graphics and depth of gameplay that they were aiming for. As you can see, Metroid Prime is pretty damn big and pretty damn good looking. It'd be impossible to put that kind of depth of gameplay and graphics into a game for the N64. Just remember the words of wisdom from the game god himself...

"A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."
Old 4th August 2004, 22:04   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

See, that was one of the arguments I'd heard, and most people countered that with, "well the n64 was more than capable of pulling off a decent FPS shoot em up, just look at perfect dark and so on"

Other theory I'd read is that most of the 3rd party studios , like Retro, were only formed towards the end of the n64's lifespan, and they were put together with the express purpose of pulling out a GCN Metroid, given that most of Retros staff had worked on stuff like Doom/Quake/HL yada yada yada.
Old 4th August 2004, 22:12   #5
sgtfuzzbubble011

Even though Metroid Prime is first person, it's more than just a shooter. It's more action/adventure than just an FPS. And you're right that the N64 has some great FPS games, but imo, none of them have nearly as deep a style of gameplay as Metroid Prime has. I think that, if Nintendo were to have released a Metroid game for the N64, it would have had to have been a side-scroller like the previous Metroid games... Since the graphics capabilities of the N64 would kick ass for a game like that, I'm sure it would have rocked to no end. But (and there's always a but), with most of the games on the N64 being released as fully 3D games, there would have been too much push to make a Metroid game in the same fashion, thusly causing gameplay depth to suffer dramatically. Even if it wasn't intended, I think Nintendo made a wise choice by waiting to release its next Metroid game for the Cube.
Old 4th August 2004, 22:19   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I still think it's one of the worst games I've played for the cube, it just dosn't excite me at all, despite repeated attempts at "getting into it", I just end up getting frustrated with it.

It's odd, because I do so love a good FPS, and I do think it's amazingly well put together , handles like a dream and looks and sounds superb, something just dosn't work for me

Each to their own I guess
Old 4th August 2004, 22:25   #7
sgtfuzzbubble011

You're not into the adventure part of it, I can tell. You're the bang-bang-shoot'em-up style. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that Metroid Prime isn't a simple shooter game. Even though the Metroid series is based in the future, in other parts of the universe, and with lots of technology... it can be categorized as the same type of game as the Legend Of Zelda series, despite having swords replaced with beam cannons.

And well, I know you said you liked Wind Waker, so maybe it's not so much that you're not into the adventure aspect... maybe it's just that you're not interested in the storyline behind Metroid Prime in particular. Possibly?
Old 4th August 2004, 22:44   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I don't really know, I've played a lot of FPS, have you seen XIII on the cube?, I love that game, and that is a lot of genres rolled into one, FPS, lots of puzzles,occasional bouts of our and out shooting, stealth attacking, different types of weapons for different tasks, so the whole puzzle/fps combo is something I enjoy.

And if truth be known, stuff like Zelda is mana from heaven for me, I wouldn't have spent the last few months playing OoT and Majoras Mask on the cube otherwise

As for the metroid storyline, again, couldn't say, I've played it on the GBA, I've played the retro versions, and again they are great, sucked me right in , but I just can't put my finger on what's wrong with Prime for me, it just dosn't work, wierd huh

I suppose it's a bit like some of the FF games for me, loved and adored FF7, 8 I hated, couldn't get into it at all, 9 was great, totaly got into it, 10 was so-so.

Some games click, others don't, even if your a fan of the genre to start with.
Old 4th August 2004, 23:40   #9
sgtfuzzbubble011

Word.
Old 5th August 2004, 03:17   #10
xenosomething
Major Dude

this is a smart move by nintendo.

...the system, one of its best games and a demo of greatness to come.

damn, nintendo should just throw in the zelda collectors edition disc just for the hell of it!

on top of that i just read that gates is interested in buying nintendo....what a weird day.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2004, 05:26   #11
TechBoy

What sold Metorid Prime to me was just the ambience of Tallon Overworld.

As you first step out of the ship, the rain is softly pattering down on your visor, the sky overcast but not dark. The ambient vegetation looked so lush. And the awesome Overworld Theme really fit the mood too.

The Chozo ruins, at least the open sections, had the feel too. But as the game went on, the wall just got closer and closer (Megmoor Caverns, Phazon Mines, Crashed Ship). They just didn't have the same majesty of the Overworld.

I sure hope Echoes has more open, rich environments.

Speaking of which, why doesn't this bundle have a nifty new center jewel on the Cube like the European Prime bundle did. I'd kill for a nifty center jewel...
TechBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2004, 10:00   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I've been having a bit of a think about this, and I think I know what I don't like about it....

It got weary killing the same set of bugs over and over again, each time I walked through an area I'd be killing off the same old bad guys, using the same old techniques, it got repetitive, especially when you had to keep passing through the same areas, when I kill something I want it to stay dead, let me just go back to XIII, when I smash a chair over the back of the guards head who is standing by the door I want to get in, I want him to stay on the ground, not respawn every time I go back to the door. Now you may argue that respawning the enemies keeps the game lively and saves it from going very dull and very quiet, I'll give you that, but it might have been nice in that case to have them respawn randomly so you didn't expect them to keep poping out of the same bit of scenery every time you went near, I bet if you played it long and hard you could almost play it with your eyes shut. Games like resident evil managed this, sometimes zombies would stay dead, other times they would respawn, other times they would respawn just where you didn't expect them to, kept you guessing

Now this formula was used on the other metroid games, so why didn't it bother me there?, again, couldn't say, so it there must be something else as well.

/carries on thinking...
Old 5th August 2004, 21:12   #13
sgtfuzzbubble011

When those beetles pop up from out of the ground again, try killing them off with morph ball bombs instead of your beam cannon. That'll mix things up a bit.
Old 6th August 2004, 06:02   #14
horse-fly
Account Closed

Not to revive an 8 hour thread or anything, but I read somewhere that the reason for the lack of Metroid on the N64 was the lack of demand in Japan. It never really took off in Japan.
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2004, 07:24   #15
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by horse-fly
Not to revive an 8 hour thread or anything, but I read somewhere that the reason for the lack of Metroid on the N64 was the lack of demand in Japan. It never really took off in Japan.
Ooooh, interesting, HorseFly comes in with a totaly left field theory....

Hmmm, you know that might be right, Metroid in all it's various guises don't look like your usual Japanese game .

Interesting...
Old 6th August 2004, 17:29   #16
xenosomething
Major Dude

if metroid was successful in japan it wouldn't have become a fps.

.........?.
Old 7th August 2004, 04:25   #17
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I'm with Mr. Jones. I put the game down and despite trying to get back into it, I just get to the point where (Oh yeah, I've got to go through there again) and (save point? Where's my fucking save point?) and (Man, this looks like somewhere I've been before, but it's not. Or is it? Damn!). I just can't revive my interest.

Sorry to disappoint you sarge, but I probably won't buy the new Metroid game. Saving my excitement for GTA: San Andreas and the new Zelda for the Cube.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2004, 13:10   #18
sgtfuzzbubble011

No probs. I'll just let you all know how much it kicks ass when I get it.
Old 13th August 2004, 02:07   #19
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Game Play Video For the Next Metroid.

http://www.happypuppy.com/games/files.jsp?game_id=1183

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2004, 16:21   #20
sgtfuzzbubble011

Sorry, I don't feel like registering on that site just to download one file. I'll check it out when it comes in the mail.
Old 16th August 2004, 00:02   #21
sgtfuzzbubble011

Btw...

Bwahahaaha!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg metroidgamecubebundle01.jpg (58.0 KB, 318 views)
Old 16th August 2004, 00:31   #22
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
did you just buy yet another gamecube?

EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2004, 00:56   #23
sgtfuzzbubble011

Well, I sure as hell didn't take my digicam to GameStop.
Old 16th August 2004, 07:07   #24
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

You should be able to snap them all together, before long you will have a fully fledged borg cube on your hands, imagine the possibilities..
Old 17th August 2004, 03:07   #25
sgtfuzzbubble011

Oh fuck. I damn near choked on my Cherry Coke when I read that.
Old 26th August 2004, 23:27   #26
sgtfuzzbubble011

Just got my MP2E bonus disc in the mail today. It's a pretty short demo, but this game is going to rock. I won't give away any details, though.
Old 5th September 2004, 05:39   #27
MaunderingMouse

Send a message via ICQ to MaunderingMouse Send a message via AIM to MaunderingMouse
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
They didn't make a Metroid game for the N64 because it wasn't quite up to snuff with the kinds of graphics and depth of gameplay that they were aiming for. As you can see, Metroid Prime is pretty damn big and pretty damn good looking. It'd be impossible to put that kind of depth of gameplay and graphics into a game for the N64. Just remember the words of wisdom from the game god himself...

They didn't make a N64 Metroid game because the creator of the game, Gumpei Yokoi, died. So they took off a system before coming back with the GBA and GCN games.
MaunderingMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 01:13   #28
sgtfuzzbubble011

Didn't even think of that.
Old 8th September 2004, 17:02   #29
mark
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
I suppose it's a bit like some of the FF games for me, loved and adored FF7, 8 I hated, couldn't get into it at all, 9 was great, totaly got into it, 10 was so-so.
I was exactly the same. Just out of interest, have you tried any of the earlier games? (through psx rereleases or emulators)

FFV and FFVI pwn
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2004, 17:05   #30
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

No, I passed on them on the PS1, and never tried them via emu's, not my thing, although I'm looking forward to FF1 & 2 being released on the GBA
Old 14th September 2004, 00:05   #31
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:

THAT is not right.

The reason that Metroid did NOT see a debut on the N64 was because the creator; Gumpei Yokoi DIED in a car crash in Japan right around the time the N64 was released. They did not want to continue the series right away in conjunction to respecting the creator's death. After the N64 went under, the president of Nintendo asked Shigeru Miyamoto to continue the series in his honor.

So They did Metroid Fusion. Shortly after there were plans to put Metroid on the Gamecube so they contracted Retro Studios in Austin to transition Samus into the 3D world. Their answer was a 3rd person/FPS hybrid. Miyamoto worked closlely with them to make sure that Samus's transition was a good one.

Now the sucessful Metroid Prime is getting a sequel and a movie if only the Movie Directors can get something off of the ground for once...
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2004, 01:06   #32
sgtfuzzbubble011

Read four posts above yours...

MaunderingMouse already corrected me. But thanks for the extra information.
Old 14th September 2004, 01:37   #33
xenosomething
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
THAT is not right.

The reason that Metroid did NOT see a debut on the N64 was because the creator; Gumpei Yokoi DIED in a car crash in Japan right around the time the N64 was released. They did not want to continue the series right away in conjunction to respecting the creator's death. After the N64 went under, the president of Nintendo asked Shigeru Miyamoto to continue the series in his honor.
i dont ever remember nintendo giving an official reason.....link?

metroid has always been weak in japan....i would think they probably wouldn't have risked making a metroid for the n64 regardless of the death.

i wonder if nintendo thought the creator would of wanted the series sent off to an american division?

.........?.
Old 15th September 2004, 02:30   #34
Omega X
Forum King

Quote:
Read four posts above yours...

MaunderingMouse already corrected me. But thanks for the extra information.
LMAO! Didn't even see that. sorrie.

@xenosomething:

Its true. Though Nintendo didn't give an official reason though Miyamoto explained it in an interview for some magazine.

And also to your "American Company" comment: Retro Studios is a 2nd Party developer for Nintendo and has been doing development for some time. They just became famous with Metroid Prime. Plus Miyamoto and other top Nintendo heads has been working with them on the title also, so its the best of both worlds. PLUS I read that he spent a lot of time at NOA so its not like Gunpei hated America...

Here's a link to learn more about him:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...unpeiYokoi.htm
Old 15th September 2004, 03:01   #35
xenosomething
Major Dude

i said "american division" not "american company"

anyway...not to make nintendo sound evil or anything, but i would say the creator was the only thing keeping the game alive. and once he died nintendo had a good reason to stop a game that never did well in its home market.

and i would say the creators vision wasn't for a fps(even though it worked out pretty well)....but thats just me.

.........?.
Old 16th September 2004, 03:45   #36
Omega X
Forum King

"and i would say the creators vision wasn't for a fps(even though it worked out pretty well)....but thats just me."
--------------

...Tis true. FPS was very popular at the time MP was being developed. So in order to take the wind out of Halo's sails, Metroid Prime was born.

(...now back to playing Tales of Symphonia...)
Old 21st November 2004, 08:02   #37
sgtfuzzbubble011

Finally picked up a copy of Echoes a couple days ago. Didn't get a chance to play it until a little while ago, though. I haven't gotten far in the game yet, but it's actually quite beautiful in a creepy sort of way. The soundtrack (what I've heard of it so far) seems very well fitting of the game, and it even has hints from the original soundtrack from the first Metroid game. The storyline is pretty good, too. And the morph ball cannons are cool!
Old 23rd November 2004, 02:00   #38
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

i think metriod could have worked on the 64 samus looks alright in smash bros. i remember reading somewhere that when a japanese big head came to visit on metroid's progress he said "oh just make it an fps" in fustration of how the game was turning out. he probably thought it was too american and said that thinking that they would take it to offense as would most other game developers who happen to be japanese. in the end metroid came out wicked eventhough it would still be super cool to see samus running around. >> when it first came out i thought prime was in referrence to it being first person.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2004, 01:00   #39
xenosomething
Major Dude

i finished it today....the unlockable art galleries are really fantastic.

i enjoyed it alot, but i feel a little cheated by the uselessness of the new visors/beams....i mean the new stuff was hardly put to any use aside from a handful of times, i dont even know why they bothered.

so it was pretty much an extension of the first game with more creative use of the spider/boost balls....and again the lack of instant replayable bosses really hurts the lasting factor.

.........?.
Old 24th July 2006, 00:09   #40
sgtfuzzbubble011

I still haven't finished Echoes. I've been playing a little bit here and there when I get some free time, but some parts of it are really frustrating. I don't see how a miniboss can be twice as hard to beat as a main boss.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center