Old 10th November 2005, 03:26   #81
soulful1

Enough already! I appreciate your help, but I mean to start all of this. These forums were friendly at one time.
soulful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 03:28   #82
overXposure

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Matt
Listen here asshole, I don't appreciate people like you spouting off about software you don't know shit about.
Yeah, well you certainly have MORE to prove than the fact that you have NO life (according to your signature)! Like I - or anyone else - cares!~

Just for the sake of trivia - does PAL support switch statements? How about "else if"? Know what a "for loop" is cochese - does PAL have that? Don't bother with the SAM3 technical reference - it's PAL documentation is only marginally helpful.

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 04:02.
overXposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 04:08   #83
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Originally posted by overXposure
just look for the script called EXAMPLE.PAL. You'll know which one because it is the ONLY one in the PAL folder.
Granted there aren't many included but Example.PAL is NOT the only scripts included in the install of SAM. These are also now included on a standard fresh install/upgrade:

kick source.pal
remote show.pal
title stream banners.pal
liner overlay.pal

The stream ripper script is however NOT a PAL script but a PHP script and can be downloaded from WebcasterU.Com and requires that you have PHP installed and running on your webserver and only works with one stream server ip/port at a time.

Sadly you'll never get useful information like this from the know-it-alls (they know who they are).

As far as streamrippers are concerned I ban them from all the HQ streams. If you want to rip my 24k stream feel free to.

Ok, back to the arguing.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 04:28   #84
overXposure

Thank you, MegaRock.

There is one big problem with banning every streamripper though - after your ban list gets to be about nine pages long, SHOUTCast will get the hiccups really badly and not hold a steady stream anymore. When that happens, the only remedy is to flush your ban list and what good is that?

The WebcasterU.com script is fantastic and I built a powerful application from its simple foundations. The main ingredient is not actually *banning* the streamrippers but *bouncing* them instead. You have your noticeable and typical streamrippers who use the usual clients to get on. That's the tip of the iceburg. However, many of these guys will come from European locales where dial-up is faster than ISDN and they will just come back the next day on a different IP address. Don't even bother trying to ban these guys, simply BOUNCE them every 30 seconds or so. If you examine the POST parameters of the SHOUTCast administrator and observe what the KICK command requires, you can begin to expand the WebcasterU.com script to do more than simply ban your usual suspects and get down to the fighting back the real phuckers. It is actually the *unusual* suspect that a webcaster concerned with streamripping needs to develop against. Since SHOUTCast has a bug with ban lists getting to be too long, just ban the guys who knowingly manipulate their user-agent info. Another useful tool in this combat is a PHP script Tom Pepper wrote that allows you to watch listener activity in real-time. Optimize it (sorry Tom!) and color-code user-agent info - even send mailers to yourself for previously unknown "agents" (while you're sleeping of course!) and you have the best grip on this possible.

I don't claim to "know it all" but I do have a lot of streamripping forums complaining about my methods and pissed off because I have dramatically narrowed their odds of being successful.
Old 10th November 2005, 10:46   #85
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

wonderous. however, scripts filtering out user connects can be heavily taxing on large stations with lots of users. id agree that for small stations, apache could probably handle the load, but i wouldnt want to be proxying people off apache when i have an application designed for this anyway.

If you know networking (which you should do to run the shoutcast server apropriately imho), and you know php or asp, many different things are possible. nobody disputes that, and we've seen many streams come up with some rather creative ways to handle things. tom's old php scripts were just the tip of the iceburg, as anyone who has hacked "registered users" streams together will tell you. maybe in the future, when i have lots of time free i'll publish a bunch of scripts that people can use, but im not really in the mood for making this game easy.

also, your mention of dialup being faster than isdn amuses me.

please keep the flaming out of the thread, only i will win.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 14:39   #86
overXposure

Ah, yes, there is a type of dial-up in Europe that is more than twice as fast as what is available in the US and is faster than ISDN (Deutsch Telekom is one such provider). In fact, I have seen these guys many times a day effectively doubling up on my 96kbps stream (largely in effort to rip the stream) for more than a year.

Would love to see your scripts - or even your finer methods - someday.

Last edited by overXposure; 10th November 2005 at 15:09.
Old 10th November 2005, 15:53   #87
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

then it isnt dialup. prehaps adsl delivered in a dialup-like fashion (pppoe/dynamic ip addressing).

Old 25th November 2005, 03:50   #88
SpookyMommy

My brain is best ripper.

If I store a melody, words, aura of a song in MY brain is it a ripping?

Probably, yes.

And what would be to prevent it?

Modification of genome of human being in order to prevent to remember music?

What the brave new world would be!

!!! Imagine, to listen a song many times as if you listen it first time!!!!
===================================================
So let me just cite, "The world is going to hell anyway......"
SpookyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2005, 09:19   #89
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

YOU SO FUNNY

Old 29th October 2006, 10:23   #90
jhuxter

Once upon a time you could record music from the radio to a thing called a "casette" - you could then listen to the "casette" on a thing called a "casette player" - not just the one it was recorded to - any one, belonging to anyone. People could make copies of the music to play in their car, or in their portable casette players, or at their friends' houses.

Now, we have a digital revolution in which when you buy the music, the distributor controls who can play the music and what kind of software they can play it on. If you subscribe to the more greedy services, you lose the right to play the music you've paid for if you don't keep up your subscription. And people here have the gall to say that recording a stream is immoral? I could tell you what is immoral, but it would talk too long.

Listen, if you don't want people to record what you are broadcasting, I suggest you stop broadcasting - see how that affects sales. And if running your station is too expensive, maybe it's you who's the sucker. Ever think of that?
jhuxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 15:44   #91
soulful1

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I'm not even going to waste my time explaining the difference between a casette recording and a digital recording. Evetually you will figure it out.
soulful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 17:50   #92
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by jhuxter
...And people here have the gall to say that recording a stream is immoral?
No, you twat. It's illegal in the UK and the USA. Webcasters under the DMCA are obligated to take whatever measures are technically possible to stop nimrods like you from recording. It's posts like yours that help me stay motivated to make my station almost impossible to slice automatically. Thanks
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 19:20   #93
jhuxter

"Twat" is it? Nice to see the art of civil discourse hasn't been lost. Be that as it may, this whole copy-protection racket is driven by "twats" who try to make money being middlemen - talentless opportunists who want to make money off the artists' efforts and creativity.

Streaming has made commision salesmen out of the lot of you. I'd rather give the artist themselves 80p for the right to download their music, provided they dont then try to tell me how or when or where I can play it. Like I said - if you are paying a record label for the right to promote their music, I think you've been had, big time.

Record labels and wannabe distributers - get twatted.
Long-live mySpace.
Old 30th October 2006, 02:10   #94
dotme

Quote:
"Twat" is it? Nice to see the art of civil discourse hasn't been lost.
Quote:
"And if running your station is too expensive, maybe it's you who's the sucker. Ever think of that?
Hey - call me a "sucker" and I'll call you a twat. Seems fair to me.

I pay royalties because I have to. It's the law. Doesn't mean I love throwing money over to the RIAA every month. I know very little of it reaches the artist. But the same could be said about tax dollars and welfare recipients. Are you a tax dodger, or do you fork over the money?

Point is, I love music, and the ability to share it with others. But since the artists do the work, I'd prefer my listeners to go download music they like from iTunes, not "lift" it from my stream. At least the artists get *something* that way.
Old 30th October 2006, 02:20   #95
jhuxter

I promote good music via mySpace - it costs me nothing and I don't waste time trying to control people's lives. Fu*k the RIAA beaurocracy. But to each their own...
Old 30th October 2006, 02:24   #96
dotme

Fair enough. Depends on what you're in it for. What I do is just a hobby. Totally for fun, not profit. On a good month, I break even. But I'm having a blast, and most hobbies cost money. At least we both agree that music is king, the RIAA isn't, and we'll leave it at that.
Old 30th October 2006, 02:26   #97
jhuxter

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
Fair enough. Depends on what you're in it for. What I do is just a hobby. Totally for fun, not profit. On a good month, I break even. But I'm having a blast, and most hobbies cost money. At least we both agree that music is king, the RIAA isn't, and we'll leave it at that.
LOL! We all like a happy ending!
Peace...
Old 30th October 2006, 11:20   #98
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Oh sorry, i forgot we all supported the RIAA. I think you'll find that pretty much all of us here hate them, but what can you do?

Old 3rd November 2006, 21:55   #99
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
Oh sorry, i forgot we all supported the RIAA. I think you'll find that pretty much all of us here hate them, but what can you do?
Option 1: cry your self to sleep every night

Option 2: Drink yourself to sleep every night

Option 3: Plot evil ways to torture the RIAA into doing only your will. However, you must NEVER actually carry these plans out. An attack on an orginization with its head as far up the government's ass as the RIAA's is is only going to end badly for you. So, be good and just amuse yourself with your thoughts.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 12:02   #100
laptophfx

These winamps 5.0, are they streamrippers? It looks like this
<03/25/07@08:59:00> [dest: 89.52.93.238] starting stream (UID: 41)[L: 1]{A: WinampMPEG/5.0}(P: 0)
laptophfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 13:21   #101
sputnik radio
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Option 1: cry your self to sleep every night

Option 2: Drink yourself to sleep every night

Option 3: Plot evil ways to torture the RIAA into doing only your will. However, you must NEVER actually carry these plans out. An attack on an orginization with its head as far up the government's ass as the RIAA's is is only going to end badly for you. So, be good and just amuse yourself with your thoughts.
I like to send them emails telling them how much "potential" money they are losing from people ripping music from digital radio and satellite TV
sputnik radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 20:14   #102
Thebig429

Quote:
Originally posted by laptophfx
These winamps 5.0, are they streamrippers? It looks like this
<03/25/07@08:59:00> [dest: 89.52.93.238] starting stream (UID: 41)[L: 1]{A: WinampMPEG/5.0}(P: 0)
See this thread http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....stream+rippers

Cadillac Radio
Classic rock from the 60s to the 90s

listen here

Talk Webcasting .com - The Webcaster's Second Home
Thebig429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 21:19   #103
laptophfx

Thank You Thebig429
laptophfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions