Old 12th April 2006, 12:08   #81
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by jcdberkeley
This plug-in is wonderful, and I greatly appreciate the effort that has plugged what was, for me, a gaping hole in Winamp's functionality. I eagerly await D&D support in the Media Library, though I understand that's more an issue for the Winamp developers than for a plug-in author.

Regarding this plug-in, however, I do have a couple of points I wanted to make. I've noticed that sorting files in the playlist works properly, but any selected files will be duplicated... so if the whole list is selected, the whole list gets sorted, then repeated, giving two copies of every song, in order; if 5 songs are selected, the list gets sorted, then those 5 songs will be duplicated at the end of the list, also in order. Is this from the plug-in, or a bug in the latest version of Winamp? I don't really want to uninstall it to check, but I am using Winamp 5.21 (Mar 10 2006) and D&D plug in version 1.0a.

I'd also like to join those users asking for a return of the options [middle-click, right-click, etc] for the D&D function, though my reason is different from theirs. I actually like the way it works now, but the current click-hold method lacks something I liked about the middle-click version: right-click emulation. What I mean by that is that when I used to use middle-click to select files to drag & drop, when i finally dropped them in Explorer I was given the same options that I would have if I'd right-clicked the files in Explorer -- Copy Here, Move Here, and Create Shortcut(s) Here. The current version of Drag & Drop doesn't give those options, which can be very useful to have. Could they somehow be implemented with the current method, or not so much?

Thanks again for this plug-in; regardless of my gripes, it's probably my favorite plug-in of all time
I have to get back to coding sometime...haven't written a single DL or D&D line in a month!
Joonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 06:53   #82
Mindflayer

I used it, and instead of copying the files, it moved them... I did not realize this, and after I had done what i wished with the files, I deleted the "copies", it was only through the use of an undelete program I was able to get MOST of them back.

I still lost 41 files in the process. I do not know if this is a bug (moving instead of copying), in which case you may want to fix it, or if this was the intention of the program (in which case you should change the description to reflect that it does a move, and not a copy)
Mindflayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006, 23:55   #83
scamper

Similar for Media Library?

I love this plugin, but I normally do my work through the media library. Is it possible to drag n drop via the media library directly.

Right now, I work around it by selecting the file I want in the Media library, sending to a dummy playlist, and then from that playlist, drag and drop it accordingly.

Thanks

Y
scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 13:09   #84
GreyHound

I love the idea of such a plugin but it would be great if it was possible to move 10 or 20 or 30 files with drag and drop, not just one.
GreyHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 17:37   #85
scamper

GreyHound,

You can drag n drop more than one file. DON'T download the plugin from the winamp site. Go to the authors website and get the updated on there.
scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:30   #86
Joonas
Forum King

I would like some input on how drag n drop should be activated. Would a toggle button be good? Caps lock? Or a user-defined, but then it wouldn't really be visible when you drag n drop or just drag and re-order? Some input please...if anyone have an opinion?

I really have to fix this plugin up...its making me crazy right now :P

But no, it won't be any key-combination like the old version.
Old 3rd May 2006, 21:00   #87
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

I'd like caps locks because it's the closest thing to a key combo. The current click & hold mode is difficult for me.

p.s. I haven't reported any issues with drag n' drop & Windows 2000 to you because there don't seem to be any.
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 18:40   #88
-=LuckyS=-

Yes, indeed. This Plugin acts like the 'real' Drag & Drop from Windows. It will move by default (not copy) if your destination is a directory on the same Drive!

But you will notice if you copy or move by the little + sign.
If you want to change from copy to move or the other way around press Ctrl.

Maybe there is a way to set a default in the options?
'Copy by default'
'Move by default'

But still, I loooove this plugin!!!
-=LuckyS=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 23:19   #89
Joonas
Forum King

Soooo, finally I did put some effort into this. Though the day wasn't long enough for it to be completely finished. (And poor DL, still in shambles...)

This version toggles drag n drop with Caps lock. Future versions will actually look at preferences and let you decide which key combinations will make this toggle. Also maybe a little window or something that will show if drag n drop or default move/select is active.

Anyways, as always, this is a work in progress. Input is welcome but since my time is limited I can't make any promises as when new stuff will be implemented.

[edit]
Can point out that this is Drag n drop version 1.1a.
All you people who still thinks you can only drag n drop ONE file...get this version. It only works in 5.2 and above which supports the new selection API, but it do work. Don't it?
[/edit]

/Joonas
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_dragndrop.zip (24.0 KB, 727 views)
Old 27th May 2006, 10:19   #90
siebe83
Forum King

Is it just me or does drag 'n drop only work when the playlist editor is docked to the top of the screen? Only tested with classic skin.
[edit]It's not really a matter of docked to the top or not, it seems... But when I position the playlist editor lower on the desktop it doesn't work.
Looks like the plugin only looks for mouse movements in the screen area that the playlist would take when the playlist editor is docked to the top. (?)[/edit]

Also, when dragging to a window lower on the screen, the dragged item moves one position lower in the playlist editor.
(and when dragging to a 'higher' window, the item moves up)

Nice to see you're working on this again

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 16:13   #91
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by siebe83
Is it just me or does drag 'n drop only work when the playlist editor is docked to the top of the screen? Only tested with classic skin.
[edit]It's not really a matter of docked to the top or not, it seems... But when I position the playlist editor lower on the desktop it doesn't work.
Looks like the plugin only looks for mouse movements in the screen area that the playlist would take when the playlist editor is docked to the top. (?)[/edit]

Also, when dragging to a window lower on the screen, the dragged item moves one position lower in the playlist editor.
(and when dragging to a 'higher' window, the item moves up)

Nice to see you're working on this again
Okay, I'll try looking at this this weekend.

I wish I had a week to fix DL too!
Old 27th May 2006, 16:39   #92
mrym

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
I wish I had a week to fix DL too!
i wish too!

[ot]congrats for dl downloaded over 100,000.[/ot]
mrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 21:38   #93
Joonas
Forum King

Okay, new version with some fixes. Hopefully siebe's problems won't occur now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_dragndrop.zip (24.3 KB, 714 views)
Old 30th May 2006, 16:54   #94
siebe83
Forum King

Seems to work fine here

Just a thought: the drag 'n drop plugin is currently featured on the winamp.com/plugins page, however that version (0.8) doesn't work with the latest Winamp version. Perhaps an idea to upload either this version or 1.0a.

Old 30th May 2006, 18:38   #95
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Seems to work fine here

Just a thought: the drag 'n drop plugin is currently featured on the winamp.com/plugins page, however that version (0.8) doesn't work with the latest Winamp version. Perhaps an idea to upload either this version or 1.0a.
Yeah I thought about it...but I want to finish it first. It's really just a matter of how to display to the user that he/she is switching between drag n drop / default move AND implement that you can use a custom key shortcut

Anyone got ideas?
Old 30th May 2006, 19:46   #96
retchless

I seem to have stumbled upon a bug.

1) Change to Winamp Classic skin
2) Load a playlist
3) Highlight an entry in the playlist
4) Select "Remove Duplicate Entries" or "Sort" or save the playlist

The highlighted item(s) gets duplicated in the playlist.

If you were saving the playlist when it happened, the proper playlist (without the duplicate) is saved to file, but the winamp playlist is still wrong.

I have only been able to get this bug to present itself in Winamp Classic... I have reproduced this on two machines. Can anyone else reproduce this?

Note: I believe that this bug surfaced after installing Winamp 5.22 (or I didn't notice it before then). It happens with Drag n Drop 1.0a as well.
retchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 19:54   #97
retchless

Quote:
Yeah I thought about it...but I want to finish it first. It's really just a matter of how to display to the user that he/she is switching between drag n drop / default move AND implement that you can use a custom key shortcut

Anyone got ideas?
Idea 1: Leave Drag n Drop on all the time... just make a hybrid between default move & drag n drop. If i'm dragging up and down in the winamp playlist, it should act as normal... but if I drag my mouse off the winamp playlist, it should switch to drag/drop functionality. Ideally, if I select an item(s) in a playlist, and start dragging them around in the list, then stray off the playlist with my mouse, the item(s) should snap back to their original place in the playlist...

Idea 2: Change highlighting colour and mouse cursor when drag and drop is turned on.
Old 30th May 2006, 20:35   #98
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by retchless
I seem to have stumbled upon a bug.

1) Change to Winamp Classic skin
2) Load a playlist
3) Highlight an entry in the playlist
4) Select "Remove Duplicate Entries" or "Sort" or save the playlist

The highlighted item(s) gets duplicated in the playlist.

If you were saving the playlist when it happened, the proper playlist (without the duplicate) is saved to file, but the winamp playlist is still wrong.

I have only been able to get this bug to present itself in Winamp Classic... I have reproduced this on two machines. Can anyone else reproduce this?

Note: I believe that this bug surfaced after installing Winamp 5.22 (or I didn't notice it before then). It happens with Drag n Drop 1.0a as well.
I can't recreate this. Anyone?
Old 30th May 2006, 20:50   #99
siebe83
Forum King

I can reproduce this. For me, it's best visible when there's empty space at the end of the playlist. I.e., when the playlist editor is larger than the playlist itself.
It seems that when you click one of those options, the plugin detects the mouseclick in the playlist editor and drops the selected item (where you clicked that option, i.e. at the end of the playlist). It happens with the Open button > Open URL as well.

As for suggestions to show whether dnd is on/off, I had the same ideas as retchless did. Idea 1 would be nice of course, but maybe difficult to implement?
Alternatively, a different mouse cursor when dnd is on would be nice as well.

Old 30th May 2006, 21:04   #100
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
I can reproduce this. For me, it's best visible when there's empty space at the end of the playlist. I.e., when the playlist editor is larger than the playlist itself.
It seems that when you click one of those options, the plugin detects the mouseclick in the playlist editor and drops the selected item (where you clicked that option, i.e. at the end of the playlist). It happens with the Open button > Open URL as well.

As for suggestions to show whether dnd is on/off, I had the same ideas as retchless did. Idea 1 would be nice of course, but maybe difficult to implement?
Alternatively, a different mouse cursor when dnd is on would be nice as well.
Maybe I am doing it all wrong??

* Loading a playlist with one duplicate entry
* Selecting the last item in the list
* Remove duplicate entries

The only thing that happens is that the duplicate disappears?

[edit]
Though the Remove Duplicate Entries seems broken with or without the Drag n drop plugin. It removes way too many files for me :/
[/edit]
Old 30th May 2006, 21:16   #101
siebe83
Forum King

Mmh, that's odd...

Maybe try this instead:
- Load four files into the playlist editor
- Make sure there's empty space under the last item (i.e., if needed, increase size of playlist editor)
- Select a file
- Click Misc > Sort list > Sort on title

For me, the selected file is then added again to the end of the playlist. The same occurs when choosing Open > Open URL, List Opts > Save list, Misc > File inf > View file info, etc... It has nothing to do with the 'Remove duplicate entries' option specifically.
It does not happen when using the Rem or Sel options...

Old 30th May 2006, 21:19   #102
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Mmh, that's odd...

Maybe try this instead:
- Load four files into the playlist editor
- Make sure there's empty space under the last item (i.e., if needed, increase size of playlist editor)
- Select a file
- Click Misc > Sort list > Sort on title

For me, the selected file is then added again to the end of the playlist. The same occurs when choosing Open > Open URL, List Opts > Save list, Misc > File inf > View file info, etc... It has nothing to do with the 'Remove duplicate entries' option specifically.
It does not happen when using the Rem or Sel options...
Weird...is not happening for me...
Old 30th May 2006, 21:26   #103
siebe83
Forum King

Which Windows theme are you using? I'm using the classic theme (or whatever it is called).
Apart from that, I can't really think of anything that could be related to this. Running a clean install of Winamp full (just installed today)...

Old 30th May 2006, 21:36   #104
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Which Windows theme are you using? I'm using the classic theme (or whatever it is called).
Apart from that, I can't really think of anything that could be related to this. Running a clean install of Winamp full (just installed today)...
* Windows XP SP2 with classic (non-themed) interface
* Clean install of Winamp

But anyways, I just figured a much easier way which doesn't involve even close to as much dirty hacks. And I don't have to come up with a on/off solution either...

Second mouse button now activates drag n drop. Single-click means regular menu...click and hold to drag n drop (as it should be)

see how it works!
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_dragndrop.zip (23.9 KB, 684 views)
Old 30th May 2006, 22:14   #105
retchless

Wow, it's strange that you can't reproduce! Glad you could siebe... I'm not crazy after all.

@Joonas: are you using 5.22?

Also, great idea with the right click and drag. It works quite well.. Although the first time, I tried to right click and drag without selecting first... Which didn't work, obviously. Try the following:

1) Select an item in the playlist
2) right click on a different item and drag... without selecting it first..

As expected, the selected item is the one that gets dragged, not the one that was right clicked on. This isn't a problem, but it's different than typical implementations of right click and drags (like Windows Explorer type). Probably nothing you can do about it.. Just a small usability concern
Old 31st May 2006, 17:29   #106
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Wow, it's strange that you can't reproduce! Glad you could siebe... I'm not crazy after all.

@Joonas: are you using 5.22?

Also, great idea with the right click and drag. It works quite well.. Although the first time, I tried to right click and drag without selecting first... Which didn't work, obviously. Try the following:

1) Select an item in the playlist
2) right click on a different item and drag... without selecting it first..

As expected, the selected item is the one that gets dragged, not the one that was right clicked on. This isn't a problem, but it's different than typical implementations of right click and drags (like Windows Explorer type). Probably nothing you can do about it.. Just a small usability concern
Maybe this release works better?

Drag n drop 1.1c
Old 31st May 2006, 18:17   #107
retchless

Great job with the right click! It works perfectly.

Also, the bug I was complaining about is gone too. No more duplicating entries!

Thanks for everything. This plugin rocks.
Old 31st May 2006, 18:23   #108
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Great job with the right click! It works perfectly.

Also, the bug I was complaining about is gone too. No more duplicating entries!

Thanks for everything. This plugin rocks.
Should I publish it? If someone else could try it too it would be invaluable
Old 31st May 2006, 18:29   #109
DrO

seems to be working fine here from the quick test i've just done with 1.1c. the config action needs something though ie flipping to the d&d prefs page since it seems weird that it's not doing anything. other than that, make sure if you resubmit it to upload all images and the installer otherwise it's likely to fail on the resubmit.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 09:09   #110
Joonas
Forum King

I submitted the plugin with some minor fixes last night. Let's hope it actually works now
Old 5th June 2006, 18:48   #111
Joonas
Forum King

The plugin submission system seems borked.

The latest plugin can be found here.
Old 10th June 2006, 10:15   #112
Joonas
Forum King

Some updates, version 1.1d released.
Old 11th June 2006, 17:46   #113
Joonas
Forum King

Played around a lot and hopefully solved some bugs. 1.1f is available on my dev site now.
Old 21st June 2006, 20:07   #114
Joonas
Forum King

Drag 'n Drop 1.2a

New feature:
* Automatic unfold - if you drag 'n drop TO the Playlist it will unfold automatically to let you drop the files. It can them be customized to fold back when you are done.

Available at my site.
Old 21st June 2006, 20:47   #115
retchless

Ohhhh man, that's awesome Great idea!
Old 27th June 2006, 05:15   #116
BoyNG

Send a message via ICQ to BoyNG
Quote:

* Automatic unfold - if you drag 'n drop TO the Playlist it will unfold automatically to let you drop the files. It can them be customized to fold back when you are done.
Sorry for question about it, but how its work?
Im dont see any effect.
BoyNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 06:07   #117
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by BoyNG
Sorry for question about it, but how its work?
Im dont see any effect.
If you drag 'n drop from Explorer and you have the Playlist Editor shaded, it will unfold (pop up to its original size)

Just make sure it's activated in preferences.
Old 13th July 2006, 14:52   #118
KSR_Exdeath

When I try to drag'n'drop lots of files from my playlist, it keeps giving me this error message:

"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from source file or disk."

When I drag'n'drop those files individually, though, or in small batches (3-5) it works.

Edit: It seems to happen most often when I'm trying to drag'n'drop files from two different folders - it usually works fine when I'm just dragging a lot of files from one particular folder (one music album, or such.)
KSR_Exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 15:26   #119
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by KSR_Exdeath
When I try to drag'n'drop lots of files from my playlist, it keeps giving me this error message:

"Cannot copy file: Cannot read from source file or disk."

When I drag'n'drop those files individually, though, or in small batches (3-5) it works.

Edit: It seems to happen most often when I'm trying to drag'n'drop files from two different folders - it usually works fine when I'm just dragging a lot of files from one particular folder (one music album, or such.)
Could you send me the playlist file that you are using when this happens?
Old 13th July 2006, 15:36   #120
KSR_Exdeath

Okay, have e-mailed it to you.
KSR_Exdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development