Old 20th July 2004, 12:54   #121
vardan13

Send a message via Yahoo to vardan13
Sorry to hear about your injury shaneh.. Thanks for replying inspite of the injuries !Get well soon...
I as inquiring about the mouse support...the current toaster version I have shows that its currently under development, any work going on on that? Take your time buddy....but be aware that people are eagerly awaiting the next realease of your awesome plugin

Vardan
http://vardan.blogspot.com
P.S. Do you have a webpage which u update regularly?
vardan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:29   #122
shaneh
Major Dude

Ah yes, the mouse actions. Im still unclear what direction I plan on taking that - but I have some idea.

A quite easy plugin I have been meaning to develop but still havent got around to, will incorporate some of this functionality. It will basically be an 'actions' plugin, which will allow you to run a program/visit a web site etc using arguments defined with ATF. It will be available from the right click menu of the playlist and via hot keys, but I also want to have Toaster use it as well somehow.

An example might be: Define an 'action' such as:

"iexplore http://amazone/cover?%album%"

where %album% would be filled in using ATF. You could use it to delete files, visit web sites, play all songs by an artist, view the directory in explorer etc. A generic plugin which will let you do definable actions on playlist items, with ATF arguments. This will make developing "plugins" that just perform some action on a particular item as easy as writing a .bat file when combined with this plugin. Pretty nifty IMHO.

The dual monitor support has priority at the moment, I'll look at adding the mouse action stuff after I write that 'actions' plugin as I will probably use some of the code.

I dont have a website as yet, its something Ive been meaning to do. As I want a fairly permanent host/dns etc its something that takes a bit of thought and planning which I havent had time for yet.
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 08:20   #123
skinme!
Forum King

One little nagging thing: in the position settings (for the toasters), could you explicitly add all four corners plus Automatic. I use Winamp in docked windowshade mode at the top of my screen so it's impossible to get toasters to pop up in the traditional bottom right!

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 23:37   #124
D&B
Banned

Just found this plugin, awesome! Thanks!
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 20:06   #125
d3x7r0

Send a message via Skype™ to d3x7r0
Sorry to bring this up but have there been any developments in this plugin?

NOTE: I am Dextro!
d3x7r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 12:34   #126
shaneh
Major Dude

No updates at this time, but I am trying to add support for multi-monitor setups. I am also going to add support for ATF processing on the filename to use for finding the album picture. I might add a couple other small things, but nothing ground breaking.

Im working on a completely new version of Toaster, which will use HTML for the display. It will be quite cool, the ability to customise it should be pretty nice. It will allow some pretty powerful stuff, with hyperlinks, images, scripts, buttons, edit boxes etc. Will be pretty cool IMHO. I'll develop it as a different branch as Toaster.

Unfortuantly its a bit slow goingat the moment, as the web browser hosting stuff is reasonably complicated, or at least the event handling part.
Old 12th August 2004, 14:14   #127
skinme!
Forum King

Cool! I was going to suggest links to Google I'm Feeling Lucky searches for lyrics but it should be easy with the new version!

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 20:06   #128
d3x7r0

cool, I'll be waiting for that

Old 12th August 2004, 22:58   #129
JRSellers
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by XanDaMan
PLEASE

Enable us to move the toast window elsewhere. Since my taskbar is at the top of my screen, the toast always appears at the top.

Moving it would enable me to put it at the bottom liek the modern skisn put it...other wises alls well and good.
To correct that sort of problem, I'm using a utility called Shove-it @ Phord Software. It was designed for Windows 95, but it works great with Windows XP.

Not an ad.
JRSellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 10:13   #130
saivert
Banned

To shaneh:

Are you using my code to do the ATF thingy. It's a Winamp API feature, and you can use $ifgreater instead of making up your own %cmp:...% construct, like:

$ifgreater(%bitrate%, 200, High Quality, Low Quality)

Please check out the full specs of the ATF functions included with foobar2000 (a media player by Peter Pawlowski) which also uses ATF.
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004, 15:22   #131
shaneh
Major Dude

Its a modification of your code, its got a few additions like the ability to pass stuff onto the media library and so forth. I did send an email to you with the modified code, but perhaps it got lost somewhere. There was a pretty serious bug in 'parse_escapes' too, with not zeeroing memory correctly.

I didnt see any 'official' documentation of ATF anywhere. Is the ATF used by foobar2000 the same as winamp? Will things like $ifgreater work? is there a $ifequal %artist%, %album% type construct.?

I didnt want to make up my own construct, but at the same time I thought using %cmp...% would be more compatible than using something like $cmp. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

My new version of Toaster will use HTML and scripting etc so the need to extend ATF wont matter so much hopefully.

PS. 0.5b4 is now available, however it is only a minor upgrade.
Old 24th August 2004, 08:21   #132
saivert
Banned

Yeah, I know!
There was a lot of bugs in the first versions of NxS Balloon Tip Notification plug-in. I have fixed a lot since then. If you download the latest from my homepage (soon to be available at Winamp.com too) you may see it's now much more clean and robust.

I like Toaster too, but since I'm only using Windows XP as an operating system I stick with the integrated balloon tips feature. It's the best user interface feature Microsoft has invented so far. It removes the need to display annoying Message boxes all the time. Just do a balloon popup and the user can read it when he/shes got time.
Old 8th October 2004, 01:54   #133
ivand67

Shane... Any updates for Toaster? I know you had plans for some mouse actions and some other goodies...

One request is to be able to make more lines of text in the notification... up to 10 maybe, that way people could put the year, track number and genre and other stuff at the bottom of the pop-up, and the more important stuff (rating, name of the song, artist and album), at the top.

Other than that, this $h!t is flawless! And I finally got around to getting album covers for like 90% of my MP3s, which was like 10 hours worth of crap!
ivand67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 17:31   #134
roth377

Quote:
Originally posted by ivand67
... I finally got around to getting album covers for like 90% of my MP3s, which was like 10 hours worth of crap!
Out of curiosity, why did it take so long. Were you putting them into the actual MP3's, or making folder images?
roth377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2004, 01:52   #135
shaneh
Major Dude

I plan on making a small update to Toaster to include line spacing options and some optimizations with doing the ATF stuff and reading meta data.

You can have multiple lines in Toaster by using \n in the format strings. The 4 lines are really just 4 different formatting options for however many lines you want. Due to the way Toaster is optimised internally it is difficult to account for changing sized strings, and cant dynamically size the window without a re-think about the internal design of the plugin, so Im working on something new which should help this problem. Though there is a bit of an issue with getting id3 cover images using this method, but I can think of a few ways around this.

This will also allow very customizable mouse actions. Take a look at the notify.hta application in my winamp scripting plugin to see what I mean.

@roth377: I think he was referring to 10 hours of crap music not the time taken to get the images.
Old 13th October 2004, 18:54   #136
ivand67

Quote:
Originally posted by roth377
Out of curiosity, why did it take so long. Were you putting them into the actual MP3's, or making folder images?
Well, because I don't do folders for each MP3 that I have... I only do folders for an album if I have the entire album, so yes, I had to put them inside the MP3 tags. That, and of course, fixing the tags themselves... that's why it took me 10 hours, and I did it 1 hour every other day or something, I'm not that crazy. And when I said "10 hours worth of crap" I didn't mean that 90% of my MP3s are crap... it's just that it wasn't the most pleasant thing to do.

I used moreTunes and sometimes it's not that easy to find the covers either.

Toaster and moreTunes are the best plug-ins for Winamp (although moreTunes is stand-alone, it works directly with Winamp).

Quote:
Originally posted by shaneh
I plan on making a small update to Toaster to include line spacing options and some optimizations with doing the ATF stuff and reading meta data.

You can have multiple lines in Toaster by using \n in the format strings. The 4 lines are really just 4 different formatting options for however many lines you want.
Cool! Anyways, I'll try the \n for more lines. This shit looks off the hook on my laptop... last week a friend of mine came over and he saw this and was thoroughly impressed.

Edit: it works perfectly with the "\n"! Now I have it setup absolutely perfect...

The only thing that I still have to fix is something that I'm sure you could help me with Shane. In the last line, I have the track number and year, but when the MP3 doesn't have a track number or year, the number symbol and a comma show up, which I know there's a way to fix, just like you used the $if prefix and parenthesis (but I just don't know what to put in there to hide it)... here's an example:

How can I make those characters in the second shot disappear? (the # symbol, -1 when there's no track number and the comma)?

Oh by the way, I have a simple request: allow for not just bold, but also italics and underlined text for the lines.

Last edited by ivand67; 13th October 2004 at 19:56.
Old 15th October 2004, 08:20   #137
shaneh
Major Dude

The -1 problem should be fixed in the next version, I havent had heaps of time to work on it though. In theory the comma should disappear if you use

[, %year%] instead of just %year%.

Italics etc can be easily done, I may add it. However there are hundreds of different formatting options I could include and I have to draw the line somewhere. That is why the webified version of Toaster will be much more powerful, you can format the tip however you like using html and scripting. As a bonus you can also add all sorts of cool scripts and controls to the tip to do whatever you like.
I have the code necessary to do this now, I am just held back by the problem of ID3 covers using this scheme, I want to come up with a clean solution without using temp files. This may not be possible, as even Outlook uses temp files for html emails.
Old 15th October 2004, 10:46   #138
electricmime
Major Dude

in the web version, will it be possible to add a volume slider or seeking bar? and will it be possible to have glowing/unlit stars for ratings?(like when you rate products on some sites how it has the unlit stars, then when you glide your mouse over them, they highlight, and then when you click em, they stay lit)

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 16:40   #139
shaneh
Major Dude

Yes that sort of stuff would be possible. A seek bar is a bit tricky, I dont know of a standard way of setting the seek position. But a few other plugins do it so I guess its possible.

Its limited to whatever you can do with DHTML and script and the limitations of the winamp scripting plugin. Ill also make a few extensions like customized right-click menus and scroll wheel event notifications etc.
Old 10th November 2004, 17:50   #140
brotherS

Hi,

I'd really like to see a new setting to see the actual volume being displayed in the Toaster display, as I understand it that's not possible at the moment. A simple: "Volume: 55%" would be enough.

Btw: I recommend trying the DFX plugin - it's for audio enhancement and much more than an equalizer, I don't want to listen to music without it anymore! Here's the URL:
http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/
brotherS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2004, 04:35   #141
shaneh
Major Dude

I can add a %volume% tag easy enough, but the trouble is Toaster only refreshes when it is popped up, or when the rating changes. Thus volume changes will not cause it to update the display. It will just display what the volume is at the point at which it is displayed.

I imagine youd probably want it to change to give feedback as youre changing the volume. This is possible to do, but the current architecture causes a fair bit of redundant processing to do. However since voume changes are relatively rare, it shouldnt be a huge issue. I will see how it goes.

The new version of Toaster in the works will allow this sort of stuff a lot better. It will work together with ActiveWinamp to allow much more than just this. You will even be able to change the volume using a slider on the Toaster window as it pops up, for example.
Old 12th November 2004, 08:53   #142
saivert
Banned

Winamp sends itself a message when the volume changes, look:
code:

#define IPC_CB_MISC 603
#define IPC_CB_MISC_TITLE 0
#define IPC_CB_MISC_VOLUME 1 // <--- volume/pan
#define IPC_CB_MISC_STATUS 2
#define IPC_CB_MISC_EQ 3
#define IPC_CB_MISC_INFO 4
#define IPC_CB_MISC_VIDEOINFO 5

if (uMsg==WM_WA_IPC && lParam==IPC_CB_MISC && wParam==IPC_CB_MISC_VOLUME)
{
PopupToaster(); //pseudo code, right??
}

Old 12th November 2004, 12:02   #143
shaneh
Major Dude

Yeah I know, I use similar stuff in ActiveWinamp. Its just 'popuptoaster()' does a lookup in the ml and re-reads all meta data and re-loads the image etc, as potentially all sorts of stuff could have changed. When only the volume changes this shouldnt be necessary.

So asI said, theres a fair bit of redundant processing involved, but as its not something that happens all the time, it doesnt matter too much.

But with Toaster 6, you could respond to the volumechanged event, and only modify the volume parts of the display using DHTML without re-reading everything.
Old 15th November 2004, 08:47   #144
vardan

when will the wait be over?

Shaneh,

any updates on when we'll be able to see toaster v0.6 ?

Waiting anxiously
Vardan
vardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004, 14:34   #145
shaneh
Major Dude

I have a small update to 0.5 which is mostly just a few internal improvements. I'll try push this release out soon, though it wont bring any new features to get excited about...

I have all the code etc for v0.6, I just need some time to put it all together. It will most likely go through a few buggy alpha releases initially too. v0.6 will be a little more resource intensive and require ActiveWinamp etc, so some people will probably want to stick with the 0.5 series. Thus I will maintain them as separate branches/plugins.

It wont take too long to put together, I just havent got around to it. I will try put at least something together this week.
Old 15th November 2004, 14:37   #146
d3x7r0

NICE

Can't wait for it Shaneh, toster is the greatest plugin I ever seen (after JTFE ) and I use it all the time, just a pity you never got round to complete the mouse actions in 0.5

Old 15th November 2004, 14:43   #147
shaneh
Major Dude

I could make the mouse actions work with ActiveWinamp in v0.5 without too much effort. Just by placing a "leftclick.vbs" etc scripts which will get executed as appropriate. This is similar to what v0.6 will allow, but I could do it in such a way with v0.5 that it would cause hardly any overhead for people that dont have activewinamp.

What do you think? It would be a lot less effort than internally supporting all sorts of different "actions" and would be a fair bit more flexible.
Old 15th November 2004, 14:46   #148
d3x7r0

I'm not familiared with activewinamp so I can't make my judgment on it, I'm just for the lowest memory and cpu usage as possible

Old 17th November 2004, 00:46   #149
D&B
Banned

Hey shaneh,

Lately I have switched to Foobar. Any chance of it getting any toaster love?
Old 17th November 2004, 04:55   #150
shaneh
Major Dude

I should be able to port Toaster over to Foobar without too much trouble, Ive designed it in such a way that the popup and the winamp specific stuff are fairly separate. Just the skinning part is a bit merged, but not too difficult to swap over. Im working on the skinning a bit anyway.

I will wait a while before doing a port however. If I switch over to Foobar I will definetely port it over, but I wont be doing that until there is a decent media library under foobar.

EDIT: Actually I think foo_looks is capable of doing pretty much the same thing and more.

Last edited by shaneh; 17th November 2004 at 06:24.
Old 17th November 2004, 08:46   #151
D&B
Banned

Hey, dont mean to hijack this thread but...

I saw in one of the "WINAMP IS TEH DIEING" threads that you were getting fed up with winamp dev, and myself as a user I have switched over to foobar fulltime.

One of the things I missed was a ML as well, but I have found a solution that is frankly even better for my taste. Foobar has a database (any file in an open playlist is automatically in the database, and for permamanently remembering files you can set nice directory/filetype restrictions), and a few nice database search tools as well.

But anyway, there is a component called Album list, that uses the database to display all your media in one of several views (Album,Artist,Genre,Year,artist/album,directory structure). I find that the artist/album display is a good enough ML replacement for me, and the directory structure view is amazing.

Combine that with colums_ui,tabs_ui,and some of the panels available for columns_ui (taginfo,albumart,albumlist panel, playlist find), the inherently better playlists and TAGZ library, and foo_looks with the pilot one skin...and I am hooked. I really cant say enough good things about foobar. Plus its open nature ensures that it cant be lost to a private companies mismanagement. The component nature of it is much better then WA any way.

And hey, a decent ML could probably be built on top of the already existing database, so if album list wasnt good enough, maybe you can make a ML component

Anyway the only reason I was asking is I know I would love a toaster for foobar, and I am sure others were, and part of me would be happy just seeing your name showing up on the forums over there, because I am now just as die hard a foobar user as I used to be with winamp
Old 17th November 2004, 08:52   #152
vardan

badrad...all this is tempting me to switch over

winamp guys might get annoyed at the negative publicity ? what say you ?
Old 17th November 2004, 10:54   #153
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by vardan
badrad...all this is tempting me to switch over

winamp guys might get annoyed at the negative publicity ? what say you ?
1. Nothing says I have to be a winamp fanatic to post here.

2. I still think winamp is a great program (its just no longer the best).

3. None of the original winamp guys are around anyway. (well, not as nullsoft anyway)

And about Foobar, just try it out, see if YOU like it or not. I will say this, it is definitely for more advanced users. But if your up to snuff for sniffing out the components/configurations you like, and getting it all set up, you might just become a convert.
Old 18th November 2004, 02:03   #154
shaneh
Major Dude

Im well aware of album list et al, however one of the nice things about the winamp ML is the ability to have a column showing the rating and playcount, played last etc and quickly being able to find songs that you havent played in a while, or much of etc by sorting with those columns.

The support for ratings and playcounts etc is kind of lacking in fb2k at the moment, it involves using non-standard fields in id3v1 tags etc, and Im not that impressed by it. However, this will be fixed, and Im sure a nice ML will come, and that would be great. I may even take a look into it myself.

But it doesnt make too much sense to port Toaster over, as foo_looks already does this. In a similar way that free form skins are able to do it under winamp (albeit in a somewhat more limited manner). Unless people want the toasts without using foo_looks, or want a simple way to add rich notifer support to looks that dont support a notifier. However I think the overrides stuff in foo_looks may let you do this.

When I get the time, I will see if porting it would add anything over what foo_looks v2 is already capable of providing. I think there is a significant number of people that dont use foo_looks because of bloat and bugs etc (one of the reasons to use foobar in the first place), in the same way people dont use modern skins in winamp. So it could be worthwhile.
Old 18th November 2004, 02:12   #155
ivand67

I'll give Foobar a try myself, but honestly, with plug-ins like Toaster, Time Restore and Autoplay, Album List and Jump To File, along with all the features Winamp has by itself, I'm not missing anything but DVD playback, which is possible but not fully supported or even automated through PowerPlayer II.

Winamp, at least right now, has it all, and it supports all media formats including Quicktime and Real Player.

How is Foobar better???
Old 18th November 2004, 02:22   #156
shaneh
Major Dude

Quote:
How is Foobar better???
Well IMHO, at the moment at least, its not. Depending on what you want in a player, it might be though. But it has the potential to be much better, as it isnt restricted in the same way winamp is in where it can go.

Probably the nicest feature currently is the cool columns playlist and much enhanced title formatting. It might not seem like much, but a media player basically consists of a UI, codec, playlist and memory/cpu footprint. As the codec is pretty much the same from player to player, with the UI/playlist and memory footprint being better in foobar theres not more to judge on. However, as Ive said, the media library support is lacking. Plus there are far fewer plugins for foobar. But then again, foobar has far better support for extensibility and plugins etc, and is fairly new.
Old 24th November 2004, 01:45   #157
shaneh
Major Dude

I know I said Id try get an update last week, but Ive been working through it a bit and have decided to add a bit more than I originally intended. Plus I went out and got written off 4 times last week which didnt leave too many sober or non hung over hours to do anything. The updates should be worth the wait, and will probably put off 0.6 for a while.

Will hopefully at least get an alpha preview or something out *this* week...
Old 24th November 2004, 02:38   #158
vardan

Yay !
I just woke up and read this.
Thats good news!

Old 24th November 2004, 15:36   #159
shaneh
Major Dude

Im hoping to get something by the end of the week, heres a sneek preview of some stuff, has some nice transparency effects. If anyone knows of or has a cool graphic for the skin let me know. Parsing and using modern skins wont be done, at least for this release. I may incorporate some recolorisation as done by winamp if it prooves easy enough to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freeform.jpg (43.3 KB, 265 views)
Old 24th November 2004, 16:12   #160
roth377

WOW...

That's awesome!

This is still a plug-in for Winamp, right? Or is it a seperate program?

Regardless, that seems like the possibilities are going to be HUGE!

Kudos!
roth377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development