Old 12th November 2021, 02:03   #1
ForestCat

vis plugin missing from list in Win7, does appear in XP

I grabbed the Milkdrop source and compiled it, and copied it to the plugin folder. The plugin is available in the list of installed vis plugins on a v5.6.6 install under XP, but does not appear in the list under win 7. Anyone have any idea why that might be happening?
I've tried this on a few different computers.

Thanks
ForestCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 02:16   #2
thinktink
Forum King

Wikipedia's entry states it relies on DirectX. There may be a missing dependency. Try installing/reinstalling DirectX.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2021, 12:58   #3
ForestCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Wikipedia's entry states it relies on DirectX. There may be a missing dependency. Try installing/reinstalling DirectX.
Thanks, but I was hoping that was it and had already installed the June 2010 dx9 rollup.

Here's what's strange (to me, anyway):
Winamp 5.6.6 comes with Milkdrop 2 already installed.
On the Win 7 computer, I can browse to the plugin folder, copy the existing vis_milk.dll a few times(with different file names), and each copy will show up in WinAmp's Select Plugin dialog list, correctly identified as Milkdrop 2.25c, and they all function.

If I copy a freshly compiled vis_milk.dll from a working Winamp 5.6.6 installation on another computer running XP, to the Win 7 computer's plugin folder, no matter what the filename, it will NOT appear in the Select Plugin list.

I'm really stumped. Again, repeatable on two different Win 7 computers. But If I copy my compiled dll to yet another XP setup, it works.
ForestCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support