Alpha Preview 0.5a3

Not too many changes:
+Allows 0 format lines
+Fix format lines not used were increasing the height
+Fixes to width/height/skin adjustments
+Fix to sign problem with cmp: tag
+Fix screen positioning bug
+About box stuff

Getting near a beta release which will go up on the winamp page. There are still quite a few fixes/enhancements to do, but a 0.5 beta will still be much better than the old 0.4 version currently posted.

The beta will probably just include 'disable in fullscreen' and using a different picture for http streams, the images of which I will also need to get. Plus theres all the damn packaging and doc writing. 0.5 final will include the rest.
Attached Files
File Type: zip toaster.zip (19.1 KB, 295 views)
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 16:05   #42
siebe83
Forum King

If no track is present, i still will show -1. Or should i use the cmp for that?
Also I'd like to set the mouse options, so if I click the toaster, it'll disappear. Will you implement that in the 0.5 beta?

Another feature I'd like to see is an option to set the horizontal/vertical spacing. So if you have 'bottom left' selected for position, you could increase the spacing between the edge of the screen and the toaster (sorry for my bad english )
But that maybe is for a next release...
Did you exclude top left for positioning on purpose, btw?
And what's the difference between bottom right and automatic?
(a small bug: it says 'Bottom left', but 'Bottom Right' (note the cap))

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 16:12   #43
electricmime
Major Dude

is album art in the id3 tag going to be supported in the beta?

if not, is there an eta on that (i just want to know if i should go ahead and recopy the images to my folders, or if i should wait it out)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 00:45   #44
sparkyc

Any chance of having a "reset to default" option on the formatting tab for fools like me who manage to screw up their formulas? I've sorted it now, it just seems like quite a handy thing to have from a user-friendly standpoint.
sparkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 02:18   #45
electricmime
Major Dude

i might be wrong here, but deleting the toaster.ini in your winamp folder, would reset it to default, right (i dont want to do it, because i have everything set up perfect... though i suppose i could just copy it >.>)

Old 8th June 2004, 02:40   #46
shaneh
Major Dude

@siebe: That is actually what is being returned by winamp for %track%. I will probably add the %tracknumber% tag as well which only returns if it is >0. You can just use %cmp:track>0% for now - it is identical to what %tracknumber% would do anyway. Full mouse options will not be available in the beta, but I may make a few available such as solidify on hover and click to disappear. 'Automatic' positions the toast depending on the taskbar location. Im going to strip that option I think, and let you position it using a grid thing. I don't know about the spacing though, will see.

@electricme: ID3 tag covers will be supported eventually. I will have a go at getting them into the beta, but if not will put it in the final. Im guessing it will be supported by the end of the week at least, but as early as today.

@sparkyc: You can just delete toaster.ini to reset your options, however I do intend to have a rest to default. Or a list of presets, so if you have any cool ATF strings let me know.
Old 8th June 2004, 03:04   #47
philly4

A bug I found. Or maybe there is another command i do not know about. When using %bitrate% it returns the current bitrate of the song playing not the average bitrate of the song. When using the LQ/HQ or in my case a modified version, if the song is VBR it sometimes reports the song as LQ because the song starts out with a second or so of silence even though the song is FLAC with an average bitrate of over 500. Maybe there is another command that will search the ML and find the average bitrate stored there?
philly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 03:07   #48
electricmime
Major Dude

ooh, presets would be awesome, so if i decide to change, i can easily switch back when i get tired of a style (especially nice for the really complex forumlas)

Old 8th June 2004, 03:10   #49
shaneh
Major Dude

Hmm, yeah I thought that would be a problem. I currently override bitrate and get it from winamp - but I will change it to let the ML handle it, and have another tag to use the value from winamp. Will see how that goes.

@electricme: By presets I really mean preset defaults, not a means to save presets. Although admittedly that would be cool and I may put it in eventually, at the moment its probably not worth the effort. You can just cut'n'paste into notepad or something I really need to make it a bit easier, perhaps a scratch area for defining and testing that allows you to paste into any field.

@philly: Did a quick test, using the ml for the bitrate works fine. Will put it in the next release.
Old 8th June 2004, 03:24   #50
electricmime
Major Dude

hmm, yes a way to change the default would be cool (i love the way mine is set up now, but if i changed it/screwed it up trying something, i could just go back to it..) but, didnt the old version have a Test button (which popped up the toaster with the new settings, but didnt apply the settings?)

if not, that would be nice to have..

Old 8th June 2004, 04:21   #51
electricmime
Major Dude

using cmp, how would you say cmp for how many letters are in a title?

like..

i want to have it say the album, but want it to cut if it has more than 30 characters in the title (otherwise it overruns the other data i have on there), and i want it to say ... only when it needed to cut

so i was thinking $if(%cmp:album>30,$cut(%album%,30)...,%album%)

but that doesnt work...

Old 8th June 2004, 04:30   #52
shaneh
Major Dude

When you use > or < it treats the tag as a number, when you use = it treats it as a string (but also works with numbers). So it is converting album to a number which isn't what you want. I will make it do the ... automatically like it did with 0.4, when wrap text is disabled.

I could make a cmpl: type operator that compares the length of a tag I suppose. It would be good if the $cut command actually inserted the ... for you if it does cut the text. Otherwise I could make a %cutwdots:album:30% type of thing.

Or I could make a taglength: tag, so you could do something like: %cmp:taglength:album>30%

In a future version I may do the overlap detection automatically, so that ...s will be inserted if the text is going to overlap a field on the right/left.
Old 8th June 2004, 04:44   #53
electricmime
Major Dude

give it a ... and two spaces (i think thats what i have mine limited to so there is still a space between the ... and the next tag) but yeah, any of those solutions for ... would be nice

also, i think that with album art, the toast can get kinda big (not really big, but kinda big) and it can get really annoying when it keeps rehovering when you run your mouse through it while its fading.. for the beta/full will there be an option like i suggested (to turn off autoreapear when mouse goes over) or is that something you have no control over?

Old 8th June 2004, 04:54   #54
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah I'll make that an option in the next release.

Im going to change the way cmp works a bit, and some others so it will allow this sort of stuff, and some more powerful operations. You should be able to do stuff like:

%cmp(cmp(:tagln(:album)>:tagln(:artist)))<30%

Which would test if the length of the album tag is bigger than the artist tag but less than 30, for whatever reason. I can't actually think of much use for it though, but it shouldnt be too hard to do so I may as well.

edit: I have changed it a bit now. You can now do stuff like:

$if(%cmp(:artist=:album)%,Self Titled,%album%)
&
%:tagln(:cmp(:track>9))%

Which would give you the number of digits in track if track is bigger than 9. and so forth... so can use tags on both sides of the operator, plus nest stuff a little better.

Last edited by shaneh; 8th June 2004 at 06:37.
Old 8th June 2004, 15:22   #55
shaneh
Major Dude

0.5a4

Alpha Preview 0.5a4

I wasn't going to release an interim alpha build before the beta, but I figure it will be sometime before I can get the other bits together so theres likely to be a few more changes between this relase and the beta.

Changes
+Disable during fullscreen test
+Another track change option for toasts when not playing
+Basic interim mouse options -solidify&hide on click
+Very basic font change ability
+Different internal method of handling images which will make displaying album covers from id3 tags easier
+Ability to use track_http.jpg for http streams
+New %bitratewa% tag
+%bitrate% now comes from the media library
+New %tracknumber% ATF tag
+New %tagln(% tag
+New "End of Playback" status
+Re-arrangement an additions to preference dialogs

cmp and tagln tags explained

The tags now enclose their arguments in paranthese. Using a ':' before an argument causes it to be interpreted as a tag. Otherwise it is just data.

eg.

%cmp(:track>0)%
%cmp(128<:bitrate)%
%tagln(Not a tag)%
%tagln(:artist)%
%cmp(:tagln(:artist)>10)% -compares the length of %artist%>10

$if(%cmp(:artist=:album)%,Self Titled,%album%)

edit: very small spelling fix made to dialog.
Attached Files
File Type: zip toaster.zip (20.1 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by shaneh; 8th June 2004 at 16:06.
Old 8th June 2004, 18:08   #56
electricmime
Major Dude

thanks the new atf works great

also, i thought of two things.. the first thing is that when you uncheck "display album covers" shouldnt the all the options for album covers be faded out? and the second is an option to not show toaster when you select a song from the playlist (so it only shows when winamp is hidden or not up front.. or at least doesnt show it when you select the song from a playlist, and therefore no what song you are playing..)

Old 8th June 2004, 18:15   #57
ilyag

Regression from alpha 2?

Thanks shaneh, Tosaster has become much better. I can finally have it pop-up only on request... Soon, I won't imagine life without it. BTW, I find nearly 0 bugs in the basic functionality I use.

Well, except for one. In alpha 2, there was a checkbox of whether to have notification on track change. In alpha 4, there is a radio button on whether to have notification on track change only when playing, or all the time. I can't find how to set it to never do the track change notification - am I missing something?

Oh, a feature request: can you have an option to only do track change notification if I change the track manually (e.g. press Next, or the global hotkey)?

Thanks again, amazing plugin.
ilyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 18:49   #58
skinme!
Forum King

Neat-o. One thing that has been bugging me a while. Is it possible to stop the settings window opening under Winamp's preferences window? Also, can Settings be a mouse action in the future? i.e. right click could open the settings.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 21:51   #59
roth377

Hey Shaneh,

I've been testing out the beta, and though I'd post a few of my thoughts.

First off, awesome plugin. This is what I've been hoping for in regards to a winamp plugin. I've been wanting an album cover friendly notification OSD for a while.

Currently, (in addition to your beta), I'm using a samurize config, so some of my comments are based off of that.

Some comments:

- I'd like the ability to choose the "text" ATF placement in regards to placement of the album cover. In other words, I'd like the album cover to appear on top, with the name of the song/album/group below it.
- It'd be nice to have the ATF text centered either horizontally and/or vertically in the space created by a big album cover. Part of this could be achieved with your inclusion of numerous formatting lines, and just having the first two or three blank, so disregard if/when this is implemented.

From your previous posts, it appears that this isn't exactly theme-aware in regards to modern skins. I respect your opinion, but wish you may reconsider (give Toaster is much better than modern-style notifier).

Thanks for making a great plugin.
roth377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 02:44   #60
shaneh
Major Dude

@ilyag: D'oh, you are right. I'll fix that. You can edit Toaster.ini to set TrackOnPlayNotify and TrackNotify to 0 in the meantime.

@skinme!: Shift right click has always opened the settings :P. As for opening under the preferences panel, I'll look into it, it shouldnt be doing that :P

@roth377: Album cover placement and line placement is something I'd like to improve, so we'll see how that goes.
Modern themes can't really be supported because they are freeform, and it would take some ability to parse it and so on. There is a notifer in the modern skin thread which you can pretty much use in any modern skin. It is written in wasabi/script whatever. You can however set toast.bmp to the skin you want and it will be used if it can't find gen.bmp for the current skin.
Old 9th June 2004, 07:04   #61
bubkaii

Send a message via AIM to bubkaii
YES, you added the folder.jpg !!!!!!!!!!!!!
bubkaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 07:08   #62
skinme!
Forum King

Ahh, shift right click is so much easier since the options open under Winamp's prefs box. Thanks!

Old 9th June 2004, 19:04   #63
EagleBall5

found a bug

First off, I love this plugin. The album covers, the customizable display ... beautiful. Anyways, I think I found a very weird bug. If I click anywhere on my desktop, the plugin stops working.

Example: Everything is running fine. Winamp is the only thing running on the computer. It's minimized. I repeatedly click the "next track" button on my keyboard and Toaster pops up at every song. Then I left click the desktop, press "next track" again. Winamp plays the next track, but Toaster doesn't pop up. Then I click anywhere else (like the taskbar for example), press "next track", and Toaster is working fine again.

Odd, huh?
EagleBall5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 02:00   #64
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah, I think its my fullscreen detection code. Does it happen with fullscreen detection off? I need to fix it a bit.

Theres also a strange bug when playing a song not in you ml right after playing one in your ml. Sometimes nothing is displayed, sometimes it does. Its kinda strange.
Old 10th June 2004, 02:16   #65
EagleBall5

Sure enough, I turned off "disable in fullscreen" and the problem is gone. Keep up the hard work, it's turning out real nice.
EagleBall5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 07:29   #66
skinme!
Forum King

I noticed that playing a video in fullscreen with that option on still showed Toasts. So I'm guessing that option really isn't working at the moment!

Old 10th June 2004, 07:59   #67
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah fullscreen detection is kludgey at best, theres no reliable method.

@electricmime: youd be happy to know Ive got the CD covers out of id3 tags working ok at the moment. Will touch up a few more things and make another release sometime soon. Will most likely put this release up on winamp, I can always update it anyway.
Old 10th June 2004, 12:11   #68
sparkyc

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
Yeah fullscreen detection is kludgey at best, theres no reliable method.
If this is the case, would it be possible to have a global hotkey to turn toasts on or off - seems like this would be a handy/time saving way of disabling them without having to get into the preferences.
sparkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 13:52   #69
electricmime
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkyc
If this is the case, would it be possible to have a global hotkey to turn toasts on or off - seems like this would be a handy/time saving way of disabling them without having to get into the preferences.
i agree with that, and not just for fullscreen, because if you are doing something, and dont need toasts on (has happened to me) and the toasts were kinda getting in the way, but you didnt feel like going to the prefs and turning them off, a hotkey for turning them off and on would be great

and as for being able to see albums in the id3 tags... YAAAY!!!

Old 10th June 2004, 15:36   #70
shaneh
Major Dude

0.5a5

Alpha Preview 0.5a5

Ok... quite a few internal changes which will probably break some stuff, but we'll see how we go.

Changes
+ID3 cover images
+Toast toggle hot key, & global enable toasts option
+Modified fullscreen detection code
+Different compile options, kinda borked, in order to use id3lib.dll (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...s.zip?download)

You must put id3lib.dll in the main winamp directory. It is delay loaded, so if you choose not to use id3 covers it will not load it unless you need it, and you can even remove it completely if you are not using it. I have another version which doesn't use id3lib.dll but is around 200kb. I think this is the best compromise between size/overhead etc. And you could update id3lib.dll to a newer version later on.

id3lib is 500kb so I couldnt attach it, but you can get it here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/i...s.zip?download

You need to get the id3lib.dll from the Release directory and put it in you main winamp directory.

I dont use id3 covers myself, so would be interested to see how it goes with others.

The fullscreen detection was working ok for me for videos, perhaps other people had some other window set in 'always on top' or something which may have been tripping it. Either way, this new version should be a little better, but probably still not perfect. As I said, theres no known fool-proof method of doing it.

I was always planning on putting a toggle toasts hot key, so seeing as you guys seemed to want it I bumped it up the list a bit.

Assuming there is nothing show-stoppingly buggy with this release, I will put it up as a beta as soon as I put together some documentation. I can tolerate a few bugs or missing features for now, just as long as it wouldnt be considered a downgrade from 0.4.

@roth377: If you want to take up more of the space created from a large album cover, you can use \n to create new lines and leave blank lines etc. Otherwise there is the 'open source notifier' going around in the modern skins forum.

EDIT: Theres a small bug with the background colour choosing the wrong colour. It picks the background window colour rather than the playlist colour which is different on some skins. Will have to massage it a bit.

EDIT2: The fullscreen detection seems to be even worse in this version sigh...
Attached Files
File Type: zip toaster.zip (52.4 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by shaneh; 10th June 2004 at 16:00.
Old 10th June 2004, 17:35   #71
electricmime
Major Dude

where do you put /n?

and when you do put an option to move the cover where you choose.. will it have 4 options (top bottom left and right) and then also the option to put it in the format section (if you turn art off, it only turns it off in those locations, but not if its placed in the format section)

though i wasnt expecting on moving the album art.. i might if i could do this as the string $if(cpm(:cover=1),%cover%,%album%)

or whatever you would put so if it sees art, it puts the art up, and if no art is found, it displays the album title instead..

and thx, the id3 tags didnt work at first, but they are now(i dont think i put the file in the right location).. so now i can see album art on more than the 2 albums i put folder.jpg in to test it!

Old 10th June 2004, 21:07   #72
philly4

shaneh, awesome plugin. Would there be a way to have an option that toaster detect whether there the current skin is modern or classic and turn off when it is modern. Even better would to detect whether the modern skin has a notifyer with it. Right now if i switch to a modern skin both toaster and the skin's notifyer pop up.
Old 10th June 2004, 21:11   #73
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by philly4
Right now if i switch to a modern skin both toaster and the skin's notifyer pop up.
why not just disable the skin's notifier? what advantages does it have?
[edit]
(not meant offensive... )

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2004, 23:24   #74
philly4

The advantage is that a notifier for a modern skin is skined to "go with" the modern skin. If you change the color theme, the notifier will change with it etc. Toaster always defaults to the same with modern skins. Not a big deal, but it seems like it would be easy to implement.
Old 11th June 2004, 08:21   #75
skinme!
Forum King

I think he means turn the notifier off just when Toaster is running.

Old 11th June 2004, 09:27   #76
electricmime
Major Dude

or turn toaster off when the notifier is on (he did just add a hotkey for that

because i thought his complaint was that the notifier can steal the color theme as well as the skin?

Old 11th June 2004, 18:51   #77
bubkaii

Send a message via AIM to bubkaii
is anyone else getting the toast_track.jpg and toast_http.jpg working? i do a good bit of internet radio... thanks

/edit

nevermind put in same dir as toaster.ini /winamp
bubkaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2004, 20:14   #78
ilyag

I wonder, is there any way to put the state of Shuffle in the Toaster popup?

I have a hotkey to toggle it but none to view what I'm toggling it to (yet)...
ilyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2004, 00:36   #79
shaneh
Major Dude

I considered making a whole bunch of different ATF tags for things like volume, shuffle status, eq settings and so forth, but haven't put them in yet. I'll probably chuck in shuffle status and volume at least for the beta I'll release today - it usually takes a couple days for it to be put through on winamp though.
Old 12th June 2004, 04:00   #80
shaneh
Major Dude

v0.5b1

v0.5b1 has been submitted to Winamp, just a matter of waiting for the reviewers to publish it. Hopefully not long

(Though I do have some other plugins there that have been unpublished for well over a couple months now

Changes:
+Cover image positioning (left/top/bottom/right)
+Ability to make the text not be limited by the cover image
+Ability to center cover image
+%hascover% tag
+%shuffle% tag
+Alternate colour mode for using the item fg/bg instead of window fg/bg. pretty cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toastlarge.jpg (71.4 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by shaneh; 12th June 2004 at 04:26.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development