Old 25th November 2008, 07:18   #1
benexclaimed

Import Ratings from ID3 Tags

I know this has been discussed before, but I'd be very interested in a way to import ratings from my tags to use in Winamp. I understand that the developers don't want to store ratings in ID3 tags and that's fine, but it'd be great if I could import my existing ratings instead of having to enter them all over again.
benexclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 01:14   #2
Zero2FiftyIn4

I think it has to do with the fact that every media player handles ratings differently. Since there isn't a universal way rating are handled by all programs I think it hard to implement. Not sure though.

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 22:19   #3
CPark

Re: Import Ratings from ID3 Tags

Quote:
Originally posted by benexclaimed
I know this has been discussed before, but I'd be very interested in a way to import ratings from my tags to use in Winamp. I understand that the developers don't want to store ratings in ID3 tags and that's fine, but it'd be great if I could import my existing ratings instead of having to enter them all over again.
I don't understand that the developers don't want to store ratings in tags, that's a great error. Why? If you rename a file or folder, you'll lose the ratings for that file or files in that folder. If you move a file or folder, you'll lose the ratings for them. Think what happened if you rename the root folder of your library, or another example... if you wanna move your whole library to an external hard drive. You only can cry!!

About import ratings from tags, yeah, another disappointment. An example of program that can import ratings and tag them is Mediamonkey (if you rate an mp3 with windows explorer, it'll appear in Mediamonkey, and if you do it with MM it'll appear in properties of file). Sadly the UI of Mediamonkey is ugly and far away from UI of Winamp.
CPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2008, 03:04   #4
benexclaimed

I realized a really easy way to import my reatings. I used foobar (my previous player and the one I used to rate my stuff originally) and created playlists of each set of ratings (1-5). I brought those songs into winamp and rated accordingly. Pretty easy fix.
benexclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 02:40   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
sure, but it won't persist if you have changes.

winamp could solve the "non-standard issue" by simply using its interface to set/create tags for ALL the various players/methods out there it wants to support.

so if WMP does it one way, and itunes another, winamp could set both.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:06   #6
hyperhans

I say let's make a petition or some sort of public outcry!!

WE WANT ID3-BASED RATING NOW!
hyperhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2008, 02:34   #7
Bilbo9955

Don't hold your breath on this one. Since most of the people looking for this, are looking to move their Winamp songs to another directory ans still use Winamp, their excuse is invalid! All they would need to do is pick one standard and use that. Winamp users would be able to relocate or rearrange their music. I someone wanted to import/export with another program, a simple plugin or script for MP3Tag could be used to convert.

The other excuse often given is that now, being part of a large corporation, they can only do what they are told. I guess that they not only sold their company but their souls too!
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:25   #8
Ben-n-Skittles

I am also looking for this.. I wanted to be able to move all my music onto my new media server and remove the music from this computer..
But of course changing the directory for the files to a networked computer is going to make all my pretty ratings and playcounts disappear =[
Ben-n-Skittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 12:14   #9
phalancs

yea this is really a fuped situation. Only solution to globally move the file location i see so far is to export with the itunes xml library exporter for winamp and then edit the paths in the xml and reimport it again...

Damn, windows explorer uses ratings in the files, why cant winamp doi this! would make the use of win7 libraries a lot more interesting....
phalancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 21:56   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Bilbo,

i'm not sure i understand what ur saying?

Phalancs,

you could sort via ratings and make a playlist per stars, and then move the music, rescan, and rerate.

but just b/c there are workarounds, doesn't mean winamp shouldn't have this feature. i really wonder what the devs think? sooner or later, everyone moves their music or clears their ML or changes computers, and then are screwed.

--
Old 19th August 2009, 01:17   #11
Bilbo9955

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSinatra
Bilbo,
i'm not sure i understand what ur saying?
It seems that every time this topic comes up, people chime in with all sorts of options or opinions on implementations, that only make the matter much more complicated and thus discourage the programmers. For instance, 5 star rating or 255 like some other program. If the goal is to simply move everything to another computer, drive, or directory, it is much simpler to do and maybe someone would give it a try. If you remember in previous discussions with IIRC Dr.O, he expressed his concerns were with how to implement the feature and less with just writing the program.
Bilbo9955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 08:40   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

well u can't divorce water from wet. the fact of the matter is that if this ever does get done, its going to have to be compatible with other apps. i only need 1-5, but the spec for POPM uses 0-255 as the valid range...

it may be frustrating, but doing this right is better than simply doing it.

DrO isn't going to do it btw, we need someone to pick up the gauntlet.

