Old 30th March 2005, 15:55   #121
siebe83
Forum King

Ok, I have put in quite a few links to make terminology more useful and to make browsing the doc easier. More is possible, of course, but I think that would make it only unreadable...
I'm thinking of making the internal links in another color, not sure about that yet.
http://joonas.ne1.net/documentation/index.shtml

This means that the v1.0 readme is complete! Unless you guys think things could be done better or are missing, of course... This is the moment to say so!

We'll just wait now till Jonas tells us what (if) he wants to do concerning v1.01 and then I'll update the existing readme accordingly to be bundled in the installer (i.e. move known issues to version history; change all references to v1.0 to v1.1; etc.).

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 17:28   #122
mrym

really nice job seibe, jojo and billyvnilly!

one suggestion, it might be better to add explanation for bitrate in known issue.
Quote:
<someone>Bitrate column doens't work for .ogg .wma etc... files!

<joonas>And never will work. It's not a DL bug. It's the decoder that doesn't put bitrate into a tag that Winamp can read. Don't ask me how ML gets them. Perhaps it's running them through the decoder or something.
mrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 18:50   #123
siebe83
Forum King

Thanks mrym

Dunno about that bitrate. The problem is, the 'Known issues' section is in the first place meant for DL problems, and not for problems with input plugins. But then again, probably a lot of people will wonder about this, so it might be good to add it anyway. Also this problem is a bit vague, since it's not completely clear wether it's a problem with DL or with the input plugins (I'd say the latter, but I'm not sure). So yes, I think I'll add it
(unless others think it shouldn't be there?)
[edit]
On second thought, it definitely should be mentioned somewhere in the readme, I think... Probably under known issues...
[/edit]

Jonas, if you read this... Is it correct that with the original v1.0 an outdated English language file was bundled, which is fixed in v1.01?

Old 30th March 2005, 21:52   #124
Joonas
Forum King

@siebe: hope not!

I have updated the 1.01 version on the website now. It shouldn't have the Windows-shutdown bug either now...

Is there anything left I've missed?
Joonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 21:59   #125
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
can you resubmit your plugin (although now is not the best time since the database if fux0red ) and append the DL website to your comment, otherwise im sure DrO or a user could do it.

[edit)@joonas, alrighty

Last edited by billyvnilly; 30th March 2005 at 22:21.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 22:05   #126
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by billyvnilly
can you resubmit your plugin (although now is not the best time since the database if fux0red ) and append the DL website to your comment, otherwise im sure DrO or a user could do it.
I will resubmit when 1.01 checks out and the readme is done. I really don't think the 1.0 version should be available at all later...
Old 30th March 2005, 22:23   #127
jojo 544
Major Dude

I just read on the 1.1 beta forum about the Ctrl+tab.
That hotkey isn't in the readme. Infact it's more like a winamp hotkey then a DL hotkey, but sinse Jonas made it work in DL too, maybe it could also be added, or not?

*sigh (still) under construction*
jojo 544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 23:10   #128
siebe83
Forum King

Yeah, I guess that should be mentioned somewhere. Probably under hotkeys...

Jonas, I noticed that in v1.01 (and probably in v1.0 too, dunno) the & character doesn't work properly. In the language files it just says & where it should say &&
The only string in which that character is used is 262.
So you'd need to edit that string for when no language file is selected (i.e. default), the English language file and the Swedish language file. In the other language files the & character isn't used.

[edit]
- Beta page updated: added a bit more info on the win9x version
- Documentation updated to include bitrate issue and Ctrl+Tab
- Language files page updated

Last edited by siebe83; 31st March 2005 at 00:04.
Old 31st March 2005, 10:24   #129
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
I have updated the 1.01 version on the website now. It shouldn't have the Windows-shutdown bug either now...

Is there anything left I've missed?
I downloaded that version, but the compiled date still says March 23...

As for the things missed, except for my previous post, no... I can't reproduce the crashing when removing roots from roots/cache management anymore, so forget about that.

The readme for v1.01 is ready, btw. The only thing I'd like to do is make new screenshots and hopefully add the & issue to the changelog...
After you release it I'll update the doc on the website too.
Btw, in the readme I wrote the readme can be found in \Winamp\plugins\dl\Readme, will that be correct?
i.e.:
\Winamp\Plugins\dl\Readme\readme.html
\Winamp\Plugins\dl\Readme\images\*.gif

Maybe you could make an installer including the readme to see if it all works. Maybe even an option at the end of the installer to open the readme?
I attached what I have now...
Attached Files
File Type: zip dl readme.zip (79.9 KB, 199 views)

Old 31st March 2005, 14:15   #130
Joonas
Forum King

A new 1.01 version up now with readme.
Old 31st March 2005, 14:50   #131
siebe83
Forum King

Mmmh, nice, a help button...

I'll update readme asap...

Btw, you forgot to fix the missing & character when no language file is selected... Language files are ok now.

Old 31st March 2005, 15:12   #132
siebe83
Forum King

Ok here it is. Finished.

I changed the html file and some screenshots...
Attached Files
File Type: zip dl readme final.zip (80.3 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by siebe83; 31st March 2005 at 15:36.
Old 1st April 2005, 08:36   #133
siebe83
Forum King

Jonas, there's one more thing in the English template file you could fix:
214=Invert
should be:
214=Invert selection

Old 2nd April 2005, 12:20   #134
mrym

v1.01 working fine, and yes, readme file is great!
joonas and folks, i made images for resubmission.
what do you guys think about this?
if you like this idea, could you translate into correct english?
or could you add or change the item in the "Feature" section?
(because of my english is bad.)
i will fix images as soon as possible .
(if you don't like this, please tell me your honestly opinion, i don't worry about that. )
Attached Files
File Type: zip image.zip (21.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 2nd April 2005, 14:05   #135
jojo 544
Major Dude

mrym, i don't realy get what you mean with these pic's. Do you want some kind of readme inside the DL window?

*sigh (still) under construction*
jojo 544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2005, 14:08   #136
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
mrym, i don't realy get what you mean with these pic's. Do you want some kind of readme inside the DL window?
He wants them as screenshots on the Plugins section on winamp.com. Where there are just some general screenshots now...
Old 2nd April 2005, 15:38   #137
mrym

hmm, sounds like not good response though...what do you think?
Old 2nd April 2005, 16:38   #138
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mrym
hmm, sounds like not good response though...what do you think?
[ url=http://www.freephotoserver.com/tn/screen9041.jpg][Image][/ url]
I think the idea is okay. It certainly lifts up the features
Old 2nd April 2005, 19:55   #139
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Re: Win9x/Me readme and installation

@ Jonas and Siebe...

I think there may be a "common denominator" for all Win95 users re: the DL (and other Winamp components/ plugins). This may work out the differences Jonas and I had with DL problems in our separate Win95 installations and might also help make things easier for Siebe when he creates the Win9x/Me readme for the DL too. It concerns installing the full IE 5.01 sp2 package in Win95, in order to obtain the "proper" Comctl32.dll file.

This revelation came about after I experienced problems with a new plugin DrO developed, and then with DJ Egg's help, I resolved the problem, but by doing so, I also feel that it could be of benefit to DL too on Win9x systems. This is the thread. Begin by reading from this post in that thread.
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2005, 20:38   #140
Joonas
Forum King

Re: Re: Win9x/Me readme and installation

Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
@ Jonas and Siebe...

I think there may be a "common denominator" for all Win95 users re: the DL (and other Winamp components/ plugins). This may work out the differences Jonas and I had with DL problems in our separate Win95 installations and might also help make things easier for Siebe when he creates the Win9x/Me readme for the DL too. It concerns installing the full IE 5.01 sp2 package in Win95, in order to obtain the "proper" Comctl32.dll file.

This revelation came about after I experienced problems with a new plugin DrO developed, and then with DJ Egg's help, I resolved the problem, but by doing so, I also feel that it could be of benefit to DL too on Win9x systems. This is the thread. Begin by reading from this post in that thread.
So does DL work for you now?
I had no problems whatsoever after my install of IE5...but you never got DL in the main Winamp menu?
Old 2nd April 2005, 21:16   #141
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
So does DL work for you now?
I had no problems whatsoever after my install of IE5...but you never got DL in the main Winamp menu?
DL works great now for me Jonas, but remember when you said in your earlier post that DL doesn't show up in the main Winamp menu? This is what you had said...
Quote:
With IE 5.0 I got it semi-running. But some menus are missing and DL doesn't show up in the main Winamp menu.
So you did have problems in that regard after installing 5.0. Right? And that's why I linked to the "One for Nunz" thread above, so that you can install IE 5.1 sp2 as I did. It cleared up all my Win95 system probs as far as I can see, and should do the same for you (and others).

Also, even before that, I posted about how I got the DL menu to always show up now. Did you miss that post? I had assumed that you did because you hadn't responded and I assumed that you still did not have DL in Winamp's right-click context menu.

I'm confused.
Old 2nd April 2005, 21:24   #142
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
DL works great now for me Jonas, but remember when you said in your earlier post that DL doesn't show up in the main Winamp menu? This is what you had said...So you did have problems in that regard after installing 5.0. Right? And that's why I linked to the "One for Nunz" thread above, so that you can install IE 5.1 sp2 as I did. It cleared up all my Win95 system probs as far as I can see, and should do the same for you (and others).

Also, even before that, I posted about how I got the DL menu to always show up now. Did you miss that post? I had assumed that you did because you hadn't responded and I assumed that you still did not have DL in Winamp's right-click context menu.

I'm confused.
Hehe, sorry. I missed that post before...No I had no Windows-related problems after installing IE 5. The problem was ASFAICR (as far as I can recall ) DL-related...meaning that there was some API that didn't work quite the same in 95...

But everything looks fine in my virtual 95-session. Both in Modern skin and Classic skin.
Old 2nd April 2005, 21:46   #143
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Ahhh. Okay. I see. Perhaps you already had the Modern skin selected and had access to the menu immediately that way. In my case, I could only get the menu to appear by switching from Classic (which I was always using up till then) to Modern, and then back again.

Anyway, Siebe can still notify people to first install/upgrade to IE 5.01 sp2 in a Win9x/Me readme, before anyone attempts to install the Win9x/Me version of DL, so that any chance of problems can be avoided that way, for all Win95 (and possibly Win98) users.
Old 2nd April 2005, 21:47   #144
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
[B]Ahhh. Okay. I see. Perhaps you already had the Modern skin selected and had access to the menu immediately that way. In my case, I could only get the menu to appear by switching from Classic (which I was always using up till then) to Modern, and then back again.
Nooooo! I never use Modern skins for other than testing...worked fine before and after I switched to test though...
Old 2nd April 2005, 21:51   #145
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Okay. I guess that perhaps my system was borked in other ways too then.
Installing IE 5.01 sp2 cleared everything up. So a notification in a readme to install IE 5.01 sp2 should prevent any problems.
Old 2nd April 2005, 22:00   #146
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Okay. I guess that perhaps my system was borked in other ways too then.
Installing IE 5.01 sp2 cleared everything up. So a notification in a readme to install IE 5.01 sp2 should prevent any problems.
Yup

[edit]
A weird thing not DL-related is that I had to use a German boot disc to get Win95 installed...and even though it is a Swedish release of Windows I still get German in some dialogs
[/edit]
Old 2nd April 2005, 22:04   #147
siebe83
Forum King

When I'm going to make the 'readme', I'll suggest to install IE 5.01 sp2. Then users will have the biggest chance to have it all working properly, right? But I won't be able to say that's the 'ultimate solution'. I'm still quite confused with all those 95 builds and sp's and IE versions

As I look at it now, I think it's best to make a separate page on the website for the win9x version, mentioning some known issues and offering possible fixes (a bit as it is now at the Beta page, but more comprehensively). The suggestion to install IE 5.01 sp2 is at this moment the most logical one, I think

[edit]
@jonas:
hehe, I had that once when I installed an english IE version over a dutch windows version. Very weird. Questions in English, and then 'Ja' or 'Nee'.
Cut, Copy, Paste, Verwijderen (i.e. Delete); stuff like that

Old 3rd April 2005, 10:03   #148
siebe83
Forum King

Just to be sure you don't forget one of these:
- Fix 'Search path & filename' when no language file is loaded
- Fix hotkey indicator 'Delete folder' (i.e. Ctrl+Del)
- English language file, line 214

If you could make a quick .dll build with those fixes, I'll upload final final readme (some changed text and new screenshot) and you could compile the installer.
I'm not pushing you to, don't get me wrong. I just thought it'd be nice to have this finished...

[edit]
I like mrym's idea btw. Although some text needs a bit of editing, I guess...

Old 3rd April 2005, 10:55   #149
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
Just to be sure you don't forget one of these:
- Fix 'Search path & filename' when no language file is loaded
- Fix hotkey indicator 'Delete folder' (i.e. Ctrl+Del)
- English language file, line 214

If you could make a quick .dll build with those fixes, I'll upload final final readme (some changed text and new screenshot) and you could compile the installer.
I'm not pushing you to, don't get me wrong. I just thought it'd be nice to have this finished...

[edit]
The v1.01 exe on the server should contain all mentioned fixes now...
Old 3rd April 2005, 11:38   #150
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
The v1.01 exe on the server should contain all mentioned fixes now...
Nunzio should have a 1.01 version too...9x-zip is an updated version too now
Old 3rd April 2005, 13:57   #151
mrym

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
i'm glad you like my idea.
so, where should i edit text?
please don't hesitate to point out my mistake or tell me your idea.
i'll fix it.
of course decision that use these images or not is joonas's.
Old 3rd April 2005, 14:09   #152
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
i'm glad you like my idea.
so, where should i edit text?
please don't hesitate to point out my mistake or tell me your idea.
i'll fix it.
of course decision that use these images or not is joonas's.
My suggestions to the text would be...this is only suggestions though...

"Requirements" instead of "Requirement"

"Features" instead of "Feature"

"Winamp 5.04" instead of "Winamp5_04"

"Windows 2000 or XP" instead of "Windows2000 or XP"

"Explorer-style treeview" instead of "Explorer folder tree view"

Independent file association I don't quite know what to write...it's not really a file association...more like a filter of valid file extensions..?

"Enqueue after current" are okay as it is. perhaps also note "Enqueue and play"?

"Search filters" instead of "Search specific field"

"Repair playlists" instead of "Generate repair playlist" cause there are no generation involved...

I don't know about Modern skin either...what do you think?
Old 3rd April 2005, 14:51   #153
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Nunzio should have a 1.01 version too...9x-zip is an updated version too now
I just grabbed it, Jonas.

Also, although not really all that important, it's still listed in General Purpose plugins as v1.0 and not v1.01, although the new readme file says v1.01. There was no changelog in the accompanying readme text file, so what changes were made in this release?

Before I installed this release, I completely wiped out the other, including the existing DLL, INI file, and the dl/Cache folder. I did this to see if my upgrade to IE5.01 sp2 eliminated most, if not all previous problems.

I am happy to say that none of the previously experienced problems exist now after my upgrade to IE5.01 sp2...
  • There was no problem whatsoever getting DL to load properly and display in Preferences this time. I did NOT have to disable any other plugins at all.
  • The cache file was in fact properly created the very first time I added in my roots, upon Winamp shutdown.
  • When I right-clicked on Winamp, the context menu appeared immediately. There was absolutely no need to switch/change from Classic to Modern skins. The menu was there from the very beginning.
So, in reality NONE of the previously experienced problems exist now, specifically due to upgrading the Win95 IE version to IE5.01 sp2 > this file in particular (the full installer for 5.01 sp2)

@ Siebe...

So, based on the above, I feel certain changes can now be made to the Beta page at the site...

What you have now...

- Be sure you have at least Internet Explorer 5.0. Dynamic Library needs the updated comctl32.dll that comes with IE5.0. For info and links to IE5.0 download sites, see here.

You may want to change the above to something like this instead...

- Be sure you have at least Internet Explorer 5.01 sp2 installed. Dynamic Library needs the updated comctl32.dll that comes with it, as well as other core Win9x dll files, including: comdlg32, advapi32, msvcrt, oleaut32, olepro32, shdocvw, etc, all of which are libraries also used by Winamp.

Now, if you indicate the above first, then I feel that these things are no longer necessary on the Beta page, since once people see that they need to upgrade to IE 5.01 sp2 before installing DL for 9x/Me these problems should never occur (as they did with me before my upgrade)...

- It has been reported that Dynamic Library sometimes doesn't load properly when other plugins are installed. See here for more info. (Win95 only?)

- When you right-click Winamp, a menu entry for Dynamic Library should appear to open and close DL. It has been reported that this menu entry only appeared after switching to the modern skin and then back to classic. (Win95 only?)

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 3rd April 2005, 15:06   #154
mrym

Quote:
Independent file association I don't quite know what to write...it's not really a file association...more like a filter of valid file extensions..?
i don't know how to write as well...
but i think it's definitely a nice feature.
Quote:
I don't know about Modern skin either...what do you think?
you mean "fully skinned window"?
i don't know about 3rd party modern skin, but at least dl working fine with default modern skin (of course with classic skin working fine).
Old 3rd April 2005, 15:17   #155
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
i don't know how to write as well...
but i think it's definitely a nice feature.you mean "fully skinned window"?

Fully skinned would be good I agree

Quote:
i don't know about 3rd party modern skin, but at least dl working fine with default modern skin (of course with classic skin working fine).
I didn't mean it didn't work...I just wondered if the picture should be of a DL window skinned like a Modern window or as a Classic window?
Old 3rd April 2005, 15:33   #156
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
I just grabbed it, Jonas.

Also, although not really all that important, it's still listed in General Purpose plugins as v1.0 and not v1.01, although the new readme file says v1.01. There was no changelog in the accompanying readme text file, so what changes were made in this release?
I just made all changes done to regular v1.0 also in 9x version. Just thought you shouldn't have to live with those bugs either

I'll have the 1.0 <-> 1.01 thing fixed until next time.
Perhaps 9x should also have an installer on the homepage?
Old 3rd April 2005, 15:41   #157
siebe83
Forum King

Final final readme...
If you include this in the installer, I hope this will be finished at last

Nunzio, in the attached readme there is a changelog (under Version History). Only the changes to the 'regular' DL version since v1.0 are logged though (so not the changes done to the win9x version).

Good to hear everything went well now that you have IE 5.01 sp2. Makes things a lot more simple
Attached Files
File Type: zip dl readme final final.zip (80.3 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by siebe83; 3rd April 2005 at 16:06.
Old 3rd April 2005, 16:13   #158
Joonas
Forum King

Both 9x and regular is updated on server.
Old 3rd April 2005, 16:41   #159
siebe83
Forum King

Website updated conformingly... (i.e. index page, doc, language files)
Except for win9x part... Will makes bigger changes there later today... (I hope...)

"and the unicows.dll file should be placed in your Winamp directory." (from win9x readme)
whoops, I wrote it should be in windows\system...
(on the website..)
oh well, will change that also then...

Old 3rd April 2005, 17:17   #160
mrym

Quote:
I didn't mean it didn't work...I just wondered if the picture should be of a DL window skinned like a Modern window or as a Classic window?
oh, you mean i have used default modern skin instead of default classic skin for the screen shot? am i right?
let's say why i used modern skin.
dl only works wa5, what is the main feature of wa5? i think "modern skin", so i used default modern skin for the screen shot.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development