Old 25th December 2010, 02:46   #1
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
SHOUTcast2 configuration builder

WHAMMO!

thinktink's SHOUTcast2 config builder

YouTube Video Walkthrough

Done with all client-side JavaScript so no information gets passed to the server. Compatible with both Firefox and Internet Explorer. You need to enable JavaScript though.

I will continue to tweak it but at least potential SHOUTcasters will have an easier framework with which to build on but it does work straight up with both SC2/YP2 and legacy SC/YP1.

Feedback, whether positive or negative, is welcome.

thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 00:39   #2
ServerRoom

Nice work!
ServerRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 06:44   #3
thinktink
Forum King

Thanks.

P.S.
It's been updated to include more options and storing the settings in cookies for ease of use.
Old 26th December 2010, 07:25   #4
jaromanda
Forum King

nevermind ... I ran it wrong

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 01:24   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
nevermind ... I ran it wrong
Thanks... ...I think...

Update now includes:
  • Installation and Paths settings for daemon/service installs
  • Transcoder Admin port
  • DJPort and DJPort2 (SC2)
  • Calendar file and setting
  • DJ settins with multiple DJs
  • Live Audio Capture configs
Old 27th December 2010, 17:33   #6
thinktink
Forum King

Updated:
  • Replay Gain
  • Misc settings (including DNAS/Transcoder intro & backup files)
  • Fixed bug on path delimiter handling on merge of base & setting during init.
  • YP settings

Later on I will probably add a floating helper box that will give hints and warnings as appropriate. Could probably use some help from DrO, SC_faisal, and other veterans on that.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by thinktink; 27th December 2010 at 17:49. Reason: spelling
Old 28th December 2010, 19:38   #7
PhoenixWarez

Send a message via MSN to PhoenixWarez Send a message via Yahoo to PhoenixWarez Send a message via Skype™ to PhoenixWarez
Hello, thinkkthink;

Wich file does onne save the configuration text to?

Please reply.

Best reguardes;
- Miguel de la Nieves

Please follow one of my affiliate links so I may continue construction of PhoenixWarez,Unlimited!
Get a free .com/.net/.info domain name or use your own here!
Learn to speak Japanese like a pro by clicking here!
PhoenixWarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 19:46   #8
thinktink
Forum King

At the bottom of the page the first large box contains the contents to copy/paste into the sc_serv.conf file.

The other big box next to it is for the sc_trans.conf file.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:48   #9
DrO

PhoenixWarez: you can save it to any text filename that you want to, you just have to make sure to pass that filename to sc_serv2 when running it.

thinktink: i've not had a chance to properly look at this though looks great from a quick check. i had been toying with the idea of something like this myself as there seems to be a complete issue with people following the newer example files *shrugs* though this saves me some work (though i should really learn a bit more about javascript at some point soon ).

only thing i'm not personally keen on is with it filling in things which are otherwise already set as a default value by the tool as a wall of 50 lines seems to scare the life out of most noobies.

also am wondering (once i've got the wiki pages sorted out) if help links or something like that could be done between this and the wiki probably in a mini 'help' frame.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 21:53   #10
thinktink
Forum King

@PhoenixWarez:
DrO is correct, you could save the files as "muckamuckafracknarf.barf" and "muckamuckafrackgas.chuck" and as long as you passed the file name in the startup line it would still work. (ie: "sc_serv.exe muckamuckafracknarf.barf" and "sc_trans.exe muckamuckafrackgas.chuck" respectively.)

@DrO:
Actually, it had been a while since the last time I played with JavaScript and I had to relearn a bunch of stuff but because JavaScript is pretty close (in format) to C++ it wasn't terribly painful. lol Oh, and you're welcome to look at the JavaScript source if you want.

I had considered a bit about the defaults. Most of them described in the docs do make sense. The problem with defaults though is that sometimes they change between builds (not that there's anything wrong with that intrinsicly) After thinking about it I decided that "Konsistency is King." If, for example, someone was to report an error or a problem with the configs generated I would know what to expect as far as what was originally specified and could confidently attempt to replicate the error/problem for testing later on. There are alot of options though that if the fields are left blank (or manually erased) the script won't output the corresponding config option at all thereby setting that option to the current build's default. One of the goals of the page though is to make consistently replicable and successful configs across current and future sc_serv/sc_trans builds regardless of what the defaults could be in the future. I thought that would be best. It is negotiable though.

For the wiki, if the SHOUTcast team or AOL would like to include the configurator by either linking to it or just ripping it off my server and hosting it themselves (which would probably be a better idea although if they do I would like to be able to edit it myself should the need arise (but it's not a requirement)) I don't mind.

Old 28th December 2010, 22:23   #11
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Actually, it had been a while since the last time I played with JavaScript and I had to relearn a bunch of stuff but because JavaScript is pretty close (in format) to C++ it wasn't terribly painful. lol Oh, and you're welcome to look at the JavaScript source if you want.
already had a quick look and it makes more sense to me than some of the other javascript i've looked at recently

Quote:
One of the goals of the page though is to make consistently replicable and successful configs across current and future sc_serv/sc_trans builds regardless of what the defaults could be in the future. I thought that would be best.
yeah that makes complete sense. only mentioned it based on what i've been seeing from other threads where too much on a page / file seems to cause more confusion. though maybe it could be tweaked to have a 'full' mode and an 'expert' mode which just strips out what isn't needed. and yes it makes sense about defaults being changed though i guess it makes more sense to only support the most current versions of the tools and / or provide a legacy option as an older page or something like that (just thunking out-loud at the moment). though with the few defaults i've changed in the second round of drops and the changes for the next round i'm probably not helping things (though am changing only default paths on the windows versions to prevent some of the Vista / Windows 7 access issues that have been reported recently).

Quote:
For the wiki, if the SHOUTcast team or AOL would like to include the configurator by either linking to it or just ripping it off my server and hosting it themselves (which would probably be a better idea although if they do I would like to be able to edit it myself should the need arise (but it's not a requirement)) I don't mind.
i was actually going to ask if you'd be ok about that as it seems a bit silly to re-invent the wheel to do the same thing as you've done as i was looking to do anyway though i can happily sort out help links, etc for things. something to talk about over the next few days i think as i'd possibly thought of shipping the configurator directly so a known version would always be in the distro for the version(s) being setup

-daz
Old 29th December 2010, 05:12   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
already had a quick look and it makes more sense to me than some of the other javascript i've looked at recently
lol, properly named variables ftw! Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
...i'd possibly thought of shipping the configurator directly...
That's an interesting thought and I can't think of a legit reason to be against it at the moment.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:42   #13
thinktink
Forum King

Updated...

...because I'm a dumbass.

Somebody, please find a spoon and stab me in the throat with it...

Fixed.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:02   #14
DrO

/me gets out a spork...

btw, just noticed that you've got it starting from _0 for the sc_serv stream configs (from the other discussion about such things).

-daz
Old 29th December 2010, 17:24   #15
thinktink
Forum King

I tested it and it worked. Straight up copy and paste to the config files. Thing is though the errors from sc_trans complaining about not being able to connect to the shoutcast server with metadata stopped. Odd. I thought it wouldn't matter what the index started with just as long as the sid's matched.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:27   #16
DrO

well it'll work with _0 as the start but _0 is then replaced with the values from _1 as that's how it is all mapped in sc_serv plus it depends if requirestreamconfigs is set otherwise most of the time it'll just let things through however it gets it from the sources. only pointing it out if from the other discussion there is the want to standardise things (though some things i'm doing on sc_serv may break that again...).

-daz
Old 29th December 2010, 17:39   #17
thinktink
Forum King

So I should change it back to starting with _1?
Old 29th December 2010, 17:43   #18
DrO

for the sc_serv parts yes please. and for sc_trans when that is changed when the next drop of it is released.

-daz
Old 29th December 2010, 18:18   #19
thinktink
Forum King

k, will do now...
Old 29th December 2010, 18:36   #20
thinktink
Forum King

Done and tested. Thanks DrO.

Old 30th December 2010, 07:16   #21
thinktink
Forum King

Updated:

Added more misc options and forgotten option in transcoder config endpoint name. lol

Also added a floaty thingy helper window with help text for some of the controls. Not finished yet, I need some zzzzzzzzzzzzz's....

*slams head into pillow*

Old 30th December 2010, 07:29   #22
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Not finished yet, I need some zzzzzzzzzzzzz's....
no commitment ... I'll code while I'm alive, sleep when I'm dead

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 09:31   #23
DrO

not too keen on the floaty thing tbh plus it seems to clip the bottom of the text in what i've seen and overlap parts / drop to the bottom (though i'd guess that's from being a w.i.p.).

i just need to find more hours in the day to have a proper sit down as there's a few things i'd like to have a tinker with to see if they'd work before suggesting.

-daz
Old 30th December 2010, 14:46   #24
thinktink
Forum King

Odd, it's not clipping on me. What browser you using?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:00   #25
DrO

FF 3.6.13. have attached a copy of what i'm seeing (note the bottom parts of the upper line covered over by the bottom line).

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	273
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	48232  
Old 30th December 2010, 15:04   #26
thinktink
Forum King

Ok, I'm seeing it now. Just didn't notice it right away, was more concentrating on the content of the text.

As far as overlapping, if you grab the title bar you can move it out of the way.

If not floaty, did you have something else in mind?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:08   #27
thinktink
Forum King

I took out the white background on the text span. It stopped clipping.

Gonna continue to bang out the help text in the code. Either way if the floaty thing gets dropped and replaced with something else I can reuse the help text code.
Old 30th December 2010, 17:44   #28
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
i just need to find more hours in the day to have a proper sit down as there's a few things i'd like to have a tinker with to see if they'd work before suggesting
Actually, go ahead and suggest stuff now. Would mean much less work for you and I can test to see if it would work for even less work on your part.

I might not be working tomorrow so anything you have on your brain today go ahead and post, ideal time now. Tomorrow will probably be a slamming day to get stuff done.

Old 30th December 2010, 19:38   #29
DrO

i've attached a preview of what i've been tinkering with for the last few hours (been getting annoyed with the feature i'm trying to add to sc_serv so thought i'd do something a bit more productive). i've just re-used the sc_trans testui style for the colours (mainly to test with a nicer font than the default). is a few more things i'd like to fix with alignments and then i can send a copy over if you like?

main thing i was thinking is keeping more things on screen instead of scrolling all the way down / having the quirky floating help part so that everything is in the same place (thinking of noobies getting confused with things otherwise moving around).

only other thing would be to have the help file in a separate file than the main script so it can be updated just as that instead of altering the main script (but that's just thinking of a management of it).

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2confbuild.png
Views:	401
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	48234  
Old 30th December 2010, 19:41   #30
thinktink
Forum King

I like it!

Looks very do-able.

Yes, send it over.

Old 30th December 2010, 19:49   #31
DrO

will send it over in a few hours then btw, i've removed the personalisation from it though there will be a little credit part in to reference you as original author.

only other thing i've not got around to looking into was the 'clean' file i'd mentioned in a previous post but that's not essential, just having it working as it does is good.

one thing that has come to mind is if it's easy / possible to make it save the contents of the text area instead of having to do the manual copy+paste stage? can't remember how much access javascript would have for doing something like that.

-daz
Old 30th December 2010, 20:36   #32
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
only other thing i've not got around to looking into was the 'clean' file i'd mentioned in a previous post but that's not essential, just having it working as it does is good.
It's a good idea but I'll need to have a think about that one for a while to figure out how to implement that.

Quote:
one thing that has come to mind is if it's easy / possible to make it save the contents of the text area instead of having to do the manual copy+paste stage? can't remember how much access javascript would have for doing something like that.
The access ain't much. I can look into it but without transferring the data to a server it's not likely. Unless you know of something. I could be wrong and I would love to be wrong, would make things MUCH easier for the user to be able to do that.

[EDIT /]
I might have found some viable solutions for downloading/transfering the config data to a file but it'll take a bit more research and experimentation.

Last edited by thinktink; 30th December 2010 at 21:36.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:56   #33
DrO

just pm'd you the copies of what i've done.

Quote:
It's a good idea but I'll need to have a think about that one for a while to figure out how to implement that.
yeah, only thing i can think off is doing a check when things are built against a second copy of the values and if using the 'clean' mode it'll just skip those instead. though not too sure how much that'd slow things down considering what its running in.

yeah, does seem there are someways to get the data to be saved though doesn't seem there is an easy way unless running with a php server that can be accessed.

-daz
Old 30th December 2010, 22:58   #34
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
just pm'd you the copies of what i've done.
I got it. Very excellent work although it might be easier on the eyes if the scrollable areas had some kind of styled frame or border. That's the only thing I see wrong with it.

Quote:
yeah, only thing i can think off is doing a check when things are built against a second copy of the values and if using the 'clean' mode it'll just skip those instead. though not too sure how much that'd slow things down considering what its running in.
Actually, I just thought of something. Gonna experiment with AJAX and a separate pseudo csv/xml reference table.

Quote:
yeah, does seem there are someways to get the data to be saved though doesn't seem there is an easy way unless running with a php server that can be accessed.
I'm trying to stay as far away as possible from relying on a server. No security issues that way and it stays portable. I have some ideas just gimmie some time.

I'll start hammering away as soon as I get home off work.

All in all very excellent work DrO.

Old 31st December 2010, 08:31   #35
thinktink
Forum King

I sent you a PM with updated config builder files. I think you'll like it.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:15   #36
DrO

Quote:
I think you'll like it.
very much so

-daz
Old 31st December 2010, 13:26   #37
damn68

Dro when are we going to get a sample to test it.
damn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 13:35   #38
DrO

you can already use it from thinktink's link and i believe he'll be uploading the adjusted version at some point later though it doesn't change the functionaility currently offered, is just refinement of the ui. or have i mis-understood what you mean?

btw, if you still have issues then i can do what you pm'd about though not until next week.

-daz
Old 31st December 2010, 14:23   #39
thinktink
Forum King

Done.

http://bogproghome.hopto.org/Configurator.html

P.S.
The old link still works, just did a perma redirect in my .htaccess to the updated version.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:42   #40
thinktink
Forum King

Yo DrO... *cackles with an ear-to-ear shit-eating grin*

I got the downloader working.

Just needs some touch-ups and style continuity.

Hangon...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
config, sc2, yp2