Old 29th May 2004, 19:10   #41
ProFM

Send a message via ICQ to ProFM
I can understand that your not happy when you run a small station with limited slots when people take out 2 slots or more.
Luckily i don't have bandwith problems so for me it's not a big issue right now.However,when there comes a time in the future when all slots (i hope) are filled,i sure will be a little more selective.

Pro FM Web Danceradio 80's - 90's Danceclassics & Todays Dancehits.
Website
High Bitrate
AAC+
ProFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2004, 19:16   #42
HiddenPlanet

Send a message via Yahoo to HiddenPlanet
Stream Ripperz

I had a guy ripping me the other night. I actually don't mind it, because I still have a ton of vacant slots, and if they wanna rip some of the best unsigned bands in the world, I along with the bands encourage it. I did notice something though. They appear to take up 2 slots, 1 unique. So, if you are concerned about ripping, and can't see a streamripper present on the DNAS log, just look to see if the number of unique listeners is the same as the actual total listeners. That's probably an indication of a streamripper......or someone that likes to load 2 versions of the same stream just to hear it echo....LOL.

128k 24k
HiddenPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2004, 19:28   #43
ProFM

Send a message via ICQ to ProFM
Last night i had somebody taking 4 slots at the same time.......what are those guys doing??? ripping that show 4 times??? weird...

Pro FM Web Danceradio 80's - 90's Danceclassics & Todays Dancehits.
Website
High Bitrate
AAC+
ProFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:13   #44
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I've noticed this alot but I think it's errant connections not stream rippers. I say this because I notice it from ISP's running proxy servers alot and also from major corporations that I know wouldn't have workers stream ripping on a daily basis.

Usually I just kick any of the extra connections and they don't usually reconnect. A ripper usually reconnect and also in some cases your log files will show the ripper program.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:33   #45
urbansoulnation

Send a message via AIM to urbansoulnation
Hey they are quite a few people who have a LAN at home. And at work...they will tell their co workers about the station and they log on. Hence the multiple connections. So be careful with kicking people. You may be kicking potential fans.
urbansoulnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:35   #46
John_Shumate

Send a message via AIM to John_Shumate
I really don't see that much of a problem as its just like me taping a TV show of something of that sort.

If ya ask me, the RIAA Should focus on the people that stream rip streams rather than the broadcasters. Maybe, we wouldn't be troubled by royalities.

Sincerely,

John Shumate - Owner of High Tech Entertainment
John_Shumate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 21:37   #47
MegaRock
Forum King

Usually there is little harm in it. Since the connect either through the Shoutcast generated playlist or the playlist on my site if they get bumped they just connect immediately to another server and rarely even hear a blip. if it's an unused connection it goes away.

I do see what you're saying and hopefully it don't mess up too many people but it's either that or I have to institute a max 3 hour connection to keep dead connections from hogging up resources and this solution seems easier to deal with.

Quote:
I really don't see that much of a problem as its just like me taping a TV show of something of that sort.
Indeed and since I crossfade my tracks they can't rip a single song and if they did it's only at 56k so the quality is only as good as FM.

Tune In Now!
Old 8th June 2004, 03:22   #48
John_Shumate

Well..I use to do that but, now I'm upgrading to 128k. So, I'll just do more crossfading so the streamripper can't tell the difference beteween songs.

SAM2 Was worth the $199

Sincerely,

Old 8th June 2004, 09:22   #49
MegaRock
Forum King

Indeed.

I think I'd go to 128 faster if it seemed the listeners wanted it. I tried it a few times and the listener numbers actually dropped so for the time being I'm good with what I run (not to mention it's cheaper).

All in time I guess. For now it was enough to pay to cover my ass on all the royalties. Now that I'm legit they can lick my hairy ones and I cam move on to better things.

And yes, SAM2 kicks the shinizzle.

Tune In Now!
Old 8th June 2004, 09:45   #50
John_Shumate

and how much do you pay in rolalties exactly?

Sincerely,

Old 8th June 2004, 15:00   #51
praktikal

I've used a stream ripper to record streams AND burned them to CD.

I did so because the office frowned upon streaming all day, so I listened to the CD's at work.

However, I looked around and read up on the rippers and although the one I used had the option, I don't make the ripper appear as a winamp listener, so it probably does get logged as a ripper. However, there is also an option that specifically mentions that if toggled off, it will use one slot to rip AND another to actually stream the music to winamp. I made sure to cause as little bandwidth leeching possible by having this toggled on so I use up only 1 slot.

Although I don't need to do this anymore because my current employer doesn't mind if I listen to streams during work, I never had a problem in doing this as I didn't feel I was ripping any artists off nor was I profiting from it nor was I keeping anyone else from enjoying the stream.

Recently the streams are crap and keep disconnecting, timing out and rebuffering so I feel the impulse to go back to old habits, but I'll stick to listening to my CD's for now.

Just my 0.02$ ... even if I am a Shoutcast forum noob.
praktikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 17:41   #52
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Shumate
and how much do you pay in rolalties exactly?
A base of $250.00 to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC and $2,000.00 to SoundExchange plus a percentage of profits if they exceed a certian level which of course varies from quarter to quarter.

Tune In Now!
Old 18th April 2005, 03:28   #53
embed68k

stream ripping

Why use a stream ripping program that sends out an ID. If you just record your WAVE master device through a third party program nobody will know that you are "ripping" the stream.
embed68k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 11:46   #54
Germ
rules all things

Wow, thanks for dragging up this old thread to give us stream ripping advice.
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 12:02   #55
THEMIXTURE

I am not shure about anyone else but I know I hate people that stream rip. Look people that are real broadcasters do not need people steal from there hard work. When it comes to my station I think I have it down pretty good on looking out for stream rippers. If you want music that bad why not just go buy it it would be better then stealing.
THEMIXTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 12:27   #56
soulful1

Amen!
soulful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2005, 19:11   #57
overXposure

I cannot believe that as old as this thread is that NOBODY argued the true depth of who gets ripped off by stream rippers. The station programmers argue about their work (which is in and of itself intellectual property), the stream rippers argue their integrity and "rights". Fact of the matter is it is all about the artist. Without the artist, we station programmers would have no stations to run and the streamripping douchebags would have no impetus to record our stations or to try and circumvent our efforts to thwart them.

I love music with an obsession and I sympethize with the artist who does not get paid for their work. I cannot believe how quickly some of the best albums go out of print these days. The rigors of funding, marketing, promoting and releasing an album AND to keep a frigging day job AND you streamripping jerks sleep well at night calling yourselves "fans" of these artists, like you're doing the artist some kind of favor by taking interest? You think the people who make the music you steal are all rich? Most are not - EVEN those wankers who get all decked out in their videos with luxury cars and jewelry (yeah, you KNOW what I'm sayin'). How would YOU like working your ass off all the time only to be told "yah, you did great work, you've made our lives a whole lot better and we love you dearly but tough shit, you're not getting paid."

I had a fan of my own station alert me in November 2004 to some punk who had ripped a bunch of material over an extended period of time and was posting the resulting mp3's as a series of compilations on Usenet to his own credit, of course. (I run highly distinguishable stream titles, BTW) By the time I caught him, he was on volume 13 of his series. Is that right? Not only am I being ripped off, but the artists were all being ripped off much bigger.

And to that guy earlier in the thread who was developing a streamripping tool - I see that you only give a free 14-day trial, how would you like it if someone cracked it and started passing it around? Wouldn't you feel ripped off - kind of like an artist whose music is being given away by so-called "fans" at an exponential reproduction rate? BTW: I tried out your tool for a few minutes on my station and got a good laugh.

So to you streamrippers - you like them golden eggs? Feed the geese! Keep the stations running by supporting them and BUY THE ARTISTS' WORK!
overXposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 03:48   #58
iasanders

In the beginning you paid a scribner to scribe a book for you, each book may take 6 months to scribe and the common people couldnt afford to learn to read or write.

Once the printing press was invented the price for a book dropped to 1/20th its previous price, newspapers were born and the common people learned to read and become educated. Scribners lost there jobs or had to learn a new technology.

How much did television change the newspaper business, how has VCRs, DVDs, changed how we watch Television?

Is the internet delivery of Music, Television, or Film all that different from the changes brought about by the printing press, radio, broadcast telivision?

The business model will adapt to the technology, you dont see very many scribners (copy machines), but writers (the artist) are still in business. Content is King!

Cheers,
iasanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 03:55   #59
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by Germ
Wow, thanks for dragging up this old thread...
...again
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 05:18   #60
overXposure

WTF does this have to do with streamripping? Why don't you try reading from the *beginning* of a thread before responding to one if you're such a booksmart noob!

Quote:
Originally posted by iasanders
In the beginning you paid a scribner to scribe a book for you, each book may take 6 months to scribe and the common people couldnt afford to learn to read or write.

Once the printing press was invented the price for a book dropped to 1/20th its previous price, newspapers were born and the common people learned to read and become educated. Scribners lost there jobs or had to learn a new technology.

How much did television change the newspaper business, how has VCRs, DVDs, changed how we watch Television?

Is the internet delivery of Music, Television, or Film all that different from the changes brought about by the printing press, radio, broadcast telivision?

The business model will adapt to the technology, you dont see very many scribners (copy machines), but writers (the artist) are still in business. Content is King!

Cheers,
Old 9th November 2005, 05:51   #61
DJ Matt

The latest SAM3 release includes a PAL script that changes your title to a list of banner messages during tracks to thwart stream rippers. I don't care if they rip to listen offline, I want the people who are trying to steal songs by an automated streamripper to stop...

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
http://www.star104.net
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 00:42   #62
soulful1

Hello DJmatt, I have Sams 3.1.8 Where might I find that script? Is this version too old?
Old 10th November 2005, 00:53   #63
overXposure

Quote:
Originally posted by soulful1
I have Sams 3.1.8 Where might I find that script? Is this version too old?
Actually SAM3 (or any subrelease) does not include any scripts at all. You may find the purported script by searching the vendor's forums. There you might also find any necessary support for it if you decide to implement it. SAM3's proprietery language is VERY klugy and its logical constructs are diminished.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:01   #64
soulful1

Thanks overXposure.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:15   #65
DJ Matt

You'll find several useful scripts in the PAL subdirectory inside the SAM3 folder.

Overxposure is full of shit too by the way.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Oldies104 Celebrating 14 years on the air! (Does anyone remember OldiesRadioNET.com?)
Old 10th November 2005, 01:27   #66
overXposure

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Matt
You'll find several useful scripts in the PAL subdirectory inside the SAM3 folder.

Overxposure is full of shit too by the way.
You bet, I'm totally full of shit. SAM3 comes complete with every Festerbot ever written. Just ask the cowboys on the SAM3 forums...or just ask DJ Matt for some helpful and polite guidance. We're all on these forums just to be asses anyhow, right Matt? But in case your copy of SAM3 does NOT come with those Festerbots you find in the forums, just look for the script called EXAMPLE.PAL. You'll know which one because it is the ONLY one in the PAL folder.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:40   #67
DJ Matt

Here's what the SAM3 download will install:

Example.PAL
KickSource.PAL
LinerOverlay.PAL
RemoteShow.PAL
SQL.PAL
TitleStreamBanners.PAL

Now go piss off Overxposure, it's obvious you're clueless and not using SAM.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th November 2005, 01:51   #68
soulful1

Thanks DJMatt. Didn't mean to start a feud.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:55   #69
overXposure

Quote:

Now go piss off Overxposure, it's obvious you're clueless and not using SAM. [/B]
Even though I took in two Web Radio Awards this year with MY station which is NOT REALLY driven by SAM3, I just want you all to think that it IS because it makes us all so frigging warm and fuzzy.

DJ Matt is the expert. Just listen to what he says. Even if he's a troll.

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 02:28.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:57   #70
overXposure

Quote:
Originally posted by soulful1
Thanks DJMatt. Didn't mean to start a feud.
No, Matt started the feud. Must be his Irritable Male Syndrome getting the best of him and making a troll out of him. Better cut out the Mountain Dew, Matt kiddo.

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 02:27.
Old 10th November 2005, 01:57   #71
DJ Matt

Yeah lovely award, I supposed they give you that for using MP3Pro, you're a moron

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th November 2005, 01:58   #72
DJ Matt

Total Posts: 8 (0.01 posts per day)

Wow registered for 2 years and saying almost nothing, aren't you just useless.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th November 2005, 02:31   #73
overXposure

Quote:
Total Posts: 8 (0.01 posts per day)

Wow registered for 2 years and saying almost nothing, aren't you just useless.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." - Plato

Guess this explains the unwarranted mudslinging from DJ Matt. It must take ALL your time being a troll. If I was truly useful myself, maybe I would be on these forums doing the same instead of running an award-winning radio station.
Old 10th November 2005, 02:36   #74
overXposure

Quote:
Yeah lovely award, I supposed they give you that for using MP3Pro, you're a moron
Yea, all of the awardees were mp3PRO streaming morons like me. Right. But I'm an even bigger moron than any of them, I guess, for cutting my bandwidth costs and at the same time giving my listeners a MAXIMUM bitrate stream equivalent to 224-256kbps in classic MP3. In fact, four Bang & Olufsen dealers are so impressed with my moronic mp3PRO production that they play it in their showrooms and demonstrate their equipment with it. And you know Matt, the morons that buy B&O equipment pay more than you earn in a year for these things. But that ain't just the half of my stupidity.

And BTW: I'll be even dumber when the new AAC+ plugin comes out for SAM3 and I will actually pretend to install it on my imaginary deployment of SAM3.
Old 10th November 2005, 02:41   #75
overXposure

Okay, sorry folks for feeding the troll. But one thing case-in-point that helps in deterring streamrippers is streaming at a lower bitrate. I guarantee that I would require more listener slots like some of the larger stations streaming at 128kbps not because my station is mp3PRO but more to do with the minimum bitrate of choice of the streamripping community - obviously, they will hog your listener slots! I cannot tell you how many would-be streamrippers have complained about the 96kbps bitrate - or even of the lower bitrate streams that I once offered.

If you can, go with something like a 48 or 56kbps AAC+ stream, now that modern versions of Winamp and iTunes support it. Believe it or not, XM Radio uses this codec and it's no wonder why (and guess what, it came from the same folks who developed mp3PRO yet is even MORE efficient). Most streamrippers will simply pass you by and save you the effort of having to thwart their efforts anyhow!

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 03:21.
Old 10th November 2005, 02:43   #76
DJ Matt

Award winning, PFFTT. you only have 470 slots...

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th November 2005, 02:44   #77
overXposure

Quote:
Award winning, PFFTT. you only have 470 slots...
Ain't life grand!

Be my guest to occupy one of those listener slots sometime. Maybe you will chill the f**k out if you do! Or maybe male hormone therapy is what you need.... You sure seem to have a bad case if IMS!

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 02:59.
Old 10th November 2005, 03:09   #78
DJ Matt

This arguement has no point and isn't going anywhere positive, I have better things to do... A mod has been PMed to lock this topic.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Old 10th November 2005, 03:16   #79
overXposure

Quote:
This arguement has no point and isn't going anywhere positive, I have better things to do... A mod has been PMed to lock this topic.
Yeah, I know, you shouldn't have started an argument in the first place, what with all your rudeness, purility and unwarranted mudslinging. But then you couldn't resist because you have so much to say. Honestly, though, I do not really think that you with your streams should be so concerned with streamripping, that BEING the topic of this thread anyway.
Old 10th November 2005, 03:23   #80
DJ Matt

Listen here asshole, I don't appreciate people like you spouting off about software you don't know shit about.

Matt...
Star104 Internet Radio
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions