Old 27th January 2004, 01:14   #121
jackherer
Major Dude

If you live or are a company in the UK and run a stream, PRS/MCPS want you to pay them royalties. They do not care where your server is located. They also do not care who else you are paying royalties to. I beleive this is also the case in the USA. If the socan in canada are only interested in people with servers in canada the i sugest you run a server in another country as collection agencies in other countries only seem interested incollecting money from the citisens of their country. MCPs/PRS have deals with the agencies in many other countries to pay each others members royalties.

Do not PM me for tech support !
jackherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 01:21   #122
smoothmusic

well, the thing is - we are being told by the Canadian license people (as S_lyon87 mentioned a few posts ago) that we need to pay them or else (seeing as our stream is broadcast from inside of Canada). However, the management is in the US and the UK. We pay royalties through swcast. So, naturally we are confused as to what to do. We don't want to have legal action taken against us, but would also like to pay as little in royalties in possible (as this is something we probably all agree on seeing as we are helping and not harming record companies, artists, writers, and the like). So basically what I am asking is if anyone has any specific legal knoweldge as to how this works. Do we pay royalties based on where the stream originates from, where the management is located, or something else?

Thanks very much.
smoothmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 01:27   #123
smoothmusic

sorry jackherer, I posted b4 I read your reply. That helps a bit, but I'm still unsure as to how to deal with this. Does anyone else have any info that might help with this?
smoothmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 01:34   #124
jackherer
Major Dude

I am not a lawyer realy i only know what i have read on various MCPS/PRS etc websites. You best bet would be to get in touch with all the colection agencies (MCPS/PRS, socan, BMI/ASCAP etc) and ask them all what the best way forward is. As they all have deals with each other i doubt they would want you to pay more than one of them.

Do not PM me for tech support !
jackherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 07:28   #125
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

There is no substitute for a good lawyer.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 15:17   #126
DJ Killer
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to DJ Killer Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Killer
just notify thm your already paying royalties, show them proof and ur dun.

I Make. Perform. Mix. Play. Music.
DJ Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 20:43   #127
erdubya

BMI contacting webcasters

Quote:
Thats what I do to the bastards. Also, internet copyright states that as long as you remove the copyrighted material upon request, they cant do jack. But make them send you the names of the artists "that are still in your playlist".

Oh sorry... we must have missed that one.... I will remove it now.

Thats all you gotta do. Go ahead and play their game. Its easy to win and it dont cost you anything.
That sounds great. But is that really the way BMI handles these issues, or do they just immediately hit you with a lawsuit?

E Dub
www.soulsticeradio.net

Last edited by erdubya; 22nd July 2004 at 21:42.
erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 21:55   #128
Death Reaper
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Death Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Death Reaper
Lawsuits cost them money too, they perfer to try and get the offenders to co-operate.

Regards,

Death Reaper
Death Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 08:19   #129
Dimentox

As a Artist myself.. I make money off the Shows not the radio or cd's I give away the music for free.. Thats how it should be.
Dimentox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 10:27   #130
nght_watch

To Go back onto a post WAY earlier

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Killer

3. 80% of the online broadcasters here do this as a hobby, not for their own personal gain. If we don't gain, nor do they.

GREAT ... just let the FCC Get the wild and crazy idea now to regulate this like HAM radio and require a site license to broadcast... also a hobby

Also.. there was some talk on what exactly was payable for royalties... you really dont want to know.. but here is a small list:

*The CD which the music comes to the station on
*The copy of the CD with the one song on it for queue to play in your playlist
*The backup copy of the CD which the song came to the station on
*The backup media which the queue list is recorded onto...

Basically, unless you play directly from the CD onto your broadcast, you pay for EACH copy of the song, no matter why you have it...

So, thinking that having the CD and making a broadcastable media file and only having to pay roayalties on the one will get you into trouble, given that you are paying roalyies in the first place.

Now.. for talk stations.. you got a fee as well... yep, your bumper music is copywritten as well and needs to be paid out for royalties

But this is all in retrospect.. so disregard my rantings if they are a nuesance and seem to break the flow of this conversation
nght_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions