Old 14th January 2005, 11:36   #241
brotherS

@shaneh: I don't understand you... while listening to streams I *only* get toasts when they change the title or on track changes. Would be great if you could fix that ASAP, I almost only listen to streams and want a volume change notification there too.
brotherS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 12:04   #242
shaneh
Major Dude

@brotherS: Yes the title changes work ok in streams. But what I have done is hard coded in a check to avoid showing the toast unless the title has changed when the input is http. If I didnt have that check, the toast would be displayed every second or so when playing a stream due to a "bug" in winamp. (not really, but essentially).

Unfortuantly, this check to avoid showing the toast unless the title has changed currently causes it to not be displayed on volume changes.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 12:20   #243
brotherS

Hmm... I see... what about a quick fix? Couldn't the plugin maybe watch out for those Global Winamp Hotkeys I use to change the volume and show a toast everytime I use them?
Old 14th January 2005, 14:40   #244
saivert
Banned

I'm using the 666 trick as mentioned somewhere in this forum. And in the subclass of the playlist editor I post a message to Winamp's main window which I catch in a subclass of that Window. When I catch that message I format the text and display the balloon.
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 00:47   #245
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah I pretty much do the same thing, Toaster would have a similar bug Im sure. However as it tries the ML first, this isnt such an issue, unless the item isnt in the ML.

I ran into a similar problem with the play count replacement plugin. The 'length' reported is quite often wrong, but if you ask for the length a few ms into the song, it is correct. It is quite critical to get the correct value when you are setting times of % of the length etc.

Winamp itself uses a 300ms timer before adding anything to the ML as a playcount or recent item etc. Because the input plugin runs in a different thread, and it is that which tells winamp of the bitrate, you simply must wait for the input plugin to have done its stuff. I dont know off hand of a way to detect when this is the case. And in fact, because the bitrate can change, it can report it as many times as it likes with different values. A pain to be sure.
Old 17th January 2005, 11:04   #246
saivert
Banned

Yeah I know! He he... I used to let the balloon pop up whenever the info change (catched the IPC_CB_MISC/IPC_CB_MISC_INFO message) and it constantly popped up when playing VBR MP3's. Not very nice :-(. Catching the IPC_CB_MISC/IPC_CB_MISC_TITLE message was also not a very good idea since it cause the balloon to popup a lot of times when playing HTTP streams (even if the actual stream title did not change).

I have fixed the problems of not getting the bitrate, sample rate, channel info. I'm simply calling PostMessage twice (refer to my previous post) to the Winamp window when I catch "666" in the playlist editor subclass.

So you see, catching song changes could have been done a lot easier if there was a built-in API for it. As for getting the selected playlist items...
Old 19th January 2005, 07:44   #247
JeffL

covers

Found a bug in 0.6. The cover properly loads if I load a file from the File Open dialog but if I simply click on a file in Explorer, use the Dynamic Library or start a playlist, the cover simply shows the last cover loaded with a song using file open.
JeffL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 15:03   #248
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
if you play a file so the folder.jpg is in use by toaster, and then the 'album list' plugin doesn't show the cover from the current played album if you reaload 'album list'.
also, you can't edit or delete the folder.jpg cause it's still in use by the toaster plugin.

I think shaneh has forgotten to give the folder.jpg free after reading it.

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 16:17   #249
shaneh
Major Dude

This is a known issue with GDI+. As you may not want to draw the entire image after you load it (eg, you may just want to draw the top half in a minutes time), GDI+ opens the file and accesses the necessary bits on demand.

ie, in this case it wont read anything straight away, then in a minutes time will only read half the file when you go to draw it. This is an optimisation. To do this, it needs to hold the file open until you are done with it.

Anyhow, as I dont need this optimisation I will use a different technique which will close the file, as I know it can be annoying. I have a few changes slated and will probably do some work on it soon.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:24   #250
WanderingKnight

I didn't seem to get a copy of readme-toaster.txt, or if I did, I can't find it.

Is the file available anywhere online?
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2005, 22:01   #251
Gabes Dad

Bug found in Toaster: prevents saving studio.xnf

Just went through a process to find what plugin was prevent studio.xnf from being written when winamp closes from the docked toolbar mode. Toaster 0.6 ended up being the main culprit.

I am hoping this is perhaps occuring in conjunction with some other plugin?

Let me know if this can be fixed, I really like this plugin. Thanks.

Would a moderater please move this post to the toaster thread - accidentally made a new post instead of a reply. Sorry.

merged into the Toaster thread - DrO
Gabes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2005, 01:38   #252
shaneh
Major Dude

I will look into it, although I have a suspicioun it may not be wholly the fault of Toaster if at all. gen_ff is known to be quite faulty, especially in docked mode.

I dont use modern skins myself, what can I do to test that studio.xnf isnt writing correctly, ie what setting isnt being saved? From what I can tell in studio.xnf its mostly window positions, which was a problem with gen_ff when docked, it wouldnt save the position because it crashed.

I narrowed this down to gen_ff not unloading properly. It would not unhook the winamp message chain but would still unload from memory, and would destroy windows etc. I fixed this by renaming gen_ff to gen_zff.

You may find that *any* plugin causes gen_ff to crash if they are unloaded before gen_ff. The renaming fix may or may not work, as it doesnt necessarily affect the load/unload order, but if you muck about renaming enough eventually you will affect the order of the plugins on disk.

Try disabling the SEH option in winamp and tell me what the crash info is, Id wager its a crash within gen_ff. The address is even likely to be gen_ffs winamp wndproc. (edit, nah its something else)

/EDIT: Actually the bug was in gen_ml not unloading properly, which would cause gen_ff to crash when it was unloaded. But this has been fixed now.

I just did a quick test and indeed having gen_toaster would cause a crash, but I believe it is partially the fault of another plugin not unloading properly.

Before unhooking from the message chain, Toaster first checks that is at the start of that chain. I just checked this and realised I am doing something wrong there. But even so, some other plugin is not unhooking itself properly.

I will look into it further and update further. In the meantime, renaming gen_toaster to gen_ztoaster should fix the issue temporarily.

Last edited by shaneh; 27th January 2005 at 02:03.
Old 27th January 2005, 03:00   #253
shaneh
Major Dude

Ok, scratch all that. Ive found the bug, its a strange one and only surfaced itself when the playlist was docked and "slided" off screen. If you close winamp while the playlist is fully visible it shouldnt cause a crash.

I was forgetting to destroy the Toaster popup window when winamp closes. Normally this wouldnt be a problem because winamp destroys all the windows when it closes anyway. However I was manually destroying a cpp object which represented the Toaster window, but not destroying the window itself. This wouldnt be a problem either if no more messages get sent to the window, but when a window is undocked, a message goes out to all desktop windows, of which Toaster is one. Well anyway, it was problematic, but fixed now. I will make a couple extra changes and release an update.

@WanderingKnight: the file is called gen_toaster.htm. It should be in your plugins directory.
Old 27th January 2005, 03:14   #254
Gabes Dad

Glad to hear you found the bug . . . looking forward to the next release.
Gabes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2005, 19:07   #255
brotherS

Me again... you know, I complained about Toaster 0.6 not working for streams (volume change notification) but just now I found out that it works for ONE stream out of the four I use!?! Huh?
Old 19th February 2005, 01:07   #256
shaneh
Major Dude

@brotherS: As I said it basically does a check for "http" to see whether it should check if the title has changed first before doing a toast. Unfortuantly it still did this check even on a volume change. Its possible the stream doesn't quite start with http exactly, or the title changes frequently for that stream or something. in either case:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....23#post1594523

Toaster 0.7 should fix this problem.
Old 19th February 2005, 10:21   #257
brotherS

Oh, thanks, didn't stumble over 0.7 yet. Maybe you could add the URL for the next new version thread to the end of the old version thread?

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138586 still shows 0.6 as the newest version...
Old 19th February 2005, 10:57   #258
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah, it hasnt been released yet, still working on it. I'll certainly post it to the plugin site once its finished.
Old 28th February 2005, 09:33   #259
saivert
Banned

Ontopic:
Checking if a song is streaming media can be a shot in the blind sometimes. You got all sorts of protocols (http, mms, e.t.c). And detecting stream title changes is not very easy too. I think Nullsoft never expected their player to be utilized this much when they originally designed the Winamp API. Maybe in a couple of years they will redesign it so it is much easier to do a lot of tasks like hooking the window procedure (request a hook instead of calling SetWindowLongPtr ourself), getting highlighted (selected) items in the playlist editor, requesting HMENU's for all the menus Winamp has and simplify adding menuitems (requesting a notification whenever a menu is about to be displayed, sort of an improved WM_INITPOPUPMENU).

Offtopic:
My NxS Balloon should now work on Windows 2000 at last.
I have created a new plugin called NxS Office XP menus for Winamp. It basically skins Winamp's popup menus.
http://www.inthegray.com/saivert/win...enus_Setup.exe
Old 28th February 2005, 10:14   #260
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

/edit was going to re-post sometime when it isn't 5am...
One possible bug: using the Toggle toast display global hotkey the Toast will toggle off but won't toggle back on unless I open toaster prefs & click ok.

Last edited by Thunder Pussy; 28th February 2005 at 11:21.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2005, 13:22   #261
shaneh
Major Dude

¿¢?: The toggle toast hot key seems to work for me.

PM me you toaster.ini settings and I'll see if theres any configuration specific problem.

/EDIT: also, please use the toaster 0.7 thread for 0.7 related topics.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development