--
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:50   #13
nhustak

Well that sucks. I didn't realize DrO had changed his mind. This is just damn silly - it's the one thing that keeps me looking at other players. It's like some sort of fing crusade at this point to not support it and I don't understand why. It's a @#$#@ media player not air traffic controlling software - figure something out and do it.

Guess I'm off to look at other player options again.

N Hustak
nhustak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:06   #14
DrO

i said i don't currently have the time or means to do it (my real job is more important to keep hold off at the moment and that's where most of my time goes towards). however i have said that if the time does appear then i would supply relevant patches/implementaation to the dev team if i got around to doing it. however with the fanatical nature of people about ratings in tags it's doing more to disuade me from trying to find the time and it's no wonder that no one else has shown any interest either...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 01:47   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

please don't confuse desire to have a feature most other apps have with fanaticism. its not the same thing.

i'm not saying you directed that towards me, but for my part, i have simply tried to be helpful gathering info for whoever elects to do it, while at the same time make my case strongly, not fanatically, for the need of it. seems reasonable to me.

and i think thats what most other posts did as well.

--
Old 11th September 2009, 10:42   #16
Tsimon

I agree with nhustak that it is really pity Winamp doesn't support ID3 ratings and that it could be a reason to change player. I have lost all my ratings and play counts more than once...

Some days ago I found a plug in named "Windows Media Player Import" (Think there is something similar for itunes) that imports ratings, play counts etc to winamp from wmp. Than I began switching between wmp and Winamp - listened in Winamp and rated in wmp. Works great but take lot extra time!

Anyway I don't loose all rating information if i rename or move a folder, i small relief, but it had been much better with an alternative in the winamp settings to save ratings to file.
Tsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:44   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

i refuse to rate things in wmp and import them over and over to winamp. this is a basic, fundamental NEED for winamp, and its getting ridiculous that they aren't moving on it.

--
Old 11th September 2009, 13:59   #18
Tsimon

Yes! And it is pretty sick that no one has made a plug in for this when people continuously has asked for it since 2005 and the number of visitors on threads like this has reach a number of almost 30 000!

1. This thread --> 1821 visitors

2. forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246869&highlight=tag+id3 --> 23 782

3. forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228688&highlight=id3+tag+rating --> 1841
Old 11th September 2009, 21:34   #19
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Features aren't added based on thread views.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 22:16   #20
Tsimon

True but maybe it shows that many wants the feature and if I wanted to do a plug in. I would choose to do a plug in that I know a lot of people want.

But I'm not a pro here. Maybe I'm Incredible wrong :s
Old 11th September 2009, 23:30   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Features aren't added based on thread views.
then that begs the question why does a forum named "Winamp Wishlist" exist?

sure there are going to be good ideas without a lot of views, and bad ideas with a lot of views, but this is a good idea with a lot of views.

it seems silly to me to be against it in that case.

--
Old 15th September 2009, 02:35   #22

Noobie here. I've used media players for years (casually) but never really used the song rating system. Now, because of Milkdrop (and my media center pc on my living room tv and stereo), I'm dedicating my future to winamp. While rating presets for Milkdrop, it dawned on me (like, duh!)... gee, I wonder if the song ratings work the same way? But then I discovered that shuffle play does not even look at song ratings (what the h**l)...am I correct in this finding? But without the id tag thing, I guess I can see why the rate preference shuffling never came to be...

Last edited by 0987654321; 15th September 2009 at 05:18.
0987654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 05:51   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

the thing we all want is persistence of ratings in file tags.

u could rate your files and shuffle just the 4 stars and above ones or whatever with a little tinkering, but without persistent ratings if you lose your library u lose the ratings.

--
Old 16th September 2009, 21:03   #24

What I meant by shuffling not recognizing the ratings is the ability of the shuffling program to play higher ranked songs more often and lower ranked songs seldom if at all. That is how the rating system in Milkdrop works... isn't it? If not, I guess I'm wasting my time with Milkdrop...

I do agree with the need for persistance (or lastingness). What's the point in letting one rate if it won't securely last.
0987654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 23:03   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

when u say milkdrop, you mean the built-in visualization that comes with winamp? what does it have to do with shuffling songs?

what you could do is rate all your songs, sort by the ratings column, select the songs that are 5 and 4 stars using the shift-click method, enqueue the selected files, and then play it shuffled. you could even save it as a playlist you update every so often.

--
Old 16th September 2009, 23:38   #26
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Just remember, the more threads you SPAM, the more you annoy people. It is not conducive to getting a feature implemented.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 23:41   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

sawg,

honestly, what are you talking about? what spam? just whats your beef?

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist