Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Closed Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 16:26   #41
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i'm really not sure having full peak monitoring (i.e. another tab) in the DSP is really suitable for what the DSP is intended for. as adding in more complex logging over a variable timescale is more of a pro-tool feature i'd have thought.
what about my last idea in my "edit" though, where you wouldn't need any logging, just peak fall offs and a continuous comparison in realtime where a single peak value is noted?

Quote:
Winamp does have such a feature and that just keeps a track over a few seconds at most. it also has the advantage of drawing the vu itself instead of re-using a Windows progress bar control for the vu (as the DSP does) which doesn't really allow for such a ui state (not without going the custom drawing route). i'm not sure from development time if implementing a custom control for that would be worth it.
i'd be fine with doing this in winamp instead of the dsp, but would winamp show what i'm feeding the soundcard?

also, how do i see what you are saying winamp already has? how do i display it? i'm not familiar with what you are talking about.

Quote:
the only obvious option (if this was to be done) would be to show it with the current level either to the side or below like in the attached screenshot (ignoring my lame copy+paste work), just then leaves what timescale to cover it for (just peak since starting is the simplest, though it's not too hard to have it track the levels over a single time period).

-daz
i like the screen shot, but i think maybe the "Summary" tab is less crowded if you want to use an existing tab. on the summary tab there is plenty of space to display the peak values and give some bit of explanation.

if you can do both, that would be great, meaning on the summary tab you'd have both 1. the single highest peak level since it was connected, and 2. whatever the longest time interval is you'd be comfortable monitoring (for peak in that interval).

maybe that should be a short time though, since #1 could be a long time in theory.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 20th July 2011, 16:42   #42
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
what about my last idea in my "edit" though, where you wouldn't need any logging, just peak fall offs and a continuous comparison in realtime where a single peak value is noted?
it still requires doing some sort of logging no matter what would be done with peak tracking (it's just not logging in the sense of logging to a real file).

Quote:
i'd be fine with doing this in winamp instead of the dsp, but would winamp show what i'm feeding the soundcard?

also, how do i see what you are saying winamp already has? how do i display it? i'm not familiar with what you are talking about.
i had a feeling i hadn't clarified that point correctly. what i was referring to was the ui drawing rather than an actual action.

Quote:
i like the screen shot, but i think maybe the "Summary" tab is less crowded if you want to use an existing tab. on the summary tab there is plenty of space to display the peak values and give some bit of explanation.
there's enough room on both views as the soundcard controls can be dropped about 20px.

Quote:
if you can do both, that would be great, meaning on the summary tab you'd have both 1. the single highest peak level since it was connected, and 2. whatever the longest time interval is you'd be comfortable monitoring (for peak in that interval).

maybe that should be a short time though, since #1 could be a long time in theory.
a few minutes most would be what i'd have thought. if it was to be done then i'd probably add in an ini-only option for overriding that duration, though at most i'm just considering doing peak over the duration, but really i'd rather focus on the title handling changes from the middle of the prior page than looking into this for the time being.

-daz
Old 20th July 2011, 16:52   #43
MrSinatra
Forum King

i understand DrO, but i thought i'd log this request too. i'm gratified that you see "worthiness" in both requests, and i can be patient waiting to see how you implement either. i'm just glad you're willing to do so at all. i can assure you that folks at real radio stations will definitely consider these things worthy and useful additions that make their product better, and i would argue make the DSP superior over competing options.

--
Old 7th August 2011, 23:33   #44
mirzahome

Hi,

I already searched a lot and didn't find solution of it. It seems v.2.2.3 fix this issue but I am still facing this error.

2011-08-08 04:29:51 Cipher Response received
2011-08-08 04:29:51 Cipher Response received. Try enabling 'SHOUTcast v1 mode'.
2011-08-08 04:30:21 Not Connected

I am putting every detail correctly. Direct coping from the page and pasting in it.

Using
http://www.listen2myradio.com/

If I enable SHOUTcast v1 mode then Username got disable and only option to enter password. Try to connect but getting Authentication Error: Invalid Username or Password.

Please help. Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 00:35   #45
DrO

mirzahome: as listen2myradio only provide v1 DNAS, the DSP needs to be in v1 mode. as you're getting an 'Invalid Username or Password' error when doing that, you'd need to contact them to make sure that you have the correct password to use (isn't something that we can help with as it's a 3rd party hosting service).

-daz
Old 8th August 2011, 02:05   #46
mirzahome

Thanks for quick response.
They reset my password.
Its working with 'SHOUTcast v1 mode'

Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 09:32   #47
DrO

the high quality of listen2myradio strikes again. glad it's working ok now.

-daz
Old 25th August 2011, 03:49   #48
DjKrisKros

hey guys i run a budding shoutcast thing i have about 30 regular listeners...but the main reason i cant make my cast better is because frequently when i switch input from winamp to soundcard for my mic.....it would stick and the program would stop responding and have to be closed and reopened...u can see how this poses a seroous problem as i'm running a live shoutcast any help u can offer?....im running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.....
Old 25th August 2011, 08:24   #49
DrO

DjKrisKros: i've seen that happen during testing and the issue is a mix of using the DSP on Windows 7 whilst trying to use an audio API which was built for Windows 3.x and bugs in soundcard drivers. there's not too much i can really do about it as i can never replicate the issue consistently and doesn't happen on all setups i can try.

ideally the whole setup of the plug-in needs to be changed so that it will work better on Windows 7 but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

-daz
Old 25th August 2011, 16:21   #50
DjKrisKros

damn...so meanwhile are there any suggestions u can give me do my thing while i wait on u guys to fix it.........i tried looin for other programs but winamp is the best not regarding this little bug....plz plz plz tell me there's somethin i can do now....
Old 25th August 2011, 16:31   #51
DrO

maybe you can use something like a virtual audio cable setup and have that route Winamp's output back to a virtual line-in and then use the DSP in soundcard mode in all cases. though i'm not 100% if that will work (not using that sort of software), but it's the only thing i can think off at the moment if you're explicitly wanting to use a Winamp + DSP setup.

-daz
Old 25th August 2011, 19:26   #52
DjKrisKros

would using windows vista solve the problem?....cause that i can do lol...
Old 25th August 2011, 19:32   #53
DrO

i wouldn't recommend using vista - is effectively the same sort of changes under the hood as Windows 7. also i assume you've made sure you're using current soundcard drivers?

-daz
Old 25th August 2011, 20:17   #54
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm surprised to hear 7 still supports 3's API

--
Old 25th August 2011, 20:56   #55
DrO

it was done so that the old apis were re-implemented on top of the new ones but there's some quirks with it which is most likely what is being seen - just like how it's not possible (so far) for the DSP able to Winamp audio + mic at the same time as is possible on XP.

-daz
Old 9th September 2011, 04:54   #56
Tigrdog

Quote:
maybe you can use something like a virtual audio cable setup and have that route Winamp's output back to a virtual line-in and then use the DSP in soundcard mode in all cases. though i'm not 100% if that will work (not using that sort of software), but it's the only thing i can think off at the moment if you're explicitly wanting to use a Winamp + DSP setup.

-daz
Hi Dr O,

I am ahving the same disconnect problem with the V 2.2.3 on switching off the winamp (5.621) to the soundcard mic. The system just crashes. I'm using a HP Lap Vista 64.

I have tried to go back to the v1.9.8 as I think this held up pretty well for me, but cannot find a good d/l.
My possible solution may be what you seem to be eluding to in your quote....I am gonna try a mixer set up and see if I can just avoid the soundcard toggle situation all together.

Thoughts , or any possible fixes otherwise?... the other DJ's seem to be having the same problems, thoses that are not incorporating mixers.

Appreciate any ideas!
Rik
Old 9th September 2011, 08:53   #57
DrO

there has never been a v1.9.8 of the Source DSP so i don't know how you'd be able to go back to that. i think you're possibly mixing up the old DNAS version with the Source DSP.

i've a thought on something i can try to check / revert some changes which were meant to improve the soundcard switch handling (from issues others had been seeing) but i won't be able to do that for a few days at the earliest (as i've currently got to change the in-stream albumart handling as that's been causing bigger stream stability issues).

-daz
Old 9th September 2011, 17:02   #58
Tigrdog

Dr. O,

Thank you for your quick response.... Yes I'm am mistaken on the v1.9.8 remark, I'm sure I just ment the earlier version on the dsp.

Anyways, I want the v2.2.3 to work and wish to forget the older versions, as I know that's best.
I will anxiously await to see what you come up with on the soundcard switch.

I was sorta holding off d/l'ing the dsp 2.2.3 again, but I may go ahead and play wif it through the weekend...and await my mixer to come in as well.

Thanks again.

Rik
New Orleans
Old 13th September 2011, 14:59   #59
DrO

Tigrdog: have sent you a pm with a link to a test build of the DSP to try out to see if a code reversion and some loading changes will resolve the issue you're seeing.

-daz
Old 14th September 2011, 16:01   #60
wsimkins

It's been working GREAT for me!
Old 9th October 2011, 10:59   #61
mjbrown

I have a question about the AAC codec changes. I was enjoying running 256 kbps and 128 kbps AAC-LC streams with the 2.2.1 plugin and Winamp 5.601. When I updated to the plugin v2.2.3, both streams became AAC+ only, and the high-bitrate stream was sending 0 bytes to the server until I went in and re-chose the bitrate, where I am now restricted to max 128 kbps. Will upgrading Winamp re-enable AAC-LC and higher bitrates, or is this the new way of things?
Old 9th October 2011, 19:30   #62
DrO

mjbrown: the change is sort of to do with the handling that's needed between the AAC encoder between 5.61 and earlier and 5.62 and later (which changed from Coding Technologies [CT] to Fraunhofer's) and that AAC LC wasn't fully supported by the Directory (was reported as audio/aacp which isn't correct to get such streams listed). also the AAC LC encoder has issues which now cannot be fixed which caused it to randomly not work at times.

as for the bitrate values, the new Fraunhofer based one varies the mode and handling of things as needed (though there's a few bugs in the sample rate going to 88.2kHz at higher bitrates which is resolved for whenever the next Winamp release happens) and goes from 12kps up to 448kbps, unlike the old CT one as you've seen.

so i'd just upgrade Winamp and use the new one as the old CT one doesn't have any support now and as you've seen has certain limitations. also from the Hydrogen Audio tests of the different AAC encoders @ 96kps (so not quite the same sample rate but hopefully related), the new one came out better in the tests than the old CT based encodings.

obviously the choice is yours on what to go with as to what Winamp + DSP versions, etc, though the DSP won't be changed for legacy Winamp versions now.

-daz
Old 10th October 2011, 08:02   #63
mjbrown

Thanks for the excellent explanation and also for your tireless work on SHOUTcast and Winamp. I've gone ahead and upgraded my Winamp version and it's working out well. The FhG codec and its options are exactly what I was looking for. The sound quality and CPU usage are comparable to CT's, and the bitrate options are stellar.

I participated in that 96 kbps test and my results were consistent with the averages. In CT's defense, I'll say the only actual poor performer was the low anchor (faac), and all the rest (Nero, FhG, QuickTime, CT) were all very much in the same league, all quite good and barely different from each other. There were some killer samples in the test which exposed weaknesses in CT and Nero, but they're likely to be edge cases, unless you're running a 24-hour flamenco station.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:32   #64
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Suggestion for DSP logging

I have a suggestion for DSP logging.

Would it be possible to add to the logging mechanism the address, port, and legacy mode of failed connection attempts? I think it would help for future troubleshooting purposes in case somebody typo's an address or port or attempts to connect to a legacy server with a v2 protocol.

I haven't seen it yet (I think) so I'm just thinking ahead at the moment.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:23   #65
DrO

mjbrown: i didn't think the CT one was too bad and i've not really noticed much of a difference with the FhG one, though with other background noise in my room that's not too hard. as long as it's working ok and is easier to setup then that's the main thing.

thinktink: that's a good idea and have made a note of it. though if connecting in the wrong mode (v1 instead of v2) then it'll already flag it up on the ui but makes sense as too many people don't look at the status messages. will also make sense with one of the other changes i've been playing with on the summary page (as per attachment)

-daz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summary_changes.png
Views:	306
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	49219  
Old 17th October 2011, 18:27   #66
MrSinatra
Forum King

i dig those changes!

--
Old 17th October 2011, 20:22   #67
DrO

new attachment is for some of the other ui changes i'm looking to make for the next release which is needed for some parts (like the title handling changes) to give enough room, etc.

-daz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsp_changes.png
Views:	374
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	49220  
Old 17th October 2011, 21:33   #68
MrSinatra
Forum King

will you still have room for the external, file provided/HD change, title updates we talked about elsewhere? (and the peak levels?) not a bump, just a Q.

--
Old 17th October 2011, 21:39   #69
DrO

there's space on the title's page for the external file parts (are on the dialog but hidden as there's nothing implemented for that yet).

as for the peak stuff, if it does happen, then there's enough space on the pages already for doing that with some slight moving things about.

-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 20:01   #70
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
Would it be possible to add to the logging mechanism the address, port, and legacy mode of failed connection attempts?
Something like the following maybe?
Quote:
2011-10-18 20:59:09 Not Connected
2011-10-18 20:59:10 Connecting to... Server: localhost ; Port: 7000 ; Mode: v2 ; Stream ID: 1 ; DJ / User ID: n/a
2011-10-18 20:59:10 Sending Cipher request
-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 20:10   #71
thinktink
Forum King

Yes, except remove that extra space between the parameter entry and the semicolon. That way superfluous spaces can be more easily detected by a quick look at the logs:
Quote:
2011-10-18 20:59:09 Not Connected
2011-10-18 20:59:10 Connecting to... Server: localhost; Port: 7000; Mode: v2; Stream ID: 1; DJ / User ID: n/a
2011-10-18 20:59:10 Sending Cipher request
Old 18th October 2011, 20:14   #72
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
remove that extra space between the parameter entry and the semicolon
done. now back to re-enabling the artwork sending i had to break to fix some title sending issues - probably the cause of that random blank data in the output you were seeing since it helped resolve some issues with the site flash player that only the DSP exposed and seems to match up with blank data being sent.

-daz
Old 18th October 2011, 20:17   #73
thinktink
Forum King

Old 19th October 2011, 14:42   #74
DrO

Quote:
as for the peak stuff, if it does happen, then there's enough space on the pages already for doing that with some slight moving things about.
MrSinatra: for the moment it's just going to be the peak since the DSP was started or the input device changed and have set it up as per the attachment for the next drop (the fixed duration tracking may be implemented for that, no guarantees).

-daz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	peaks.png
Views:	397
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	49227  
Old 19th October 2011, 18:19   #75
MrSinatra
Forum King

this is fantastic! tbh, peak since dsp started is prob my pref anyway. and i'm really looking forward to streaming artwork, is it going to be a while before the client supports it tho?

--
Old 20th October 2011, 08:12   #76
DrO

not too sure when streaming artwork will be able to be displayed in Winamp as that needs some noticeable changes in how artwork is handled to allow for streams to be handled with it - since it was never considered at the time Winamp only copes with non-http files for such things from what i remember when i looked into it 6+months ago.

-daz
Old 26th October 2011, 02:57   #77
ohnoanotherputz

So the problem people are having in switching from winamp to the microphone? It's happening to me too and I am definitely using Windows XP and not vista or 7.
Old 26th October 2011, 19:05   #78
DrO

ohnoanotherputz: all i can say is you'll have to wait for the next release to see if that improves things (since i've not had anything back from the test versions sent and i'm not going to send a partial build of the DSP as it is currently in).

-daz
Old 1st November 2011, 19:57   #79
MrSinatra
Forum King

dopey question:

is it the dsp that controls what metadata is sent to the dnas?

i am pretty sure the dsp will send:

artist
title
art

but what else?

album? albumartist? ratings? RG values? year? genre? composer? comments? track #?

can an option be added to simply pass thru all metadata? or is this way more complicated than i understand?

--
Old 1st November 2011, 20:17   #80
DrO

depends on the mode the DSP is operating in.

for v1 mode it'll just try to send an 'artist - title' type string (depending on what it can pull from Winamp and it's ATF settings).

for v2 mode it'll basically send through what is specified with http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcas...lds_To_Support if it can be read from Winamp's metadata apis.

it is slightly abusing some of the ID3v2.x frame names but since it's a custom format to cope also with other file formats it's not an issue, especially as we've documented it and is down to the client to add support for it (assuming the client supports the 2.0 protocol) - even Winamp doesn't expose most of that data since no one has added in the code support for it.

and to round things off, with the Transcoder it will send more through if found (is mentioned in the earlier parts of that document) though i'm thinking of dropping that to only do what the DSP sends (will likely re-purpose one of the config options to allow that) since a lot of what it can send is just excessive and is wasting bandwidth for no real reason.

and with the art, that's another story as that was sent as an APIC entry but was changed back in March to instead be sent as 2.0 metadata packet(s) of their own type which keeps normal metadata updates back to a sensible size and also means it can be better controlled (was otherwise sent as a base64 encoded blob which was a pain). i should probably remove the apic references from the docs.

-daz
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions