Old 13th June 2007, 07:45   #201
idobi

Send a message via AIM to idobi
If internet radio royalties were applied to terrestrial stations, KROQ would be required to pay $1.4 billion in royalties in 2010.

Editorial I posted on monday: http://www.idobi.com/news.wml?id=25408

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 19:11   #202
Greg_E
Major Dude

Which would shut down all of the radio stations. That was the exact arguement that was used the last time the RIAA tried to force the radio stations to pay.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 20:02   #203
chance4phun

Quote:
Originally posted by SorceryKid
From what I understand, these "blanket" license agreements being issued by SoundExchange merely cover the creative works of SoundExchange members.
my understanding is this....if you are non-RIAA band...a compulsory copyright kicks in when someone webcasts your music....the webcaster must pay the royalty to Soundexchange....who holds the payment until the band contacts Soundexchange.....all interest on that payments goes back to the RIAA during that time....
chance4phun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 23:51   #204
Thebig429

A Day of Internet Radio Silence

A day of silence has been set for June 26th 2007. All internet radio stations are asked to participate, not just those in the USA. It is believed throughout the internet broadcast community that what happens in the USA will inadvertantly affect other countries as they will likely follow suit.
http://webcastersunite.net/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

Cadillac Radio
Classic rock from the 60s to the 90s

listen here

Talk Webcasting .com - The Webcaster's Second Home
Thebig429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 07:02   #205
mike allen100

we are in the UK we will be broadcasting PSAs from webcastersunite and silance for 2 mins in between if the US gets these rates we will follow as sure as eggs is eggs.
mike allen100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 12:16   #206
Dodder

Im in the UK also and are now broadcasting PSAs in support of our fellow US webcasters, these new rates must be crushed or as mike allen100 rightly says we in the UK will be next.
Dodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 17:28   #207
Greg_E
Major Dude

He He.... It's summer and no one is looking after the station... I think I may start on Monday and let it run until I decide to change it. Heck, I may even start it tomorrow and let it run all weekend too.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 21st June 2007, 17:34   #208
Greg_E
Major Dude

Would it be possible to put information about why we are doing this on the front page of webcastersunite.net and savenetradio.org ? That way an easy to announce URL can be used to direct the listener to the important information.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 21st June 2007, 18:14   #209
SorceryKid

Good question. I will bring this up with the folks over at SNR. I'm pretty sure they'll be changing the messaging on the front page as the day approaches.

Executive Director, SWCI
www.smallwebcaster.org // Redefining Music Royalties for Small Webcasters

Legal Disclaimer: The information hereinbefore is not intended to constitute legal advice or consultation nor does it form a legally binding contract.
SorceryKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 18:53   #210
Greg_E
Major Dude

Here is what I sent to one of our local TV stations, they are the number one station in our market:

Quote:
I’m not sure if you have any interest in this, but thought I would give you what information that I have. This year the Copyright Board has approved a substantial increase in the cost of licensing music to play on internet radio stations. This affects commercial, non-commercial/non-profit, PBS, and NPR stations. It will pretty much drive all of the “hobby” class non-commercial/non-profit internet radio stations to either run illegally, or stop providing their “service”. It could also impact a few start up companies that host internet streams that also pay the licensing fees for their clients, two of these hosts (among others) are Loudcity.com and Live365.com which make life much easier for the little “hobby” class stations to stay legal.

The largest amount of information can probably be found at the following links:

http://www.savenetradio.org/

http://webcastersunite.net/

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/

http://www.smallwebcaster.org/

Heated discussions can be found on some of the internet radio forums like the ones hosted by Winamp at

http://forums.winamp.com/index.php?s in the Shoutcast Discussions and possibly the Breaking News and General Discussions forums.

Thank you for any coverage you can provide, and I would also ask that you forward this idea to ABC in the hopes that we can get some larger national coverage.

Greg.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 21st June 2007, 19:31   #211
Greg_E
Major Dude

I sent the same to Broadcast Engineering, who forwarded it to their radio magazine. I just received a reply from Chriss Scherer of http://radiomagonline.com/ saying that they have this on the front page now, and he will be watching on the 26th to see what happens.

I really wish this had been scheduled earlier this year, like before all the students went on Summer break... Oh well to late to worry about that.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 21st June 2007, 23:59   #212
SorceryKid

Okay the press release is up on the SaveNetRadio homepage now.

Also Small Webcaster Community Initiative will be designing our own special landing page for the Day of Silence. We'll also be doing something creative with our MySpace profile. Stay tuned!

--Randall
Old 22nd June 2007, 01:28   #213
Greg_E
Major Dude

It would be a good idea if everyone can put the word silence in there stream name for the day. That way reporters can search the YP (or other listing service) for that single word and get hits for all participating streams.

I'm probably going to use the stream URL portion of the data to link to savenetradio.org too, that might make it easy for people to find their way,` in addition to the song title/artist data pointing to the same. There are ways to make the player client open a web page too, so for some of you that know how to do this it might be neat to have a page open up to savenetradio and or webcastersunite.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 22nd June 2007, 18:50   #214
wildun

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
Would it be possible to put information about why we are doing this on the front page of webcastersunite.net and savenetradio.org ? That way an easy to announce URL can be used to direct the listener to the important information.
Done on WecastersUnite
It was already there via an article posted and is now on top of the page.
wildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:12   #215
Greg_E
Major Dude

I sent a few story requests to CNN and ABC news, I was going to send one to Fox news, but couldn't find a link. Nothing back from my local station, but I figured they wouldn't do anything about this even though they are owned be Cheap Channels, and last time I saw anything CC was opposed to these new rates.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 23rd June 2007, 21:24   #216
wildun

Just FYI .. I added 6 new PSAs in the webcastersunite.net downloads for The Day of Silence done by Jeffrey Hutchens. All are welcome to use them. There is also downloads with Dave Solomons Day of Silence PSAs.
wildun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 18:58   #217
Greg_E
Major Dude

Starting my stream when I leave work for the night, somewhere between 5:00 and 8:00 pm Eastern dayligh time (shooting for 0:00 GMT time) until sometime on Wednesday. Mostly because I am too lazy to work up a real set of logs to handle this event.

Stream name will be:

normal station name - Internet Radio Day of Silence with metadata of Artist=webcastersunite.net Title=www.savenetradio.org and the hompage URL set to the savenetradio site

My content is extremly basic, and all of it is non-riaa one time license fee paid! (one sound effect because the one I recorded didn't come out how I would have liked). And our standard Top Of Hour ID. (again a one time license for the little bit of production music).

edit nice to see that I'm not the only one getting started today. Looks like one or two stations already going.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 26th June 2007, 14:57   #218
beeerlover

There is a simple solution for the US webcasters; do not stream copyrighted music. OK, so now you ask, "What's left after removing the copyrighted?". Bootlegs! Either record them yourself or find them on the internet to download.

Stream illegitimate concert recordings & there will be no violation of copyright or broadcasting laws.

And to be safe... operate at ZERO revenue intake-refuse all money. Been up & running like this for years; never spent or recieved a penny either.
beeerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 15:05   #219
Greg_E
Major Dude

Bottlegs and other non authorized music can get you into a lot of trouble. Permitted live recording are not considered bootlegs, and a lot of bands allow this to happen and even encourage people to do those recordings.

What left after you no longer play RIAA member bands, good number of newer artists? You just need to find them. What's left if you want to play RIAA member artists? You need to get a contract with their record label under whatever terms you can get. Those terms may be free use, restricted (but no money) use, or a monetary based contract, or no contract at all.

Please always do your best to pay ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC because this money goes directly back to the people that write and perform the music.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 27th June 2007, 05:30   #220
wj38

I think it is really bad that webcasting rates are gonna go up. because i was listening to shoutcast during their day of silence... and that was kinda a scary feeling to me. and what makes it really bad is the part of oklahoma i live in there are no jazz stations here in town that i can get on the radio. shoutcast is the only way i can get it..

i tried to call my senator but i couldn't get threw the lines where busy but i e-mailed them and here is what his office sent me as a response.... after reading what he said doesn't sound like he is gonna support it to me.

Dear WJ38,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns regarding the decision by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) regarding the determination of rates and terms for webcasting. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to
respond.

On March 2, 2007 the CRB, a federal agency created by the United States

Congress, was tasked with updating royalty compensation rates for music performers which expired at the end of 2005. These updated and subsequently increased royalty fees are to be paid by Internet Radio stations for streaming
music during the years 2006-2010. The CRB's three-judge panel, created to set digital music royalty rates, decided to increase the rates retroactive to 2006 for companies that stream music over the Internet. The increase will apply
to small and large broadcasters alike, as well as Internet simulcasts of traditional over-the-air radio stations.

Currently, Internet broadcasters must pay royalties for the use of a song to music publishing organizations like the American Society of Composers,Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) and Broadcast Media, Inc. (BMI) for the public
performance rights to the song itself. Additionally, they must also pay royalties that compensate the performers of the music. However, traditional over-the-air
broadcasters are only required to pay for the performance rights to a song. They are not required to pay royalties to performers. The CRB's decision to raise the music performer compensation royalties, which only Internet
broadcasters must pay, is creating what some perceive as an unfair imbalance in an environment where the ultimate goal should be an ability for Americans to have fair
access to music, while allowing those with legitimate intellectual propertyrights just compensation.

As a result of this decision, parity in radio rates has come in to focus and been addressed in Congressional hearings regarding the direction of the future of
radio. As a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee, I too am a proponent of innovation and share your belief that we should accelerate

technological advancement in a fair and balanced manner. As issues regarding the future of radio come before me, I will keep your thoughts in mind and continue to fight for technological progress, innovation, and fairness.It is an honor to serve you in Washington. If you would like more
information on this issue, or would like to share your thoughts with me via e-mail,you may visit my website at sullivan.house.gov. Please do not hesitate to
contact me again should you have further concerns on federal legislation or programs.
wj38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 13:24   #221
Greg_E
Major Dude

Yup, that person is not going to support us.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 27th June 2007, 21:05   #222
wj38

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_E
Yup, that person is not going to support us.

someone once told me that the congressmen and senators are suppose to be working for us. But i am seriously starting to wonder about that!!! well i tried... i don't know what else to try....

oh yeah one more thing i was talking to a manager of one of the local radio stations here and he said "If, the labels and artist don't want to wave the fees so the internet radio stations don't have to pay. then if he was over a radio station he just wouldn't play those artist / labels songs!!!" "If he had to pay then he wouldn't play!!"

To bad this guy don't own a internet radio station....
wj38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 01:36   #223
Greg_E
Major Dude

Yes you did try, so no matter how this turns out you can feel good about what you did. A very large number of streams did absolutely nothing, we'll see how long they remain after the new rates take effect. I'm still not sure what we will do at school. Our budget is pretty much spent until September, and I'm sure that Sound Exchange will want the other part of the flat fee as soon as possible.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 28th June 2007, 07:10   #224
SorceryKid

That's known as a form response. Most reps are very busy with many issues and can't write custom responses to every constituent.

--Randall

Executive Director, SWCI
www.smallwebcaster.org // Redefining Music Royalties for Small Webcasters

Legal Disclaimer: The information hereinbefore is not intended to constitute legal advice or consultation nor does it form a legally binding contract.
Old 28th June 2007, 14:25   #225
Greg_E
Major Dude

I just noticed that broadcast processing hardware gian Orban was trying to help us out (as well as them selves). Check out this link http://www.orban.com/plugin and in case they change the page I'll quote the text:

Quote:
NETCASTING IN DANGER !!

The RIAA in the United States of America is at it again. They are trying to shut down small Internet radio services by burdening them with royalty fees that can be larger than a given service's entire income. In many cases, royalty fees for small netcasters have increased by a factor of ten or more, with even more increases on the way. Visit savenetradio.org and write your Senator today and let your voice be heard before July 15, 2007. You can use our suggested text at congress.org, change it, or write your own message. You can look up their addresses and phone numbers at congress.org. Don't let your freedoms and musical choices be determined by large corporate or the wrong interests.

The RIAA should stick to EQ curves and tone controls.
I'm not sure who wrote this, but I'm going to send them an email thanking them for their support! I'll probably send my comments to Greg Ogonowski or maybe Charles Hintz since he deals with the Opticodec that I use.

Any idea when we might have an indication of the final results (if before July 15 that is).

Your mileage may vary!
Old 28th June 2007, 21:16   #226
SorceryKid

I'm thrilled to say that the testimony we submitted to the House Small Business Committee has made its way into Thursday's edition of RAIN.

For those who are interested, the complete hearing can be viewed on YouTube.

--Randall
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:05   #227
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

The way I see it is this....

The people who will be hurt THE MOST (Outside of the listener of course) are those like me who produce ALL ORIGINAL content or broadcast content that's in the public domain (Such as content from the Internet Archive's Old Time Radio collection).

How so you ask? Simple.

While those who broadcast music will have to pay some hosting company (who then in turn pays Sound Extortion) more $$$ than they currently do, those of us who broadcast the all original content will have to pay the hosting company THE SAME rates.

The only difference is since there are no royalties involved, there's the isue of the company needing to pocket the $$$ to recoup their expen$e$ they nornally shell out to SE on behalf of other broadcasters who broadcast music.

Can anyone here say HIGHWAY ROBBERY??? And sadly we're not talking about the hosting company being the proverbial robber either.

That's why I'm fighting too.

Cheers

Pat (ala Jeeper One)

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 21:42   #228
puppetj

i hate what's going on, but i have a question about the issue that i dont see a clear answer on, will this effect stations that stream there own music that they record/own them selfs??
like me? the music i'am streaming is music i that is mine the i written & recorded.
puppetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 23:28   #229
Greg_E
Major Dude

No, that will not effect you as you are writing, performing, and recording the music, and have given yourself permission to do anything that you want with the music.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 5th July 2007, 00:18   #230
puppetj

So there is no for "charge per listener", because i thought they where also doing that foolish thing to. You sure?

btw, how do that even find out, how these station are playing , and find you to bill you in the 1st place?
Old 6th July 2007, 11:23   #231
tekdemir21

Send a message via ICQ to tekdemir21
THE RADIO ISN'T BECOMING BUT ,THERE IS THE BROADCASTING PLEASE ,HELP THE PAGE ISN'T BEING OPENED msn: nefretimsin015@hotmail.de
tekdemir21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 19:23   #232
puppetj

what does that mean?
Old 7th July 2007, 03:32   #233
tullerbruc

I'm new to this forum and more or less new to Shoutcast and
I'm in the process of setting-up a station for my adopted daughter from Russia.
I started reading this thread tonight and the more my blood went techno and trance on me especially when I'm doing something postive for my daughter because she's such a great kid and never causes any problems.
Our station will be for fun only...NOT for profit...so this kid can keep in touch with her friends in Russia with their love of techno and trance music, and let them be DJ's also.
That says a lot for kids in a country that most have nothing in life but friends and family.
My personal thoughts on the huge increase in fees makes me believe that some pompass rich A***H*** has figured out a way to grease his pocketbooks even more in the internet and thats with net radio.
I don't mind paying maybe a small fee like a buisness license, and I do agree the many talent music artist should be compensated for their artistic abilities and hard work, but not the people that's trying to bleed us little men dry.
On our last trip to Russia we visited a net station in my daughter's home city and it was exciting for both of us to see how much fun it was for the kids doing the DJ thingy.
We laughed tonight when we discussed the music and copy rights and how those guys had no clue as to what a copy right was...they were just having fun playing their music to listeners and had no sponsorship.
We were walking down a side walk in Moscow and passed a vendor that had just about any music cd you wanted...pirated or copied, $5.00 each.
I know my congressman personally and will contact him at home tomorrow and discuss this issue with him and I'll also offer my support to this fine group here.
My daughter and I both are sitting here tonight listening to the fine techno trance stations on Shoutcast....thank you guys and girls for the great job you're doing in the internet...I think my daughter's and my love of music would be boring without you fine people and your radio stations.
tullerbruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 03:54   #234
dotme

Nice post! The fight isn't over yet either. Most webcasters are in this for the long haul.

dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 12:09   #235
mike allen100

I would like a straight yes or no answear to a simple question.
What does Shoutcast plan to do on the 15th I understand other lists like shoutcast may close down effectivley shutting out non US stations Will shoutcast close?
I would like to make contingency plans.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:50   #236
Greg_E
Major Dude

I doubt Shoutcast will do anything, unless parent company AOL decides that it will no longer support the software. Besides, free is free. If the list goes away at least you won't be out any money. I'm sure there will be other lists if the Shoutcast listing goes away.

Your mileage may vary!
Old 9th July 2007, 15:54   #237
mike allen100

Greg thanks for the answear We stream on 3 platforms but the shoutcast server is the main server the others get their audio from the main one.
Old 11th July 2007, 23:03   #238
tullerbruc

Today

I talked to one of my congressmen last week and his reply to me was something like this...as far as I know now I will support net radio.

I talked to the other one's office today and here is bascially the conversation:
Is the senator familiar with the net radio situation?
Reply: Yes he is
Q: Is he going to support us?
Reply: I don't think he's made-up his mind yet.
Q. Who puts him in office...those thugs or us and would you please ask him to support us?
Reply: I'll pass your concern on to him..is there anything we can help you with?

I will remember that conversation and relay it to my voting friends.
tullerbruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 00:29   #239
NiBL

Quote:
Originally posted by beeerlover

And to be safe... operate at ZERO revenue intake-refuse all money. Been up & running like this for years; never spent or recieved a penny either.
I'm sure you're aware that you still owe licensing fees, even if operating at zero revenue. You know that, right?
NiBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 16:27   #240
SorceryKid

Web Radio Will Go Silent Without Your Help!

On Wednesday afternoon, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals denied all Webcasters' motions for stay of the 2006-2010 royalty rates and terms.

This means that with only a few days remaining before the July 15 deadline, we really need to turn the heat up in Congress. Otherwise, starting Monday morning you will see a rapid decline of streaming music services as Webcasters large and small go silent one by one.

Read the full action alert:
http://www.smallwebcaster.org/advocacy/view.cgi/104

Randall Krause
Small Webcaster Community Initiative
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions