Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Closed Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 12:24   #81
Heucuva

Wow... the DSP has come a long way since I last worked on it (2001-ish). Great work!

Allow me to apologize, however, for the "crazy" code that was in version 1.x of the DSP. I'm sure it attributed to many sleepless nights of deciphering and re-working (especially getting it moved from groddy old VC6).
Old 6th January 2012, 04:00   #82
mjbrown

On my system, after Winamp with the 2.2.3 DSP plug-in runs for a very long time (like, 5 weeks of shuffle play), Winamp crashes. I don't see the crash happen, but when I check in on the system, the DNAS is still going just fine and has hardly any memory consumption, but Winamp has been replaced with a dialog saying "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help."

I only have 320 MB RAM, and the paging file is 765 MB, so whatever's leaking must be pretty slow.

If there's something I can do to help debug, let me know.
Old 8th January 2012, 00:39   #83
DrO

all i can suggest is to keep an eye on the Task Manager and see what might be increasing i.e. gdi handles, etc - may need to enable more of the columns in task manager to be able to see such things. i know there is a handle leak when using the DSP in v1 mode (fixed internally) but am not aware of anything when running under v2 mode.

then again it could be something else in Winamp causing it - i know some people see crazy memory usage over time with it whereas others (and from my long term tests as well) cannot replicate such behaviour.

-daz
Old 8th January 2012, 04:02   #84
mjbrown

OK, I've enabled extra columns in Task Manager and have taken some "before" screenshots of it, then started up Winamp. I will try to check in on it after it has run for a while and get an "after" shot.
Old 8th January 2012, 20:30   #85
DrO

maybe there is a leak somewhere (though i don't think it's the DSP directly) as i've had it running since a few hours before i replied and my memory usage has increased from ~80Mb to ~105Mb so something is going on but what / where i'm not too sure as it's not increased while i've been looking at it for the last hour.

-daz
Old 24th January 2012, 08:30   #86
ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i've attached a quick mockup of the possible options i can think off for things (which doesn't overly complicate the plug-in as something are just a bit too much for the DSP to be doing i think).

-daz
Hi DrO , something new with that?
Old 24th January 2012, 09:43   #87
DrO

i've not done anything properly with that, it was just a mockup and the most that has been done is to move the title options to their own tab but there is no support for custom file input and i've no eta on when i'll get around to being able to work on it, hence no update.

-daz
Old 20th March 2012, 13:14   #88
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbrown View Post
On my system, after Winamp with the 2.2.3 DSP plug-in runs for a very long time (like, 5 weeks of shuffle play), Winamp crashes.
I only have 320 MB RAM, and the paging file is 765 MB, so whatever's leaking must be pretty slow.
Quote:
maybe there is a leak somewhere (though i don't think it's the DSP directly) as i've had it running since a few hours before i replied and my memory usage has increased from ~80Mb to ~105Mb so something is going on but what / where i'm not too sure as it's not increased while i've been looking at it for the last hour.
follow-up on this, i identified a minor leak with the artwork processing which could be a cause of the issue. i'm re-running my tests to see how the memory leak fix helps things against what i was seeing (though i'm testing against the current Winamp release - i cannot remember what version was being used so it may / may not match up).

-daz
Old 20th March 2012, 13:25   #89
DrO

Quote:
i've not done anything properly with that, it was just a mockup and the most that has been done is to move the title options to their own tab but there is no support for custom file input and i've no eta on when i'll get around to being able to work on it, hence no update.
i don't think the external file title support is now going to make it into the next public build. it's more likely to follow in a later 2.3.x build once any issues cropping up from a 2.3.0 release are resolved.

-daz
Old 20th March 2012, 19:59   #90
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
glad to hear its still in the plans.

also, the artwork leak might solve crashes for those with large libraries and esp lots of embeds! interested to hear more on that...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 20th March 2012, 21:49   #91
DrO

the artwork leak was only related to the dsp's handling of taking what it gets from Winamp and during the conversion it then does to png which is done for the playing item's artwork. so it would only affect playback when artwork is available and needs to be converted.

so it won't have any effect on other areas of Winamp's artwork handling, it just helps with long term streaming when using the Source DSP and any of the media used happens to have artwork present.

and to cover things off, the Source DSP will get a copy of the playing artwork even if it is disabled in the options since it caches it for the scenario where the option is then enabled whilst the Source DSP is running - possibly it shouldn't do it that way but it ensures that all applicable metadata is obtained in one batch so it is all ensured to be relevant.

-daz
Old 20th March 2012, 22:25   #92
MrSinatra
Forum King

got it, thx for the info!

--
Old 21st March 2012, 10:57   #93
DrO

Quote:
i identified a minor leak with the artwork processing which could be a cause of the issue. i'm re-running my tests to see how the memory leak fix helps things against what i was seeing
well it's a lot better than it was before though now i'm not sure if there is other leaks in the DSP or something else in Winamp as it's gone up ~20Mb in 24hrs (with at least 10Mb of that from seeing what was happening when accessing other parts of Winamp at the same time) which is a lot better than ~25Mb in only a few hours.

however the increases have been sparodic when i've just not touched it so i'm not too sure what to think on who / what is the cause of this. though am somewhat concerned the handle count keeps going up - yet if i whiz through a few tracks quickly there is no change so something is going on that i've not really seen before and have noticed that in a separate test install without the Source DSP enabled in any fashion. will have to see what happens with the next 24hrs of testing *joy*

-daz
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:08   #94
DrO

something for the next build but does it make it more obvious what needs to be filled in? as i'm a bit fed up of people asking what needs to be filled when it's generally obvious and should be more so with the shown change.

and yes i know i should probably highlight the frame or background of the control but it requires some custom drawing which i just do not fancy doing for the time being).

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsp_error_highlighting.png
Views:	228
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	49528  
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:12   #95
MrSinatra
Forum King

it helps, but maybe the "status" msg should be in red font too?

honestly, and this may not be welcome feedback, but i think the whole dsp design should be redone; and specifically what i mean is that i think the dialog should be bigger and should lose most of the top level tabs, more info on one screen.

--
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:21   #96
DrO

i tried the status message being red as well and it just didn't look right.

as for the redesign, i know what you mean but it's not really something i've got the time to do and with the changing of the summary page to actually show useful information compared to what it has been like along with the means to start / stop the streams from it (so like the first part of http://forums.winamp.com/attachment....7&d=1319035199 but with buttons on the left-side of the listview), i'm not sure if a complete overhaul is needed or even how best to start on something like that.

-daz
Old 13th July 2012, 06:09   #97
mjbrown

Thanks for checking on the memory leak. Most of my files have no artwork, but some do. I did note the handle count going up along with the memory usage over time. I tried advancing from track to track, and it was exactly as you described in your post of March 21 (i.e. hard to figure out!). Let me know if I can help test further.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:50   #98
DrO

mjbrown: check your pm.

-daz
Old 11th September 2012, 17:37   #99
DrO

v2.3.0 has now been released at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=348318. closing this thread.

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions